Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have cinemas gone to the dogs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭ Jeremiah Yellow Spaciousness

When you put it that way it's a nice idea but when you see the story the first thing that comes to mind is dogs don't watch movies.:D

If the dogs are well looked after (washed and groomed) and are well behaved, I wouldn't have an issue and I am not mad about pets at all. Not everybody with a dog will avail of it, but I think it's a good idea. Some people don't want to be away from their dogs, making it difficult to socialize. Others might use it as an opportunity to meet like minded people? I don't know, I don't have a dog :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I had to move seats during black 47, if he wasn't a heroin addict he was a guy who worked out the exact formula to get me to crack. However in the off chance he was a gentleman opiate admirer I erred on the side of caution and moved, rather than upsetting him...

Right, call you never know how one of these walking dead might react.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭joe40

Avoid weekends, especially if it is the type of movie teens will be attracted to. Avoid the cheap nights, and opening week for big movies.
    with the right movie and a good audience cinema is still a great experience.
    My pet hate is silly laughing at inappropriate times. Happens sometimes in horror movies.
    Young lads trying to show how "unscared" they are

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Love going to the cinema and never had any of the problems that the OP speaks about.

I do agree do that films have gone crap and we need more original films.

Even how long a film is in the cinema is gone crap. Take ''Hunter Killer'' for instance.

I do not think it even got two weeks in the cinema's here. Ok it was a terrible story but I did hear it was a fun watch. Was going to see it last week but low and behold it was no where to be found. So I thought a sure it must just be because of all this stupid halloween crap. The cinema's should be back to normal screenings next week but no still no sign of it and there is nothing else of interest in the cinema's at the moment to see.

I would much prefer if there was less films in the cinema's but that the films were of a higher quality and more people would go see the films that did come out then as there would be more ti e to do it. Quality over quantity. I do think there is some films that make it to the cinema that should have been straight to TV releases's.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

AMKC wrote: »
    Love going to the cinema and never had any of the problems that the OP speaks about.
    I am happy you have had good experiences.:)

What cinema do you usually visit out of interest as some are right kips?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Yes.
    People on phone during the movie
    People making crazy noise with the grub
    People chatting during the movie

Went to Halloween on Friday night opening weekend I was really looking forward to it so got the vip seats. Foreign couple behing mewhere the guy was translating the whil movie. Other dip shot chatting constantly over the other shoulder. People on phones. To be honest it was my own fault as I broke one of my cinema golden rules which is never ever go opening weeekend...it like feeding Gismo after 12

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Greyfox

They have, most films don't deserve a cinema trip but there will always be 7/8 films a year that are worth seen in the cinema so noise, pricy food and poxy ads are bearable a few times a year as long as it's a quality film. I find myself more impressed with tv series and games these days but if it's a 10/10 film it will always be worth the cinema trip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

AMKC wrote: »
    I do think there is some films that make it to the cinema that should have been straight to TV releases's.

Like Hunter Killer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

My husband and I used to go to the cinema a lot, 2 or 3 times a month. We could easily download or stream everything at home but we just enjoyed the experience of the cinema, snacks, nice seats, cosy space. Another poster mentioned the experience of watching a film along with a group of people all along for the ride and experiencing all the emotions together and that used to be a big part of it. The last film we saw in the cinema that I remember enjoying that experience was Deadpool. The cinema was about half full, all adults, no children or teenagers and everyone laughed their heads off, nobody was on their phone or acting like an arsehole.

We rarely go to cinema now, maybe once or twice a year because people have turned into arseholes and cinema staff either don't care or are powerless to do anything about it. Feet on seats or people kicking seats, people on their phones, people taking phone calls, people eating loudly, people rummaging through packets and wrappers, misbehaving children and teenagers, people just being arseholes. Cinema staff come in for 30 seconds, everyone sits still like the teacher is watching them and as soon as the staff member leaves, they return to bring arseholes.
    Going to the cinema is expensive, I'd love to be rich enough to spend €10 on a ticket and maybe another €10 on snacks and spend the film on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Agricola wrote: »
    800 posts in 11 years. I'd give you 1 out of 10 for effort.

