Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Highest house in your area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

When I lived in Annamoe in Wicklow I was at about 200 meters elevation. I'd say on average we had 5 days snow cover per winter with some incredible dumpings from time to time. Had lying snow some days from October to April. I remember chatting with Arctictree who lives there (at around 250 meters IIRC) and I think he said he saw a house at around 300 meters or even higher locally. I'd say the amount of lying snow days isnt linear with height, anything above 250 or so and the amount of days lying shoots up, at least that was my impression when living there.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Snow lasts more than 2 or 3 days at altitude, more like a week.

You would need winter tyres because the road wouldn’t be ploughed, do you think you could drive on this with normal tyres?

Yes, no problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Supercell wrote: »
    When I lived in Annamoe in Wicklow I was at about 200 meters elevation. I'd say on average we had 5 days snow cover per winter with some incredible dumpings from time to time. Had lying snow some days from October to April. I remember chatting with Arctictree who lives there (at around 250 meters IIRC) and I think he said he saw a house at around 300 meters or even higher locally. I'd say the amount of lying snow days isnt linear with height, anything above 250 or so and the amount of days lying shoots up, at least that was my impression when living there.

5 days!? I average about 10 days here at low level. That seems awful low for the entire winter!

Snow lasts more than 2 or 3 days at altitude, more like a week.

You would need winter tyres because the road wouldn’t be ploughed, do you think you could drive on this with normal tyres?

That is actually not a lot a snow. Easy peasy. No winter tyres needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Wow that’s rather high! Would get a lot of snow here at that height.
    5 days!? I average about 10 days here at low level. That seems awful low for the entire winter!

Serious question, do you ask these questions in order just to boast about snow fall in your location after people, in good faith, answer your questions?

I posted a map just recently showing that low levels lying snow in Northern Ireland averages no more than 5 days per year. You are low lying and also relatively near the sea, so I honestly doubt that your average is 9 or 10 days. In fact, I wager that I would see more snow and more snow days than you would in an average year here in the tropical 'south'. And that isn't a boast, just more an understanding of how the geography and climate of Ireland works.

New Moon

• Advertisement

I asked forum members what was the elevation of the highest house in their locality, the discussion was turned round on me in a calculated manner. Only a few people have bothered to answer the question thus far. The rest have taken their time in giving me jabs as usual.

Not sure what map you are using. I am within the 10 day zone. And the hills above my home have in excess of >22 days.

2lcJLqh.gif

If you think you have more snow days than me don’t bother asking then. If you’re that knowledgeable and such an expert on the climate where I live. Despite living over 150 miles away.

Thats an interesting map, has anyone an equivalent for the south?
    I have an ancient "Climate of Ireland" book somewhere which probably has but thats from the 80's and undeniably the climate has gotten warmer since and with snow marginal here so often I dont think the numbers are very reliable as an indicator now.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭hurikane

I asked forum members what was the elevation of the highest house in their locality, the discussion was turned round on me in a calculated manner. Only a few people have bothered to answer the question thus far. The rest have taken their time in giving me jabs as usual.

Not sure what map you are using. I am within the 10 day zone. And the hills above my home have in excess of >22 days.

2lcJLqh.gif

If you think you have more snow days than me don’t bother asking then. If you’re that knowledgeable and such an expert on the climate where I live. Despite living over 150 miles away.

Wow you’re some victim.

Why choose an out of date snow lying map?

Have a look at this link, it basically contradicts everything you’ve been saying.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/learn-about/weather/types-of-weather/snow/snow-in-the-uk

2lcJLqh.gif

You were asking for more than your initial question.

In fact, your question was buried under other considerations about the climate. Folks answered your questions, and commented about your observations politely. You seem to have a little problem addressing people to begin with, you should go one question at a time, and as you gain confidence, try another one, then another one. With practice, your skills at framing questions in the right order, and obtaining the right responses will likely improve.

If you think you have more snow days than me don’t bother asking then

I don't think it. I know it.

But I don't get why you are always on about snow at altitude. If what you say is correct in that you saw numerous days with snow and lying snow at your location, then why are you always looking up and elsewhere in your vicinity? Many of us here on the central plain don't have that luxury, but we get what we get, and we get more than you. Not as much as the likes of Donegal or Tyrone and places like that, but hey ho.

And no one is jabbing at you, but when you ask a question only in order to show how little snow those that answer get compared to you, then you are not asking this question in good faith. You are a very smart guy, so I don't get why you are so self indulgent and immature when it comes to the topic of snow in Ireland.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

My house is at 160m elevation outside letterkenny and we get snow/frost when no where else does. I have a 4WD car for winter use only as there is a steep lane way up to our house and even with 1 or 2cm of snow a regular FWD or RWD car won’t get up it. It’s also windier with us than on low ground such as in letterkenny town also and a degree or so colder.

hurikane wrote: »
    Wow you’re some victim.

Why choose an out of date snow lying map?

Have a look at this link, it basically contradicts everything you’ve been saying.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/learn-about/weather/types-of-weather/snow/snow-in-the-uk

Sorry what did you expect? I asked a simple question and it turns into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭hurikane

Well I didn’t expect someone who has been contradicted to play victim.

I’m on mobile, share the more up to date snow lying map from then link which I’ve provided, with everyone please.

There's a new house approximately 1000ft asl beside the croghan wind farm 4 miles west of me with belting views north to the Sugarloaf, south to Mt Leinster and east out over the Irish sea to Snowdonia and beyond
    Its a site cut into rock at the edge of a wood
    It overlooks Arklow bay, its nearest point to the Sea far below it
    When I win the lotto, I'm buying it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

My house is at 176m. Houses nearby at 233m

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

couple of houses close to kilbehenny side of the galtees, being south facing s.now dosn't last too long. this house looks to be about 375m https://www.google.com/maps/@52.3211548,-8.210037,15z/data=!5m1!1e4?hl=en
    there are a couple on north side at about 280 to 300m

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I do think you get a hard time on here, but some of the criticism has a certain validity. I would just comment though, on a very non scientific basis, that my impression from you this winter was that you had a lot of snow forecast for your area which didn't ultimately fall (we all get winters like that I should say). Again very unscientific, but accordingly my impression this winter was of you bemoaning this fact a lot. Hence I'm surprised you are now saying that you had 20 days of falling snow and 9 days of lying snow?

I do think you get a hard time on here, but some of the criticism has a certain validity. I would just comment though, on a very non scientific basis, that my impression from you this winter was that you had a lot of snow forecast for your area which didn't ultimately fall (we all get winters like that I should say). Again very unscientific, but accordingly my impression this winter was of you bemoaning this fact a lot. Hence I'm surprised you are now saying that you had 20 days of falling snow and 9 days of lying snow?

Yes, a lot of the snow here is very marginal or cutting it thin, because the airmasses that come in here are often saturated, so the change over is literally within a degree of freezing; I have had rain at 0.7/0.8c a few times this winter. So, a mile up the road from me will have a few inches and it'll be raining here. This winter on more than a few occasions, I have driven from lying snow to falling snow but wet ground to rain over the course of a mile.

Regarding events, yes the easterly brought a few streamers that were about five miles from my house, that dropped about 5cm. I also had something similar occur during a NW. However, we did still manage to have around 20 days of falling snow, which by the way isn't a massive amount if you average it out throughout the winter. That's about 4 days each month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Yes, a lot of the snow here is very marginal or cutting it thin, because the airmasses that come in here are often saturated, so the change over is literally within a degree of freezing; I have had rain at 0.7/0.8c a few times this winter. So, a mile up the road from me will have a few inches and it'll be raining here. This winter on more than a few occasions, I have driven from lying snow to falling snow but wet ground to rain over the course of a mile.

Regarding events, yes the easterly brought a few streamers that were about five miles from my house, that dropped about 5cm. I also had something similar occur during a NW. However, we did still manage to have around 20 days of falling snow, which by the way isn't a massive amount if you average it out throughout the winter. That's about 4 days each month.

That is a massive amount, actually. And I agree, from your posts here it would seem that you actually only had about 5 days when any snow even fell, nevermind stuck, at your house. You did do a lot of driving to see snow, but that doesn't count.

No that’s not true at all. We definitely did have snow fall on 20 days.. we had a few days in December and the other winter months.. again not hard to add up if you have a few days each month.

But if you want to dispute that, that’s your perogative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭highdef

I live in the very north of Kildare, not known for its high ground. The house on the top of the hill to my immediate south is at 137m and the house on the top of the hill to my immediate north is at 148m. My house sits in between, in a small valley and is at 87m.
    At my location I have had 9 days of snow lying and 20 days of snow falling, which is actually about average but as you say we had a bit of a snow drought in the easterly.

Your location is stated as Limavady, which is more or less at sea level but it's assumed that you don't actually live in the town but you use the town as a reference point for your home as it is the closest urban area to you.
    • What height above sea level is your home located at?
    • Did the 9 days of lying snow occur at your house?
    • Did the 9 days of lying snow occur during the meteorological winter months of December/January/February?
    • What is your criteria for lying snow? For example, if it snows at my location and the snow sticks to rooves, grass and cars but does not stick to roads and pavements, I do not classify that as lying snow. I could be incorrect with regards to that classification but it's what I use so would be good to know what your criteria is in order to make a cross comparison to my own location.
    • For any of the 9 days of lying snow and/or 20 days of lying snow, did you have to travel elsewhere/away from your home, in order to witness lying and/or falling snow because such conditions were not occurring at your home?

The last question was asked because of observations I have made throughout the winter where rain or nothing was falling at your house so you travelled to another location in order to witness snow falling and/or on the ground.

