Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BGW and DGW 20/21 Discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,661 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Injurys pending, think I'll be looking at Grealish, Son, DCL and 13 DGW'ers for the Bench Boost

Where you get the 16 man chip? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,431 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Don't think I'll be free hitting for the blank, have two Villa, two City and Wilson and will probably add Son. The fixtures aren't appealing and it just feels like a waste if you have have the template players already. I'll use transfers between then and now to focus on dwgk teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Just looking through the fixtures, Newcastle V Villa got cancelled a few weeks back. Both play GW18 midweek and have nothing the following midweek. Surely the obvious thing would be to put that game in there. That would give both of those teams a game in 18 AND a double in 19.

Villa also have another backlog game to get played so seems a no brainier to catch one of them up

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Just looking through the fixtures, Newcastle V Villa got cancelled a few weeks back. Both play GW18 midweek and have nothing the following midweek. Surely the obvious thing would be to put that game in there. That would give both of those teams a game in 18 AND a double in 19.

Villa also have another backlog game to get played so seems a no brainier to catch one of them up

Winter break, defeats the purpose by scheduling a game.

F1ngers wrote: »

There’s no winter break this year
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53767120

Looking at it again, all the teams that had a GW1 blank, have a blank GW18. Makes more sense to play those games off then, as the Manchester clubs will be in Europe later in the season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,661 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

F1ngers wrote: »

I may be wrong but I it's not necessarily a winter break. It's more TV companies moving the games, as the PL clearly came out and said they were scrapping the winter break. So if there is room for those games to be played i'd say there is a chance they will be.

There’s no winter break this year
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53767120

Can't seem to get the winter break idea out of my head. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Don't think I'll be free hitting for the blank, have two Villa, two City and Wilson and will probably add Son. The fixtures aren't appealing and it just feels like a waste if you have have the template players already. I'll use transfers between then and now to focus on dwgk teams.

There will be the usual blank double combo deeper into the season too. Depends on how someone's team looks now compared to the coming known blanks and doubles.

Also have to consider who has doubles and who they are playing. Are they better than your average double or worse? Will the next double have better teams.playing worse teams?

God I have to look at my team now after saying all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭skippy15

Think will just free hit the first week and build up to second dgw then use wildcard bench boost combo later in the season,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

skippy15 wrote: »
    Think will just free hit the first week and build up to second dgw then use wildcard bench boost combo later in the season,

Its a bit of an intersting wrinkle though that the players that had blank GW1 are mostly the first week so could we end up with (City as an example)

GW18 Skinny 1 City
    GW19 DGW 1 City
    GW20 Standard 1 City
    GW21 GW1 Games added 2 City

So building towards GW19 could end up with a very early wildcard to catch the GW1 doubles. Like you want to sell Villa for DGW but then want them back in for a hypothetical GW21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Think I'll build towards having 10 players for gw18 and then wildcard for gw19. Is that the best solution with my freehit used?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Think I'll build towards having 10 players for gw18 and then wildcard for gw19. Is that the best solution with my freehit used?

I am thinking about same strategy but do have a question - can you use triple captain chip same week you are wildcarding?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

I am thinking about same strategy but do have a question - can you use triple captain chip same week you are wildcarding?

Just curious are you planning on wildcarding before xmas?

https://fantasy.premierleague.com/help/rules

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

mamax wrote: »
    Just curious are you planning on wildcarding before xmas?

Ive wildcarded after GW3.

Thinking of 2nd wildcard but now that I think about it, it is pretty dramatic to wildcard for fixtures... will see closer to the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Might sit down and have a look at this properly later. At a glance I didn't see many standout double games to target. Maybe city?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,822 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Might sit down and have a look at this properly later. At a glance I didn't see many standout double games to target. Maybe city?

I think my plan is to bank my transfer this weekend which will give me an extra week to put a plan together with the exact same amount of transfers to do so.

In the past, I’ve pulled my team apart too much chasing Blank and Double Gameweeks, and this year I’m determined to only make changes that I’m confident will be an overall benefit.

One strategy I’ve looked at is transferring out my 2nd Villa goalkeeper for a playing goalkeeper with a double. Ideally for someone who has good fixtures post Stephen’s Day when Martinez’s fixtures become bad also. 2 birds 1 stone kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Have 9 players with a dgw in week 19 but only 5 players with a sgw in week 18. I think I'll free hit in 18 and every week from now until 19 bring in a player a week that has a dgw. Aim to have 12-13 dgws and bench boost in 19

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Was going to free hit for gw18 but the fixtures aren't great. Apart from City V Brighton, lot of the games could be quite tight

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

siblers wrote: »
    Apart from City V Brighton, lot of the games could be quite tight

Including City V Brighton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Was going to free hit for gw18 but the fixtures aren't great. Apart from City V Brighton, lot of the games could be quite tight

I'm thinking the same, I have 7 players for the blank week so I can easily get 11 without messing up my team as I have 2 frees this week. I'd bring in Kane, a city midfieder and a couple of cheap bench defenders. I can then get better use out of the free hit in the double gameweek.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭sheroman01

I think it’s worth suffering in GW18 and reaping the rewards of a Free Hit in GW19. That being said I’ve only 6 maybe 7 players for GW18. Does seem very light ...

sheroman01 wrote: »
    I think it’s worth suffering in GW18 and reaping the rewards of a Free Hit in GW19. That being said I’ve only 6 maybe 7 players for GW18. Does seem very light ...

Just make sure you have 2 transfers going into gw18 and you can up that to 9 players. As long as you have a good set of 9 players you won't lose much ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

From looking at my team I only have 6 for GW18 including Mitchell and Burke. Think I'll build towards the DGW and FH for 18

Dearg81 wrote: »
    I'm thinking the same, I have 7 players for the blank week so I can easily get 11 without messing up my team as I have 2 frees this week. I'd bring in Kane, a city midfieder and a couple of cheap bench defenders. I can then get better use out of the free hit in the double gameweek.

Yeah, If I had 8 or 9 for the single GW i'd be happy enough. It should hopefully catch a few in my league on the hop as most of them have used their FH and Bench Boost already.

I'm unsure whether to FH or Bench Boost for the DGW. Bench Boosting for DGWs has always failed miserably for me before so may just Free Hit

Including City V Brighton

Hopefully Aguero will be fit and KDB will be feeding him assists

Bit way out but there's plenty of point scorers for all those teams, load of on a big front 7 for one week and a budget defence

Not even looking at budget you've got

Darlow
    Konsa Lamptey Stones
    Son PEA Zaha KDB Grealish
    Aguero DCL

You've Kane to consider too if you can shoehorn him in there, maybe take a Neto in midfield. You've PVA, Reguilion, Digne, if ya prefer to go bigger at the back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

CSF wrote: »
    I think my plan is to bank my transfer this weekend which will give me an extra week to put a plan together with the exact same amount of transfers to do so.

In the past, I’ve pulled my team apart too much chasing Blank and Double Gameweeks, and this year I’m determined to only make changes that I’m confident will be an overall benefit.

One strategy I’ve looked at is transferring out my 2nd Villa goalkeeper for a playing goalkeeper with a double. Ideally for someone who has good fixtures post Stephen’s Day when Martinez’s fixtures become bad also. 2 birds 1 stone kind of thing.

I have 2 free. Will take joys out tonight and maybe focus on creating a playing bench over the Christmas for a bench boost / free hit.

Yeah, If I had 8 or 9 for the single GW i'd be happy enough. It should hopefully catch a few in my league on the hop as most of them have used their FH and Bench Boost already.

I'm unsure whether to FH or Bench Boost for the DGW. Bench Boosting for DGWs has always failed miserably for me before so may just Free Hit

I think you should use free hit. The bench boost is my favourite chip, I got close to 50 points 2 years ago and around 30 points last year. I'll be using it the week after my wildcard for the 2nd double game week (there will be another one) to guarantee a strong bench with no hits needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

I think the big advantage of BGW18 and DGW19 is that we know the fixtures. The later DGW will be for teams who get to the QF of the FA Cup, so there is no guarantee the double fixtures will be nice. There is also the possibility of more rotation later on. GW32 (a likely landing spot for a DGW) comes between the QF and SF of the European Competitions, so the 'big' teams who we would want to have 2 games might not go full strength in both.

I think I'll BB in DGW19, but maybe with only 11 or so DGWers, Son/Kane, Dias, Grealish and Martinez.

Advertisement