Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The poppy , to wear or not to wear?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Jawgap wrote: »
    Can you start a separate thread on this?

The issue isn't whether the British Empire was 'good' or 'bad' for Ireland, the issue is people trying to re-write history to remove the grey bits - of which there were many - and define everything in black and white.

The - let's call it - 'Republican Narrative' is that the country was occupied by a foreign force and we (the Irish people) suffered under the heel of a brutal and repressive regime.

Whereas even a cursory reading of the contemporary sources reveals - in the words of Dermot Ferriter - "a nationalist movement that would not lament the passing of British rule, but was comfortable with the trappings of Empire." In fact, the main criticism that the nationalist / home rule movement were lobbing at Dublin Castle in the early 1900s was that the home rule movement was being killed with kindness!

......and that really is my final word on this, in this thread. Start a dedicated thread and take it on from there.

People got used to life under British rule and it would have alway been a difficult regime change. It was an occupation though and saying that the problems post independance could have been avoided is naive after the duration of British rule.

It was overall a negative experience for this country and our low population represents this. That is not a grey area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

tac foley wrote: »
    I'm sure that you can tell me who looks after Irish veterans.

tac

Don't know who looks after Irish veterans but I suspect they aren't any better looked after than their British counterparts - of course there would be a lot less of them. It's traditional for British officialdom to fail in their duty to their returned service personnel and the usual reward is the further cutting of defence spending, closure of bases, dockyards etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Potatoeman wrote: »
    People got used to life under British rule and it would have alway been a difficult regime change. It was an occupation though and saying that the problems post independance could have been avoided is naive after the duration of British rule.

It was overall a negative experience for this country and our low population represents this. That is not a grey area.

I had a response prepared but as you are well armoured against facts, I'll just leave it.
    Don't know who looks after Irish veterans but I suspect they aren't any better looked after than their British counterparts - of course there would be a lot less of them. It's traditional for British officialdom to fail in their duty to their returned service personnel and the usual reward is the further cutting of defence spending, closure of bases, dockyards etc..

In fairness, whatever about officialdom, I think the RBL mainly focuses on the individuals and their families who are disproportionately hardest hit by changes in circumstances.

In our family's experience, the gentleman in question was terminal and the choice was die in a sterile hospital with the sounds of strangers ringing in your ears, a hospice on the other side of the city, or at home in familiar surroundings and free access to family and friends. The HSE could only offer 1 or 2 and (despite home care being cheaper!!) were actively opposed to 3 - on the grounds that it might set a precedent! It took the RBL about 2 days to get things sorted, and get him home.

I should also point out that they weren't asked to help. In a fit of pragmatism he'd asked his son to sort out his pension from the UK. The son rang the RBL to see if they might be able to help him make contact with the right office and got talking about what was happening - they then took over from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Correct, but sadly we are worse, despite a great organisation, ONE that does fantastic work, but is woefully underfunded. See ONE

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Correct, but sadly we are worse, despite a great organisation, ONE that does fantastic work, but is woefully underfunded. See ONE

Thank you for that, Pedro. A very interesting, if saddening, read. If I lived in the RoI, I'd be supporting it myself, former serviceman or not.

tac

• Advertisement

I quoted Fisk if you read my post.

In any case I don't agree with you that people should not express their opinion if it is genuinely felt on a nationalistic basis. I do not in this case censor such opinion nor should I be asked to.

It was obvious that you quoted Fisk, who in turn was quoting Nurse Cavell’s (abbreviated) quote in full, with contextual emphasis (and my underlining) on the last sentence- "But this I would say, standing in view of God and eternity, I realise that patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone."
    I have no issues with the opinions of other posters, nationalistic or otherwise, if those opinions are informed, pertinent and not rammed at others in a biased rant of rhetoric. That manner of posting, sadly, has become far to frequent on this forum and there are just a few culprits.
    It was never suggested that you censor posts – I did not mention that word, I said, in a passing reference to the underlined sentence above,
    Maybe I misunderstand the rules of Boards..............the clear anti-British invective contained in the content posted (not for the first time) by several on this topic....... the Mods have allowed rampant racism to stand untouched on this and several other threads and infractions/bans are dished out/threatened only for personal abuse.
    I said that because the Charter – that supposed holy of holies – clearly states (the bold is 'as is' in the Charter):-
    Obviously overly racist or inflammatory comments will not be tolerated under any circumstances. Furthermore, any semi-racist (race in this sense includes nationality) will result in a permanent ban.
    People who consistently go off-topic and pursue what appear to personal agendas between people will be banned permanently, either in that thread or any other threads.
    From my perspective an earlier intervention by a Mod on some of the more nonsensical and racist posts would make this a far more entertaining and interesting place. That's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I look forward to the next round of claims of British imperialism, war for oil Or whatever, in the Philippines.

Growing up in Portsmouth, most of the servicemen I knew spent more time dishing out aid and tracking drug smugglers than they did pursuing the interests of the oil majors, but I guess that's just a small country pretending it's a superpower.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

From my perspective an earlier intervention by a Mod on some of the more nonsensical and racist posts would make this a far more entertaining and interesting place. That's all.

As per my earlier inference a certain level of comment has to be tolerated to allow discussion. This goes for all sides in debates and must allow for a discussion of items that a moderator may not fully agree with. History is open to varying degrees of interpretation.

I look forward to the next round of claims of British imperialism, war for oil Or whatever, in the Philippines.

Growing up in Portsmouth, most of the servicemen I knew spent more time dishing out aid and tracking drug smugglers than they did pursuing the interests of the oil majors, but I guess that's just a small country pretending it's a superpower.

Any views on Robert Fisk or Snow? (Lest it be missed I am referring to non republican objectors to the poppy).

In my view as a user of this forum I am disappointed that the several people who would support the view that wearing the poppy is a positive sign of support, have at this stage avoided tackling any of the issues raised by Fisk and Snow. As such these forum users are equally culpable in the low level of debate on this subject as those who continually peddle the (almost irrelevant) republican objections.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

It is ironic indeed to notice that our friend potatoeman [sic] chooses to write his posts in the English language and not Irish.

Had it not been for the timely interference of many others who spoke the English language, this post and all preceding it may well have been written in either German, or, far more likely, Russian.

tac

This is the level this thread has descended to,nonsensical rhetoric that has no bearing on the wearing of the poppy,our bold ambassador (Tac) will encourage his friends(:)) not to visit Ireland because of the alleged duplicity of the the Irish people,which he feels is justified by the postings/rantings of a few on this forum.You could not make it up :(

The wearing of the poppy is a personal decision, I have worn it in the past and have invited the ire of a few disturbed individuals in the Republic, but I have also noted the same reaction in the UK to those that do not wear it (note the vitriol directed at people who do not wear it)

Time for an Irish poppy that Irish people can feel comfortable with.

• Advertisement

kabakuyu wrote: »

Time for an Irish poppy that Irish people can feel comfortable with.
    As shown above there is an Irish version, a poppy on a shamrock. If that does not suit there also is a purely Irish, the ONE alternative, the Fuschia see here .

I agree that wearing / not wearing a poppy is a personal thing. I've family that served in both wars - WW2 in the RAF & RN, and in WW1 in the 13th Battalion, Canadian Infantry (Quebec Regt.) – the ‘Royal Highlanders of Canada’ - he died in the first gas attack at Ypres. I also have family that were in the Irish Army & LDF during the 'Emergency' - two were career officers, one later being killed on duty, the other staying in until retirement. For those reasons I support both RBL and ONE.
    I'm often in the UK around the 11th Nov (shooting invite first weekend in Nov.) and I wear the poppy there for two reasons - one to acknowledge and show my support for the work done by the RBL and secondly as a sign of respect. Most people do not remark on it; those that do usually are less informed about everything, ask why as an Irishman I wear one and are surprised when I tell them about the Irish in both Wars. It is an opportunity to show that not all Irish are murderers who put bombs in shopping centres and that we have a symbiotic relationship with Britain.

As those Irish who fought in WW1 are gone and those of WW2 are nearly gone, the poppy is becoming irrelevant in an ''old Irish soldiers aid' context. I would love the ONE people to produce and market a fuschia pin like the poppy. Then, instead of a meaningless political sop national remembrance day in July, piggyback on what is regarded worldwide as Rem. Day (for all conflicts) and use the 11 November as 'Veterans' Day' to honour the dead Irish soldiers of all conflicts . It also would show we have some political maturity and independence of thought and it would bring in much needed funds to a worthy cause and support for those retirees that need it .
    Will it happen? Probably not, because too much notice is paid to the few loudmouth bileous idiots, as exemplified by some self-styled republicans that post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Balaclava1991

The Irish dead in World War I, World War 2 and other wars should be commemorated but not with the poppy which in Ireland is too bound up with the British.

I think wearing a harp on November 11 every year would be a better idea - Irish soldiers in British uniform wore a harp on their uniforms.

The Irish dead in World War I, World War 2 and other wars should be commemorated but not with the poppy which in Ireland is too bound up with the British.

I think wearing a harp on November 11 every year would be a better idea - Irish soldiers in British uniform wore a harp on their uniforms.

Only in Ireland is it 'too bound up with the British' - the original idea of the poppy as a symbol of remembrance started out from a poem written by a Canadian....

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.

It was adopted by the Yanks first as their symbol of remembrance in 1918, and not used by the British until the early 1920s.

Plus not all Irish regiments sported a harp in their crest, nor did many Irish divisions. The Munsters didn't and I think the Royal Irish Fusiliers had that cuckoo they pinched from Napoleon in their crest :)

If you're looking for an alternative, the French wear a blue cornflower.

EDIT:- kabakuyu only thanked you because the Connaught Rangers wore a harp ;)

[QUOTE=Jawgap;87532803

EDIT:- kabakuyu only thanked you because the Connaught Rangers wore a harp ;)[/QUOTE]

:D rumbled, but you should also include the Royal Irish Rifles,Royal Irish Regiment( the first one) and Fifth Irish Lancers who had some harp emblems on the collar and sleeve.

I would be happy with a shamrock emblem of some type, it would help recognise the achievments of the 16th Irish Division who had the shamrock as their emblem.

I ahve also picked up a nice 16th badge from ebay which I wear all the time.

It may be meant initially as a symbol of remembrance but people in its favour have not addressed some of the more commercial aspects.

Try here for example: http://www.poppyshop.org.uk/
    Quote "Buy our stunning brooch as worn by the duchess of Cambridge" -only £25.
    Or how about a bag? or an umbrella?

There is a wider question then of what this utilising a form of memorial as a tacky accessory really says about peoples intentions in remembering the past. My Grand Uncle left home aged 15 to fight in WWI and was killed in France. I don't see a poppy printed on an umbrella as a way of remembering him, in fact I find it an insult that this is how his contribution is exploited by some to make money (whatever the money is for).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

When people bring up buying a poppy I just ask why I or anyone would want <<<MOD EDIT>>>>

As shown above there is an Irish version, a poppy on a shamrock. If that does not suit there also is a purely Irish, the ONE alternative, the Fuschia see here .

I agree that wearing / not wearing a poppy is a personal thing. I've family that served in both wars - WW2 in the RAF & RN, and in WW1 in the 13th Battalion, Canadian Infantry (Quebec Regt.) – the ‘Royal Highlanders of Canada’ - he died in the first gas attack at Ypres. I also have family that were in the Irish Army & LDF during the 'Emergency' - two were career officers, one later being killed on duty, the other staying in until retirement. For those reasons I support both RBL and ONE.

I have seen the shamrock poppy,I like it,and would wear it no problem, I am surprised more people don't wear it,considering 200,000 Irish men served in WW1 alone.
    In the past 3 years I have helped with researching the relatives of approx 15 local people, all the men served in WW1 and before,and nearly all in Irish regiments, one man had previously served in the Royal Garrison Regiment( a previously unknown regiment to me),this is just an observation but I have never seen any of those people wearing a poppy to honour their relatives:confused: and I wonder if the shamrock poppy would be worn by them.
    Your family have had a wide and varied service in the British,Canadian, and Irish services,which is not unlike alot of Irish families, my own runs the whole gamut from WW1,Old IRA in the 20's,WW2 and on to the 1970's in NI, all with the British army,surprisingly none with Oglaigh na hEireann.I hold them all in equal esteem and the July National Day of Remembrance ticks all my boxes:) but I agree with you that a more formal arrangement needs to be devised for November 11th.:)

When people bring up buying a poppy I just ask why I or anyone would want <<<MOD EDIT>>>>

1 week ban for trolling.
    Moderator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

It may be meant initially as a symbol of remembrance but people in its favour have not addressed some of the more commercial aspects.

it was initially a symbol of remembrance AND a mechanism of raising funds for wounded and needy ex service personnel.

Whilst some of the extra stuff today is undoubtedly tacky, it reflects the modern world of charity fundraising. The RBL/poppy appeal is a charity that is trying to attract funds like so many other charities. Setting up rehab centres, physiotherapy, helping find work or setup businesses etc is expensive and gets more expensive each year. But that's more about modern economics and marketing than rather history/heritage. Doesn't come into my decision making process - e.g. will I or won't I wear a symbol for charity XYZ because it sells tacky stuff?

What has not been discussed is the history of the poppy from an idea by an American lady based on a poem by a Canadian doctor, developed by a French lady and expanded/adopted/evolved in a number of countries. Nor has there been any comparisons with other symbols and other charities.

While I will wear a poppy and have no problem with the Easter Lily, I would never wear a symbol such as a crucifix. A BNP or Orange Order symbol would be equally repugnant.

How true to it's original concept is the RBL/poppy? How does it compare with other charitable enterprises, for example, the Irish Hospitals' Sweepstakes?

How did the running of a factory for disabled ex-service personnel making poppies compare with the running of a Magdalene Laundry?

All sorts of potential options for discussion but the thread title merely asks a closed question about wearing or not wearing a poppy and I would suspect that there was never any intent for any historical discussion.

I got my Irish poppy yesterday from the address provided in Co. Clare, and very nice it is, too. It's now on my shooting jacket as I go out this morning, alongside my poppies and maple leaf badge that reflects the other half of my heritage, and the youth spent or given every man in my family between 1914 and 2000.

As for the reasons why anybody else would wear such a thing or not, I could frankly care less, except to say that a whole lot of folks here 'doth protest to much'.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Balaclava1991

To explain why the wearing of the poppy is controversial today you have to understand what happened between 1913 and 1922.

At the turn of the 20th century, the Irish Parliamentary Party were opposed to participation in the Boer War and the likes of John McBride who was a friend of Arthur Griffith of Sinn Féin and Arthur Lynch, who later became a IPP MP, both raised Irish units to fight on the side of the Boers against the British.

The majority of people who were members of the Irish National Volunteers which split from the Irish Volunteers ( founded in 1913 to protect Home Rule) following the declaration of war in 1914 were middle class Irish farmers sons. Not long after the war began drilling of the INV fell off dramatically because they feared they would be conscripted.
    Home Rule had been passed in early 1914 leading to much celebration but its suspension following the beginning of the war discredited 30 years of campaigning by the Irish Parliamentary Party.
    Since the last election had been 1910 and many of the IPP MPs in the Commons were veterans of the Fenians and the Land War of the late 19th century, the older conservative Irish nationalist generation was out of touch with a younger radically and militantly republican generation that had come of age.
    These youngsters were involved in the GAA, the Gaelic League and increasingly gave their support to Sinn Féin.
    The change was already happening before the Easter Rising of 1916 and accelerated afterward as the executions of the rebels and the imprisonment of many more generated public sympathy.
    The crackdown by the RIC against republicans at public meetings of Sinn Féin, the arrest of agitators and baton charges against their supporters, the death of Thomas Ashe and continuous harassment of the younger generation increasing hatred for the Crown during 1917.
    In 1918 the Germans began their final Spring Offensive and drove nearly all the way to Paris before they were stopped and pushed back.
    The British threatened to introduce conscription and this confirmed the fears of young republicans who had by now become completely alienated from British rule and even the older generation had now abandoned the IPP and supported their sons' in their campaign to prevent their conscription into the army.
    When the German offensive was stopped and it was clear Germany was on the brick of collapse the threat of conscription evaporated and so too did much of the political heat.
    Nonetheless Sinn Féin secured an overwhelming majority and the IPP were obliterated in the December 1918 election immediately after the end of the war in November.
    When Dáil Éireann sat in 1919 Sinn Féin became the target of the RIC who arrested and imprisoned most of its elected members while others were forced on the run.
    Law and order broke down as the Crown courts, the Crown government and the RIC were boycotted and were targeted for assassination while republicans set up their own courts and police force and won the loyalty of the population.
    The British responded with martial law, flooded the country with troops and unleashed the Black and Tans and Auxiliaries on the Irish people - terrorizing not just radical republicans but also constitutional nationalists.
    Any residual respect for the Crown was gone and much of the population despite their misgivings about their terror tactics was behind the IRA.
    Many men like Tom Barry who fought in WWI in British uniform, joined the IRA when they witnessed friends murdered by the Black and Tans.
    In 1922 when the Irish independence was secured the majority of men who had served in the disbanded Irish regiments of the British Army threw in their lot with the Free State Army which by the end of the Civil War in 1923 numbered 50-60,000.

So there was a completely psychological break.

The tens of thousands of Irishmen who fought bravely in the Great War were forgotten and erased from history and they kept their head down in the years after independence and instead of cenotaphs to the war dead there were memorials to men of the IRA flying columns.

Some of my ancestors fought in the British Army, some were in the RIC but others were in the IRA and the Free State Army.

The Bloody Sunday Massacre in 1972 and the behavior of the B-Specials and the RIC during the Troubles revived memories of the War of Independence and has kept the hatred of the British Army and the poppy alive.

Wearing the poppy is still very much a "West Brit" identifier.
    Even members of Fine Gael would not be seen dead wearing on.

So if we are going to commemorate the Irish war dead of World War I and World War II then an alternative symbol is going to have to be found.

So if we are going to commemorate the Irish war dead of World War I and World War II then an alternative symbol is going to have to be found.

A new thread, then, at least so we can leave all the obvious hate on one part of this forum. And make it an 'Irish people' only thread, which will happily exclude me, for obvious reasons.

...and meanwhile, your suggestion for an emblem is...............................?

tac

What's truly amazing is the fact that the poppy can be regarded as a "west Brit identifier" while a football jersey can't?

Objections are voiced about the poppy being worn, but no one seems to bat an eye lid over someone wearing an Arsenal jersey (given their origins) or wearing a Manchester United, Liverpool or Chelsea jersey (some of whose players served in the Football Battalion in the Middlesex Regiment).

They support a sport not organised on an all island / all Ireland basis, that has veins of sectarianism running through it and wear the colours of teams who compete abroad in competitions some of which are organised under the supervision of the Football Association, whose president is the Duke of Cambridge.....

Wear a modestly priced ceramic pin and you're a west Brit; spend €70 on a Man U jersey and you're not - who says the Irish don't have the most wonderful sense of irony!

After years posting on this forum I am still amazed how some people cannot see past the Nationalist vs. Unionist positions in a discussions. I have on numerous times over the last 6 pages tried to broaden the discussion into a broader discussion but people from both sides of the same old battle continue to repeat their same old mantra. The funniest thing about this is how similar the opposing 'forces' are!!!
    It is ironic indeed to notice that our friend potatoeman [sic] chooses to write his posts in the English language and not Irish.
    Had it not been for the timely interference of many others who spoke the English language, this post and all preceding it may well have been written in either German, or, far more likely, Russian.
    A few romantic fools alright. Youre talking about GDP but that does not reflect where the money is going or who is getting it. People adapted to life under British rule and adjusted but it was an occupation. I noticed you didnt mention the famine in your response eithrer. That alone made the occupation negative for Ireland.
    Rebelheart wrote: »
    A terminally-ill person who fought for the glories of the British Empire is still somebody who fought for the British Empire and all its supremacism over other peoples. As such, it is only fitting that all British people who support imperialism should have a right to support those who fought for it, just as all Germans who support Nazism should have a right to support those who fought for it.
    A new thread, then, at least so we can leave all the obvious hate on one part of this forum. And make it an 'Irish people' only thread, which will happily exclude me, for obvious reasons.

Oh and Thread closed by the way as it is going nowhere due to posts such as the random selection quoted.
    moderator.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement