Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Forts

• 04-02-2021 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

Why do forts have different shapes?

Comments

Typically, forts were built so that there were no blind spots that defending guns could not fire in to. This resulted in many having a star shape. If you look up Bastion Forts you will get more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Plus, the shape of the fort will often be affected by the topography of the land - e.g. boundary walls may follow the contours of the land in order to maintain an even height, or they will be located just where a steep fall of land starts, so that anyone attacking them has to climb up to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mach Two

My apologies I should have said "fairy fort".

They're mostly pretty circular, aren't they? And, where they aren't, the commonest reason is that they have been partly destroyed, or partly overlaid by some other structure.

Also worth bearing in mind that they were built over a very long period of time, and in many cases for different purposes - some were livestock enclosures, some were dwellings, some were fortifications, etc. Some were repurposed from one use to another over time. All of these factors would account for some design variation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Many forts also have graves for unbaptized babies, the one on our land has a grave.

• Advertisement

I see a fort the shape of a boat on Google earth that has the shape of a boat. And it is pointing directly North.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

Are you sure it's a ring fort? How is it described by the National Monuments service?

I think I've just lost a post. Check it out here and see whether it is described as a fort.

https://maps.archaeology.ie/HistoricEnvironment/

• Registered Users Posts: 11 danoH

Raths are the most common fort types to be seen throughout Ireland..many raths were used as dwellings-farmhouse and outbuildings but were not meant or used for defence -the banks would keep out wild animals -foxes wolves but not attack by humans

tromtipp wrote: »
    I think I've just lost a post. Check it out here and see whether it is described as a fort.

https://maps.archaeology.ie/HistoricEnvironment/

Not recorded on map.

• Advertisement

Then it may not, in fact, be a fort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

danoH wrote: »
    Raths are the most common fort types to be seen throughout Ireland..many raths were used as dwellings-farmhouse and outbuildings but were not meant or used for defence -the banks would keep out wild animals -foxes wolves but not attack by humans

Depends how you define "defence".

Livestock was a big part of early Celtic society. Raths could be used as livestock pens and a safeguard against rustlers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Mach Two wrote: »
    I see a fort the shape of a boat on Google earth that has the shape of a boat. And it is pointing directly North.
    a link could be useful.

Shouldn't be any need. Covered in trees anyhow. Approximately 50 yds long. At its widest maybe 10yds. Built on a hill/rise with a slightly higher hill about 200yds to its east.

A link to the google earth image would be interesting

Advertisement