Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Summer 2015 - Long Range Forecasts

124»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pauldry wrote: »
    at this rate guys predict a cold wet summer and youll be right mostly

rest of august - cool and unsettled short warm spells
    september - the same
    october - 50 degrees
    farenheit!

2015 will be the coldest year for at least 50 in Ireland even though ROW will have warmest on record! I think 1958 is the last year as cold as 2015

Have to admit we get the rough end of the stick almost every year compared to any other European country. Summer has the entire continent at 25-42C with Ireland and perhaps the western fringes of UK & Scotland struggling on 16C all summer.
    Winter see's a reverse of this with most of Europe and sometimes England, Scotland & Wales with plenty of snow and winter wonderland's while Ireland enjoys 13C, wind and mist.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Gonzo wrote: »
    Have to admit we get the rough end of the stick almost every year compared to any other European country. Summer has the entire continent at 25-42C with Ireland and perhaps the western fringes of UK & Scotland struggling on 16C all summer.
    Winter see's a reverse of this with most of Europe and sometimes England, Scotland & Wales with plenty of snow and winter wonderland's while Ireland enjoys 13C, wind and mist.

I have found the last few winters to be quite reasonable though, generally dry and often clearer than summer days.

This is based on my daily commute involving cycling to and from Dart station and I can count the number of days I needed rain gear on one hand but the summer has been much worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

murpho999 wrote:
    I have found the last few winters to be quite reasonable though, generally dry and often clearer than summer days.

Spot on. I always find winter weather much more pleasant. More dry days, and although the sun doesn't shine for very long, I think we actually get to see the sun a lot more in winter.

Statistics will probably prove us both wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Spot on. I always find winter weather much more pleasant. More dry days, and although the sun doesn't shine for very long, I think we actually get to see the sun a lot more in winter.

Statistics will probably prove us both wrong.

They probably will!

But I think the East/West climate difference is becoming more pronounced in the past 5 to 10 years, perhaps in all seasons.

Someone up there said "Ireland" was struggling to reach 16C in July - in fact the average here was 19C, only a degree below "normal".

There is a bit of tension on related threads over this issue, which I think stems from some posters implying that their local weather represents "Ireland".

If ones local experience is very different you wish (or certainly I do) to point that out. (And that would equally apply if the weather was worse here)

So when we are summarising long term forecasts, or actual outcomes, we probably need to break the country into a few of the main climatic sub-zones.

Even if there are only two with a transitional area at the boundary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

true

the august temperatures have been 2.2c below normal in the west so far but only 0.5c below normal in the East

Summer has been 1.8c below normal in the west but just under a degree below normal in the east

Id say Northwest gets the roughest deal as its cold and misty even though West and South are wetter

Dublin Casement and Pheonix Park are hitting 19 and 20c regularly this Summer

Sligo has hit 20c 3 times.

Maybe 4 tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

pauldry wrote: »
    Id say Northwest gets the roughest deal as its cold and misty even though West and South are wetter

It's not all bad though.

For a snow lover like me (and I'd trade August '95 for December '10 every time) - I was green with envy as you reported endless snow falling, lying and blizzarding all through last winter. :(

Advertisement