Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Execution squad Kilmainham Jail 1916

• 01-03-2011 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭

Apoligies if this has been asked before, but I am curious to know about the execution squads at Kilmainham Jail 1916. Does anyone know the British Army regiment involved, also would anyone know the names or origins of the men who formed the Firing squad and where they were from ? (I believe I may have once read about this but did not take note at the time).

Second to that, does anyone have information in this particular instance (not in general but this specific instance) was this a volunteer role ? Or were the men 'volunteered' into this duty ?

Who were the witnesses present ? I presume a Catholic and Protestant clergy - aside from those were media present either at the jail or within sight of the shootings over the course of any or all of the execution days ? Any other onlookers of note ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

Morlar wrote: »
    Apoligies if this has been asked before, but I am curious to know about the execution squads at Kilmainham Jail 1916. Does anyone know the British Army regiment involved, also would anyone know the names or origins of the men who formed the Firing squad and where they were from ? (I believe I may have once read about this but did not take note at the time).

Second to that, does anyone have information in this particular instance (not in general but this specific instance) was this a volunteer role ? Or were the men 'volunteered' into this duty ?

Who were the witnesses present ? I presume a Catholic and Protestant clergy - aside from those were media present either at the jail or within sight of the shootings over the course of any or all of the execution days ? Any other onlookers of note ?

i read somewhere that the Sherwood Foresters made up some of the firing squads and i think the Royal Fusiliers but i may be corrected on that.

i have an officers account of one of the shooting somewhere and it said that an irish officer was asked to command one of the firing squads but declined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

This thread on the Great War Forum has similar questions

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=154652

And the Sub-forum itself might be worth checking through

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showforum=111

Advertisement