Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off Topic Chat. (MOD NOTE post# 3949 and post#5279)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭ezra_

I feel odd reading this forum in an airport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭Walter Mittys Brother

I reckon they won't mind you feeling odd while reading on your phone or tablet once odd doesn't object and you're not feeling odd in a public place. Strange name odd. Is he/she foreign?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I know the weather was unreal this weekend but did anyone catch any of the Le Mans 24 hour race.

I think I am bad luck. Every time I turned on the race, within 10 minutes, the lead car broke down. Happened 3 times!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Never caught the race, but know what you mean. Whenever i wear my Liverpool Jersey we loose. I tried hiding it under a jacket, but the football Gods were not fooled.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I reckon they won't mind you feeling odd while reading on your phone or tablet once odd doesn't object and you're not feeling odd in a public place. Strange name odd. Is he/she foreign?

Odd is a bollix always causing mischief, unless its totally innocent but as they say...thats odd.

• Advertisement

Odd is a bollix always causing mischief, unless its totally innocent but as they say...thats odd.

With heavily armed guards standing about the place, the last thing you want is some hysterical person getting freaked about the terrorist guy (or girl, I mean, who knows what a username is!) looking at pictures of guns in an airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

In every silver lining there is a thunder cloud,[or something like that?]

So no doubt there is something that everyone doesn't like doing when shooting or hunting.Mine is mounting and zeroing scopes.Have tried rakes of different methods to get zeros with one or two shots,but with some guns or scopes and mount combos empty brass in sack loads seems to be my only award.
    So whats yours?:pac:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭gunny123

I think the problem with zeroing rifles with light weight hunting barrels, is they get hot and shift point of aim, so you end up chasing zero around the target. Its a pain in the backside having to let the barrel cool off between groups, but what can ya do. What rifle is it Grizz ?

gunny123 wrote: »
    I think the problem with zeroing rifles with light weight hunting barrels, is they get hot and shift point of aim, so you end up chasing zero around the target. Its a pain in the backside having to let the barrel cool off between groups, but what can ya do. What rifle is it Grizz ?

Most of them!:D.i think it is more my pendantism of tryingto get them all into a X ring at the zeroing distance than accepting a grouping anywhere on the target and working from there.Either that or my rifle rest is too damn wobbly.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

"Dangerous","Unsafe", :rolleyes:

"Dangerous","Unsafe", :rolleyes:

I'm very surprised Courtlough supported that video. It's a slap in the face, I think, for people who have spent time teaching safe and responsible firearms practice.

Also, anyone noticed how they were loading break action shotguns for the first bird, but they ended up shooting semis?

Keep saying it,and from experiance..Stay well away from media unless you have alot of say in whats going to be produced...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Dunno, I think with a couple more sessions they would be hooked.
    Its just that they are a product of their environment, and of the peer group they associate with.
    Its obvious by their comments that they have been programmed with a fairly left wing liberal leaning agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Its obvious by their comments that they have been programmed with a fairly left wing liberal leaning agenda.
    .../sigh.

So I'm a lefty pinko anarcho-commie feminazi tree-hugging hippie geeky nerdish liberal*. And I'm pretty right-wing compared to most of the people I knew from target shooting growing up.

Left, right, center, over, under, doesn't really matter, most people who get into the sport have no problem with the sport and lots grow to love it (some people for some reason, tend to prefer other stupid things like cars or members of their preferred gender or jobs and mortgages or whatever).

The problem here is that Facts is a comedy channel. Not an education channel. And more people laugh at the jokes on that video than would laugh at better-informed jokes. Or at least they thought so. It's a commercial decision, not a political one.

*did I forget anyone? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Sparks wrote: »
    .../sigh.

So I'm a lefty pinko anarcho-commie feminazi tree-hugging hippie geeky nerdish liberal*.

*did I forget anyone? :D
    Fr
    Yep!
    You've left out the lentil loving, neck beard pulling, Clisare watching, beanie wearing, LSE graduate, Junker quoting, self affected, D6 flatlanders, Corbonistas gladhanders ,Triple A campaigners, shades at night, I'm so vainer, Social Studies up in Trinners, don't admit to lovin mammies dinners, Cubanistas-tiochioch ar la, always vote Finiann McGrath, 600 points, dontcha know, 60k or its no go, youth of today. :D

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Keep saying it,and from experiance..Stay well away from media unless you have alot of say in whats going to be produced...

The problem is now, cheap very good quality cameras and youtube/vimeo/snapchat/instagram/bookface have made everyone media.

I posted this video before but i don't think it appeared here, so i'll try again.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Yep!
    You've left out the lentil loving, neck beard pulling, Clisare watching, beanie wearing, LSE graduate, Junker quoting, self affected, D6 flatlanders, Corbonistas gladhanders ,Triple A campaigners, shades at night, I'm so vainer, Social Studies up in Trinners, don't admit to lovin mammies dinners, Cubanistas-tiochioch ar la, always vote Finiann McGrath, 600 points, dontcha know, 60k or its no go, youth of today. :D
    Ah ****e, I forgot the Corbonista! Dammit! :D

Also the skinny jeans wearing,lumber jack shirt and beard wearing lumber jack look,but has never used an axe or chainsaw or cut so much as a twig in their lives,double soya,ethnically grown fair tarde,double decaffinated ,extra foamy, Crushed avacado on toast sanger eating,Starbucks living Gaelic Hikayu writing,high nelly riding,majoring in gender studies,[or any other field with study tacked onto it] Fuk Trump and America[but I'm going there on my J1 visa] preaching, creature of multiple genders but really identifies as a cat! person.

• Advertisement

The problem is now, cheap very good quality cameras and youtube/vimeo/snapchat/instagram/bookface have made everyone media.

Unfortuneatly so.People had to until the advent of the camera phone and youtube and FB,had to keep all this ****e in their heads!:p

Also the skinny jeans wearing,lumber jack shirt and beard wearing lumber jack look,but has never used an axe or chainsaw or cut so much as a twig in their lives
    /me looks at his lumberjack shirts

No, I think I'm okay there...

IMG_1291a.jpg

:D
    ethnically grown fair tarde
    That'll do me :) They actually enforce standards in the FairTrade label system, so you know you're getting coffee instead of 20% dehydrated cat**** :D
    Crushed avacado on toast sanger eating
    Nothing wrong with poor people food! (No, seriously, that's what poor people used for butter in that part of the world; avacados didn't need refrigeration, which poor people couldn't afford; hence, avacado toast (or bread or whatever you had to spread it on).

Now that marmite stuff... no. Just... no.

Also the skinny jeans wearing,lumber jack shirt and beard wearing lumber jack look,but has never used an axe or chainsaw or cut so much as a twig in their lives,double soya,ethnically grown fair tarde,double decaffinated ,extra foamy, Crushed avacado on toast sanger eating,Starbucks living Gaelic Hikayu writing,high nelly riding,majoring in gender studies,[or any other field with study tacked onto it] Fuk Trump and America[but I'm going there on my J1 visa] preaching, creature of multiple genders but really identifies as a cat! person.

There was an excellent programme on bbc4 the other night on hipsters, all trying to be different and managing to turn out the same. It turns out they have colonised a sizeable chunk of the east end of London. They are trying hard to be some working class throw back, but i don't think the old residents of hackney or whitechapel were vegan's with degree's from oxford selling coffee for £12 a cup. Its official, the worlds gone daft.

Sparks wrote: »
    /me looks at his lumberjack shirts

No, I think I'm okay there...

IMG_1291a.jpg

:D

That'll do me :) They actually enforce standards in the FairTrade label system, so you know you're getting coffee instead of 20% dehydrated cat**** :D

Nothing wrong with poor people food! (No, seriously, that's what poor people used for butter in that part of the world; avacados didn't need refrigeration, which poor people couldn't afford; hence, avacado toast (or bread or whatever you had to spread it on).

Now that marmite stuff... no. Just... no.

PFFT, Amateur, thats far too clean a workspace to be used. I knew an old cabinet maker, long dead, his workshop was a tip, but his work was lovely.

They are trying hard to be some working class throw back, but i don't think the old residents of hackney or whitechapel were vegan's with degree's from oxford selling coffee for £12 a cup. Its official, the worlds gone daft.
    Well. It's more that they want to see craftsmanship and artisan stuff come back, but these days there's no more manufacturing so they bring that into the service industry and you wind up getting things like really really good coffee --compared to the mass-produced crap you used to get 20 years ago-- but with the relative pricetags you used to get from handmade furniture and the like.

Thing is, we got used to the massproduced prices so we see handmade prices on consumables and it's jarring.
    "That coffee cost over a fiver! When I was a lad, coffee in the hamilton cafe cost 1.50!"
    "Yes, but it tasted so god-awful that the standing joke was that it was just recycled from the hamilton toilets".

I'm still gonna take the piss about those beards though :D Feck me, when did looking like Gerry Adams come back into style? :D

PFFT, Amateur, thats far too clean a workspace to be used.
    You'll note I'm not panning to the left, where all the shavings land :D
    Plus, I'd just finished shellacing the bookshelf. Shellac's lovely but you have to tidy up before you start or every piece of dust and crap around will stick to the surface and you'd be there forever with the steel wool knocking back the coat until you pretty much didn't have anything left on the wood :D
    I knew an old cabinet maker, long dead, his workshop was a tip, but his work was lovely.
    Oh, I'm nowhere near that kind of level. I putter, it does me to clear my head out occasionally. And it makes family presents a lot easier to sort out - that was a fathers' day gift for example.

Unless it involves,axes,chainsaws and wedges and cutting wood and stacking it into neat piles of firewood,I'm hopeless with wood or doing creative stuff with it.To my fammlies eternal shame,as my grandfather and father,my uncles and cousin were and are purveyors of fine veneers.:p
    Am more attracted to welding or black smithing or steel work for some reason and thinking of a career change to maybe knife making or black smithing.

knife making or black smithing.

Both very hipster these days :D

Now were are yapping about wood. I was given a very nice sidelock shotgun, made in dublin. The locks were bent though along their length. It turns out some spanner had decided to "refinish" the stock, had sanded the bejesus out of the head of the stock and left the locks sitting proud of the wood.

To compensate, they simply overtightened the screws holding the locks together. This obviously caused issues with the mechanics of the lockwork and further butchering was done. The metal work is sorted out, but the locks stick out the side of the stock about 2mm either side.

I will get it restocked sometime i am in better funds, but for a temporary fix i was going to glue 2mm walnut veneer either side and reshape it. It will not be brilliant, but will at least allow the locks to sit in the correct place and the wood will keep the dirt out.

Where to get veneer though ? I remember in dublin as a young fella all around capel street had places that seemed to supply the woodworking trade.

Answers on a postcard please. Where to buy a small amount of walnut veneer.

• Advertisement

Hmmm. Online really is your best bet I'd think; you might find small bits in http://www.woodworkers.ie/ or http://www.thecarpentrystore.com/, but somewhere like http://www.thewoodveneerhub.co.uk/ is going to be more convenient and have a wider range.

Advertisement