Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leap Card Android App NFC

Options
  • 14-01-2019 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone still using this?

It used to be a bit flaky for me. I find that it no longer works at all.

If it does work for you, what phone does it work for you on.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Working fine here. Google Pixel 3 with Android Pie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I re-installed it again and it started working-ish.
    Phone I'm testing is Alcatel. None of the other phones in the house iPhones, Motorolas, Nokia, have NFC.
    Surprising how many new phone don't have it. I know its not popular in China. Only in the West. Maybe thats why.

Sometimes it detects a new leap card being presented and sometimes not.
    Pity there's no way to force it to refresh for a different leap card. I have to force quit, restart it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Works fine for me. Nokia 7 plus

Do you know where on the phone the NFC antenna is located? On my phone it's conveniently in the same area as the fingerprint sensor so it's pretty easy to place the card in the right place.

It is, and always has been, quite sensitive to the card moving around when trying to read it. I find the most successful way is to place the card on a flat surface like a table and then place the phone on top of it.

Thats what I do. I think its as the bottom of the phone as that reads better there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

last time i had that issue, i uninstalled and reinstaleld and it worked fine. i assumed that an app update came out, and started working once i had the latest version.

beauf wrote: »
    Thats what I do. I think its as the bottom of the phone as that reads better there.
    I understand that on some phones the antenna is actually in the battery so that could make sense.

last time i had that issue, i uninstalled and reinstaleld and it worked fine. i assumed that an app update came out, and started working once i had the latest version.

Seems to have mostly fixed it this time.

Something on the app store about last update needed Bluetooth and the latest update turned that requirement off. I wouldn't normally have BT on. Maybe that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it was flakey on my previous phone but works consistently on my current one (Nokia 6.1)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,144 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Never had an issue with my S9+ or my previous S7+

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

beauf wrote: »
    Seems to have mostly fixed it this time.

Something on the app store about last update needed Bluetooth and the latest update turned that requirement off. I wouldn't normally have BT on. Maybe that was it.

It never needed Bluetooth. That was just an error in the playstore listing. Would be curious where it came from.

Re your OP with lack if NFC on China's brands. That was initially a lisencing issue. Seems to have been less of a burden recently as some are started to include it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Polar101

It works really well on my old Samsung S5 (Neo) - but on my current Huawei P20 Lite it can take a few minutes to get the phone to scan the card. So I'd just say the NFC chip is crap on the Huawei, it is very difficult to place the card so that the phone will read it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've found some phones require near perfect positioning to the chip, so only one end of the phone works.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Samsung Galaxy S9 here and no issues with it at all - it will even launch if I have my debit/credit card in my hand when pick up my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

Works fine for me, but if you move the card even slightly as the card is loading it'll fail.
    Using a Sony Xperia Premium

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Samsung A3 (2016) - only worked over Wi-Fi, could do nothing on the 3G/4G network

Samsung A6 (2018) - works fine on all connections

Advertisement