Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Comments

Another bank getting ready to depart Ireland.
    KBC, "the bank of you" is off apoarently.
    Banking sector becoming a bit chaotic.

No money to be made, ironically enough. The non performing loans became a killer for UB and now KBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Another bank getting ready to depart Ireland. KBC, "the bank of you" is off apoarently. Banking sector becoming a bit chaotic.

We re still dealing with the fall out of 08, it's underlying issues haven't been dealt with at all, it's slowly coming back around to hunt us

Can you point to a country where lockdowns, haven't been the answer?

Believe they managed to get by without a lockdown in Pitcairn.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Can you point to a country where lockdowns, haven't been the answer?

Where did I say lockdowns are not answer?

I said "Lockdowns are an easy answer for them planning to come out of them and coming up with processes and procedures seems to be beyond their and the civil service capabilities."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

markodaly wrote: »
    The AG did warn the Irish Government on this, warnings dismissed by many posters here.

Really Mark...yeah.

Did it go something like this?

Minister: Have we checked all the legalities on the new MHQ process?
    Civil Servant: Well the bright folks on the Boards FFGG thread seem to think there is no issue.
    Minister: That will do so. Execute plan.
    Civil Sevant: Plan?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,038 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Floppybits wrote: »
    As the saying goes 'fail to Plan, plan to fail'. Planning seems to be a problem for this government and the one before it. Lockdowns are an easy answer for them planning to come out of them and coming up with processes and procedures seems to be beyond their and the civil service capabilities.

The first military lesson is that no plan survives engagement with the enemy. Those who are whinging about the plans are forgetting this most important lesson.

The vaccine roll-out plan has had to change 25 times due to issues of health and safety, vaccine delivery, implementation issues, re-priotitisation based on experience etc. If it hadn't changed that many times in such a new and novel situation, I would be more worried as it would suggest a government not taking account of changing situations. We would be at risk of ending up like Sweden and Brazil with far, far more deaths and illnesses.

Thankfully the government so far have been able to ignore these hurlers from the ditch and get on with playing what is the most difficult game of their lives.

skimpydoo wrote: »
    They have had over a year to plan this but as usual, MHQ is put together at the last minute. It's like they don't give a ****e so that it will fail and they will then say I told you that it would not work.

I did tell you and many others that it wasn't legal, it wouldn't work and was disproportionate. So far, it seems that I am right.

I note that the UK has discovered the Indian mutation has reached London, won't be long before it gets to Belfast, and then down here. There is too much movement between the two islands to countenance anything other than a British Isles lockdown, as that is the only thing that might work. Unfortunately for political reasons in both jurisdictions, it seems to be off the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

The Greens trying to add taxes onto everything. Next we wont be allowed to ravel even if there is no pandemic.
    I think theyve all forgotten we live on a small island.

blanch152 wrote: »
    The first military lesson is that no plan survives engagement with the enemy. Those who are whinging about the plans are forgetting this most important lesson.

The vaccine roll-out plan has had to change 25 times due to issues of health and safety, vaccine delivery, implementation issues, re-priotitisation based on experience etc. If it hadn't changed that many times in such a new and novel situation, I would be more worried as it would suggest a government not taking account of changing situations. We would be at risk of ending up like Sweden and Brazil with far, far more deaths and illnesses.

Thankfully the government so far have been able to ignore these hurlers from the ditch and get on with playing what is the most difficult game of their lives.

:D You robbed that line from Iron Mike Tyson!

'Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth'

There more to planning than a single hope-for-the-best plan. There are risk response plans, risk mitigation plans, contingency plans, stress planning etc. The government have never shown any skills or interest in detailed planning. They fall at the first hurdle every time.

• Site Banned Posts: 71 ✭✭TheTruth21

The EU want Ireland to explain the reasons certain countries are on list and others with higher rates not.

Will Ireland be honest and just say are making it up all along or blame the opposition for making them do it?

• Advertisement

TheTruth21 wrote: »
    The EU want Ireland to explain the reasons certain countries are on list and others with higher rates not.

Will Ireland be honest and just say are making it up all along or blame the opposition for making them do it?

They have options here. They can blame the Variants, the Brits, Jason Bourne and Boards posters.

They have options here. They can blame the Variants, the Brits, Jason Bourne and Boards posters.

