Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Promising Young Woman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

The texts had "scheduled" written on them.

Hmmm, I didn't spot that. I presumed
    it was part of what the lawyer had to do. That does sort of make the ending worse now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

The texts had "scheduled" written on them.
    On reflection, I thought the whole idea is daft.
    Why not do the straightforward thing - go to the police with the video of the rape. Instead, she decides that; no,a better idea would be to go to a cabin full of fellows,and shure if I die,I die. so be it.
    Did she not mean to get killed? That was my thinking.... found a guy she final liked and he was the same as the rest. That plus she probably thought they would have got away with the rape so she ensure they had murder to tie them to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Did she not mean to get killed? That was my thinking.... found a guy she final liked and he was the same as the rest. That plus she probably thought they would have got away with the rape so she ensure they had murder to tie them to

I got the impression it didn’t matter either way to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I was really enjoying this movie and it was veering quickly towards being a fantastic movie
    I said it at the very start when she was doing the whole honey trap thing that this is really dangerous and she could very easily end up getting hurt what I didn't know was how prophetic my words would be , from the minute allison brie shows her that video the movie goes massively downhill , from the whole not sharing out the video straight away to then more or less committing suicide by going to a tavern with 12 lads some of who may or may not been involved with the nina thing along with the groom , and then the fella who was she was seeing who seemed pretty decent totally lying to the cops when they asking about her in the process totally destroying any character development that he might actually be a decent fella and in fact just an idiot in college

I absolutely hated that there was no closure at all , she died for nothing and yes the dude got arrested but with 11 other guys and the fact that they got away with gang rape in the past i'm sure they'd all back each other again and plead accidental death or something alone those lines , usually when a film is poor it doesn't bother me , but here I am still annoyed about 24 hours later

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Where can I legit rent this?
    It’s not on sky store?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Addle wrote: »
    Where can I legit rent this?
    It’s not on sky store?
    Not sure things seem to point to an Amazon prime release?

Could this be nominated for an Oscar or golden globe?
    I think it could

I think it could
    If cinema were open this movie would have done serious business ... I just thought it was really clever ... sure certain things could have be faulted but overall it seriously delivered

I wouldn’t say Oscar level

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Used in a good few movie .... lost in translation is one

Also loved the tune from the magnificent Night Of The Hunter and how it was used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiBMDIXyH_4

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Used in a good few movie .... lost in translation is one

It wouldn't have been out of place on Lost in Translation's shoegaze/dream pop soundtrack but the band and song didn't exist when the film came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

Fairly sure this movie was meant to be released here this weekend or last, based on what Carey Mulligan said on Graham Norton in January?

Now there’s no sign of any UK or Ireland release date. Seriously annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Shelga wrote: »
    Fairly sure this movie was meant to be released here this weekend or last, based on what Carey Mulligan said on Graham Norton in January?

Now there’s no sign of any UK or Ireland release date. Seriously annoying.

I read mid march somewhere. It can be rented on Amazon Prime in the US, but not here yet

• Registered Users Posts: 84,842 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think it could

Carey seems to be getting nominations and wins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

I watched it last night. Was fully prepared to pay €10+ to rent it but there is no sign of it coming out any time soon, not even a release date. Really weird considering Carey Mulligan was doing UK promotion for it 2 months ago now. So I found... eh, alternative means :P

Anyway, I thought it was really fantastic- gripping and very original, and really made me think. One of the best movies I've seen in a while. However,
    I'm trying to get on board with that ending but I just can't. I get that Emerald Fennell probably thought a more positive ending for our protagonist would be a lie, but seeing women get murdered on screen is just quite disturbing, not to mention overdone. That suffocation scene was really uncomfortable viewing. I know it's meant to be, but I dunno- what was the point of it all? Would Nina have wanted this outcome? Cassie was destroyed by her anger. Very interesting to think about, but also really depressing :(

Also should come with a trigger warning regarding the ending. Anyone who has experienced any kind of assault or trauma would find the scene with Al extremely upsetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,842 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sky Cinema and NOW have confirmed that the film will premiere in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

gmisk wrote: »
    Just finished watching this....it is really excellent.
    So well directed, extremely stylish intense and thought provoking.
    the montage to the Paris Hilton song is a bit bizarre though...that ending will definitely divide people but I loved it
    Great cast, even in the smaller roles, Carey Mulligan is brilliant in it, really great to see her in something totally different.
    I think the Paris Hilton song inclusion was a nod and a wink to romantic comedy silly we're dorks in love moments, it was telling us 'hey look everything is going to be okay now' we've switched genre. I think it lolls you into a false sense of security.

I watched it last night. Sad to read the initial comments on this thread expressing the 'not metoo' comments, as this is kind of what the film is addressing, you are supposed to feel uncomfortable watching it as there are kernels of truth there but I found those comments ironic, rushing in to censor and try to colour the perceptions of others about a film which they haven't watched. Very sad indeed.
    In reality, I have heard guys say 'it was just a joke', I have seen comments degenerate from 'nice guy' to 'well you're a bitch anyway' kind of comments.
    I have been followed home from the pub whilst drunk by two people who I barely spoke to in the pub, thankfully my friend pushed me into a taxi and prevented one of the men from grabbing the handle and following me in. I have heard of drunk women being preyed on. Even thinking about it now is scary.

