Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Front of the UK daily star today predicts worse snow fall for 70 years over Christmas.

Well it makes a change that it’s not the Daily Express I guess:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Front of the UK daily star today predicts worse snow fall for 70 years over Christmas.

People in the UK had better stock up on their snow shovels then. After all if a red top tabloid newspaper predicts this it must be true. Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Today is just consistent drizzle and fog, no let up whatsoever. Windless however. It never actually got bright today.

West Clare.

(Oops posted this originally in the autumn thread, keep forgetting today is the first of December!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Jesus I wish it was summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Horrible grey dark misty day

• Advertisement

Horrible grey dark misty day

At least it’s not lashing rain or bitter cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

This must be one of the worst depressing days weather wise this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I'd prefer cold and bright myself. Im neither a snow lover, nor a hater, but brightness trumps this kind of greyness.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Ah i dont mind the cold, i'd take bitter cold and sunny over this muck

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

as dark and cloudy as today was, at least it wasn't pouring rain all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Gonzo wrote: »
    as dark and cloudy as today was, at least it wasn't pouring rain all day.

No consolation. Give me crisp and dry weather over this dank muck any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I got some consolation... take a look at the GFS 12z. FI but it's better to look at than staring at this mist and drizzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Artane2002 wrote: »
    I got some consolation... take a look at the GFS 12z. FI but it's better to look at than staring at this mist and drizzle.

Indeed. I Was just about to post a chart in the fi thread:) Let's hope tonights ECM shows something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Indeed. I Was just about to post a chart in the fi thread:) Let's hope tonights ECM shows something similar.

Cold north easterlies with snow for the east :)

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Cold north easterlies with snow for the east :)

Just double checked the charts now and now I'm not sure if there would be snow. Pressure looks too high but the SSTs are high too so maybe some light snow showers or snizzle. The precip chart itself does show snow though. If the high was farther north then we'd be in business.

Also MT said this on Netweather:
    I feel also that everything is slowly falling into place for blocking and cold outbreaks, a key period will be 19 to 23 Dec with a high energy peak that may occur as blocking starts to develop. That could produce diving low pressure (NW-SE track) followed by much colder temperatures in Britain and Ireland.

The North American cold regime that was quite robust around mid-November has weakened somewhat in response to the onset of a classic west coast El Nino pattern (this sometimes brings mild Pacific air across the whole continent) but unlike say 1982-83 this El Nino is weaker and trying to lift a lot of weight with that earlier established eastern arctic blocking cold attached to Baffin Island - Greenland high pressure. So the December outlook in North America is for some resumed cold outbreaks into central and eastern regions, and the usual El Nino warmth in the west. I don't think it will overwhelm the jet stream and force a constant southwesterly, the recent spell has been that temporary response to the first major cold spells in NA. But it won't get worse, just oscillate between weaker versions of same and blocking.

If blocking became very robust before that energy peak then we could see an undercut like Jan 1 1979, probably something like that will happen at a later peak such as 3-6 Jan or 17-21 Jan. Would be surprised and seek out a safe place if there isn't at least one good wintry episode this winter and earlier than last year's injury time miracle.

Good to see that things are going as expected so far.

Of course bright dry weather would be better but it could be easily bitter cold and dull today which would have made a bad day worse. It’s lashing rain here now anyway.

I agree but I’m just making the point that it could be worse it could have been lashing rain all day. The economy shops etc need a few benign weekends in the lead up to Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

MÉ app mentions rain turning to sleet or wet snow for a time on Tuesday in North Connaught and Ulster, but the website does not.

Interesting to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,441 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's possible mainly over high ground above around 200 meters, most likely in the north east but it would be temporary. Milder air soon coming through on Wednesday.

tempresult_ush1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Blissfully quiet. west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 10,058 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A dark morning here in Castlebar with rain turning persistent now. A day for the fire

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A dark morning here in Castlebar with rain turning persistent now. A day for the fire

Just lit mine as the rain is sheeting down out here. Shivers..west mayo; offshore, planning an outing to Castlebar tomorrow..

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

ECM has been showing stormy weather over the last few runs for next Friday . Track has been changing not surprisingly this far out but showing very strong winds along Atlantic coastal counties especially the W and NW , and Northern counties. Chance of being a named storm but could drift further North also. A bit of a way to go to know for sure.

Just what we need , more wind & rain. Please God we will get a dry cold spell soon, irrespective of any snow.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

You can GFS all you want, it’ll still be dirty rain and wind from the Atlantic

Andrew00 wrote: »
    You can GFS all you want, it’ll still be dirty rain and wind from the Atlantic

We can also ECM, GEM, UKMO and FV3 all we want then :P . All of them show us at the very least under high pressure next week, so if we don't get deep cold at least it will be nice and frosty, sunny depending on how much cloud is trapped under the high. Of course that can change but it is what the models are showing. We will still have to go through some bouts of wind and rain this week though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I just want to register that the use of model names as a verb to describe these conversations is the funniest thing I've seen in a while :D

I'mma FV3 like I'm wild and free, and GFS 'till the end of the sesh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I GFS at predicting the weather. The experts ECM it most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

Hi All,
    Has MTC updated his initial findings from his research on this coming winter?
    He would have posted those index findings back in October.

Advertisement