Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Immersion Heater Problems - Landlord Slow to Fix

• 07-08-2018 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

I am looking for advice and hoping that someone on this site can help us.

We recently been having problems with our night saver timer - up until last week things have been running fine. On Thursday last, a fuse in the fuse box blew disabling all the sockets in the apartment. We sorted this ourselves by flipping the fuse switch and continued on. The same thing happened the following night and this time we figured it was our immersion causing the blow out.

Our immersion is on the night saver clock and at about 2-3 am, the timer turns on the immersion - this is when the fuse blew.

History is, back in May '18 the pump for our immersion was replaced and our LL said (when we contacted him regarding the fuses blowing) that specific measures were taken to prevent the fuses blowing? When I asked what they were our LL couldn't remember.

We are still waiting for the plumber who replaced the pump to call in to sort - 3 days later (including the long weekend -that would be 5 days) without hot water in the morning.

If we want to have a shower – we have to manually turn on the immersion for 30 – 40 minutes and make sure that there is very little else switched on. It is going to cost us a fortune and as it is we recently received a ferociously high bill when the new pump was fitted – we really cannot afford to get another one!

Can anyone please advise what we have to do next? I find my LL is not being very helpful in this matter although they normally are.... And the plumber is a bit of a chauvinist and works to his own schedule.:mad:

Thank you
    Dublintigger.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Putting the immersion on for 30 minutes a day isn't going to cost you a fortune.

Call the plumber, ask when they're going to be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

Pelvis wrote: »
    Putting the immersion on for 30 minutes a day isn't going to cost you a fortune.

Call the plumber, ask when they're going to be back.
    Hi Pelvis

Thank you - I have rung and texted him and he hasn't come back to me.....

He really doesn't seem to be bothered.

Re the cost of the immersion - it will be what ever it is..... but I am peeved that I have to pay extra because of the lack of interest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi Pelvis

Thank you - I have rung and texted him and he hasn't come back to me.....

He really doesn't seem to be bothered.

Re the cost of the immersion - it will be what ever it is..... but I am peeved that I have to pay extra because of the lack of interest.

How is it cheaper to turn the immersion on at 2am than it is during h day?
    Do you have a night saver meter installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

We recently been having problems with our night saver timer - up until last week things have been running fine. On Thursday last, a fuse in the fuse box blew disabling all the sockets in the apartment. We sorted this ourselves by flipping the fuse switch and continued on. The same thing happened the following night and this time we figured it was our immersion causing the blow out.

Our immersion is on the night saver clock and at about 2-3 am, the timer turns on the immersion - this is when the fuse blew.
    kceire wrote: »
    How is it cheaper to turn the immersion on at 2am than it is during h day?
    Do you have a night saver meter installed?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

The Pump should be on a seperate switch so you should be able to turn off the pump but run the immersion then if you aren't happy with the water pressure turn on the pump when you need a shower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Around 500 euro fitted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

cruizer101 wrote: »
    :confused:

I'm also confused?
    The night saver is just a timer that switches on/off.
    The op is still paying the same rate per kwh of electricity unless he has a night meter installed. Typically night meter are special installs, and your standing rate is increased by about €50 per year, and you would want to be doing about 70-80% of your load during the night.

That's why many EV drivers switch to a night meter as the car draws the charge between 11pm and 6am.

But in the OP's case, he would want to be running the immersion, dish washer, washing machine and tumble dryer every night during these hours to justify a night meter.

This along with the requirement to get ESB Networks to install the night meter, and pay them to remove it has my suspicious that the landlord has allowed it?

Maybe the OP can confirm what they mean by night saver timer?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Thread title updated

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭listermint

chicorytip wrote: »
    Around 500 euro fitted.

An immersion element is 500 euro fitted ?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

Hi Folks

Thanks a million for your advice and help - we eventually got sorted and now have hot water. Both thermostat rods have been replaced and now LL has been advised (I'm told) that the actually clock/timer will need to be replaced and updated in due course. Not my problem.

kceire - thanks for coming back to me, yes we have the night saver. When it is working properly, there are savings to be made - and you are guaranteed hot water in the mornings. Comes on at 2am and goes off at 8am - with the tank insulated it means we still have plenty of hot water at the end of the day.

Thanks a million folks
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

listermint wrote: »
    An immersion element is 500 euro fitted ?

If it's on the ground floor and the tank is very slow to drain then maybe 300-400 but if you've (not you obviously but the guy who suggested it was 500 :pac:) paid €500 for one you've been done! I got one fitted there (3rd floor) yesterday for 160+VAT.

Advertisement