Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EA UFC 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

So if u compare the gameplay directly to 3 does it play better or?

Has anything changed massively or is it small changes?

It's weird, it feels more arcadey and messy but 3 was a bit as well if you were just spamming punch. I need to figure out the mechanics and differences though but the game is getting blasted online. The majority of complaints is about the new ground game which is horrible but switching back to legacy controls fixes that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Have legacy mode but can't get back into it. Don't know what I'm at on the ground for the most part

Takes too long after the fight. Just let me get into the next one

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    It's weird, it feels more arcadey and messy but 3 was a bit as well if you were just spamming punch. I need to figure out the mechanics and differences though but the game is getting blasted online. The majority of complaints is about the new ground game which is horrible but switching back to legacy controls fixes that.

Do you miss out on anything by switching back to legacy? Is it really that horrible or is it just a case of people complaining because it's new and not taking the time to learn it. Usually I find in games if they change the controls its for the better and just takes a bit of getting used to and giving it some time rather than switching back to legacy.

Axwell wrote: »
    Do you miss out on anything by switching back to legacy? Is it really that horrible or is it just a case of people complaining because it's new and not taking the time to learn it. Usually I find in games if they change the controls its for the better and just takes a bit of getting used to and giving it some time rather than switching back to legacy.

New controls are very weird. You get a submission direction, g&p direction and get up direction, no matter what position you're in. So if you go sub direction it either goes for sub, or advance to a position where you can get a sub. So you don't really know what position you're going for

• Advertisement

Yeah like Stephen said, it's like as if they made grappling for street fighter players. "Oh you're on the ground? Choose stand up, strike or sub by pressing a direction, no transitions, awful for any grappling fans.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

But surely the ability to transition still exists and its just a new way of doing it and figuring that out vs it being removed and only there for legacy?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,332 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Great 10 fights or so there against Zero, the game is pure chaos at this point and even doing the same things yields different results most times, but it’s fun and there’s definitely the base of a solid game in there.

It’s very clearly a beta though, lots of issues to iron out by the looks of it.

But surely the ability to transition still exists and its just a new way of doing it and figuring that out vs it being removed and only there for legacy?

I tried man but the 'simplified' grappling is meant for people who don't even know what a transition is. They are really trying to open it up to the casual audience and i can't blame them as the sport is too niche to make fifa/madden money so they are trying something but it shouldn't be the default option.

They said they simplified the sub game but it's chaos, last one was much more understandable.

Anyway, great fights with Marty including grappling only. The clinch definitely takes getting used to and still don't know what I'm doing really but when you start chaining takedowns to scrambles to clinch to takedown, it can flow really nice. Lots of broken bits in the beta like my fighter completely freezing to my transitions disappearing so i can't get up. Then there are weird ones which might be intentional. Anytime i postured up, i could only throw strikes until i was pulled down. Equally, when Marty posted up on me, all my grappling options went and i could just block or avoid punches until i auto pulled him down.

I think they are adding some moves to simplify the ground game but they are just confusing at the moment.

It's unpolished (worrying for a game out in a month even if it is beta) like the presentation seems off, like the ref points to both at the start and you can choose an emote but it's very disjointed. But saying that, in the messyness, there are some great this going on that pop out.

One thing though, if you taunt and get hit clean, you are going to sleep :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Holding off on a pre order for now so!

Thanks for all the info lads Ill be keeping a close eye on developments though hopefully things have improved by time we get to play final game.

• Advertisement

Sounds a bit ridiculous if people using one set of controls have way less moves and options than those that play legacy. God help anyone knew to the game playing anyone thats played before if thats the case. Seems like an unfair advantage/disadvantage.

Finally got sorted with my beta code so will try get a few games in and report back my thoughts. Probably gonna hold off preordering it though until closer to launch to see what the devs come out and say after the beta and try to get an idea how old the beta is and how much work has gone in since. Id imagine (and hope) it could be an old beta that they held off on releasing with everything going with covid and its a lot more polished by now.

Played about 10 fights there, first impressions are just horrible not impressed at all. After 1 fight i switched to legacy and changed the camera to classic..the new control system is garbage. 2 years pretty much to get this at the end of it is awful. I know its a beta but the stuff that needs fixing is part of the new gameplay and wont be changed.

Small tweaks to graphics and animations, ruined the controls to the point you have to swap to legacy and in general nothing in the beta that shows a huge leap or improvement. Granted its only the only mode and one weight division but thats enough to see the core gameplay and if that doesnt feel good then Its kind of irrelevant how much career is improved or the different modes.

