Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eoghan Harris terminated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Danzy wrote: »
    Kevin Myers not an anti Semite, lol.

That's a stretch.

I think you could trust the word of the Jewish Representative Council of Ireland when they say someone is not an antisemite:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/jewish-council-in-ireland-comes-to-defence-of-kevin-myers-1.3172216
    “But the larger picture is that Kevin, who up until now was a respected columnist, has a particular curmudgeonly, cranky, idiosyncratic style. We, who have been reading Kevin’s work over many years and those who know him personally, know that while this was a real error of judgement on his part, also know that he is not an anti-Semite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Paulzx

His column each week was completley predictable. I'm surprised he got away with it for so long purely on the basis that his subject matter never changed.

I hate sinn fein....check
    Southern protestants were hung out to dry 100 years ago....check
    Unionists are getting shafted by British and Irish governements....check
    RTE are useless because they won't give my fabulous intellect a platform....check.

Irrespective of whether you agree with those views a columnist can't just keep parroting the same crap every week

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Seems like there is a pair of them in it.

https://twitter.com/christineomg5/status/1390441047713587201

Independent vindictive and odd. And she managed to spin it to make it seem worse?

Needed counselling come off it....

She sounds like she enjoying her time as the 'victim'.

--

Pair of them in it as far as I am concerned. I did not realise politicos were:

1) So childish
    2) So sensitive
    3) So attention seeking

-

It is like something out of one of those annoying 'reality tv shows'

Of course you try to discredit the vile abuse of a woman at the hands of an angry man with a substantial platform while hiding behind an anonymous troll account.

‘Both of them in it’ - unbelievable take.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Paulzx wrote: »
    a columnist can't just keep parroting the same crap every week

They can though, Harris is proof that they can. He did just that for years.

In Ireland, in the media in general and especially in RTE, there is some notion that disagreement and controversy are the same things as healthy debate - you see this all the time on political programmes where two people are having the worst quality of discussion imaginable, but because they're doing do energetically, it somehow constitutes good debate. In reality they are just talking bollocks.

RTE sport is particularly notable for this, bringing in any old contrarian to shout at clouds and annoy everybody (Dunphy for example), and RTE indulge themselves in the notion that what's happening is 'no holds barred' debate.

Harris fits that mould - somebody who is a sh!t-stirrer and causes controversy, and by that very low bar, qualifies as somebody who contributes to or generates discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭golfball37

Harris was a racist. He was racist against northern nationalists whether they were shinners or not. His harassing of Aoife Moore for having the temerity to come from NÍ is proof of this.
    I used get a good laugh out of him and enjoy reading his deranged musings, I’ll miss him.
    SF people are in politics so are fair game for what he wrote about them, I drew the line however when he attacked Mickey Harte one Sunday over his RTÉ boycott and tried to link his stance with an overall playing the victim culture throughout NÍ when it came to nationalists. This was a man who had his daughter murdered and RTÉ made a satirical sketch about it.

Reading some of the tweets from the burner account one can only hope he gets the help he needs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,309 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Emma DeSouza complaining that she was attacked by the account too.
    Also see people asking who was behind other accounts that operated in a similar way. This one could run and run if journalists haven't covered their tracks well. Journalism in the spotlight. No harm in my opinion.

Seems Eoghan was outed by a request from a legal firm (who were suing) to Twitter for the real name of the account holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭Rosita

Paulzx wrote: »
    His column each week was completley predictable. I'm surprised he got away with it for so long purely on the basis that his subject matter never changed.

I hate sinn fein....check
    Southern protestants were hung out to dry 100 years ago....check
    Unionists are getting shafted by British and Irish governements....check
    RTE are useless because they won't give my fabulous intellect a platform....check.

Irrespective of whether you agree with those views a columnist can't just keep parroting the same crap every week

I don't disagree with your broader point about the tiresome predictability of it all but it is worth noting that he wasn't kicked out for "parroting the same crap every week". He was able to pull that off and people read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/eoghan-harris-confirms-sunday-independent-contract-terminated-1.4557792?mode=amp

Had some good points but a pretty ludicrous defence of northern unionism every week in the SINDO.

A big fan of Bertie.

Am I alone in finding his never-ending support and defence of Bertie as his most troubling feature?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,097 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I think you could trust the word of the Jewish Representative Council of Ireland when they say someone is not an antisemite:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/jewish-council-in-ireland-comes-to-defence-of-kevin-myers-1.3172216

Many Jews felt he was. The campaign against anti-Semitism felt he was, the Indo and the Sunday Times felt the need to condemn the article and reject anti semitism.

Maybe he is best described as a sneaking regarder of anti-Semites?

Not referencing Kevin Myers article where he declares himself a holocaust denier, but do you accept that the Holocaust happened, that it was greviously wrong.

Quite a few of those who defend Myers on other threads were the same who would be complaining about Zionist corruption of media etc etc.

Are you a fellow traveller of those?

Am I alone in finding his never-ending support and defence of Bertie as his most troubling feature?

The most troubling thing is how like him, in phrase and venom, Micheál Martin sounded in the last elections.
    I remember arguing at the time that Martin was completely out of whack with what FF actually was. Beginning to realise why now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Kumejima

I'm with Tyler the Creator on this one.

"Hahahahahaha How the F%$k is cyberbulling real hahahaha Ni%$a just walk away from the screen Like Ni^%a Close your eyes Hahaha"

Amazing how quickly all these strong independent women fall apart when A Powerful Man (TM) doesn't blow smoke up their ass. Quick somebody get them an interview with Miriam O Callaghan so they can talk about how the ordeal affected them and left them vulnerable "as a woman".

Public discourse used to be male - robust, sometimes brutal with no quarter asked or given.
    Its now been feminised so its now a non-contact sport.

