Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The PGA Tour Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Rory.....:(

6 cans deep and feel better about my game tomorrow! Dont think I've ever seen a shot so bad.

He was unlucky with the putt, very harsh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

He should be hitting 3 wood off that tee, he ended up in the same tough yesterday. He’s still in it but needs to go low today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

I think the new handicapped FedEx system might bite the PGA in the rear tonight. DJ with a 5 shot lead doesn't bode well for an exciting Tour Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭bren2001

HighLine wrote: »
    I think the new handicapped FedEx system might bite the PGA in the rear tonight. DJ with a 5 shot lead doesn't bode well for an exciting Tour Championship.

It's such a crazy system. I understand the logic and desire of wanting the winner of the Tour championship to win the Fed Ex but it will inevitably lead to situations like this.

My golf society are doing it this year with the final outing deciding the player of the year. That should be interesting....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Schaueff leads the 72 hole tournament for anyone who’s interested in that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Still feel the same way?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Absolutely rattled that in. Massive par for Johnson who is starting to feel a bit of pressure

GreeBo wrote: »
    Still feel the same way?

Absolutely!

GreeBo wrote: »
    Still feel the same way?

To be fair though, I think if it was the old system, Xander would have a few shots in hand so either way, not terribly exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

To be fair though, I think if it was the old system, Xander would have a few shots in hand so either way, not terribly exciting.

Xander wouldn’t have been guaranteed the FedEx cup with a win though. Thomas would have been second with Johnson tied third. I’m not sure in that case who would have won it. Probably still Johnson after his last 4 results.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

This way does make it easier to understand who is winning the FedEx Cup - especially for the casual tv viewer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

That 15M fedEx cup money doesn't count as PGA tour money.

He only won 5.8m with 3 wins from a PGA tour point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

The bonus is an obscene amount of cash. I'd prefer to see them providing a safety net for players who lost their playing card or new players trying to break through who have to play qualifiers and stay in motel 6's.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    The bonus is an obscene amount of cash. I'd prefer to see them providing a safety net for players who lost their playing card or new players trying to break through who have to play qualifiers and stay in motel 6's.

When that happens that is when this PGL will step in again and provide the massive purses to the big players. Ultimately the top players aren’t getting paid enough for the money they are generating for the lower players.

Players who are like 130 on the points race are still earning over a million every year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,041 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Greg Norman has his own plane. I wont lose too much sleep for him.

You could do this with every sport from Basketball to Football to Darts even

Greg Norman has his own plane. I wont lose too much sleep for him.

You could do this with every sport from Basketball to Football to Darts even

Yeah Norman made a fortune after golf, not why I posted it only to highlight the enormous increase in prize money in the last 20 years.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I think it's a valid point to where current purses have come from, sure Tiger really kicked it off with his ascendency

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

15m,but is he happy 😊, I'm happy just to win a box of balls for nearest the pin

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Absolutely!

I thought it was pretty exciting, sure he was 3 ahead (after being 5!) but that happens lots of times.

Its not like he had a 10 shot lead over everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

DJ is the man!

When he's on his game like the last few weeks, he's a joy to watch, those gentle power fades with the driver are amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Great stat

As an aside I was reading about Norman and apparently he has a net worth North of $400 million, which doesn't include the $105 million he gave to one of his ex wives :eek:

Brooks has pulled out of the US open! Since he opened his mouth DJ hadn't stopped winning!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭New Era

Very sad to hear the news this Friday morning that John Daly, two time major winner has been diagnosed with bladder cancer. I just read his comments on the golf channel in the US. Doesn't look overly optimistic though, there is an 85% chance of the cancer returning, but hopefully John can pull through, one of golf's great characters. Incredible that John Daly has never represented his country at a Ryder Cup, which is extraordinary.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/john-daly-reveals-bladder-cancer-diagnosis

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

New Era wrote: »
    Very sad to hear the news this Friday morning that John Daly, two time major winner has been diagnosed with bladder cancer. I just read his comments on the golf channel in the US. Doesn't look overly optimistic though, there is an 85% chance of the cancer returning, but hopefully John can pull through, one of golf's great characters. Incredible that John Daly has never represented his country at a Ryder Cup, which is extraordinary.

One of golfs great characters. Hit it hard is one of the best sports documentaries around and is worth checking out. Hopefully he makes a full recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

New Era wrote: »

I recently listened to the audio book version of his autobiography My Life In and Out of the Rough. It's from 2006 but a good listen. He's a simple enough, easy going character in some ways. Had a lot of complications in his life, many drink related. Had some gorgeous women as wives and partners. How he ever played professional golf, let alone win 2 majors is incredible given how much he drank. Shows how much natural talent he had. Hope he recovers.

Having a decent round too 3 under through 17.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

I recently listened to the audio book version of his autobiography My Life In and Out of the Rough. It's from 2006 but a good listen. He's a simple enough, easy going character in some ways. Had a lot of complications in his life, many drink related. Had some gorgeous women as wives and partners. How he ever played professional golf, let alone win 2 majors is incredible given how much he drank. Shows how much natural talent he had. Hope he recovers.
    Good story that Tiger Woods was going to the practice range, and went through the bar, John Daly was in there, and asked him would he have a drink with him. Tiger replied, "I have to practice John, if I was as good as you, I could have a drink" don't know how true it is, but he is a real character and a top golfer, sad news, hopefully he will rally, he is into his music too, and sang a nice song called all my exes wear rolexes. Married and divorced a few times. He has a son called John, he's a handy player as well.

• Advertisement

El Sueño wrote: »

Wouldn't be too concerned with the course playing tough or that over par will win it ultimately the player with the lowest score will still win.

It's the 7500 yards par 70 that will likely make it a slog and rule out half of the field from the start. I'd much rather slightly less length with heightened rough, fast greens and tricky pin positions.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement