Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your New WHS Index

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Rikand wrote: »
    We had 32 scores in

About half were NRs though which I suppose could throw off the algorithm as there isnt supposed to be NRs. Some of our members are taking time to adjust to new procedures ... :pac:

I filled in a markers score and on holes where they had no score, it automatically puts them in for a net double so I would assume it does the same for your own counting score when entering..... so not sure why they are coming out at NR still.... unless they just signed up to play and either didn't complete the process themselves or their marker didn't approve their score.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Seve OB wrote: »
    I filled in a markers score and on holes where they had no score, it automatically puts them in for a net double so I would assume it does the same for your own counting score when entering..... so not sure why they are coming out at NR still.... unless they just signed up to play and either didn't complete the process themselves or their marker didn't approve their score.

I thought if you don't enter a score on a particular hole it automatically gives you +5 for that hole?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I thought if you don't enter a score on a particular hole it automatically gives you +5 for that hole?

Its double par for handicap setting purposes

where did you get that from?

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Its double par for handicap setting purposes

ah yea, that makes sense, so for initial handicap.

after that, capped @ net double I think makes sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,339 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Seve OB wrote: »

Sorry I meant NR equivalent. They didnt return their cards,so our competitions team had to spend hours last night manually entering them so they got the nett double bogeys. Lots of scores of 120-140 returned on the day for them.

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Only one day in our place it wasn't 0. It was 2 on that day FWIW

Much heavier reliance on Cat 1 and Cat 2 golfers in the calc

Ah that would explain it maybe. Only a handful of those played. 1 cat1 and about 4 cat2s

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

prawnsambo wrote: »
    That's correct. The playing handicap is only used for competition purposes and not handicap calculation. So you won't see it used on the Golf Ireland portal.

But hold on.. am I right in saying that the playing handicap is your effective handicap in the competition you're playing in? if that's the case, you need to see your playing handicap before you go out and when you enter your score to see where you have shots. In a v par competition, this is important. I don't understand why this wouldn't be shown on the Golf Ireland portal or howdidido. It's about 95% of your course handicap. Am I expected to do the calculation in my head and then write down my PLAYING handicap on my card so I know where I'll have shots? My playing handicap wasn't displayed when I signed in for my competition at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,008 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Pdoghue wrote: »
    But hold on.. am I right in saying that the playing handicap is your effective handicap in the competition you're playing in? if that's the case, you need to see your playing handicap before you go out and when you enter your score to see where you have shots. In a v par competition, this is important. I don't understand why this wouldn't be shown on the Golf Ireland portal or howdidido. It's about 95% of your course handicap. Am I expected to do the calculation in my head and then write down my PLAYING handicap on my card so I know where I'll have shots? My playing handicap wasn't displayed when I signed in for my competition at the weekend.
    Yes, playing handicap is effective for the competition being played. Howdidido should show both when you sign in. I know HandicapMaster does. You actually should write your course handicap on the card and playing handicap may be written in the 'strokes received' box, but it's not essential from a rules point of view. Your playing handicap may differ depending on the format being played. Golf Ireland doesn't need this for handicap calculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

The playing handicap (95% of your course handicap) will only show on HandicapMaster and equivalents if you have entered into a competition. If you have entered to register a general play score it will only show your Course Handicap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Rikand wrote: »
    Sorry I meant NR equivalent. They didnt return their cards,so our competitions team had to spend hours last night manually entering them so they got the nett double bogeys. Lots of scores of 120-140 returned on the day for them.

Was wondering about this myself at our club.

Various people have no returns against them when viewing on Masters Scoreboard results.

But when i look at their Golf Ireland scores on the app these no returns aren't listed.

Essentially keeping bad rounds off their 20 most recent?!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Not related to the new system but Howdidido just posted congratulations to a golfer in Scotland who had a net 37 in his monthly medal.
    91-54=37

When "it just clicks" playing off 54 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Yes, playing handicap is effective for the competition being played. Howdidido should show both when you sign in. I know HandicapMaster does. You actually should write your course handicap on the card and playing handicap may be written in the 'strokes received' box, but it's not essential from a rules point of view. Your playing handicap may differ depending on the format being played. Golf Ireland doesn't need this for handicap calculation.

Ok, I'll have to check that next weekend on howdidido. When I signed in last weekend, I was presented with course rating, WHS index and course handicap. Thus, I wasn't sure what my actual playing handicap was going out onto the course. When I entered my score afterwards, I still couldn't see my playing handicap. It was only when I entered all my scores for the 18 holes (v par comp) that I deducted my actual playing handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

PARlance wrote: »
    Not related to the new system but Howdidido just posted congratulations to a golfer in Scotland who had a net 37 in his monthly medal.
    91-54=37

When "it just clicks" playing off 54 :)

Isn't 54 the maximum you can get? It could be that he's playing a couple of years and was given the 54 at the start and this is his first comp? 91 is definitely very possible after a couple of years (serious) casual golf with some lessons. Sub-95 regularly is my goal for this year and I am playing 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

PARlance wrote: »
    a golfer in Scotland who had a net 37 in his monthly medal.
    91-54=37

Congrats, he finished just outside the prizes by all accounts :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Does anyone have the screenshot that shows how many cards go towards your handicap if you only have e.g 11 cards submitted. I think it's a table for at. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Poker Face

Keith C wrote: »
    Does anyone have the screenshot that shows how many cards go towards your handicap if you only have e.g 11 cards submitted. I think it's a table for at. Thanks

https://www.randa.org/Rules-of-Handicapping/2019/Rules/The-Rules-of-Handicapping/Rule-5#5-2a

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

It certainly takes getting used to WHS. I played 2 9s at the weekend. First one, I beat my handicap by 1 and my index dropped 0.6. Second one, I beat my handicap by 2 and my index went up by 0.1! All down to the score which fell from 20 to 21 and so outside the calculation in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Russman

It certainly takes getting used to WHS. I played 2 9s at the weekend. First one, I beat my handicap by 1 and my index dropped 0.6. Second one, I beat my handicap by 2 and my index went up by 0.1! All down to the score which fell from 20 to 21 and so outside the calculation in my case.

Its a bit of a change alright isn't it.

I think the main thing to remember is that its absolutely nothing at all like the previous system !
    We were only chatting the other day about how two fellas off the same handicap could come in, both having 38pts, and one could go up and one could go down in handicap.

As an aside, do we think are we moving towards a more US approach to golf, with guys counting their casual rounds (albeit pre-notified) towards their handicap, or will most people just stick to weekend competitions only, and a midweek nine after work will still just be practice ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

Russman wrote: »

I think the main thing to remember is that its absolutely nothing at all like the previous system !
    We were only chatting the other day about how two fellas off the same handicap could come in, both having 38pts, and one could go up and one could go down in handicap.

As an aside, do we think are we moving towards a more US approach to golf, with guys counting their casual rounds (albeit pre-notified) towards their handicap, or will most people just stick to weekend competitions only, and a midweek nine after work will still just be practice ?

I think most will stick to competitions when they're back up and running properly. If someone is determined to get their handicap lower and are in a good run of form, then they might submit more casual rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

OEP wrote: »
    I think most will stick to competitions when they're back up and running properly. If someone is determined to get their handicap lower and are in a good run of form, then they might submit more casual rounds.

IIRC you need at least 8 people on the day to also put in cards (casual or comp) in order to calculate the PCC.

Does anyone know if there is a competition midweek, can I put in a casual 9 holes after work and it can count?

IIRC you need at least 8 people on the day to also put in cards (casual or comp) in order to calculate the PCC.

Does anyone know if there is a competition midweek, can I put in a casual 9 holes after work and it can count?
    Your score will still count, just no PCC applied. Afaik, you can put in casual scores anytime. So long as you have a marker and do the usual sign in before hand.

Was wondering about this myself at our club.

Various people have no returns against them when viewing on Masters Scoreboard results.

But when i look at their Golf Ireland scores on the app these no returns aren't listed.

Essentially keeping bad rounds off their 20 most recent?!
    Are you sure about this? NRs are counted on WHS, but each hole scored as nett double bogey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Russman wrote: »

It'll be a big cultural change I think. Normally I would play competitions to play as well as I can and hopefully win a prize. Not winning a prize but beating my handicap and thus lowering my handicap would be a nice consolation which I would see as soon as the club uploaded the score. Now that is gone and I can predict what my handicap will be before the round even starts.

It'll be a big cultural change I think. Normally I would play competitions to play as well as I can and hopefully win a prize. Not winning a prize but beating my handicap and thus lowering my handicap would be a nice consolation which I would see as soon as the club uploaded the score. Now that is gone and I can predict what my handicap will be before the round even starts.
    I must be missing something here, but how can you predict your handicap if you haven't even hit a ball?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭lob020

Can someone explain this. I played 9 hole casual golf during the week and pre registered for WHS on golf Ireland. My score was 8 shots worse than my handicap over the 9 holes, in fact my worst score in last 30 rounds, but my handicap index went from 15.2 to 15.It would be great if some expert can advise, please
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

It uses an average of your best 8. Your worst should never affect your handicap.

As to why it went up I'm not sure. Work out the average of your best 8 out of the last 20 and see if it matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭lob020

That's right, something very wrong with system, my index should have stayed the same or increased.I would be very interested in explanation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Can you list your last 21 scores? (+10,+15 etc or strokes over par)

Were they all on the same course? Same PCC?

• Advertisement

lob020 wrote: »
    Can someone explain this. I played 9 hole casual golf during the week and pre registered for WHS on golf Ireland. My score was 8 shots worse than my handicap over the 9 holes, in fact my worst score in last 30 rounds, but my handicap index went from 15.2 to 15.It would be great if some expert can advise, please
    Thanks

I'm sorry that you failed in your attempt to build your handicap...

I'm kidding, I'm kidding!!!! :P

Advertisement