Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

All 3 have won titles at Mania now as well.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Sheamus is a certified Hall of Famer when he eventually retires. That's a jaw dropping list of achievements.

Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

He just needs an IC belt for the clean sweep of everything there is to win in the WWE. Crazy. They'll surely give him a run with it before he retires.

Wrestlemania went off the air to Becky asking "Where's my Ma?"

https://i.redd.it/ipr1qsysbar21.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

J. Marston wrote: »
    He just needs an IC belt for the clean sweep of everything there is to win in the WWE. Crazy. They'll surely give him a run with it before he retires.

Wrestlemania went off the air to Becky asking "Where's my Ma?"

https://i.redd.it/ipr1qsysbar21.gif
    That was as Irish as you can get from Becky. And I loved it. Also there have been edits to the very end of Wrestlemania 35 on the wwe network. It’s when Becky is in the ring after winning. In the live version(which stays up for a good while after a PPV btw) you can hear fireworks going off as Becky is in the ring. All they have done is added shots of the fireworks from outside the stadium. If they done it this way live it would’ve been better IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

I always felt Sheamus should be a top guy. He's got a mischievous side to him that's likeable, and I don't get embarrassed when listening to his promos, unlike Becky and Finn. He doesn't come across like he's just playing a tough guy. That's partly due to the fact that he's massive, and it is easy to believe.

Finn is boring. I just don't get it.

The wheels seem to have fallen off Becky already. She's just another character on the show now. That is all down to the ridiculous booking before Mania and the stupid finish at Mania itself. I thought Mania was supposed to be her Austin at Mania 14 moment?

Give Sheamus another run. He's a true talent. Seems the smart fans turned on him after he was revealed to be Triple H's work out buddy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

sirmanga wrote: »
    I always felt Sheamus should be a top guy. He's got a mischievous side to him that's likeable, and I don't get embarrassed when listening to his promos, unlike Becky and Finn. He doesn't come across like he's just playing a tough guy. That's partly due to the fact that he's massive, and it is easy to believe.

Finn is boring. I just don't get it.

The wheels seem to have fallen off Becky already. She's just another character on the show now. That is all down to the ridiculous booking before Mania and the stupid finish at Mania itself. I thought Mania was supposed to be her Austin at Mania 14 moment?

Give Sheamus another run. He's a true talent. Seems the smart fans turned on him after he was revealed to be Triple H's work out buddy.

Is the issue with Sheamus not moreso injury related nowadays? He's clearly still highly thought of, featuring pretty strongly most weeks.

I'd love him to have another run myself but I think I remember reading that he had neck issues a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Sheamus has spinal stenosis which is what made edge retire so i think hes on borrowed time as a wrestler which i think why hes started his youtube while also getting in insane shape. id say the tag team is easier for his body to take then a singles run

Necro wrote: »
    Is the issue with Sheamus not moreso injury related nowadays? He's clearly still highly thought of, featuring pretty strongly most weeks.

I'd love him to have another run myself but I think I remember reading that he had neck issues a while back.

Yeah there was something about that. But surely it couldn't be that bad or he wouldn't be wrestling at all. They wouldn't allow him to.

I just find him infinitely more enjoyable than Finn and Becky. He speaks with his regular Dub accent, whereas Becky sounds so unnatural. She tries to Americanise her accent and it sounds ridiculous. Saying "duty" the American way (Doody) instead of the Irish way (Juty) and other such words makes her sound like a wally. And I don't believe for a second that she is a hard nut, every time she talks I know she is acting. And that's not suppose to happen.

As for Balor... Quite frankly, he's rubbish. He's tiny, he can't do promos, and when he's the Demon there's no difference to when he's Balor. Just his paint and his cringeworthy hissing.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭dusty bin

Yeah there was something about that. But surely it couldn't be that bad or he wouldn't be wrestling at all. They wouldn't allow him to.

I just find him infinitely more enjoyable than Finn and Becky. He speaks with his regular Dub accent, whereas Becky sounds so unnatural. She tries to Americanise her accent and it sounds ridiculous. Saying "duty" the American way (Doody) instead of the Irish way (Juty) and other such words makes her sound like a wally. And I don't believe for a second that she is a hard nut, every time she talks I know she is acting. And that's not suppose to happen.

As for Balor... Quite frankly, he's rubbish. He's tiny, he can't do promos, and when he's the Demon there's no difference to when he's Balor. Just his paint and his cringeworthy hissing.

Jaysus, I'm shocked you feel that way about Becky. Oh wait, 90% of your comments since the start of the year have been nothing but putting Becky down.....Silly me for being shocked. My bad.

dusty bin wrote: »
    Jaysus, I'm shocked you feel that way about Becky. Oh wait, 90% of your comments since the start of the year have been nothing but putting Becky down.....Silly me for being shocked. My bad.

That's another thing. Fans are super touchy if you say you don't like Becky.

• Advertisement

That's another thing. Fans are super touchy if you say you don't like Becky.

:rolleyes:

sirmanga wrote:

Balor is a funny one. You can see how amazingly talented in the ring he is but he just seems to be there if you get what I mean.
    Outside of the regular 'me bad, you good, we fight' formula that WWE follow pretty much verbatim for undercard feuds they don't give them anything to work with.

Balors character currently is a smiley collar flicker, with no depth whatsoever. So yeah hes bland at the moment.

So are 90% of the faces in the company as this stupid formula is followed and faces aren't permitted to express themselves at all.

They just cant book faces. As you say re: Becky, they've butchered her character since turning her face. Same issues essentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'd say they gave her elocution lessons down in Florida. Her accent certainly changed.

The thing is though I still find her difficult to comprehend (and I'm Irish), she has a tendency to mumble. Americans must be completely lost at times.

I don't understand how some think they've butchered Becky's character as a face.

It's rare they have a face get big cheers for almost a year, they must be doing something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I don't understand how some think they've butchered Becky's character as a face.

It's rare they have a face get big cheers for almost a year, they must be doing something right.

Becky turned cool heel! Slagging the crowd etc. 6 months later shes thanking the fans, crying and asking for her ma.

I mean she's popular, don't get me wrong. But they absolutely ruined the main event storyline with horrendous booking and imo damaged her 'The Man' persona by having her...

Apologise to Steph and Trips - then get slapped down by Vince who suspends her irregardless.
    Limp around the place like a gimp for almost two months - with virtually no payoff to that where it essentially didn't even factor in the actual match.

It's still popular as is evident, but could be so much better than what they've presented since that night after the Rumble where the real big fight feel came from her and Ronda across the ring from each other.

From that to now I feel it's been a gradual downward trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

I know im in a tiny minority but ive no interest in Becky or Kofi as champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Unlike Balor or Sheamus though Lynch has cut promos in her career that got the crowd invested more invested in her character.
    My main criticism of Lynch now is since she won the title its like she doesn't know what to say. Rousey isn't around so Ronnie is out, she's feuded with Charlotte for 6 months so that's not fresh; so her this part of her story has ended. The prospect of a match with Lacey Evans is grim
    That is the same with Kofi and to a lesser extend Rollins. One had an unexpected journey to the promise land; the other wanted to beat the part time guy so we can have a full time champion; the only guy who was lined up to face Seth lost to Reigns at Mania. (in hindsight Drew beating Kurt in his retirement match and Roman going over Corbin was the way to go).

Title's in the WWE mean very little tho, case in point was the Hardy's beating the Uso's for the Smackdown Live tag titles(which were defended on the main show last Sunday) then Lars comes out and crushes them. Because he couldn't do that to someone else...... :confused:

Necro wrote: »
    I mean she's popular, don't get me wrong. But they absolutely ruined the main event storyline with horrendous booking and imo damaged her 'The Man' persona by having her...

Apologise to Steph and Trips - then get slapped down by Vince who suspends her irregardless.
    Limp around the place like a gimp for almost two months - with virtually no payoff to that where it essentially didn't even factor in the actual match.

It's still popular as is evident, but could be so much better than what they've presented since that night after the Rumble where the real big fight feel came from her and Ronda across the ring from each other.

From that to now I feel it's been a gradual downward trend.

no issue with that. We all said it. It should have been Becky v Ronda, 1 on 1. wwe hadnt a clue how to stretch it out between January till now. And by adding in Charlotte, they actually ruined the rest of the womens division (asuka etc).

But the end result that mattered was her beating Ronda (even if they made a hames of the finish) and holding the title to close the show. 35 wrestlemanias, and not many can actually say they closed the show with a victory. A victory that left the majority of fans that were there happy, albeit knackered tired from a 7 hour show.

The smark love affair with Becky will soon come to an end.
    Just look at the hostile smart fan reaction to The Bar interfering in the Raw main event. It wasn't that long ago that Cesaro was the darling of the international/Raw After Mania crowd.

They'll soon get bored of Becky. It's already begun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

I like the Bar tho..also is it mad that I like the Iconics?I mean normally a team like them would drive me crazy but I just find them funny.

nannerby wrote: »
    I like the Bar tho..also is it mad that I like the Iconics?I mean normally a team like them would drive me crazy but I just find them funny.
    IIconics are great fun. Says a lot that they've entertained me more with the titles in two days than Sasha/Bayley did in two months.
    Just look at the hostile smart fan reaction to The Bar interfering in the Raw main event. It wasn't that long ago that Cesaro was the darling of the international/Raw After Mania crowd.

People have been saying that since last year. If people keep saying it they'll eventually be right. Broken clocks and all.

And it was pretty long ago for Cesaro, it must be 4-5 years at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Just look at the hostile smart fan reaction to The Bar interfering in the Raw main event.

Yeah you’d almost swear they were heels ruining a champion vs champion main event wouldnt you......

The bar jobbed out and lost the titles to a 10 year old last year. They jobbed out and lost another title to 49 year old shane mcmahon and the miz. They've lost to kofi in a gauntlet and the new day in another one in recent weeks. I think the fans honestly expected a surprise of some sort on the raw after mania (someone new, someone fresh) rather than see a stale act break up a possible unification match. The bar have fallen very far. (and i like the two of them, together and seperately. Sure big bad Braun was booed on smackdown against Joe.

You are right that fans will probably be sick of becky eventually, (especially if shes the only one showing up on both shows every night) but your kidding yourself if you think its already begun. Its only two days since the end of the 'season'. She still gets the clicks, still gets the chants and apparently making money for the company. Shes not the best female wrestler by a mile, but at the moment, there's no one more popular.

IIconics are great fun. Says a lot that they've entertained me more with the titles in two days than Sasha/Bayley did in two months.

They are very funny. I hope they get a good run.

Yeah you’d almost swear they were heels ruining a champion vs champion main event wouldnt you......

No, that's not why the smarks hated it. If their beloved Undisputed Era interfered they would all have creamed themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

ERG89 wrote: »
    Unlike Balor or Sheamus though Lynch has cut promos in her career that got the crowd invested more invested in her character.
    My main criticism of Lynch now is since she won the title its like she doesn't know what to say. Rousey isn't around so Ronnie is out, she's feuded with Charlotte for 6 months so that's not fresh; so her this part of her story has ended. The prospect of a match with Lacey Evans is grim
    That is the same with Kofi and to a lesser extend Rollins. One had an unexpected journey to the promise land; the other wanted to beat the part time guy so we can have a full time champion; the only guy who was lined up to face Seth lost to Reigns at Mania. (in hindsight Drew beating Kurt in his retirement match and Roman going over Corbin was the way to go).

All of these things happened 3 days, less than 72 hours as I write, ago. How do you have a criticism of their reigns based off one week of TV??! Or did you decide weeks ago that this was going to be your opinion whatever happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

No, that's not why the smarks hated it. If their beloved Undisputed Era interfered they would all have creamed themselves.

Fans cheer different people at different times big whup

WWE didn't want interference that would get smarky cheers, they wanted heels to ruin it and thats what they got

dusty bin wrote: »
    They are very funny. I hope they get a good run.

They must be exhausting to interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

leggo wrote: »
    All of these things happened 3 days, less than 72 hours as I write, ago. How do you have a criticism of their reigns based off one week of TV??! Or did you decide weeks ago that this was going to be your opinion whatever happened?

Because I have watched WWE TV for long enough to know that after these title wins they often have no clue what to do next. Longevity is a big weakness after they do their "WrestleMania moments".

This kinda highlights the lack of care and long term booking

https://www.pwinsider.com/article/125606/wwe-is-looking-for-help-with-storyline-continuity-.html?p=1

Advertisement