27-04-2021, 11:51   #526
Seanachai

Quote:
Originally Posted by leinsterdude View Post
Hi all, I have been prescribed tyvense, starting next week, any comments or experiences ?
Is this your first ADHD medication? From what I've read they usually start with Ritalin in Ireland.
Advertisement
28-04-2021, 06:37   #527
leinsterdude

Meds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanachai View Post
Is this your first ADHD medication? From what I've read they usually start with Ritalin in Ireland.
Yes first time, see how it goes.
Thanks from:
01-05-2021, 09:14   #528
leinsterdude

three days in on Tyvense, all good so far.
(2) thanks from:
07-05-2021, 10:31   #529
Feu

Hi everyone

just been made aware of a new service Dr Alan Murtagh. He leads the ADHD clinic in St John of Gods private hospital, and has now set up a private practice - needs to be GP referral. Will do new assessment but also a good option for those who might have a diagnosis from a psychologist, and need to see psychiatrist to start meds
https://dralanmurtagh.com/contact-us/
Thanks from:
07-05-2021, 13:08   #530
LadySkunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feu View Post
Hi everyone

just been made aware of a new service Dr Alan Murtagh. He leads the ADHD clinic in St John of Gods private hospital, and has now set up a private practice - needs to be GP referral. Will do new assessment but also a good option for those who might have a diagnosis from a psychologist, and need to see psychiatrist to start meds
https://dralanmurtagh.com/contact-us/
Hi Feu, lurker of this thread can I ask do you know how much he costs? I’ve been having trouble getting a psychiatrists appointment both publicly and privately and am currently being assessed for suspected ADHD.

I’ll be in with my GP soon so getting a referral to Dr Murtagh would be great I just have no idea how much private costs and have been trying to find out how much I will need for so long with no luck.
Advertisement
07-05-2021, 13:14   #531
Feu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadySkunk View Post
Hi Feu, lurker of this thread can I ask do you know how much he costs? I’ve been having trouble getting a psychiatrists appointment both publicly and privately and am currently being assessed for suspected ADHD.

I’ll be in with my GP soon so getting a referral to Dr Murtagh would be great I just have no idea how much private costs and have been trying to find out how much I will need for so long with no luck.

Hi sorry should have put it in there, it's €650. Which is actually in the lower end of the cost scale for this. And he really knows his stuff. Best part, should be very little waiting list
07-05-2021, 19:44   #532
LadySkunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feu View Post
Hi sorry should have put it in there, it's €650. Which is actually in the lower end of the cost scale for this. And he really knows his stuff. Best part, should be very little waiting list
Thank you very much. I’ve booked in with my GP for next week and will ask for a referral. This thread has been a real life saver quite literally.

I was losing all hope waiting to be seen after ending up in A&E in December and still searching for answers as to what was wrong with me. It was because of the information you posted I found a place that did psychological screening which I jumped on as I had suspicions of BPD, Bipolar 2 and only recently the possibility of ADHD but I so never really understood it. Now every bit of information I devour I feel like so much is starting to make sense.

I’m working with someone now who for the first time in my life I feel truly understands what I’m saying and for the first time in forever I feel like I have hope which is a bit unbelievable. I’ve a long way to go but just thank you so much from the bottom of my heart
Thanks from:
07-05-2021, 21:56   #533

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadySkunk View Post

I was losing all hope waiting to be seen after ending up in A&E in December and still searching for answers as to what was wrong with me. It was because of the information you posted I found a place that did psychological screening which I jumped on as I had suspicions of BPD, Bipolar 2 and only recently the possibility of ADHD but I so never really understood it. Now every bit of information I devour I feel like so much is starting to make sense.
Those 3 conditions overlap so much, I'm in a similar boat myself.
(2) thanks from:
16-05-2021, 09:28   #534
Coralcoras

Looking for information. Other than medications and lifestyle changes to behaviour such as exercise and eating and sleeping well, what therapies are out there in Ireland to compliment the above?

Also is there any one thing that is a true game changer for you?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-05-2021, 15:37   #535
Feu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralcoras View Post
Looking for information. Other than medications and lifestyle changes to behaviour such as exercise and eating and sleeping well, what therapies are out there in Ireland to compliment the above?

I'll just reply to the first part

I think the best therapy for ADHDers is:
1. The person actually understands ADHD/neurodivergence, and doesn't just say they do.
2. Some people find an ADHD Coach good, but qualifications differ. Investigate.
3. A strengths based approach from a counsellor/coach that has ADHD, as https://www.thrivingautistic.ie/ are offering. (i have no affiliation to them! But i can understand completely wanting support from someone who really gets it) (despite the name, they support anyone who is autistic/ADHD/dyspraxic/dyslexic etc).

4. I am biased, and think Occupational Therapy is a super support for supporting someone to make those lifestyle changes you mention, but also taking a holistic approach to looking in detail at what you want to change/improve and making a plan to help do that.

5. With the lockdowns and that, there is a lot more access to webinars/conferences/talks that you might find helpful, so do look around, AND possibly a therapist that might be say based in UK, who you could now see remotely.
Thanks from:
18-05-2021, 14:45   #536
LadySkunk

I got my referral sent to Dr. Murtagh last week and got an appointment for early September sent out today.

It’s a video assessment, I think all appointments might be like that as it has on the letter that it’s tele-psychiatry assessments so might be worth giving them a ring to double check in case that doesn’t work for you.

I’ll have to figure something out myself as I’ve no quiet space with privacy at home so a bit of a nightmare but it’s an appointment all the same and heard back very quickly which is great. My GP spoke very highly of him too so will be worth making it work
Thanks from:
25-05-2021, 08:10   #537
leinsterdude

Best of luck, one month into meds now, aged 45 male, very good so far.
(4) thanks from:
25-05-2021, 14:26   #538
fastminds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralcoras View Post

ADHD specific life coaching is a game changer. Heather Blackmore is the best out there in my opinion, she changed my life - so much so I have trained to be one myself. Couldn't recommend her enough. From personal experience on both sides of the fence, I think it's critically important that the person you're working with either has ADHD themselves, or at the very least, a child with it.

Last edited by fastminds; 25-05-2021 at 14:31.
28-05-2021, 16:39   #539
PTH2009

Anyone have any experience using these guys service ??

https://cork-counselling-and-psychology.com/

Looking to get an autism assessment, had one booked before covid with Lighthouse in Dunmore but can't get back in contact with them
01-06-2021, 14:32   #540

Assessment tomorrow afternoon - will give an update on how it goes.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion