Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BGW and DGW 20/21 Discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Benimar wrote: »
    I think the big advantage of BGW18 and DGW19 is that we know the fixtures. The later DGW will be for teams who get to the QF of the FA Cup, so there is no guarantee the double fixtures will be nice. There is also the possibility of more rotation later on. GW32 (a likely landing spot for a DGW) comes between the QF and SF of the European Competitions, so the 'big' teams who we would want to have 2 games might not go full strength in both.

I think I'll BB in DGW19, but maybe with only 11 or so DGWers, Son/Kane, Dias, Grealish and Martinez.

That is very true, and after being very bláse about it, this does make me a bit more interested in really attacking these double game weeks.

Its been a long season already, so teams might be on the beach earlier than usual

• Registered Users Posts: 32,822 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    I have 2 free. Will take joys out tonight and maybe focus on creating a playing bench over the Christmas for a bench boost / free hit.
    Yeah, I think now is a good time to go through your squad and establish which are the ones that are ok to switch out in favour of Christmas/DGW moves.

For me I'd established Martinez, Chelsea defender (I may move from Chilwell to James), Dias, Dallas, Salah, Son, Fernandes, KDB, Grealish and Bamford as people who I'm not touching regardless.

So I think that means I'll spend the Christmas period making minor changes and Steer, Lamptey, Mitchell, Adams and Brewster will probably be the guys that I switch over to fixture friendly options.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Bit way out but there's plenty of point scorers for all those teams, load of on a big front 7 for one week and a budget defence

Not even looking at budget you've got

Darlow
    Konsa Lamptey Stones
    Son PEA Zaha KDB Grealish
    Aguero DCL

You've Kane to consider too if you can shoehorn him in there, maybe take a Neto in midfield. You've PVA, Reguilion, Digne, if ya prefer to go bigger at the back

Decent enough team to be fair, it's just that you will have a lot of players up against each other which is never ideal.

I think I'll just need to do a fair bit of planning to see how to best approach the two game weeks. It could be a season defining 2 weeks for a lot of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I’m always against using the FH in a BGW, lower upside, I’ll be keeping mine for one of the other DGWs. I think the fact that city and Spurs have a decent fixture in 19 makes this viable, I’m happier with them having one game than others with two

Green&Red wrote: »
    I’m always against using the FH in a BGW, lower upside, I’ll be keeping mine for one of the other DGWs. I think the fact that city and Spurs have a decent fixture in 19 makes this viable, I’m happier with them having one game than others with two

You may well be right. So much number crunching to do between now and Dec 26th deadline.

• Advertisement

I can get to 10 players for 18 and have two transfers for 19. A -8 should see me to a team I’d be happy to BB

But that gives no contingency

I think you need have a decision made before the deadline this week if you want to optimise your transfers

I think you need have a decision made before the deadline this week if you want to optimise your transfers

Agreed, and sitting here with two FT and Jota and Ryan to replace wondering which way to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

Thinking out loud here:
    agree with a lot of what's been said

I see free hit 18 as a bit of a waste, could be needed more later in the season.

City and Spurs have decent gw18 and gw19 fixtures.
    A lot of people will already own and could carry their players into 18/19 if needed.

I wouldn't be against a Free Hit in 19 to get 11 DGW-ers but I am already sitting on 7 DGWers for GW19.

As it stands I'll also have KDB, Ederson, Cancelo, Son, Lamptey and DCl with single fixtures in gw19 to make up my XI.

If before GW18 I can work in a couple of more players for the blank to have 8 players in GW18. I think this is plenty.

Bank transfer in GW18 and can carry 2 FTs in GW19 and load up my bench with cheap doublers and use Bench boost.

Maybe moving Ederson, Lamptey and DCL on for -4.
    To cheap Keeper, Robertson and ??? depending how much I have in the bank.

For DGW 19
    Aiming for 11 or 12 DGWers
    and carrying
    KDB
    Cancelo
    Son

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'm currently looking at 9 players in BGW18 & 19 players for DGW19 which I'm happy enough with at the minute.

Now, the more detailed look at that is that a few of those players are facing off against each other like Villa v Spurs is a direct Martinez v Kane so unless Kane scores, or Villa CS and the points go missing and it's only 4 points there.

Currently looking into the bench boost option really for DGW19. I think with so many playing players, it's the best option. I don't think I need to FH just yet, unless there is a lot of Christmas injuries. Might actually use the 2 or 3 transfers around these weeks to bring in bench boost options if I know that players are not going to be playing in GW18 anyways, or have tricky DGW19 ties like example I'd rather have a WHU defender than Saints defender because of ease of ties/same price market.

TC on Salah in that week is appealing though. 2 home games. Possibly a Vardy party instead.

• Advertisement

Or bank it and postpone it a week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

I think the key question to ask is which non double gw player(s) are you looking to keep for GW19 and beyond based on both current form and medium-term fixtures?

For me i plan on keeping both Son and Martinez. Both on good form, decent fixtures and I see them both in the top scoring 3 mids and gks by the end of the year.

Currently my single Gw19 doubt is KDB. He’d want want to get a haul or two over xmas to stay in the team for gw19. That money could be well spent in the DGW

Just planned it all out, going to go big on this DGW, had an awful year so far.

If it works great....

If it doesnt ghost team.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Just looking through the calendar, to see how much messiness we need to contend with this year:
    1. Still have DGW's from GW1 for 4 teams Man City, Man U, Burnley, Villa - Could fit in as DGW26 or DGW37
    2. GW26 clashes with League Cup Final - nothing midweek so league fixtures could be moved to the following Wed and stay in same GW
    3. BGW28 for whoever makes the FA Cup QF - international window after so will need to be accommodated elsewhere (possibly in GW26 also)
    4. GW32 clashes with the FA Cup SF - nothing midweek so league fixtures could be moved to the following Wed and stay in same GW
    5. GW37 clashes with the FA Cup Final - nothing midweek so league fixtures could be moved to the following Wed and stay in same GW

So points 2, 4, and 5 should have no impact on BGW/DGW's. Looks like the fixture guys have it fairly well lined up, so that each time a Cup game potentially clashes with the League game, they've left the following midweek free from fixtures (incl Europe). So there is no need for Blanks and Doubles for anything apart from GW28 (FA Cup QF), when there's an international window after it.

I suspect DGW26 will be as big as DGW19, and it's anyone's guess what happens if any of MU/MC/AV/Burnley make it to the FA Cup Final - they'd likely be on some European midweek.

TL:DR - there's an equally big BGW likely in GW28, and equally big DGW in one of 26/37

I agree I think based on those fixtures I will try and half navigate gw19 and gw18 by planning or -4's, or a few non playing players. gw19 does not seem that attractive a choice. Currently I only have five players who will missing the blank gw and one of them is a keeper.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Just planned it all out, going to go big on this DGW, had an awful year so far.

If it works great....

If it doesnt ghost team.....

Ah sure you might as well have fun with it. That is what the game is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Have barely looked at this but would it be sensible to transfer in a few players in the lead up to gw18 and say have at least 8-9 starters then wildcard on gw18 for gw19?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Every team is different so strategies might not be one size fits all.

For those saying FH in GW18 is a waste, my assumption is that you might have Kane/Son, maybe at least 2 City players, 2 Villa players, DCL and maybe Neto or Wilson?

i.e. if you have about 8 decent players who play in 18 I can see why FH in 18 seems unappetising.

I currently have 6 players for GW 18, which includes Brewster and Jamal Lewis. It seems a no-brainer for me to totally ignore GW18 now and earmark the FH for it, and target GW19 with a likely BB. I'd be interested if anyone who thinks FH in 18 is a waste thinks there is a better strategy for my team, because to me this seems like a very straightforward decision.

Regarding the later blanks/doubles, I think like Benimar was saying, we at least know for sure that the chips will be very useful here. We're not sure what the later weeks will look like, there may not be as many blanks/doubles. I'd rather go with the known quantity and use my chips now where the fixtures suggest a real benefit in having them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Have barely looked at this but would it be sensible to transfer in a few players in the lead up to gw18 and say have at least 8-9 starters then wildcard on gw18 for gw19?

First thing you have to do before anything else is count up your players who have a fixture in GW18, vs the amount of players who double in 19.

I think that has to be the starting point for any strategy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,594 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Just in case anyone loses their mind and gives money to Ben Crelin....:D

I've updated the fixtures tracker with the BGW/DGW information - it was a bit of a manual workaround so let me know if there's any errors and I can fix.

Row 22 will give you the amount of players you'll have in the BGW and DGW.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭COH

@Cartman78

You are the f*cking man. Thanks (again) for this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Cartman78 wrote: »

I've updated the fixtures tracker with the BGW/DGW information - it was a bit of a manual workaround so let me know if there's any errors and I can fix.

Class. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Free hit in 18 for me unless I have son / Kane by then or one gets injured.

Something like this

Martinez
    , dann, pva, dias, Lewis fodder
    Kdb sterling zaha, neto, son
    Kane Wilson / dcl

On a quick glance.

That's from
    McCarthy
    Kwp, chilwell, cresswe!l, kilman lamptey
    Kdb salah bruno, jota, bissouma
    Wilson, bamford dcl

Think it's worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Well done thats class.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,594 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I've only started looking at this today when I was throwing the sheet together......initial thoughts are that it's not the the most appealing BGW/DGW scenario...not sure yet if it's worth a Free Hit and/or BB :confused:

Will have a proper look in a while but I think some advance planning and a couple of hits might be the best way to go

I respect your autorit-ieee.

Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I've only started looking at this today when I was throwing the sheet together......initial thoughts are that it's not the the most appealing BGW/DGW scenario...not sure yet if it's worth a Free Hit and/or BB :confused:

Will have a proper look in a while but I think some advance planning and a couple of hits might be the best way to go
    I'm going for it with the FH/BB idea becuase:
    1. I'm languisihing at 1.5m, need something to kickstart it.
    2. I have 6 weeks to plan, so plenty of time to get the plan in place.
    3. The double in 37 is always a dud, teams on the beach, bad teams fighting for their lives, so want to avoid that.
    4. Leaves me GW34 for a TC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

Ah sure you might as well have fun with it. That is what the game is all about.

must be playing a different game than me, nothing fun about FPL :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭shmeee

You can't use WC and a BB or TC chip on the DGW at the same time.

My template plan like so many is;

Dead end into GW15
    WC GW16
    FH GW18
    BB GW 19

Call it all off GW20 when none of the above pays off.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

I think I’ll free hit and bench boost in 18/19... idea now is to get in a squad of starters so Kane might be on the chopping block to free funds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Doing a bit of planning here, West Ham on the DGW look an awful trap
    Burnley (H) - Dyche/Pope
    West Brom (H) - Big Sam back at WH

No doubt I'll have Coufal, Soucek and Antonio by then

Advertisement