Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TFI Leap Card Guide & FAQ (Updated Jan 2020)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Sorry if the information is here somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it.

I have a Leap Card and use the Android Top Up app, linked to a debit card that I have since cancelled.

I see no option to add or remove payment cards on the app.

I went to LeapCard.ie and was able to remove the old card, but I cannot see how to add a new one.

Any suggestions?
    I'm pretty sure that I've replaced credit cards (not debit) on the app over the past year or so, but I can't recall exactly how I did it. I don't recall any issues arising.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You need to remove it as a payment option. You can only do this while making a purchase on the app, select whatever suggests you can pay with an alternative card.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

one of the kids has turned 16 so I understand he has to get a personalised Leap Card now - does he personally have to go to Connolly to get this or can I just bring in his passport on his behalf?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Can anyone explain to me why the NTA haven't included push notifications on the Real Time app? As in, you select your favourite stops, and the app will send you push notifications when services are delayed or cancelled. Sick of getting no information from Bus Eireann when they decide to cancel buses or when they are severely delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

loyatemu wrote: »
    one of the kids has turned 16 so I understand he has to get a personalised Leap Card now - does he personally have to go to Connolly to get this or can I just bring in his passport on his behalf?
    The personalised card has a photo, so I suspect you need to go to one of the designated locations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

When do you use the leap card validator on Dublin bus rather than use the drivers machine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Gael23 wrote: »
    When do you use the leap card validator on Dublin bus rather than use the drivers machine?

When going on a journey over 13 stages

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Stephen15 wrote: »

Why don't they just introduce a single flat timed fare or tap-on and tap-off so the fare is calculated automatically? This nonsense of having to chat with the driver to get your ticket just delays journeys and is clearly evident in places like Cork especially, where there isn't even a right hand validator.

Stephen15 wrote: »

I went from Westmoreland St to the airport on the 16 recently and the driver said to use his machine. I thought that one was the validatior

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I went from Westmoreland St to the airport on the 16 recently and the driver said to use his machine. I thought that one was the validatior

Maybe the validator was broken?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Was in a Centra recently where the person ahead of me asked for €6 top-up. Cashier topped it up and the customer paid €6.

I asked the LeapCard Twitter account about this and was told that Payzone top-ups are only in €5 amounts. In a different shop I asked to top-up by €6 and was told the same.

So, is it actually possible to top-up in increments other than (but over) €5 and cashiers in shops don't know this? :confused:

I thought it was a minimum of €5, not multiples of €5.

No I think thats correct, its 5,10,15,20 etc. Same on the Luas/Dart ticket machines

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No I think thats correct, its 5,10,15,20 etc. Same on the Luas/Dart ticket machines

Luas machines allow any amount >5. It has buttons for multiples of 5 and then a button for whatever you put in.

I haven't used an Irish Rail one in some time so not sure if they offer the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Qrt

L1011 wrote: »
    Luas machines allow any amount >5. It has buttons for multiples of 5 and then a button for whatever you put in.

I haven't used an Irish Rail one in some time so not sure if they offer the same.

Don’t forget the cash and go option, you can top up by 7.40 if you so wish.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Qrt wrote: »
    Don’t forget the cash and go option, you can top up by 7.40 if you so wish.

That was precisely what I was posting about.

So, if it's possible to top-up any amount over €5 at a Luas stop does anyone know if it's technically possible to do same at a Payzone outlet? (regardless of what the newsagent's cashier says...)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

oneilla wrote: »
    So, if it's possible to top-up any ammount over €5 at a Luas stop does anyone know if it's technically possible to do same at a Payzone outlet? (regardless of what the newsagent's cashier says...)

I'm relatively certain I've put a fiver on the card before

G_R wrote: »
    I'm relatively certain I've put a fiver on the card before

I'm looking to top-up by uneven amounts over €5 at a Payzone eg. €6.25

• Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Why don't they just introduce a single flat timed fare or tap-on and tap-off so the fare is calculated automatically? This nonsense of having to chat with the driver to get your ticket just delays journeys and is clearly evident in places like Cork especially, where there isn't even a right hand validator.
    I guess that the ticket machines aren't GPS enabled, so they don't know what stop you are at when you tag on or off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

My leapcard went kaput when out yesterday, the card wasn’t being recognized by bus, luas or in shops etc, despite having a balance.

As I was out, and traveling more that day, I just bought a new card.

Can I transfer the balance from my previous card over to my new one? (Both cards are registered to me)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

My leapcard went kaput when out yesterday, the card wasn’t being recognized by bus, luas or in shops etc, despite having a balance.

Can I transfer the balance from my previous card over to my new one? (Both cards are registered to me)

Drop Leap Card an email and they should be able to sort you out.

Ring the leap card helpline and they will transfer the balance. They would have sent you a new card for free.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

They cant. It's either refund or replace. Seeing as you've got a new card, just get it refunded.

What happens if you forget to tag off the Luas?

What happens if you forget to tag off the Luas?

On a bus, you don't need to tag off.

On a tram or train, you get charged the maximum fare for that service.

I think I only lost something like 15 cent.

Does anyone have info on the LUAS taxsaver, I don’t fully understand it. I spend approx €20 a week on my leap card. The majority of my salary is taxed at 20% with less than €1k in the 40% band. Would there be any saving in a taxsaver ticket?

The saving you make is at the highest tax rate you pay. Your employer needs to take part in the scheme.

www.taxsaver.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭belfast stephen

Learn Card Top up Galway

Can you put Red – 24 Hour Adult on a leap card by topping up on a Bus Éireann city service and does a 24 hour mean 24 hour I.e if I top up at 5pm on a Sunday 24 hours would be to 5pm Monday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement