Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GAMSAT 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 moss house

You just never know. I got 52 in my first sitting last year but I subsequently heard from a former class mate who is in UL that 53 was successfull for another student. As tough as it is we may just bear and grin it and see what August second brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 29lem

There's a fair enough chance of getting in with that. A friend of mine got in with 53 in 2015 when demand was significantly higher than what it is now. Mind, he got in on 2nd round offers so don't despair straight away. I was also in touch with UL GEM office and coincidentally ended up actually knowing the girl on the line, and she disclosed some people did get in on 53 last year, the cut off score was 54* even though on the CAO site it was down as 55 (with no asterisk). Fingers crossed for you and everyone else, hope its good news in August :)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭santino

29lem wrote: »
    There's a fair enough chance of getting in with that. A friend of mine got in with 53 in 2015 when demand was significantly higher than what it is now. Mind, he got in on 2nd round offers so don't despair straight away. I was also in touch with UL GEM office and coincidentally ended up actually knowing the girl on the line, and she disclosed some people did get in on 53 last year, the cut off score was 54* even though on the CAO site it was down as 55 (with no asterisk). Fingers crossed for you and everyone else, hope its good news in August :)

Sorry for butting in on this, but does anyone know how this is allowed to happen? I was on 53 last year (still am) and did NOT get into UL having rang and begged them to let me know of any available places, even if people dropped out. I was told to 'hang tough and wait and see', that they would be in touch. I'm still waiting! Is this a lottery situation or are people getting favoured over others?? If so, this is disgraceful and I will be following this up...

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭indiep

It's random selection no favoritism

I've heard they use GPA of first degree as well. So say you have several students with a GAMSAT score of 53 and only 2-3 places left to fill, they will allocate them to the students with the higher GPA of their first degree. If several students have the same GPA (not likely but for illustrating the point), then its completely random allocation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Rainbowdash1

How do you calculate gpa?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭santino

Thanks for clarifying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 shakywaky

chances of ucd place with 60? opinions would be greatly appreciated!

How do you calculate gpa?

Google "gpacalculator.net", tells you how! Your university would have it calculated for you on your transcripts as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭GrabTheCREAM

Actually what a previous poster said is correct about good grades in first degree being favoured. It says it in one of the points on this page I think:

http://www2.cao.ie/downloads/documents/2018/GraduateEntryMedicine2018.pdf

I could be wrong and it might not say it on that but I DO know I read somewhere that placement varies with merit or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Hopefulgem2018

shakywaky wrote: »
    chances of ucd place with 60? opinions would be greatly appreciated!

I’d say you’re very likely to get in on those points but it’s always tough to know what way the points will go from year to year. I was at the RCSI open day though recently and the admissions officer definitely did seem to imply that there were less applicants to GEM than usual this year which can only be a positive thing for people with borderline scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

WARNING

you still have time to back out before signing yourself up to a lifetime of debt, a lifetime of servitude, crap teaching, crap lifestyle and a system that will try to destroy you at every step of the way. Make no mistake. The hse survives simply because incredible people trudge through the pile of **** every day in spite of more and more **** being piled in front of them. Proceed with caution. Don't buy the snake oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭futuremedic777

WARNING

you still have time to back out before signing yourself up to a lifetime of debt, a lifetime of servitude,  crap teaching, crap lifestyle and a system that will try to destroy you at every step of the way. Make no mistake. The hse survives simply because incredible people trudge through the pile of **** every day in spite of more and more **** being piled in front of them. Proceed with caution. Don't buy the snake oil.
    Hm Did you quit medical school?
    Most of us did not sign up to the medical route for a lovely dandy road to wealth and success, it's a different passion for us.
    But if there is anyone out there that thinks pursuing medicine is paradise on earth , then im sorry to say....you picked the wrong career path

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭GrabTheCREAM

WARNING

you still have time to back out before signing yourself up to a lifetime of debt, a lifetime of servitude, crap teaching, crap lifestyle and a system that will try to destroy you at every step of the way. Make no mistake. The hse survives simply because incredible people trudge through the pile of **** every day in spite of more and more **** being piled in front of them. Proceed with caution. Don't buy the snake oil.
    I always see you on this forum trashing medicine for some reason I think we all know what we’re getting into lol behave

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

WARNING

If you could go back and choose a different career path what would it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Pierre_Robin

WARNING

Not to pile on with my usual stuff, but I like to provide a counterfoil to Brendan's posts.

I'm quite happy at the moment, and live a reasonably comfortable lifestyle. I've got a free full day teaching session coming up on a topic I'm really interested in. Plus that's going to be a paid day of leave.

It's not all pants. Some of it is, but I imagine engineers have bad days too.

Best of luck to all joining the medical field - we need more good people.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭e1994

Hi guys,
    I remember checking the ucd fees website a number of times over the last few months and the fee listed for GEM 2018/2019 was €16,500. I've just checked again today/yesterday however they don't currently have it listed - anyone have any idea as to why that might be?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 moss house

I don’t why that is the case but neither do I understand the reason for different fees in different colleges. I was just looking at the UL website as it is probably the only one I have a chance of being accepted to with my 55 score and I see the fees there are 14 1/2 thousand 295 medical screening and €500 required for a mini iPad which is obligatory

e1994 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I remember checking the ucd fees website a number of times over the last few months and the fee listed for GEM 2018/2019 was €16,500. I've just checked again today/yesterday however they don't currently have it listed - anyone have any idea as to why that might be?

I also noticed this and thought it was strange, I might pop UCD admissions an email tomorrow to see if I can find out why!

I also noticed this and thought it was strange, I might pop UCD admissions an email tomorrow to see if I can find out why!

Yeah that's a good idea, I'm really hoping/praying it hasn't gone up any more!

Also, does anyone have any idea how long it usually takes to get loan approval from bank of Ireland?

• Advertisement

Just after checking there and the fees for RCSI have also gone up this year :(

To what?

To what?

Apologies I might be wrong, the fees I was looking at were actually for 2017/18 - €16940

Apologies I might be wrong, the fees I was looking at were actually for 2017/18 - €16940

I emailed RCSI admissions previously and they assured me that the fees for 18/19 were staying the same as they were for 17/18 (they said they were going to update this on the website but mustn’t have gotten around to doing so yet)!

Yeah that's a good idea, I'm really hoping/praying it hasn't gone up any more!

Also, does anyone have any idea how long it usually takes to get loan approval from bank of Ireland?

I have emailed so will post here once I get a response! I actually have an appointment with the bank tomorrow to start sorting out my loan so I should be able to give an idea as to how long the whole process should take after that :)

Will they do the loan without an offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 brokeasfeck

medennial wrote: »
    To those applying for the UL BOI loan, they've updated their contact info online and the sheet now specifically says "typically a parental guarantor is required"

It was the same for last year when I applied for the loan. The BOI at UL gave me the loan even though my guarantor was neither a parent nor a relative of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 brokeasfeck

Will they do the loan without an offer?

They will not give you the loan without an offer. However, they will pre-assess your guarantor before you have an offer. If they approve you guarantor in advance, they will process the application straight away when you get your offer.

I just got a response from UCD to say that they are still awaiting a final decision on the 2018/2019 GEM fees but will contact me once they have an answer...very strange given that the course starts in 6-ish weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭futuremedic777

I just got a response from UCD to say that they are still awaiting a final decision on the 2018/2019 GEM fees but will contact me once they have an answer...very strange given that the course starts in 6-ish weeks!
    Yeesh, this might discourage me from picking UCD over RCSI, since their fees haven't changed

Advertisement