Or will they admit they wanted to prove to the opposition that its not possible so we set it up badly as we could to prove the point.

:DYou robbed that line from Iron Mike Tyson!

'Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth'

There more to planning than a single hope-for-the-best plan. There are risk response plans, risk mitigation plans, contingency plans, stress planning etc. The government have never shown any skills or interest in detailed planning. They fall at the first hurdle every time.

No, actually, if I recall correctly, it was a Prussian General sometime in the 19th century who put it forward.

The point about your planning is that the Government will only publish the one plan, the others are held in private until needed, hence the 25 changes I mentioned.

blanch152 wrote: »
    No, actually, if I recall correctly, it was a Prussian General sometime in the 19th century who put it forward.

The point about your planning is that the Government will only publish the one plan, the others are held in private until needed, hence the 25 changes I mentioned.

What part of the plan was when told we need mandotary quarantine for all arrivals, they decided to add a few and then add a few more leaving countries with higher rates off the list?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭CDarby

Floppybits wrote: »
    Or will they admit they wanted to prove to the opposition that its not possible so we set it up badly as we could to prove the point.

Rule 101.
    When being forced to perform a job or chore you absolutely do not want to have to do, you do it so unbelievably badly and with such incompetence that you'll immediately be stopped in your tracks, taken away from doing and never be asked to do it again.

This is basic stuff.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I hate these sort of questions, it's lazy journalism. No person or politician anywhere on the planet can guarantee that Ireland (or anywhere else) won't have a lockdown next Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

If we had MHQ for all countries, the EU would not be asking questions.

skimpydoo wrote: »
    If we had MHQ for all countries, the EU would not be asking questions.

Yep, their issue is with how we select the countries

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Yep, their issue is with how we select the countries
    That's why it was set up half arsed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Very misleading for O'Broin to pick the bottom of a depression in house prices as his data point. No different to someone picking the peak of the market in 2007 and saying house prices are now 20% lower than what they were 14 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,101 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Very misleading for O'Broin to pick the bottom of a depression in house prices as his data point. No different to someone picking the peak of the market in 2007 and saying house prices are now 20% lower than what they were 14 years ago.

That's why the CSO have to produce graphics like these to explain without the political spin.

550398.JPG

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-rppi/residentialpropertypriceindexdecember2019/

Sundays papers will be interesting

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1383193936429203460?s=19

No need for it at all

A return of flights, no international flights in months but that's not told here by the media

If this is true then government have completely lost it. I am sure even the government disciples on here couldn't support that. But then again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

That has been examined by the Department of Health since last year. It was in the original vaccine rollout plan published on the HSE website in December.

Being examined by the DOH does not mean it has been implemented by Govt, FYI. Although if NIAC recommend it then presumably the Government will follow it.

I was listening to Playback this morning and I came across a story from earlier in the week that I completely missed.

Stephen Donnelly in January asked his department of Health to find out why he was getting less Twitter mentions than Simon Harris.
    Very very strange. We were at 4000 cases per day and the minister prioritised his Twitter usage? No wonder they screwed up MHQ so badly.
    Playback had clips with both Donnelly and Harris being interviewed about it. Neither could answer the questions with any credibility.

I was listening to Playback this morning and I came across a story from earlier in the week that I completely missed.

Stephen Donnelly in January asked his department of Health to find out why he was getting less Twitter mentions than Simon Harris.
    Very very strange. We were at 4000 cases per day and the minister prioritised his Twitter usage? No wonder they screwed up MHQ so badly.
    Playback had clips with both Donnelly and Harris being interviewed about it. Neither could answer the questions with any credibility.

To be fair,he clarified on Primetime the other night that the question was not asked by him but by officials who were doing an internal survey on how messaging was carried out by the department
    I would presume earlier in the week ,he just didnt know
    He does seem to stonewall when he doesn't know whats going on
    He would have been better off saying he didnt know because theres obviously a full time business now in journalism raking over FoI material looking for scoops or the next scandal
    He should have non storied it earlier

• Advertisement

I enjoyed the radio this morning. Listening to it while doing the garden. They key word yet again is confusion. I'll tell you one thing - Roisin Shortall knows her brief inside out. She has the detail. She made mince of the junior minister on Katie Hannon.

Advertisement