The couple of small hills beside me, which I mentioned at the beginning of this post when I was sharing altitude details at my home, are only 50/60m higher than me in altitude but normally there are several occasions during each winter where there is either falling snow and/or lying snow at the summits whereas I have neither at my home. They are only about a kilometre away from my home but obviously cannot be counted as they are somewhere else.

Limavady is only about 6km from the sea and more or less as sea level but less than 8km inland from it and heading east towards Ringsend, the B66 road rises to almost 250m. That's massive increase in height when it comes to potential difference between heavy rain and whiteout snow.

Like others here Nqp15hhu,I'm just concerned as to why you feel the need to make stuff up and post it here
    Your 20 days of falling snow this winter at your location and 9 days is untrue and you know this
    This is the internet you are posting on,we know you are lying because the data all around you does not support your lies
    My advice is not to tell any more lies and just post about the real weather in your area like the rest of us
    You are after damaging your repuation as a poster beyond repair on weather too many times already with this carry on though

Excuse me how dare you accuse me of lying. Who do you think you are? I owe you nothing.

However, we did still manage to have around 20 days of falling snow, which by the way isn't a massive amount if you average it out throughout the winter. That's about 4 days each month.

that comes to just under 7 days per winter month on average.

New Moon

If I were a snow obsessed man looking for a place to move to in Ireland for the snow, the north coast, or any coast, would not the places I'd be looking at. Roscommon/Leitrim/Cavan would be my preferred choice of area, plus they are more prone to summer thunderstorms than most other areas. Win win.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭highdef

highdef wrote: »
    I live in the very north of Kildare, not known for its high ground. The house on the top of the hill to my immediate south is at 137m and the house on the top of the hill to my immediate north is at 148m. My house sits in between, in a small valley and is at 87m.

Your location is stated as Limavady, which is more or less at sea level but it's assumed that you don't actually live in the town but you use the town as a reference point for your home as it is the closest urban area to you.
    • What height above sea level is your home located at?
    • Did the 9 days of lying snow occur at your house?
    • Did the 9 days of lying snow occur during the meteorological winter months of December/January/February?
    • What is your criteria for lying snow? For example, if it snows at my location and the snow sticks to rooves, grass and cars but does not stick to roads and pavements, I do not classify that as lying snow. I could be incorrect with regards to that classification but it's what I use so would be good to know what your criteria is in order to make a cross comparison to my own location.
    • For any of the 9 days of lying snow and/or 20 days of lying snow, did you have to travel elsewhere/away from your home, in order to witness lying and/or falling snow because such conditions were not occurring at your home?

The last question was asked because of observations I have made throughout the winter where rain or nothing was falling at your house so you travelled to another location in order to witness snow falling and/or on the ground.

The couple of small hills beside me, which I mentioned at the beginning of this post when I was sharing altitude details at my home, are only 50/60m higher than me in altitude but normally there are several occasions during each winter where there is either falling snow and/or lying snow at the summits whereas I have neither at my home. They are only about a kilometre away from my home but obviously cannot be counted as they are somewhere else.

Limavady is only about 6km from the sea and more or less as sea level but less than 8km inland from it and heading east towards Ringsend, the B66 road rises to almost 250m. That's massive increase in height when it comes to potential difference between heavy rain and whiteout snow.

Nqp15hhu, are you going to respond? I put a lot of effort into my post.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    If I were a snow obsessed man looking for a place to move to in Ireland for the snow, the north coast, or any coast, would not the places I'd be looking at. Roscommon/Leitrim/Cavan would be my preferred choice of area, plus they are more prone to summer thunderstorms than most other areas. Win win.

If I had a choice it would be somewhere on the Ballybrack road past Jonny Foxes in Glencullen, that's all around 300 metres, there or probably back in or near Roundwood with views of the lakes. In my dreams only alas, herself doesn't want to live in the countryside.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Maybe you could take her on a staycation to this place next January-

https://m.facebook.com/BallinascorneyLodge/

That's what I'm planning to do anyway!

Supercell wrote: »
    If I had a choice it would be somewhere on the Ballybrack road past Jonny Foxes in Glencullen, that's all around 300 metres, there or probably back in or near Roundwood with views of the lakes. In my dreams only alas, herself doesn't want to live in the countryside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭arctictree

I'm at 250M and get a fair bit of falling snow every winter. Anytime the met say sleet/snow on high ground then we generally get it. Lying snow is very hit and miss, some years we could have 10 to 20 days, other years much less. If we get a good dumping and the weather stays cold then it can stay for weeks. There are houses higher up and they get much more lying snow then us. I'd say the summit of Lugnaquilla would have 30 to 60 days of lying snow each winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Use to have snow end of September to May when I was in Fort MacMurray at 260 meters approx. Would say height had little do do with it . Had summer snow some years. But it would be gone by 6am.That was always a strange one.

Advertisement