Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Film forum off topic/random chat thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84,901 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ryan Gosling as Rambo? 😁 Well who knew he'd play a great Ken in Barbie and he has done action roles, versatility

https://www.thewrap.com/sylvester-stallone-rambo-ryan-gosling/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Expectations about a film is part of their job and for them to assess so maybe they were gloomy about it, it still comes back to making a decision on sunk cost versus having to spend new money on it. Also I looked up the Copr tax rates in the US and the current rate of CT in the US is 21% and if in California their CT rate seems to be around 9% so that makes the numbers seem bogus too, it would be 30% not half.

it doesnt look like its over, there might be some value if the project is good where the costs are known. the concept for the film does look interesting suing Acme but at the same time I doubt Roadrunner cartoons have been shown much on TV since the early 80's? , it was a staple for kids TV during the 60s/ 70's, so there wont be much in the way of parental nostalgia as their kids will be grown up now.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

There have been several animated shorts made in the last 15-20 years that were paired with feature length animated films (I think the most recent one was for the Yogi Bear movie, but I could be wrong) and there have been various recent animated series that feature variations on the characters (Loonatics Unleashed, New Looney Tunes).

On top of that, the older cartoons came back in rotation in the mid to late 2000s on the likes of Cartoon Network and have had DVD releases.

It doesn't guarantee that the film would make millions but I think you're way off base assuming that there's no audience for this just because to you it's a cartoon series from the 60s and 70s.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

WB also commissioned brand new Looney Tunes cartoons a few years back - and they're already on season 5 so culturally, they're still relevant enough that HBO / WB are still making them.

kids might be aware of them but I wouldnt say they were/are beloved by kids, to the extent I remember these types of remakes, they looked like cheap filler content. Also, way "back in the day" pre internet, cartoons were popular up to 10 or 12 years of age, now most kids go from TV to "Youtube" after about 5-6 years of age , if it isnt the hip show that they are all watching they aint going to be caring that much.

I'd put this movie in the risky with low upside potential which would at least explain why nobody to date whats to pay big bucks for it so far

Post edited by silverharp on

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭p to the e

I imagine there's quite a lot of information not in the public sphere regarding the decision to axe it. The role of the CEO is to maximise profits whilst minimising losses. Who knows, the film could still need a lot more money to be pumped into it or, more likely, the film could simply just be rubbish. Obviously I'd prefer to make my own mind up than have someone decide that for me but if it's not released I won't lose sleep over it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

All the trade publications have reported that the film is completed and has received extremely positive feedback from test screenings. There are people in the industry who’ve seen it and are publicly going to bat for it. This isn’t like Batgirl - a film that wasn’t completed and Warners waged a smear campaign to insist the film was ‘unreleasable’ (to be clear, I think dumping that film - as good or as bad though the film may have been - for a mere tax write-off was also a moral disgrace). Nothing of the like happening here.

To be clear, though, I think anyone interested in film as an art form should be deeply concerned with the idea that dumping completed films for tax reasons is now seen as a legit accounting tactic. Yes, executives are business people, but **** them: someone in Warners greenlit this in the first place. More importantly the filmmakers behind poured countless man hours into something they’re proud of and may never get released, despite there being options for that to happen. Of course, as discussed in this very thread a few posts back, this is one of the consequences of what happens when film is entirely controlled by corporations, as is the case in Hollywood, as opposed to the European model where there are greater protections for ‘film as art’ rather than it merely been a commercial enterprise.

Ultimately, a completed creative work is being memory holed for a corporation’s short-term balance sheet, and that’s frankly morally reprehensible as far as I’m concerned. And if you’re not concerned in this particular case, just think how you’d react if this was a film you were looking forward to.

New Open AI text to video model out soon , if someone's business is selling stock footage they might need to rethink

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ah, more artless digital sh*t.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The sooner this shít is regulated and slapped with some degree of protection the better.

• Advertisement

Also describes the fx in Marvel movies at this point lol, point is its coming. A young 20 something might want to think twice about setting out on a career being the "fur guy" in Pixar. Im of the view that nobody would watch a whole movie that was obviously AI based, people need to connect to the art so there will always be real actors on screen, It will become a tool though, especially in 3D animation or to be the base for FX depending on what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ridley's next movie, At 86 the man has some engery to keep directing these big movies

Ridley Scott To Direct Paramount’s Bee Gees Movie From GK Films

Said it before and I'll say it again: Ridley Scott will die during development of a movie, and when they go to his office they'll find 20 other scripts that were ready to go. The man's insane; completely ornery at this stage but I suppose he has earned the right to give zero fúcks. But if I'm still that active, still that lucid at 86 I'll be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

A Bee Gees movie? Just what everyone was asking for.

:/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

did you see the doc its a very interesting story

• Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Oh I know quite a bit about the Gibb brothers and, yes, it's an interesting story. Do I want to watch a fictional movie about though?

Hmmm, that's another matter entirely.

The Bee Gees will only have sentimental value to the over 60's? ;-) they will need to get out of the zimmers in large numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the doc told me that they or them and their producers were very modern and innovative.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

More mergers ahead

Paramount+ and Peacock in talks to merge.

Both Paramount Plus and Peacock have been working hard to court subscribers in order to further solidify their respective statuses as lasting players in the streaming space, but according to a new report, the platforms’ parent companies could be considering a unique partnership.

