Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Difference between heat and temperature

• 17-01-2019 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭

I am putting together some lesson plans for work in order for our employees to explain better to clients regarding the importance of water to heating and cooling on site.

The basic principles will be that a large body of water (for theory sake we'll the mass of the body of water tends to infinity) will cool a 1kg body of Iron until the temperature of both materials are equal. But taking a 1kg body of water at that equal temperature will contain much more heat energy than that 1kg body or Iron.

When explaining this to an average person or a child, is there a simple way to explain this difference between heat and temperature or will I have to get into the detail of internal energies and heat balances?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackbox

I am putting together some lesson plans for work in order for our employees to explain better to clients regarding the importance of water to heating and cooling on site.

The basic principles will be that a large body of water (for theory sake we'll the mass of the body of water tends to infinity) will cool a 1kg body of Iron until the temperature of both materials are equal. But taking a 1kg body of water at that equal temperature will contain much more heat energy than that 1kg body or Iron.

When explaining this to an average person or a child, is there a simple way to explain this difference between heat and temperature or will I have to get into the detail of internal energies and heat balances?

Imagine a metal bucket and an eggcup, both full of water at room temperature. Light a candle under each. After five minutes, they will both have received pretty much the same heat/energy, but the eggcup will be at a much higher temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

blackbox wrote: »
    Imagine a metal bucket and an eggcup, both full of water at room temperature. Light a candle under each. After five minutes, they will both have received pretty much the same heat/energy, but the eggcup will be at a much higher temperature.

Thats simlar to the example I would usually have used but confusion arises quite often when discussing heat transfer in between 2 fixed bodies. How the temperature will balance through heat transfer, but there will still be a large difference in the heat energy present in the 2 bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackbox

Thats simlar to the example I would usually have used but confusion arises quite often when discussing heat transfer in between 2 fixed bodies. How the temperature will balance through heat transfer, but there will still be a large difference in the heat energy present in the 2 bodies.

Well, you could say that they both start out at absolute zero. After adding the same heat/energy to both they will be at different temperatures but there will the same heat energy present in each. Unfortunately,absolute zero can be hard for people to contemplate.

Advertisement