Ohh personal... You must be full of self confidence.
    Hit me where it hurts. My post count. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭troyzer

The IMAX in Blanch is a godsend. Yes it's only a lieMAX but it's still by far the best cinema around with premium seats and it's expensive so you don't get arseholes buying tickets.

But in general, cinemas have definitely gone to the dogs. I noticed this when the Vue in Liffey Valley got renovated. They chopped some cinemas in half, started dimming all of the bulbs, stopped training people to mask properly etc.

It's awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭troyzer

joe40 wrote: »
    Avoid weekends, especially if it is the type of movie teens will be attracted to. Avoid the cheap nights, and opening week for big movies.
    with the right movie and a good audience cinema is still a great experience.
    My pet hate is silly laughing at inappropriate times. Happens sometimes in horror movies.
    Young lads trying to show how "unscared" they are

I'm guilty of doing this but not because I'm trying to show how hard I am.

I genuinely found the end of the new Halloween to be so contrived, schlocky and ****e that I couldn't stop laughing. It was awful.

If people around me were actually scared or caught up in the "tenshun" then I'm sorry, but they're idiots and I don't care if they were annoyed that I was laughing.

I did the same when me and my mate went to see Batman Vs. Superman, couldn't stop laughing at how ridiculous it was. I was in tears on the floor, I couldn't breathe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I pay €22 a month for a Cineworld Unlimited card, and I usually go about once a week. Always book online in advance, and bring my own snacks if I want them, so no queuing involved - they just scan the ticket barcode on my phone on my way up. I choose my own seat when booking the ticket, and usually arrive 15-20 minutes late as I'm not bothered watching ads.

I don't have a TV in my apartment, and I really enjoy my regular cinema trips as an alternative to getting one. Far better value in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

465714.jpg

465716.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The biggest issue with cinema these days, is that the standard of films has decreased year on year.

Like in 2017, the top then highest grossing films were either sequels, remakes or the latest in the Marvel universe (in order; Star Wars: The Last Jedi; Beauty and the Beast; The Fate and the Furious; Despicable Me 3; Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle; Spider-Man:Homecoming; Wolf Warrior 2; Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2; Thor:Ragnorak; Wonder Woman)

It's funny that just have new techniques and technology have made films more visually spectacular than ever before, originality has plummeted off the cliff.

Don't agree with this at all. There is plenty of orginal content outside the blockbusters.

You don't have to go to the films above.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Worst thing about the cinema for me nowadays is gobsh1tes with phones and worse again is people with sweet wrappers and crisp bags.

Why do people feel the need to eat sh1te when watching a film?

Can people also stop calling what they sell in the cinema as food. It's just sh1te.

Went to Pathe cinema in Eindhoven last year and saw that when people bought "food" that the packages were opened at the till and poured in to a cardboard tray holder. Thought that was a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

I think it may be me being grumpy,
    But I dont like forking over €30 for 2 tickets & food, to sit next/in front of someone who may pull their fone out and ruin a scene cos the light from their fone.
    Giggling girls and boys, and seat kickers.
    During a quiet scene, all i hear is someone scraping the bottom of the popcorn tub and then theirs toilet goers.

As said, I now own a 55" 4K tv with great surround sound, Perfect angle and dimmable lights. And I have the power to pause...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Looks like a ****e cinema to be honest.

Movies@Dundrum have massive screens and the Stella cinema in Rathmines is an experience everyone should try.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Who's yer wan?

Mary Lou mcDonald

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭BobMc

Common posts, its the mobile phones are no. 1 bugbear. and I agree, put it away for a couple hours.

I think its an expensive night out too, last movie I went to with shark mad 14yr old was the Meg, between ticket and treats
    there wasnt much change from e50-

I just prefer my sofa and a beer :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Hadn’t been in years, went recently. Cinema was an ice box. People feeding their fat faces, phones, constant talking. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Absolutely despise the cinema experience and its down to being surrounded by inconsiderate neanderthals behaving like yahoo's.

I'd rather watch a movie in the comfort of my own home without listening to dopes talking constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,746 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Keyzer wrote: »
    Absolutely despise the cinema experience and its down to being surrounded by inconsiderate neanderthals behaving like yahoo's.

I'd rather watch a movie in the comfort of my own home without listening to dopes talking constantly.
    Maybe go to a different cinema?
    Or go at the quiet times? - thats what I tend to do with bigger cinemas, the point odeon is great for a blockbuster and tends to be dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

Yes, they are gone to the dogs now.
    Price is very high for what you get, I do remember the whole point of a cinema was not to get ads on the screen and that your there to see a movie and the others coming out soon.

Snacks are horrible, I cracked a tooth last year on popcorn, second handful of it and mostly kernels in it so cracked a front tooth.
    Drinks are rubbish and they charge something like 50cent now for the sugar tax, but are very regularly out of the coke zero option (other drinks are available:) )

The green light!!!! Oh god I saw halloween last week and the green light actually killed the film for me. I know it is needed but cant it be more suitable for a cinema.

I love watching things in the cinema but now I would much prefer to pay 20 euro to have a new release sent right to my TV as I have a 65 inch home cinema system so its much better than my local Odeon anyway (which is ****e)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Yes, they are gone to the dogs now.
    Price is very high for what you get, I do remember the whole point of a cinema was not to get ads on the screen and that your there to see a movie and the others coming out soon.

Snacks are horrible, I cracked a tooth last year on popcorn, second handful of it and mostly kernels in it so cracked a front tooth.
    Drinks are rubbish and they charge something like 50cent now for the sugar tax, but are very regularly out of the coke zero option (other drinks are available:) )

The green light!!!! Oh god I saw halloween last week and the green light actually killed the film for me. I know it is needed but cant it be more suitable for a cinema.

I love watching things in the cinema but now I would much prefer to pay 20 euro to have a new release sent right to my TV as I have a 65 inch home cinema system so its much better than my local Odeon anyway (which is ****e)

Don’t forget the idiots behind you that can’t keep their legs quiet, digging the back of your seat. If they have to keep stretching their legs, stay at home and fcuk off to bed with a big screen tv and stretch your legs all you want, rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

+1 for The Lighthouse. Never had a bad experience there.
    Dunkirk on 70mm in the IFI was also incredible (got the recommendation here so thanks).

Multiplex cinemas are luck of the draw, a good film can be ruined or at least tarnished by a bad crowd. Off the top of my head this happened to me with Arrival and Shape of Water (some young wan laughing during the fish romance shattered the suspension of disbelief).

Some cinemas are going to the dogs: Cineworld feels like nothing is spent on it, the savoy isn't far behind, the screen had missing roof panels and sound leakage between cinemas before it closed, point village used to have lift buttons that gave you an electric shock (MGT co dispute I know, but still). Vote with your feet and go to the good ones.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    +1 for The Lighthouse. Never had a bad experience there.
    Dunkirk on 70mm in the IFI was also incredible (got the recommendation here so thanks).

Multiplex cinemas are luck of the draw, a good film can be ruined or at least tarnished by a bad crowd. Off the top of my head this happened to me with Arrival and Shape of Water (some young wan laughing during the fish romance shattered the suspension of disbelief).

Some cinemas are going to the dogs: Cineworld feels like nothing is spent on it, the savoy isn't far behind, the screen had missing roof panels and sound leakage between cinemas before it closed, point village used to have lift buttons that gave you an electric shock (MGT co dispute I know, but still). Vote with your feet and go to the good ones.
    I like the IFI but they seriously need to do something about there seating it is very very tight, i am only 5 7 and not big and I find them small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

gmisk wrote: »
    I like the IFI but they seriously need to do something about there seating it is very very tight, i am only 5 7 and not big and I find them small.

Didn't think about that, but now that you mention it, it is very tight.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Didn't think about that, but now that you mention it, it is very tight.
    Its just odd they clearly spent a lot of money doing up the place (restaurant, reception area etc) and spent nothing on the seating, its a shame because it is a great location as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I go to the cinema, maybe once a year. There is literally nothing ever in the cinema that I want to pay that much to see.
    I'll just wait a few months and watch it online.

Cinema used to be a unique experience but now there is a big blockbuster every few weeks with nothing ground breaking.

In saying that I'll probably bring the wife to the new happy potter thing because she's a fan.

Advertisement