Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Much colder, wintry showers, some of snow Easter Sunday 2021 onward

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Does anyone remember the snow day in April circa 2005-2008 can't remember exact year just remember the novelty of having snow in April. This was in Letterkenny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Pangea wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the snow day in April circa 2005-2008 can't remember exact year just remember the novelty of having snow in April. This was in Letterkenny.

There was a day in April here in the 2000’s like that. I can remember it because we had snow at 8c.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Looks like severe frost Monday and Tuesday night is the main headline!!
    Yes cold enough for snow but ppn looks quite weak so while falling snow is possible, lying snow looks fantasy imo.
    More so after the last few days of high temperatures!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I remember that day pretty clearly, I was trying to get to a meeting near Leeson Street by car and there was bad disruption to traffic mid afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The latest I saw snow was the first week of May, a prolonged heavy snow shower left everywhere white, but obviously it didn't last.
    April is common enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Looks like severe frost Monday and Tuesday night is the main headline!!
    Yes cold enough for snow but ppn looks quite weak so while falling snow is possible, lying snow looks fantasy imo.
    More so after the last few days of high temperatures!

I'm a little more optimistic up here, for an overnight covering. 15c is the highest I've had this week and that was briefly on monday. A frost forecast over the next couple of nights as well. Anyway time will tell.

RobertKK wrote: »
    The latest I saw snow was the first week of May, a prolonged heavy snow shower left everywhere white, but obviously it didn't last.
    April is common enough.

In May 4 or 5 years ago I was getting the bus back from Dublin airport first thing. Stopped in Monaghan around 8.15 am and was snowing but wasn't accumulating apart from a bit on cars. When I got home a couple of hours later the lower hills were white but it didn't last. I remember seeing snow 2 other times in May in this past 10 to 12 years. Both times was around 6 to 8am after being up all night drinking at a party. I think there was decent enough "event" for May standards in the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    In May 4 or 5 years ago I was getting the bus back from Dublin airport first thing. Stopped in Monaghan around 8.15 am and was snowing but wasn't accumulating apart from a bit on cars. When I got home a couple of hours later the lower hills were white but it didn't last. I remember seeing snow 2 other times in May in this past 10 to 12 years. Both times was around 6 to 8am after being up all night drinking at a party. I think there was decent enough "event" for May standards in the 90s.
    Are you sure it wasn't the drink!!!!

Sadly I've yet to hallucinate on the beer yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

was it the fine powdery snow so to speak

• Advertisement

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2019/0305/1034374-april-snow-showers/

Snow April 1994.
    Few places in the north of Ireland escape showers of snow sleet and hail.

Overnight showers of snow, hail or sleet affected most parts of the north of Ireland and the bad weather continued with visibility poor at times.

In 1993 snow fell as late as the month of May.

Tyrone212 wrote: »

Edit

Looked back over it and the Monaghan snow was actually April. I'm still sure of the other 2 drunken accounts though haha

It snowed here in Arklow one evening in June heavy for about 2hrs giving a good covering many moons ago
    Cant remember the year but its nearly 40 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

RobertKK wrote: »
    April is common enough.

There was a heavy snow in May 94 IIRC. Think it was rather late in the month, around 20th or slightly after?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

a shower of hail would be interesting fecking hell the weather is so consistently boring and disappointing after 5 years of climate change same

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yeah we had hail in June about 11 years ago on bank holiday and it was 6c last year it was 27c.

Snowed in 1984 in June or may have been the late 70s

Mad to see this perturbation at T84 in April or any time of the year tbh. P10 has -20 850hPa over Ireland ha

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    The 510dam line now touches the north coast on Monday at 6am. With each run it gets progressively closer.

Though the cold air seems to end up coming in, in the evening now unfortunately.

asrhYIG.jpg

Very cold air on Monday night

eZIQS37.jpg

Met Office going for 3c Monday.

Further south again!

zNu4cmj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭pauldry

Shoved a bit to the East in latest GFS. Still wintry but more East and North with lighter showers further West and likely a degree or 2 milder. Ulster still likely to get snow in places though overnight especially.

The latest gfs run shows -11c 850hPa all day Monday for here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭highdef

A bit a downgrade on the latest GFS from what I can see. The colder air shunted quite a bit east and air pressure is about 4 millibars higher than the previous run, getting to the stage where showers may be less likely to form and if they do, they wouldn't have so much ooomph in them.

Still very cold for the time of year but hopefully today's model does not turn into a trend. Looking forward to see what the next run brings, fingers crossed this morning's run was a warmer outlier.

There is actually a lot of variation of outcomes between each run and each model. Latest GFS run is a bit weird, the low heights are hundreds of miles behind the low 850’s.

-11c 850’s with 535dam? Yeah right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭highdef

There is actually a lot of variation of outcomes between each run and each model. Latest GFS run is a bit weird, the low heights are hundreds of miles behind the low 850’s.

Yeah, bit of a strange run alright. Very low temperatures lower down but nothing too crazy much higher up. That combined with higher pressure does not bode well for shower formation although they'd reach ground level as snow but unlikely to be heavy enough to give a covering in all but the highest hills.

Still, it's one run from one model. I've not had time to look at other models as it's far too nice a day to be sitting in front of a computer.

Nope actually Ulster is under the <-10c isotherm for longer on this run. Right from Monday early hours to Tuesday early hours.

It’s the thickness that is a lot higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The high thickness is because of the warmer upper air (700-500 hPa) that I highlighted yesterday. Don't just look at one level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭giveitholly

highdef wrote: »
    A bit a downgrade on the latest GFS from what I can see. The colder air shunted quite a bit east and air pressure is about 4 millibars higher than the previous run, getting to the stage where showers may be less likely to form and if they do, they wouldn't have so much ooomph in them.

Still very cold for the time of year but hopefully today's model does not turn into a trend. Looking forward to see what the next run brings, fingers crossed this morning's run was a warmer outlier.

Good,hopefully the downgrades continue

Long may any upgrades be... come on in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Danno wrote: »
    There was a heavy snow in May 94 IIRC. Think it was rather late in the month, around 20th or slightly after?

It was a while back so maybe then.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,621 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I remember that snow in early May. I was not sure of the year! I would love to see snow as late as June, not because it would be of much use, rather it would give us something to talk about. I hope the latest GFS is wrong about shunting the upcoming cold spell east. I was looking forward to some beefy snow showers at night. It would be great to see some settling snow by night too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,545 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

You heathens. I would take buckets of snow any day of the week no matter what the month.
    Bring it on!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement