Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Golf waterproofs

Options
  • 02-08-2017 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all , does any one have any recommendations for good golf water proofs trousers and jacket ?

I've been looking at the Sunderland of scotland range in mcguirkes seems to be reasonably priced, anyone any information on this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Not sure of those brands but don't buy cheap gear. I made that mistake before and eventually bought decent stuff and they're worth every cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Surely rain experts such as Gore-tex, event, etc, have made it into the golfing world? Great products but expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kbrady1990

Not sure of those brands but don't buy cheap gear. I made that mistake before and eventually bought decent stuff and they're worth every cent.

I've done the same self bought cheap gear and may aswell not had rain gear on the course , is galvin green the best option out there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

I bought Sunderland trousers last year and find them excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

If budget allows, get Galvin Green
    Best by a mile but expensive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

After my Ping gear let me down badly one torrential day, I invested in Galvin Green gear - worth every penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

In my view adidas gortex gear (from previous seasons) is where the best value is.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

I have Sunice Gore-tex. never lets in a drop of rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Proquip tourflex do the job also.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

RoadRunner wrote:
    In my view adidas gortex gear (from previous seasons) is where the best value is.

Gore Tex isn't a clothing brand. Its a process for treating fabric to make it waterproof. All the better brands use it.

I have a Sunderland rainsuit (Gore Tex treated) and it is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

RoadRunner wrote: »

I would agree with the value but not with the quality, I bought a Adidas Gore-tex jacket and although it is 100% waterproof, it's also not very breathable and during rain on a mild day, it's gets very uncomfortable after a short time.
    I bite the bullet and bought a Galvin Green jacket, the difference in quality and comfort is unreal, unfortunately you do get what you pay for.

I'd also recommend KJUS golf gear if you can find it, really top notch but very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Sunderland have been around for years and have a great rep. they were at the top of the tree about a decade ago, but new players are there now. they still make good stuff i imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

It obviously depends on how much golf you play as well and where you play your golf. If you're playing golf every Saturday on the west coast it's worth a big investment. If you're a very casual golfer in a society in Dublin and you play a handful of times a year then I wouldn't go buying Galvin Green. I have an under armour suit I got in Kildare village and its grand but I'm not playing Lahinch every week from November to March.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

I just couldnt justify the outlay on GG stuff.
    I play on the west coast and from Nov to March when its non qualifying if the weather forecast is awful for the next day I'd take my name off the sheet, life is too short to go round in miserable conditions.

I have a Ping waterproof trousers and they have been perfect, never had an issue and usually just wear them alone or with shorts on underneath so dont get too warm, a Footjoy waterproof top unless its belting down does me fine as well. If I was a serious amateur golfer who played a lot of competitive golf then yip I would invest. But all I want is something that will keep me dry on the few occasions its raining for most of a round

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

I used a Sunderland gortex rain suit (jacket and trousers) for years and it was great. I replaced the jacket with a Sunderland gortex half zip pullover years ago and still use it in heavy/persistent rain. When the bottoms wore out some years ago I was told Sunderland no longer used gortex!! (it may have changed) so bought Footjoy bottoms but found that while waterproof they were quite light during those cold Dec/Jan days so bit the bullet and bought GG bottoms. There is no doubt GG is the best in my experience though expensive. More recently I bought Ping Typhoon waterproof trousers, also expensive, which are really good and I often use instead of the pull-overs on wet days even those wet/windy days in the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

The amount of people who buy GG not realising that they are tight fitting and so need a size bigger, they then sell them on ebay and there is some genuine bargains to be had, still in the GG box. Well worth watching out for if you are in the market for waterproofs.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Best waterproof trousers I've used and still us are craighopper termal lined.
    Any good outdoor store do them.
    Great in winter
    Wear them from Nov to march. No need for ordinary trousers underneath.
    Have a sunice jacket. Does a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Galvin Green if you play no matter the weather.

But can recommend sunderland as a less expensive alternative. Not as good but 1/5 of the price for a full suit. County golf always have great deals, much cheaper than mcguirks.

https://www.county-golf.co.uk/sunderland-ping--proquip-waterproofs

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Ronney

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

The high end footjoy stuff is also very good - new Japanese fabric which is thinner, lighter and more flexible than gore-tex but just as wind/rain proof - definitely worth a look - I think GG may be starting to use this fabric as well on their new stuff, it's pretty amazing

The high end footjoy stuff is also very good - new Japanese fabric which is thinner, lighter and more flexible than gore-tex but just as wind/rain proof - definitely worth a look - I think GG may be starting to use this fabric as well on their new stuff, it's pretty amazing

Gore-tex is not a fabric.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

First Up wrote: »

Ok thanks captain pedantic....great value add

Ok thanks captain pedantic....great value add

It is.
    Gore tex is a water proofing process that can be applied to any fabric.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭newport2

Senna wrote: »
    The amount of people who buy GG not realising that they are tight fitting and so need a size bigger, they then sell them on ebay and there is some genuine bargains to be had, still in the GG box. Well worth watching out for if you are in the market for waterproofs.

This, and the amount of people that do not realise to keep Goretex in top shape you need to apply heat regularly. Tumble-dry or iron to re-activate the water repellency, otherwise they'll start to absorb water.

I've bought several GG tops that just needed throwing in the tumble-drier to make them fully waterproof again.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

It is.

It's not a process. It is an ePTFE membrane that can be used with many inner and outer layers to create a fabric.

It's all marketing jargon from there. "Gore-tex fabric" as sold by WL Gore, usually consists of a Gore-tex membrane covered by an inner and outer layer.

martinkop wrote: »
    It is.

It's not a process. It is an ePTFE membrane that can be used with many inner and outer layers to create a fabric.

It's all marketing jargon from there. "Gore-tex fabric" as sold by WL Gore, usually consists of a Gore-tex membrane covered by an inner and outer layer.
    Applying it is a process and it can be applied to any fabric.  A "Gore Tex fabric" is any fabric that has had the Gore Tex treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Gore Tex isn't a clothing brand. Its a process for treating fabric to make it waterproof.
    The high end footjoy stuff is also very good... lighter and more flexible than gore-tex

rain-px.1-195-195.jpg

- new Japanese fabric which is thinner, lighter and more flexible than gore-tex but just as wind/rain proof -

One can only try.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

KJUS have developed their own fabrics through a Japanese firm. I can't get over how good it is... I have the Dexter Tour jacket.... never seen any thing as good in my time both playing and selling golf equipment. I also have one of the light weight tops from them.... totally waterproof too, water just Beads off all their gear. Very innovative brand.

Advertisement