Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Callum - Thursday/Friday 11/12 October 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Zzippy wrote: »
    Yes indeed. The trees really have shed a lot of leaves since Ali. In fact Ali seemed to 'damage' a lot of leaves and they fell off substantially over the subsequent week. I noticed a lot of trees were half brown and half green a few days after Ali - the windward side was brown.

An Ali-type storm now in Galway would not bring down the amount of trees or branches that came down in 3-4 hours that day.

That must be a relief for you. ;)

Aye it's great to shed those black spot ridden leaves. I am planning a total detox this winter to prevent another outbreak next year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Have these strong autumn storms become more frequent? Maybe sryan might chime in.

Don't want to ignite a climate change war, just seems to me that they are compared to when I was younger.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ICON 18Z bringing the center of the storm closer again to the country, stronger winds to the right of the center with more widespread strong winds over the country.

ICON often overplays the wind speeds a bit, nevertheless this looks very severe.

Gusts

tempresult_fga0.gif

Mean wind speeds

tempresult_vel4.gif

tempresult_hvg9.gif

iconeu_uk1-52-120-0_maq3.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The storm en route Thurs showing 45 to 65 Kt barbs . Mean speeds.

NOAA

VTMN6Br.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Great posts Meteorite as usual

Any chance you could remove the Joint Cyclone Center tweet? It is purporting to be an official source but actually isn't - the public could be deceived. Cheers

So rare to have such consistency so far out.

114-515UK_jza4.GIF

ECU1-120_jbk7.GIF

U120-21UK_sgm3.GIF

iconeu_uk1-24-114-0_gvt6.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭pauldry

Hope a speed up of this system will mean a Thursday night storm so schools n work on pay day wont be affected.

A 100mm week of rain likely here in the Northwest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I'm catching a ferry to UK on Weds, return Sun, I'm literally panicking, I'm not great at observing the charts, hit me with it, am I in trouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

airy fairy wrote: »
    I'm catching a ferry to UK on Weds, return Sun, I'm literally panicking, I'm not great at observing the charts, hit me with it, am I in trouble?

No, I'd be surprised if your sailings were disrupted on either day (unless you're booked on a fast catamaran) . The potential for very low pressure areas in the near Atlantic during the next 10 days will mean a decent swell throughout and gusty winds will contribute to choppy seas, but nothing that the ships on all the Irish sea routes don't cope with routinely in the winter months. Pop a few Kwells, you'll be golden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Larbre34 wrote: »
    No, I'd be surprised if your sailings were disrupted on either day (unless you're booked on a fast catamaran) . The potential for very low pressure areas in the near Atlantic during the next 10 days will mean a decent swell throughout and gusty winds will contribute to choppy seas, but nothing that the ships on all the Irish sea routes don't cope with routinely in the winter months. Pop a few Kwells, you'll be golden.

Ummmm, thanks, I think!!!!
    It's the swell I'm concerned about. I've got huge anxiety on smooth crossings, I'll be a basket case on anything more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Anyone have any thoughts on whether this will still pose a problem for travel (driving, not air) on Saturday afternoon? Have to drive from Waterford back to Dublin, but could plan to stay an extra night if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I think people need to take the usual caveat of -'Storm systems, especially strong ones, can rapidly change in the preceding days. If you can, leave deciding on anything until the Wednesday or Thursday before. Also, I'd like to point out that a system that strikes during the day on Friday will generally speaking have little to no effect on the day before and after (in terms of further disruption).'

I normally paraphrase that for systems like this, and it applies equally now.

ARPEGE looks like an average of the models this morning. Track shifted slightly W in general apart from the ICON bringing it closer to Ireland than the other models. Potentially unsettled weather to follow as wel.

npTX0NZ.png

cltkMmk.png

tempresult_nmm7.gif

tempresult_ypb3.gif

UKMO very similar track to the other main models.

9QblwnQ.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Last night was appalling here. Far worse then forecast? West Mayo offshore.

Altering my plans for the week..

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

Apologies if this is no the right place to be asking

Due to fly out of Cork Friday morning (06:00), what are people thoughts on impact to air traffic, or is it too early to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Apologies if this is no the right place to be asking

Due to fly out of Cork Friday morning (06:00), what are people thoughts on impact to air traffic, or is it too early to ask?

Too early to pin down exact timings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Artane2002

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Too early to pin down exact timings.

This applies to anyone travelling from any airport on Friday too in case more people are curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Artane2002

First mention of severe gusts from Met Éireann:

Friday: Wet and very windy; southwest winds with some severe gusts during the morning. The winds will ease in the afternoon, becoming light in the evening time. Rain turning more to showers through the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Artane2002 wrote:
    Friday: Wet and very windy; southwest winds with some severe gusts during the morning. The winds will ease in the afternoon, becoming light in the evening time. Rain turning more to showers through the day.

Artane2002 wrote:
    First mention of severe gusts from Met Éireann:

Hurricane coming so

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭newholland mad

Is there much rain expected with this system in the southeast?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

We going with one thread for Callum and Leslie? A wet windy end to the week coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Is there much rain expected with this system in the southeast?

Possibly up to 40mm by end of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Can yis remember to link these event threads from the main season discussion thread? I completely missed this one till just now!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Anyone expecting red warning levels with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭pauldry

Depends on track

So far a little too far West for Red (just a little)

But that could change

6Z GFS keeps it quite a bit offshore for now.

gfs-0-90_foe7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

17-pdr wrote: »
    6Z GFS keeps it quite a bit offshore for now.

Yeah, but it's worth noting that the worst winds are on the eastern half of this storm, so you'd want it to go either way off shore, or pass over the east. As it is:

1Cy1h1l.gif

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    Yeah, but it's worth noting that the worst winds are on the eastern half of this storm, so you'd want it to go either way off shore, or pass over the east. As it is:

Yep. I see Leslie comes into view on the last few frames of that chart. GFS has it following a similar track to the Friday storm (for now). ECM sends Leslie into Spain and dissipating.

Advertisement