The Wall Street Journal reports that Comcast and Paramount have been in recent talks about a potential streaming partnership that could see Paramount Plus and Peacock being offered to subscribers together as a package deal. Along with making access to the two platforms comparatively cheaper than buying separate subscriptions, the partnership would help Comcast and Paramount “produce significant cost savings — from spending on programming to marketing.”

Word of these recent talks comes in the wake of Disney / ESPN, Fox, and Warner Bros. announcing last week that they’re working together to create a new shared service focused on sports — a sign that more studios and networks are beginning to get very serious about collaborating to survive the streaming wars.

Huh. On the supposed "revolutionary" Sora demos, they're not entirely on the up and up here and generating from nothing.

The site of exKotaku writers formulate the not unreasonable speculation this may yet be another case of a tech industry hype-bubble scam.

I do think some decent legislation is needed to put a lid on the thing, and said as much, but there's also the possibility the thing flames out ala NFTs etc.

• Advertisement

There is an NFT type vibe to it, in the sense the hype is largely driven by hyperbolic tech bros who see this as an opportunity to ‘get in ahead’ on the next big thing. They’re invested in it either financially, socially or philosophically, therefore it has to be the best thing ever.

But like NFTs, it’s being driven primarily by people who don’t give a **** about art or creativity.

There’s a perfectly good chance actual human artists will use manipulated or curated AI generated images to create something interesting down the line. And there are uses for the tech to aid human creators (like Nvidia’s DLSS for improving video game performance). But the idea that it will replace human created film is absolutely laughable. Like people claiming a random nonsense shot of an astronaut ‘could be Interstellar 2’ is farcical to the point of parody, and displays a profound ignorance of the act of creation and storytelling. Ditto when people claim it can create entire seasons of cancelled TV shows - good TV shows are good because they’re written and made by humans, not because they’re just some bland mush of content to endlessly distract you. Even the worst, most generic sitcoms are better than that.

Like people claiming a random nonsense shot of an astronaut ‘could be Interstellar 2’ is farcical to the point of parody, and displays a profound ignorance of the act of creation and storytelling.

Yeah it has been tweets from this tech bro chud, not not unsurprising someone of that ilk would be raving about it.

Look at this nightmare fuel he's wittering about... if someone put an atonal or discordant piece to this it'd become some scene from a horror flick.

there is a fundamental issue here , questions have been raised if the output of these prompts can ever be editable , if not then it would only ever be useful as stock footage, in this Hollywood can sleep easy. Or in 3 to 5 years there will be serious developments that would start to change the landscape, who knows

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

These tools aren't built to produce something that can be used analogously to raw footage, so while there may be iterative improvements over time on the accuracy of the output in relation to the prompt, we're nowhere even remotely near a place where you could e.g. feed a bunch of dailies in as training footage and have that be sufficient to generate intermediate shots between scenes or similar. At which point it's still probably cheaper and faster (because it's a known technology) to do a simple green-screen shoot with some of the cast and place that into a Unity/Unreal model of the location.

The other drawback aspect of this kind of tooling that isn't being mentioned is the same as the one that applies to any other generated media - which is that for any complex task, editing a mediocre (or worse) first draft into a usable state does not take appreciably less time than starting from scratch and having someone who knows what they're doing work on the same task. (But in one of those cases managers think they can just hire juniors and give them AI tools to make up the difference, and it won't be the managers getting the blame when it turns out that junior + AI does not consistently match the output standard of a senior...)

I got a bit teary eyed seeing Michael J. Fox at the BAFTAs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,648 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Not an auteur by any means, but certainly an improvement. And as he won't be on writing duties, he can put all his focus on what he does best - making big monsters look good on screen.

Huh. That's not an entirely terrible choice. Though it might only work if he has < 100 million this time ala The Creator - otherwise it's just another overbudgeted monster.

You'd have to suspect the miracle of The Creator's FX on 80 million got Edwards the gig. Can't imagine it was his storytelling technique lol.

From a WSJ article, I had come across something at the end of last year that for the US they were projecting box office to be down from 9 billion to 8 billion in 24, and the opinion was there would be no billion $ movie this year (will take a fact check there). It seems like cinemas there need to diversify by showing more live events UFC, live concerts etc. or a lot of them will go out of business. The box office numbers are worse than they say because of inflation, so physically even less people are going to the cinema which means cinemas dont get to sell high margin food and drink to the non appearing customers

"Crowds have been sparse at movie theaters so far this year.

Through the first three days of Presidents Day weekend, films that have been released widely in theaters have grossed $764.1 million, down 15% from the same period last year, according to box-office tracker Comscore.

That total is just over half the $1.3 billion generated by movie theaters in the U.S. and Canada in the opening weeks of 2020, just before the pandemic froze Hollywood."

• Advertisement

Bridget Jones 4 starts filming in May with Renee Zellweger returning

The new film comes eight years after the last instalment, Bridget Jones's Baby and is to be based on Ms Fielding's 2013 novel, Bridget Jones: Mad About The Boy, which saw her raising young children as a single mum while navigating social media and dating apps.

Colin Firth and Hugh Grant who played love rivals Mark Darcy and Daniel Cleaver are both expected to return in their roles in some capacity.

A movie source said: 'Bridget is back and is about to take over London. Filming is being mapped out already and all of the preproduction is in place.

Advertisement