Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children in areas not playing outside

• 16-07-2020 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

I notice in my area the kids barely play outside even though there are tons of kids living around here, I'm pretty sure they all only do set activities they arrange beforehand and in their spare time they just stay at home playing video games and go to eachothers houses.

Do you think this is bad for children or do you think they're better off staying at home out of trouble? What ever happened to a few nic nacs? Can't remember the last time someone done a nic at my house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I don't know what vintage you are, but these days kids are not allowed out in the street in general now. It's all back garden stuff that's why there are so many feckin trampolines! The only time we see young kids now is at Halloween and they are all accompanied by an adult, we were just shoved out the door in our bin bags and stupid hats.

Fear is the key, pedos, traffic, other mad kids, bullying and so on. I know some do use screens but it is kind of balanced with activities like sports etc, or at least it was until Covid.

Times are different now and things evolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,067 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The world is a less dangerous place now we're just living in fear. When a government has a society in a constant state of fear there easy control.
    Now shut up and wear a facemask like a good citizen.

We're in the process of destroying a multitude of generations right now, everyone is afraid of everyone now. I for one am completely sick of the way were being controlled.
    We should have never given up our arms.

The world is a less dangerous place now we're just living in fear. When a government has a society in a constant state of fear there easy control.

We're in the process of destroying a multitude of generations right now, everyone is afraid of everyone now. I for one am completely sick of the way were being controlled.

There's a lot of truth in what you say, but what can we do about it? Apart from getting our arms back along with our fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Adam9213

I don't know what vintage you are, but these days kids are not allowed out in the street in general now. It's all back garden stuff that's why there are so many feckin trampolines! The only time we see young kids now is at Halloween and they are all accompanied by an adult, we were just shoved out the door in our bin bags and stupid hats.

Fear is the key, pedos, traffic, other mad kids, bullying and so on. I know some do use screens but it is kind of balanced with activities like sports etc, or at least it was until Covid.

Times are different now and things evolve.

In some areas though kids are literally everywhere it seems as though it's the middle and upper class areas where kids are staying inside.

Maybe it's a reflection of how Ireland is changing and the wealth of the country as well as better technology that kids don't get as bored staying at home anymore and don't feel the need to go outside whereas even 20 or so years ago it wouldn't be nearly as easy to stay entertained at home.

Even when I was a kid I was in a middle class area nearly all of us used to spend most of our time outside.

I think it's more that information is more widely available these days that we just hear so much more of what goes on these days rather than anyone purposely trying to assert fear.

• Advertisement

Adam9213 wrote: »
    I think it's more that information is more widely available these days that we just hear so much more of what goes on these days rather than anyone purposely trying to assert fear.

That's true, but also there is a lot of stigma against parents who allow their kids to run amok in the street. That is not happening much anymore, it is not cricket nowadays, so keeping kids inside or out the back and ferrying them here there and yonder for sports, playdates and sleepovers is the right thing to do. According to Facebook I suspect.

That's true, but also there is a lot of stigma against parents who allow their kids to run amok in the street. That is not happening much anymore, it is not cricket nowadays, so keeping kids inside or out the back and ferrying them here there and yonder for sports, playdates and sleepovers is the right thing to do. According to Facebook I suspect.

I have a nephew who's nearly ten years old and for some reason I couldn't imagine him playing outside and wandering the streets alone.

I was doing that when I was 7 years old and so were most of the kids apart from a few who we would joke around with in school for not being allowed outside, I think also that the kids these days are not as matured or street smart as many years ago.

I think actually it's mainly about the kids these days being less street wise so unlike years ago it's not as appropriate to let the children out as they are far more likely to be able to take care of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

Its the maddy case. It destroyed parenthood completely.

You'd be reported now if you let your kid out.

The fear of blame is extreme when you see how those poor parents were destroyed by society because a child was taken in the night while they were a few meters away.

Its hysteria. I'm in my 30s and grew up in suburbia where kids roamed completely free of supervision across estates and villages anywhere from the age of 6 upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

I have a totally different experience. My neighbourhood is awash with kids daily doing the usual kids stuff...prams, bikes, soccer, hurling, etc.

• Advertisement

Its the maddy case. It destroyed parenthood completely.

You'd be reported now if you let your kid out.

The fear of blame is extreme when you see how those poor parents were destroyed by society because a child was taken in the night while they were a few meters away.

Its hysteria. I'm in my 30s and grew up in suburbia where kids roamed completely free of supervision across estates and villages anywhere from the age of 6 upwards.

To be honest though at the age the girls were it's not really acceptable to leave them home alone while they go out drinking at night, I definitely view them somewhat responsible for what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭scilover

For my area, there's still kids outside playing every once in a while but I think it can't be compared way back then. Times have just changed, as soon as those kids become a teen, they'll just start spending time on their phones and laptop more.

scilover wrote: »
    For my area, there's still kids outside playing every once in a while but I think it can't be compared way back then. Times have just changed, as soon as those kids become a teen, they'll just start spending time on their phones and laptop more.

You're right it definitely depends on the area, I'd guess that outside Dublin the kids would play outside a lot more in general but in terms of middle and upper class Dublin I don't think hanging around outside is a thing anymore.

Parenting is a lot more strict these days too the lack of freedom and responsibility kids are trusted with from birth probably contributes quite a bit to kids being far less street smart for lack of a better word.

I remember when I would have been 7 or 8 is when me and the rest of the kids in my area started getting a lot of freedom, I'd come home I'd do my homework right away my mam would check it and then after that I could come and go as I pleased until my curfew which was around 9 although I did have phases where I'd stay at home playing PS1/2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Adam9213 wrote: »
    You're right it definitely depends on the area,
    Indeed. I live on the coast and the beaches and shortly inland are always busy with kids. Of course, that changed 4 months ago with COVID.

Advertisement