Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail September Timetable Changes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

GM228 wrote: »
    Sizes will vary (4, 6 and 8 carriages), the unions have raised this issue at the WRC and the company have indicated there will be slightly less 8 car trains, but more 6 car over 4 car trains - the NTA have allocated money to return some of the longer term out of service units to service.

Is the aim of this new timetable to improve rush hour conditions or just to pander to politicians and public image?

As a rush hour commuter I don’t care that there’s a Dart every 10 minutes during the day.

I do care if Darts leaving Howth and Malahide at a (too long) gap of 20 minutes in rush hour are going to be only 4 carriages long.
    I would hope these 4 carriage sets won’t be let anywhere near rush hour but with Irish Rail anything is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Ireland trains

Decuc500 wrote: »
    I do care if Darts leaving Howth and Malahide at a (too long) gap of 20 minutes in rush hour are going to be only 4 carriages long.
    I would hope these 4 carriage sets won’t be let anywhere near rush hour but with Irish Rail anything is possible.
    IÉ have enough coaches to operate mainly 8 car trains with a few 6 car.
    Rosslare services should do what enterprise and commuters do at mallahide which is overtake on the up lane and cross back to the down line.
    Northern line commuters first stop should be at mallahide with some calling at howth junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,107 ✭✭✭highdef

They were not looking for smaller trains, rather they were concerned about about the safety of smaller trains and issues with overcrowding.

So initially the drivers wanted more money for driving for longer trains (I still can't get my head around that logic) and now that it was suggested to make trains more frequent but shorter, they want more money....Am I reading that incorrectly?

I work in television broadcasting and we add new channels to the line-up every now and then. I could just imagine the laugh management would have if I suggested an X% increase in pay every time that more TV channels are added. I don't think the unions would entertain that either. In my case, every extra channel added does result in a some extra workload however I can't understand how more carriages on a DART can increase the workload of a driver, apart from the likes of checks of the train at the start of the shift, if indeed the driver is the person who undertakes this task and not a maintenance worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

highdef wrote: »
    So initially the drivers wanted more money for driving for longer trains (I still can't get my head around that logic) and now that it was suggested to make trains more frequent but shorter, they want more money....Am I reading that incorrectly?

You are reading that incorrectly, they are not looking for extra money, they just raised the issue (again) of shorter trains.

See for example:-

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/10-minute-dart-service-plans-described-as-ambitious-844386.html
    "We don't have the extra coaches for a 10 minute DART service. It could be a case that the current eight-piece coaches could be reduced significantly to two four-pieces for example.

"You might have a situation where people might have a 10 minute service but they might not be able to access the service at a time they want to."

This issue has been brought up again by the unions at the WRC and the company have said it is not the case for most trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Its amazing that we had a better than 10 minute service 11 years ago with the current fleet.

There are enough coaches to run a meaningful service, it would be a mix of 6-8 coaches every 10 minutes, there would be more coaches in daily service than today, so net capacity will be up and thats what counts.

There are plans to bring the Alstom units back and there are a handful of coaches out of service for some time, 8103 was supposed to be back by now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭andrewfaulk

There are plans to bring the Alstom units back and there are a handful of coaches out of service for some time, 8103 was supposed to be back by now[/quote]

What’s your source on the 8200s coming back? Can’t see it happening

There are plans to bring the Alstom units back

There are no plans to bring them back at present, a few options were looked at regarding them (which was before the DEMU project was approved) which sparked several rumours such as converting them to push-pull stock.

All that was confirmed at the time was that an estimated €2.75M investment was required to refurbish them.

Since the DEMU project was approved any interest in them seems to have vanished and I'd say is unlikely to return, but, I suppose never say never.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I've heard that the 8200s are not coming back at all no matter what.

What will happen though is a number of 8100/8500 sets that are not required at peak times at the moment and also some troublesome units that need substantial work done and need overhauls will be done and be deployed at peak times.

Of course this might lead to the odd short form as there is less slack in the fleet, but better to have as much capacity as possible out there and short form a set the occasional time it's needed, than to have 16 carriages laying around every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

8103 is the only long term out of service unit, it was to be fixed and should be back by now, the other 37 sets should all be considered active

There is a test set with the new cab signalling which is permanently coupled up so if any of the coaches have a problem all 8 are stopped

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

8103 is the only long term out of service unit, it was to be fixed and should be back by now, the other 37 sets should all be considered active

Yes - the others are considered in service but even today I've seen 14 cars outside Clontarf Depot at peak time and that's excluding any that are not visible.

So there's scope to put more of them in service to enhance capacity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

So is anything changing to allow higher throughput in Connolly-Pearse ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,196 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Timetable for the 10 minute service this Sunday for the popes visit is now online. Imagine that this will be the trial run really

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

I've never seen a Maynooth/m3 parkway timetable that good for a weekday , never mind a Sunday!

Timetable for the 10 minute service this Sunday for the popes visit is now online. Imagine that this will be the trial run really
    Do you have a link for it? I couldn't find it in the homepage or timetables section of the Irish Rail website (on laptop).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,196 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Do you have a link for it? I couldn't find it in the homepage or timetables section of the Irish Rail website (on laptop).

Just used the journey planner. First date from bray on a normal Sunday is 9am. 6.11am this Sunday

Look at bray to connolly on 26th of August on journey planner.
    You will find the journey planner on the irish rail website

Thanks all. The original message said that the "timetable was now online" so obviously I went to timetable section assuming that there would be a sub-section for the Papal visit, or at the very least an obvious redirection from the homepage.

Would be good to have an actual timetable to view for the day rather than have to go through the journey planner but I guess there's be a fair bit of work involved so understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Thanks all. The original message said that the "timetable was now online" so obviously I went to timetable section assuming that there would be a sub-section for the Papal visit, or at the very least an obvious redirection from the homepage.

Yea, this. Especially since that planner doesn't work when Javascript is disabled, when cookies are disabled, or when the actual JSON backend is 404'ing like it is for me right now.
    HTTP404: NOT FOUND - The server has not found anything matching the requested URI (Uniform Resource Identifier).
    (XHR)GET - http://journeyplanner.irishrail.ie/webapp/config/webapp.config.json?1.3.7&rnd=1534988616429

thomasj wrote: »
    I see that Maynooth line services post 9th September have been taken down off the website. Will we see them changes too?

Just an update on this, indications are the NTA want some off peak (possibly weekend only) Maynooth and Northern commuter trains operate to/from Connolly as opposed to Pearse to minimise potential conflicts with/delays to the DART.

Last two or three services only would operate to/from Pearse, again I'll repeat despite being only a few weeks away nothing is finalised and talks are still ongoing with the NTA and separately in the WRC which are not going too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Just an update on this, indications are the NTA want some off peak (possibly weekend only) Maynooth and Northern commuter trains operate to/from Connolly as opposed to Pearse to minimise potential conflicts with/delays to the DART.

Last two or three services only would operate to/from Pearse, again I'll repeat despite being only a few weeks away nothing is finalised and talks are still ongoing with the NTA and separately in the WRC which are not going too well.

So NTA know it will not work but want to be seeing as doing something. Terminating off peak to at Connolly (even a few) is just making it even worse when its not necessary.

Big FU to those who travel at peak times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

so when does the new Dart timetable go up - it's now 2 weeks away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I saw a DART today with two people in the cab one appeared to be the driver and the other had his head out the window making sure it was all clear to close the doors. Mentoring a new driver perhaps.

loyatemu wrote: »
    so when does the new Dart timetable go up - it's now 2 weeks away.

Unlikely to be up for a while as the September 10th start is in jeopardy.

They said it will be up later this week.
    Mind you they've been saying this for the last month

Further to this and assuming the timetable change goes ahead (make or break talks ongoing):-
    • ALL Maynooth and Drogheda/Dundalk services will operate to/from Connolly at weekends.
    • Moderate Sunday Rosslare timetable change.
    • Only minor timing changes to other services (there will be one less Commuter train through to Bray in the mornings).

Major timetable change expected in December (extra service each way to/from Sligo, all day GCD service, off peak Maynooth services to/from GCD, half hourly weekend Maynooth services and Heston side timing improvements).

Aside from this , are we expecting Maynooth line to go 30 minutes and later Sunday evening , even if from Connolly in this upcoming timetable change?

What are the Sunday rosslare service changes

thomasj wrote: »
    Aside from this , are we expecting Maynooth line to go 30 minutes and later Sunday evening , even if from Connolly in this upcoming timetable change?

Not this time round.

What are the Sunday rosslare service changes

I don't know the specifics, but earlier departure to Rosslare in the morning and later departure ex Rosslare in the evening.

• Advertisement

GM228 wrote:
    Not this time round.

So with the promise that the service was to get better it's actually getting worse?

Advertisement