Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMACKDOWN LIVE SUPERTHREAD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

CSF wrote: »
    Re: the complaints about Spirit Squad and Ellsworth being in those roles. I'd agree if we were in a pre-brand split situation, but with the small roster that Smackdown has, if you're getting Usos and American Alpha involved already, what are you going to do come Mania? Rehash 5 month old feuds? Do it with the Vaudevillains or the Ascension. These sort of feuds will put the champions over and space things out.

With the Ellsworth/Styles thing, he's there to put over Ambrose. If they went and put Apollo Crews or Baron Corbin in that role, people would be even more annoyed.

And what's good about it, is that even though Spirit Squad and Ellsworth are clearly filler feuds with no intention of putting those guys over, they've still put effort into the writing of the feud and there's an actual story there. These kind of feuds on Raw never seemed to get anything. Lost in the 3 hour shuffle.

Over time the ratings will decline utlising mediocre teams like Vaudevillains or Ascension. There has already been a slight drop off from when the brand split first started. More weeks of this sort of filler and I fear it will be a worse drop off. Makes much more sense to push American Alpha and Usos and if you do it well, they get more over as the weeks go by. Instead, American Alpha have gotten less over since their debut. For a team that were supposed to be the star tag team of the brand, that is shocking. There need not be concern over what to do by Mania if they promote teams from NXT like The Revival (who probably ought to be up now anyway).

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ellsworth is this generations his name escapes me now the one legged wrestler who got a run with Hogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Ellsworth is this generations his name escapes me now the one legged wrestler who got a run with Hogan.

Zach gowen

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Or 1-2-3 Kid

• Registered Users Posts: 37,552 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

sky88 wrote: »
    Zach gowen

speaking of Zach Gowan. No hussle, royalty and respect there from the 2003 version of John Cena. Imagine cena doing that nowadays

The things wwes did to gowan (squash match with lesner where he was busted wide open, match with Vince and the general making a mockery of him) were horrendus and deff not PG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wonder if they reached out to him after his Ninja Warrior appearance

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I hope for a day when Bray disappears & doesn't return. One of so many repetitive boring wwe acts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

ERG89 wrote: »
    I hope for a day when Bray disappears & doesn't return. One of so many repetitive boring wwe acts

Amazing to think that the Undertaker's Ministry of Darkness was such an iconic stable / gimmick and it only lasted about half a year. Yet the Wyatts are on the go over 3 years with the same schtick that got old after about 3 months :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

ERG89 wrote: »

I blame 90% of that on the writers tbh; his promos never change, he constantly loses (name me a feud he won?) and his "cult" has only successfully recruited a single person in a 3 year window (Strowman, who even he has broken away from them now).

Someone mentioned The Ministry...if Undertaker had been treated like Bray, his streak would never have existed and we'd look back on him like a joke...

As much as Bray is built like a star and then jobbed out repeatedly he is at least interesting at times.

Orton on the other hand is just one-dimensional and bores me to tears really.

I didn't miss him when he was gone and take no notice of him now that he is back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

As much as Bray is built like a star and then jobbed out repeatedly he is at least interesting at times.

Orton on the other hand is just one-dimensional and bores me to tears really.

I didn't miss him when he was gone and take no notice of him now that he is back.

I thought Orton was good in his feud with Lesnar, and the Wyatt feud was grand for the first few weeks, but it is gone shocking the last few weeks. I suppose that the SD roster is so light on top names that they have to drag every feud out for 2-3 PPVs, which means everyone gets bored.

They could have freshened things up after the last PPV but instead Styles-Ambrose, Orton-Wyatt and Miz-Ziggler are all still paired together. With Survivor Series next up, you can understand that they wouldn't want to waste fresh feuds at a PPV where they will be overlooked, but it just means SD is in a holding pattern right now.

Hopefully after Survivor Series we get Orton-Styles, which could be interesting, and give Ziggler something that allows him to build on his momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Delighted to Ellsworth what a feel good story. Thats the beauty of pro wrestling.

A real Chinderella story.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

CSF wrote: »
    Re: the complaints about Spirit Squad and Ellsworth being in those roles. I'd agree if we were in a pre-brand split situation, but with the small roster that Smackdown has, if you're getting Usos and American Alpha involved already, what are you going to do come Mania? Rehash 5 month old feuds? Do it with the Vaudevillains or the Ascension. These sort of feuds will put the champions over and space things out.

With the Ellsworth/Styles thing, he's there to put over Ambrose. If they went and put Apollo Crews or Baron Corbin in that role, people would be even more annoyed.

And what's good about it, is that even though Spirit Squad and Ellsworth are clearly filler feuds with no intention of putting those guys over, they've still put effort into the writing of the feud and there's an actual story there. These kind of feuds on Raw never seemed to get anything. Lost in the 3 hour shuffle.

Think they made a big mistake in picking Ellsworth and not Corbin as Styles tag partner last month, even though it was part of the whole Miz main event storyline I think Corbin could have done with the little push and that Miz would have found some other way of sticking it to DB.

Smackdown is light on top stars and need to promote a few guys and I cant think of a better way of trying to get someone over than entering into a program with Cena, Ambrose and Styles. Paired up with Styles as a sort of HBK/Diesel 2.0 could have maybe used Styles popularity for helping to get him over and with Cena missing for a few weeks could have used Corbin to kayfabe injure which leads to a feud between the two and boom maybe you've just got a new top tier guy in the space of a few months.

Ellsworth has more charisma in his fighting hands than Corbin ever will.

Corbin will never be a star and will be released in a year or two.

Ellsworth will head off back to obscurity in a few months as well but will have left a bigger impression on wrestling history the Corbin ever will.

Smackdown preview...
    Will Ambrose overcome Styles to become the No. 1 contender to the WWE World Title?

Will anything be left after Kane battles Wyatt in a No Disqualification Match?

Becky Lynch returns to SmackDown LIVE

Who can tame The Lone Wolf?

Qualifying will begin for the 10-on-10 Traditional Survivor Series Tag Team Elimination Match

Good to see Becky back. Kane vs Bray could be decent if given time.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

THANK YOU.

Finally something to be interested about in the Wyatt/Orton thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Smackdown tag team division is a joke right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,598 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Neil3030 wrote: »
    THANK YOU.

Finally something to be interested about in the Wyatt/Orton thing.
    Didn't do anything for me tbh. Stay tuned for another 'find out who is inside whose head this week' with poor enough execution next week.

Both guys come off like they're seriously phoning it in at this stage after continued terrible booking for them.

• Could they not get Becky a proper belt? You can tell it's a replica like the ones the fans buy by the lack of no bend in the leather.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Nikki Bella applies a more convincing STF than Cena ever has.

• Advertisement

Ellsworth costing Ambrose the title shot. Ambrose to attack him down the line and turn heel ???

Orton as part of the Wyatt family ?? No but its intresting

When is Rhyno going to gore Slater ??

Why do they make Becky Lynch sound like an Idiot ?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Ellsworth costing Ambrose the title shot. Ambrose to attack him down the line and turn heel ???

Orton as part of the Wyatt family ?? No but its intresting

When is Rhyno going to gore Slater ??

Why do they make Becky Lynch sound like an Idiot ?

I feel like they are gonna try re-create(and fail) the whole Daniel Bryan thing from a few years ago.

Yea the the Slater/Rhyno/Dolph vs Miz/Spirit Squad was just awful and the faces came across as more heel.

So with 2 teams on the SD Survivor Series team im guessing we will have American Alpha/Usos and Breezango?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Im so tired of Dean Ambrose now

I thought Alexa Bliss was very good. I haven't really taken much notice of her but she's caught my eye in this feud with Becky and I thought she did a great job in her segment. The spray paint was a nice touch too.

I wouldn't be shocked if they stick the title on her as Becky's character may be better suited to chasing the belt rather than having it. I dunno if it's a bit early for Alexa but I do think she'll make a good champ whenever she gets it.

I feel like they are gonna try re-create(and fail) the whole Daniel Bryan thing from a few years ago. ?

But this time Kane will be involved in it. WWE surly can't rehash the whole D Bryan joining the Wyatt's thing and think we're all dumb enough not too notice ?

Orton will just attack all of Bray's opponent too try and get in his head and then RKO him out of nowhere a week or 2 before Survivor Series (just as bray was going to accept him into the family)

PTH2009 wrote: »
    WWE surly can't rehash the whole D Bryan joining the Wyatt's thing and think we're all dumb enough not too notice ?

Yes they can and yes they do and they don't really care what we think being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Alexa is fairly mediocre in the ring but she looks great and her character work is very good so she'll do well in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Pentecost wrote: »
    Alexa is fairly mediocre in the ring but she looks great and her character work is very good so she'll do well in the long run.

To me Alexa has a better character already than "Boss" Sasha and "Queen" Charlotte. That segment on Raw was painful, with Foley unintentionally making them look like fools.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    To me Alexa has a better character already than "Boss" Sasha and "Queen" Charlotte. That segment on Raw was painful, with Foley unintentionally making them look like fools.

I skipped the whole segment since i had a feeling it was just gonna be the same as this

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Never got round to watching Smackdown this week. Anything I should check out?

Advertisement