I have read about these parties where this kind of rape has happened. We've all read about the case in North Kerry where people queued up to shake the hand of the guy who was tried and successfully convicted of sexual assault on a young woman CCTV footage showed him carrying her to the skip area.
    The film was well executed in portraying a woman whose life has gone off course because of her past and how she is performing a gestalt in order to resolve that.

Edit: It's very clever the way it holds up a glass darkly, 'What are you doing?', there's a lot of humour in there and it changes pace a few times and is as unpredictable as the main character. Carey Mulligan is excellent. I enjoyed it, I'm still thinking about some of the scenes now.

It's very like 'Get out' and 'Parasite' in the way that there is this normal reality and yet a surface tension and something lurking darkly beneath. Very thought provoking.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I watched it last night. Sad to read the initial comments on this thread expressing the 'not metoo' comments, as this is kind of what the film is addressing, you are supposed to feel uncomfortable watching it as there are kernels of truth there but I found those comments ironic, rushing in to censor and try to colour the perceptions of others about a film which they haven't watched. Very sad indeed.

In reality, I have heard guys say 'it was just a joke', I have seen comments degenerate from 'nice guy' to 'well you're a bitch anyway' kind of comments.
    I have been followed home from the pub whilst drunk by two people who I barely spoke to in the pub, thankfully my friend pushed me into a taxi and prevented one of the men from grabbing the handle and following me in. I have heard of drunk women being preyed on. Even thinking about it now is scary.

I have read about these parties where this kind of rape has happened. We've all read about the case in North Kerry where people queued up to shake the hand of the guy who was tried and successfully convicted of sexual assault on a young woman CCTV footage showed him carrying her to the skip area.

The film was well executed in portraying a woman whose life has gone off course because of her past and how she is performing a gestalt in order to resolve that.
    What do mean “not metoo “ comments?

What do mean “not metoo “ comments?

Comments by Homelander and OutlawPete on the first page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Just watched this. I must admit, the trailer made it look like a preachy movie at first. Like an extreme feminist's version of one of those terrible Christian movies that Americans love so much.

What triggered me to watch it was a "debate" that had been going on in the lads Whats App group. You know when you're in After Hours and someone says "Well, a woman grabbed my ar*e once, so men get sexually assaulted too" and think that that's an excuse to ignore the fact that women have concerns about how the general public view female victims of rape and sexual assault? One of those conversations.

I'll be honest, I felt incredibly uncomfortable watching it. The "she's asking for it" comments, the attempted date-rapes, the attitudes towards drunk women, the attitudes towards alleged victims of sexual crimes, the victim blaming, the "well, if someone gets that drunk"......

The thing about this movie is that I went in with the expectation I mentioned above, but every 5 minutes I was hit with the realisation that I have heard all of these things in real life. I've seen people try to prey on drunk girls, I've heard the "well, if you get that drunk" stuff. I've heard the "well, she must have been asking for it" comments and this movie made me feel almost ill for a lot of the runtime. Those who watch this and deny that what the movie describes aren't real issues, or who would minimise them because of some weird anti-feminist rubbish are probably the ones being described in the movie.

This is an incredible movie, with an amazing central performance. Highly recommended!

i really enjoyed and i had such little faith in mankind i thought it would be slated but good to see all the positive reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭Homelander

People made comments based on a trailer, in fact I later posted in this thread (on the next page in fact) to say I was completely wrong and it's an astoundingly accomplished film.

"Rushing in to censor and try to colour the perceptions of others about a film which they haven't watched. Very sad indeed."

You mean, people having an opinion based on a two minute trailer? In my case it was a simple observation that was proved wrong, again, admitted on the very next page having watched the movie.

You seem to want to apply the knowledge gained from watching the film to observations made long before the film was even released.

In fact, what you're actually saying is people shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion on a film a trailer. Does that apply to just this film given the subject matter?

Looks terrible. Looks great. Looks like a cash grab. Looks derivative. Looks very exploitative. Looks whatever. Things people say in reaction to all kinds of trailers, every minute of every day.

No-one can actually know their own truth until the final product is watched, but they absolutely are allowed to have an opinion on information, teasers or trailers they've seen up to that point.

Afterwards they can assess if they were right or wrong, or argue the point with others.

The big problem here is you're contrasting an opinion having watched the film, to comments made by people who had only seen a brief trailer long before the film was available - that is really zero representation of the quality of the finished product.

Homelander wrote: »
    People made comments based on a trailer, in fact I later posted in this thread (on the next page in fact) to say I was completely wrong and it's an astoundingly accomplished film.

"Rushing in to censor and try to colour the perceptions of others about a film which they haven't watched. Very sad indeed."

You mean, people having an opinion based on a two minute trailer? In my case it was a simple observation that was proved wrong, again, admitted on the very next page having watched the movie.

You seem to want to apply the knowledge gained from watching the film to observations made long before the film was even released.

In fact, what you're actually saying is people shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion on a film a trailer. Does that apply to just this film given the subject matter?

Looks terrible. Looks great. Looks like a cash grab. Looks derivative. Looks very exploitative. Looks whatever. Things people say in reaction to all kinds of trailers, every minute of every day.

No-one can actually know their own truth until the final product is watched, but they absolutely are allowed to have an opinion on information, teasers or trailers they've seen up to that point.

Afterwards they can assess if they were right or wrong, or argue the point with others.

The big problem here is you're contrasting an opinion having watched the film, to comments made by people who had only seen a brief trailer long before the film was available - that is really zero representation of the quality of the finished product.

It was your disparagement of the 'me too' movement that I was pointing to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭Homelander

Maybe that's what you read into it but I said the trailer looked like an exploitation #metoo film in that, it looked to be possibly exploiting the social climate, and didn't particularly look like a movie of substance. I was making zero political comment on #metoo.

As I said on the very next page having watched it I was completely wrong, but there are any amount of films made over the years that are ruthlessly exploitative of movements, themes and concepts across all walks of life.

The core concept of Promising Young Woman is no different to dozens of high profile films over the years, but the execution and craft is what sets it apart from most others.

For every Promising Young Woman there's countless versions of I Spit on Your Grave or Baise Moi. And a trailer is rarely going to give an accurate depiction of what the final product will be, in the mean-time we can only speculate until proven right either way.

Maybe that's what you read into it but I said the trailer looked like an exploitation #metoo film in that, it looked to be possibly exploiting the social climate, and didn't particularly look like a movie of substance. I was making zero political comment on #metoo.

As I said on the very next page having watched it I was completely wrong, but there are any amount of films made over the years that are ruthlessly exploitative of movements, themes and concepts across all walks of life.

The core concept of Promising Young Woman is no different to dozens of high profile films over the years, but the execution and craft is what sets it apart from most others.

For every Promising Young Woman there's countless versions of I Spit on Your Grave or Baise Moi. And a trailer is rarely going to give an accurate depiction of what the final product will be, in the mean-time we can only speculate until proven right either way.
    No it didn’t, but I understand totally if people were ready to assume that

Okay fair enough. Yeah the writer said she wanted to make the film entertaining, for everybody and not to make it too didactic the purpose being to make people think about some of the issues in the film without being preached to. In that way it's very successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Okay fair enough. Yeah the writer said she wanted to make the film entertaining, for everybody and not to make it too didactic the purpose being to make people think about some of the issues in the film without being preached to. In that way it's very successful.

I thought it was a huge success in this regard!

I loved the film, it made it's points so strongly but also very creatively. I felt it really packed a punch and months afterwards I'm still thinking about it. I struggled with the ending at first ,over time some elements now seem fitting but others still jar.
    In response to questions of why she didn't go to police as any of us would do, I think the story acr dealt with that. It relied on repeated illustrations of why Mulligans character had no faith in authority to be the arbiter of justice. She saw a female college principal prepared to turn a blind eye to a gang rape, a legal system willing not only to defend a perpetrator but persecute a victim further, to blame them instead of her attacker. It made some sense that she felt justice was only safe in her hands.
    I don't think she wanted revenge ultimately, she wanted justice, acknowledgement of the wrong done to her friend. She showed that in the scene with the lawyer. She didn't want to kill the rapist, she wanted to show him how it felt to be overpowered, violated and afraid, and to make him also bare the scars of what he did, as she did, the scars her friend died of. It was crazy but it wasn't blood lust exactly.

She could've shared the video on social media but maybe she felt that she was going to be putting the reputation of her friend out there to be savaged too.

The ending left me shaken. The murder scene was very disturbing but overall it made it's points too, one being that between the physicality of a man and a woman there's rarely a fair fight. In reality her quest for justice would've ended in a burning pile along with her body in that field and he'd have walked away.

I wasn't sure if the movie was stronger or weaker for having added the Holywood treatment to the last few minutes with the police riding in. I guess it wrapped the whole package in a more palatable upbeat bow however unrealitic.Without that it probably had no chance getting a large audience. For me that sacrificed some of the films stronger points about the lack of justice for female victims. In truth very often those who perpetrate these crimes, particularly the middle class ones from "good families" go on to powerful careers and leave these things behind as a sort of teen prank that got out of hand. Waitresses with a bone to pick do not get in their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Released on sky and now tv on the 16th, finally!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Loved this film but as I mentioned in the recently watched thread, and others noting here, the ending will be divisive.
    I was shocked as it unfolded and thought somehow she was about to fight back successfully. It was a shock for sure to see it unfold. A real gut punch. I'm glad they didn't go with the director's original ending where they cut to black after her body is burned.
    I wasn't sure how I felt about it all and whether it was the right ending.
    However I did remember the bit where she threw away her license plate into the bush, which I thought odd at the time, but now goes to show that in advance we were subtly shown that she knew going in that she may not get out.
    I thought the opposite, I think she threw away the licence plate because she expected to get out and did not want to be recognised or have evidence that she had been there. If she'd really thought she might be murdered she'd have left it so someone might search for her near by.

Advertisement