If I buy it then its purely for the love of mma and the pick up and play factor but based on the beta I certainly wouldnt be rushing to pre order it.

Played it a good bit more and the impression hasnt gotten any better. Takes forever to get past the end of a fight, then the menu appears on top of everything which stops you requesting a rematch..you have to leave the menu then hold triangle to rematch, it should be quick and simple to do...awful ux. Ground and pound and grappling seems broken even in legacy mode...like really broken. Fighters just raining down punches and nothing you do is able to counter it. Submissions also broken, shape for the defending fighter is way too big, you literally cant escape or avoid the sub, way too easy for the attacking fighter. Overall probably on a 6/10 at this stage.

I was tempted to cancel preorder but as this combined my 2 favourite things (games and mma), I'm just gonna plough through and hope the finished product is better.

I read that with submissions, the faster you move, the bigger your colour gets, making it easier to be subbed. Slow, steady movements make it smaller but any time i used or, was just a hectic mess. What it needs is a good write up by dev or game changer on how the mechanics work and what will be fixed.

Martial Mind (GC) has said he just can't get hyped for this between things he wanted removed and things he didn't want added. Apparently a few things where all game changers agreed on something and devs went against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Played a few games today and i'm not impressed.

Going to need to learn the ground game more as i'm just getting destroyed
    with punches and cant seem to defend anything.

The stand up hasn't changed too much but i feel like its lost some fluidity or that could just be me not knowing all the controls yet.

Had 1 online fight, other guy was good, nice back and forth until he took me down. I was in half guard and he postured up. I was blocking punches and then tried to escape but like last night with Marty, i had no transition directions pop up so i tried to block again but he wouldn't block either, just ate open shots until ko'd . The worse part is, i don't know if it's a glitch or part of the new ground game to allow people get in strikes. He messages me ' Well Played'. The message button is cool but needs things like '**** off'.

As for the player card that I previously ragged on, it's kinda cool. You can purchase famous quotes (you get a ton of coins from playing the previous games) and i have Chael's " You absolutely Suck!" when i play against someone now. There is one legendary quote you can't buy...."BOOM... Roasted!" :pac:

Only noticed the customisation options last night, you can change your profile picture, player card background and add a flair too as Zero just pointed out. “Send me location” is the best 2000 coins I’ll ever spend on anything. :D

Also there’s a cake and chicken background, DC would be thrilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

The ground and Pound is actually terrible.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    The ground and Pound is actually terrible.

I'm hoping it's just broken in the beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Anyone get a beta code for PS4? I applied when the link was posted in here but haven’t received anything in my email.

• Advertisement

clsmooth wrote: »
    Anyone get a beta code for PS4? I applied when the link was posted in here but haven’t received anything in my email.

Yupp, few of us got it yesterday, did you check your spam?

clsmooth wrote: »

If you applied on time etc then get on to EA Help on twitter if its no in your spam/junk mail. I am ps4 but received an xbox code..got on to their chat support and was a waste of time, told they were aware of the issue and keep an eye on social media for an update..eventually got a reply on twitter and the lad verified I was on the beta list and just gave me a code.

Just countered an opponent’s guillotine into a Von Flue choke and got the win. That was great to see, finally a positive in the ground game.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Just countered an opponent’s guillotine into a Von Flue choke and got the win. That was great to see, finally a positive in the ground game.

Who did you use for that? Was it L2 and R2 to counter?

Who did you use for that? Was it L2 and R2 to counter?

Usman I think. It was during the opponent’s submission, there was a prompt to counter. Really cool transition.

Saw the option during a fight last night, think it was as simple as just pressing X?

I saw prompts as well but they were so fast, i couldn't even tell you what symbol they were. Must depend on sub skill and stamina.

I saw a leak that LW fighters might be added to beta, someone's character select screen glitched and he could pick khabib, poirier, etc but they wouldn't load.

I saw prompts as well but they were so fast, i couldn't even tell you what symbol they were. Must depend on sub skill and stamina.

I saw a leak that LW fighters might be added to beta, someone's character select screen glitched and he could pick khabib, poirier, etc but they wouldn't load.

Makes sense because one of my daily objectives is to win 5 LW fights, unless EA are just trolling.

I'm on if anyone fancies a few scraps.

• Advertisement

I'm on if anyone fancies a few scraps.

Yep just on now

Advertisement