Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE Radio 1: Late Debate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

RTE Radio 1's Late debate (normally Tues-Thurs 10-11pm) has been off air for weeks, even though political life is proceeding normally.

Does anyone know what is going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Not sure.I thought it should have been on last night as well.I have to say I was not impressed when they appointed Claire Byrne as a presenter. She is a complete lightweight. However she has hit the jackpot now having got in to RTE which seems to be the ambition of anyone in the media these days.
    There are some talented people out there yet people with high profiles seem to get the jobs. Claire is more suited to day time TV,NOT the Late Debate.
    In answer to the question maybe it's just RTE holidays,they do take a lot of time off.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭bureau2009

I thought it should have been on last night as well.

I have to say I was not impressed when they appointed Claire Byrne as a presenter.

She is a complete lightweight.

However she has hit the jackpot now having got in to RTE which seems to be the ambition of anyone in the media these days.
    There are some talented people out there yet people with high profiles seem to get the jobs.

Claire is more suited to day time TV,NOT the Late Debate.

In answer to the question maybe it's just RTE holidays,they do take a lot of time off.

I couldn't agree more. Claire Byrne has greatly diminished the Late Debate slot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

They are taking a month off. If you were a regular listener, you'd be aware of this :)

I am a regular listener. When did they tell us listeners this, and what reason did they give?

• Advertisement

I am a regular listener. When did they tell us listeners this, and what reason did they give?

On the last show three odd weeks ago, there was an easter break.. it's due back next week

They seem to have given themselves a stunningly generous Easter break. It looks pretty inexcusable to me.

They seem to have given themselves a stunningly generous Easter break. It looks pretty inexcusable to me.

Quiet!! Just keep paying your licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I'm a regular listener and never heard it either.

Clare Byrne is not suited to the job.

Vinnie/Rachel/Cormac O'Hura:D way way better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

me three.

though since claires taken over i have missed the odd episode as she does my head in.

now im stuck with that twonk coleman to take up the slack.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

I'm a regular listener and never heard it either.

Clare Byrne is not suited to the job.

Vinnie/Rachel/Cormac O'Hura:D way way better.

Fully agree, he was like a dog with a bone, compared (if I can continue with the k9 theme) to the normal RTE poodles.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Cormac was the man .Got shafted for asking the right questions .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

this was great listening back in the day with vincent and more recently rachel and cormac. Sadly now on a downward spiral thanks to parachute clare . Stick to the afternoon fluff with the kerry man and cocaine gerrys young one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ElfinGrot

Its back!

Tonight on RTE Radio One from 10pm...with a new presenter. She's Audrey Carville, from Castleblayney in Co Monaghan....former presenter of "Europe Today" on BBC World Service.

She's very good.

Claire who?!

thanks for that! Should be worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

ElfinGrot wrote: »
    Its back!

Tonight on RTE Radio One from 10pm...with a new presenter. She's Audrey Carville, from Castleblayney in Co Monaghan....former presenter of "Europe Today" on BBC World Service.

She's very good.

Claire who?!

She was on with Sam Smyth on Today FM last Sunday.

Heard her today on the promo.

Will be tuned in, she sounds like a yoke who won't take prisoners.

I heard some but not all of the programme last night. I heard no explanation of the long Easter gap.

That Carville woman was lightweight. Myles Dungan more or less co-hosted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Wow, they didnt give Claire Byrne long did they... another baffling decision from RTE to give her the job in the first place.. I mean they knew that Claire Byrne wasnt great at the political stuff.. She's more of a pleasant, pretty face for lightweight television shows like The Daily Show...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Wow, they didnt give Claire Byrne long did they... another baffling decision from RTE to give her the job in the first place.. I mean they knew that Claire Byrne wasnt great at the political stuff.. She's more of a pleasant, pretty face for lightweight television shows like The Daily Show...

I bet she spends half her time beating Daithi's hand away from her thighs underneath that desk. Whenever, i see her on it, she looks rather uncomfortable. She probably thinks she's too good for this type of fluff.

Sorry Claire, you've struck out at least twice now on the current affairs format (not counting her reading the news). You'll have to put up with Daithi's creepy, lecherous ways a while longer I'm afraid.

Was she not given the gig just for election season? Thought someone said that on here at the time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

telekon wrote: »
    I bet she spends half her time beating Daithi's hand away from her thighs underneath that desk. Whenever, i see her on it, she looks rather uncomfortable. She probably thinks she's too good for this type of fluff.

Sorry Claire, you've struck out at least twice now on the current affairs format (not counting her reading the news). You'll have to put up with Daithi's creepy, lecherous ways a while longer I'm afraid.

Was she not given the gig just for election season? Thought someone said that on here at the time...

She was brutal on Newstalk breakfast bet Ivan was delighted to get shot of her

Heard that idiot Flanagan on 'The late Debate' tonight.

Negativity exuding from every pore.

Carville not over impressive either... bit early to judge yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 patrick minford

no audrey carville is crap. she is a know all and constantly interrupting her guests. bring back cormac o hara. nobody could do a better job than him

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Carville's no way as bad as Byrne. Surely something like "Off the Rails" or the Travel show would be more suitable for her.

Red Alert wrote: »
    Carville's no way as bad as Byrne. Surely something like "Off the Rails" or the Travel show would be more suitable for her.

I think Claire Byrne is ideally suited to..................working as a nail technician perhaps??

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bobba Fett

Delighted to see Cormac O Hara back on The Late Debate. He's by far the best of the last few presenters.

Back last night.
    It would appear Clare Byrne has mooched her way back into the hot seat.
    What the hell is she doing there??
    Has she friends in high places??
    Very interesting times right now in political circles and RTE give us Clare.
    anybody know where Cormac is?

This Summer, RTE Radio 1 are again failing to honour the programme's remit to discuss politics during weeks when the Oireachtas is sitting.

I have just sent in the following complaint to RTE:

RTE Radio 1’s Late Debate programme is supposed to be broadcast during all weeks of sittings of the Oireachtas. The Oireachtas has been sitting this week, yet there is no sign of the Late debate; I suspect that if you are allowed to, you will not be putting it on again until the Autumn.

The absence of this programme for much of the year means that there is not an acceptable level of political discussion on RTE radio at night. Also, the replacement of late debate by repeats of other programmes shows that RTE radio have no idea how else to fill the 10-11PM time slot.

I therefore ask that you undertake to run the Late debate during all weeks in which the Oireachtas sits. If you are not going to do this, I demand a full and prompt explanation as to why.

Be careful what you wish for!

I have to leave the room when Claire Byrne is on the radio!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

bureau2009 wrote: »
    I have to leave the room when Claire Byrne is on the radio!

To be fair to her, she has improved a lot from when she and Yates did the early morning NT slot. She fills in now on MI. Still room for improvement, I grant you.

Advertisement