The boys are playing rugby, the girls tag rugby

No wonder so many men are being fired. The game has been changed out from underneath them and they haven't copped it.

Probably not alone but maybe close enough to it. Bertie Ahern hasn't been Taoiseach for close to a decade and a half. A good chunk of the electorate wouldn't remember him and care less. If Harris is giving him never-ending support it shows how out of touch he is and how embedded in the past he is.

But whatever era of politics one is in thrall to, I doubt seriously if it is Harris's "most troubling feature". I'd say the fallout from this will unearth a few features that will supersede it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Lots of blokes thinking they're cool on this thread who are in reality anonymous cowards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Between this thread and the one about asking a woman out, it's crystal clear who the fragile little incels are on boards.

Not that anyone really needed these threads as proof :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Hurrache wrote: »
    Lots of blokes thinking they're cool on this thread who are in reality anonymous cowards.

Oh here we go again. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Lots of blokes on this thread (undoubtedly some females too) are rightly castigating an actual coward who thought they could hide behind anonymity.

No problem with Eoghan writing his column's, he was just a village idiot who was afforded column inches to spout his bull, it's the sockpuppeting, trolling others while cheerleading himself in the third person many are laughing at.

I'm sticking with my FFers throwing a strop that their man has been snared, long runs the Fox and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Danzy wrote: »
    He has always been a deeply unwell man.

Intelligent, no doubt but verging on a personality disorder.

I audibly cheered in the car when I heard the news this morning. A boil on discourse in this country for too long.

Although not as relevant as in times past, that he still had a 'voice' was despicable.

Good riddance. I'll raise a glass tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭golfball37

It says a lot about Ireland that he was appointed a senator by a Taoiseach for sticking up for said Taoiseach on tv.
    Whatever about his views this sort of stroke politics is what we need to change here

There’s very little support for Harris here. Or are you talking about the people attacking him? If so what is cowardly about that, Hurrache, if that is in fact your real name?

I suppose it must be. Strange name.

So all RTE's prime time current affairs programme had to say about this was a general chat about sock accounts. :)

Anyone get the feeling our 'journalist' class will not want to look too closely at all this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,000 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my favourite harris moment was when he was on the radio probably about 10 or 15 years ago, and there was a slightly testy atmosphere between him, the host and another guest (alas, i cannot remember who the other two were) and he got annoyed and started refusing to answer questions unless he was addressed as 'Senator Harris'.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Lots of blokes on this thread (undoubtedly some females too) are rightly castigating an actual coward who thought they could hide behind anonymity.

No problem with Eoghan writing his column's, he was just a village idiot who was afforded column inches to spout his bull, it's the sockpuppeting, trolling others while cheerleading himself in the third person many are laughing at.

I'm sticking with my FFers throwing a strop that their man has been snared, long runs the Fox and all.

I’m no FFer. I’m not aligned to any party except I’ll never vote for anything Paul Murphy is associated with.

However just because Harris supports FF today, because he sees them as a good bulwark against SF, doesn’t mean that he’s an ff man, or that ff voters if you can find any, would support his views. He’s more aligned to labour and fg historically.

So all RTE's prime time current affairs programme had to say about this was a general chat about sock accounts. :)

Anyone get the feeling our 'journalist' class will not want to look too closely at all this?

What did Newstalk and Today FM say?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭archfi

Emma DeSouza complaining that she was attacked by the account too.
    Also see people asking who was behind other accounts that operated in a similar way. This one could run and run if journalists haven't covered their tracks well. Journalism in the spotlight. No harm in my opinion.

Seems Eoghan was outed by a request from a legal firm (who were suing) to Twitter for the real name of the account holder.
    I couldn't agree more.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Another aspect of Harris probably not as widely known are his interpretation of events during the War Of Independence /Civil War and his association with the largely discredited historian Peter Hart.

The Journal have closed comments. Why? There’s no trial here. No legal implication. The same company writes columns against online trolls and harassment of women, all the time.

Rosita wrote: »
    What did Newstalk and Today FM say?

No idea. Neither of their Twitter accounts have gone with the story in any form, from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

fvp4 wrote: »
    I’m no FFer. I’m not aligned to any party except I’ll never vote for anything Paul Murphy is associated with.

However just because Harris supports FF today, because he sees them as a good bulwark against SF, doesn’t mean that he’s an ff man, or that ff voters if you can find any, would support his views. He’s more aligned to labour and fg historically.

I'm not too bothered about what he got up to historically, my posts are based on the latest election held here in this state, and the unashamed bias shown towards Harris mere days before the election where he was giving it socks against the shinners, then praising Michaél Martin In the very next breath, and then Martin himself appears literally in the next slot on the same radio show. I posted about it at the time, and it was widely discussed on here.

He certainly sounded like a FF shill in the last election, hence my opinions on the man.

fvp4 wrote: »
    The Journal have closed comments. Why? There’s no trial here. No legal implication. The same company writes columns against online trolls and harassment of women, all the time.

I'd imagine they realise that they'd have to spend the day dealing with loonies writing all sorts of mad stuff, probably displaying the same traits they'd criticise Harris for. Probably think it's not worth the hassle at a time when there'd be a lot of media/legal eyes on what's being said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

McMurphy wrote: »
    I'm not too bothered about what he got up to historically, my posts are based on the latest election held here in this state, and the unashamed bias shown towards Harris mere days before the election where he was giving it socks against the shinners, then praising Michaél Martin In the very next breath, and then Martin himself appears literally in the next slot on the same radio show. I posted about it at the time, and it was widely discussed on here.

He certainly sounded like a FF shill in the last election, hence my opinions on the man.

If Martin had gone through with the deal with SF that he (apparently) briefly contemplated after the last election, do you think Harris would still be bigging him up?

Advertisement