Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eoghan Murphy TD resigns...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭archfi

skimpydoo wrote: »
    James Geoghegan who until recently was a member of Renua. How does Leo trust someone with no real pedigree who is also ex Renua?
    Isn't (or wasn't) one of Leo's closest friends growing up wihin the FG ranks/university, Lucinda?

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Am I the only one who thinks that Kate O'Connell is a relentless self-publicist, more a member of the Me Fein party rather then Fine Gael.

And a for those carefully posed glammed up photos of her appearing in the Indo: ugh! As for Geoghegan being ex-Renua, what's wrong with that? An ability to change one's mind is in many circumstances a virtue.

Plus Leo & Lucinda are still mates AFAIK...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Ah but both his parents and two grandparents were Supreme Court judges. Where is the 'Laura Norder' party going to find a more perfect candidate?:P

I actually threw up in my mouth a bit reading that.

Any chance of a normal candidate? :)

Government never do well in by-elections, but I think Hazel Chu will get the vote.
    I'd be surprised if she didn't, Eammon Ryan has no choice but to support her (he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't)

on a side note about Eoghan Murphy, I wonder did he know about the Vulture funds buying up estates and just thought to himself "F**k This..."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Augme

As for Geoghegan being ex-Renua, what's wrong with that? An ability to change one's mind is in many circumstances a virtue.

I've some magic beans to sell you if you believe that.

An ability to jump a sinking ship is is in many circumstances an essential skill for a budding politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Am I the only one who thinks that Kate O'Connell is a relentless self-publicist, more a member of the Me Fein party rather then Fine Gael.

And a for those carefully posed glammed up photos of her appearing in the Indo: ugh! As for Geoghegan being ex-Renua, what's wrong with that? An ability to change one's mind is in many circumstances a virtue.

Just watch. In the Sindo this week they'll be a hit piece on FG blaming "misogyny" and choir boys, while in fact it's her b***hy personality that would have more to do with it.

• Advertisement

Just watch. In the Sindo this week they'll be a hit piece on FG blaming "misogyny" and choir boys, while in fact it's her b***hy personality that would have more to do with it.

I wouldn't be a fan of hers to be honest.
    But in fairness, women do need to be "B***y" in a male dominated environment, otherwise they get no where.
    I think her and her husband have a few pharmacies anyway so I'm sure they'll be grand... It amazes me that people that have it so comfy in life get into politics, and people seem to vote for them.. weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

I think her and her husband have a few pharmacies anyway so I'm sure they'll be grand... It amazes me that people that have it so comfy in life get into politics, and people seem to vote for them.. weird.

You mean like Mary Lou and Eoin O Brien, both of whom were privately educated? Doesn't' Mary Lou own a couple houses.

You mean like Mary Lou and Eoin O Brien, both of whom were privately educated? Doesn't' Mary Lou own a couple houses.

I think every person that's in their 50's that was lucky enough to go to college in mid 80s/early 90s, owns a couple of houses!

Sure aren't 25% of them (TD's) Landlords now in 2021?

The wealth divide between "Standard TD material", and the average Joe is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,529 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Plus Leo & Lucinda are still mates AFAIK...

I wonder if he has sent her any confidential documents. Leo loves to do this for his mates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I wouldn't be a fan of hers to be honest.
    But in fairness, women do need to be "B***y" in a male dominated environment, otherwise they get no where.

I think her comments in the Dáil after the referendum and the tone she delivered them in pissed off a lot more people than you'd imagine-even a lot of those who were on her side in the campaign. The bullying pretty rich girl who's had her own way her whole life is not an archetype people warm to.

• Advertisement

sabat wrote: »
    I think her comments in the Dáil after the referendum and the tone she delivered them in pissed off a lot more people than you'd imagine-even a lot of those who were on her side in the campaign. The bullying pretty rich girl who's had her own way her whole life is not an archetype people warm to.

I don't think she comes from major wealth or a political/legal family though?
    She's from Westmeath like.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PunkIPA

skimpydoo wrote: »
    James Geoghegan who until recently was a member of Renua. How does Leo trust someone with no real pedigree who is also ex Renua?

According to the profile in the Indo or Times last week, Cllr. Geoghegan left Renua in 2016, at the same time as Creighton.

I'm not sure I would consider an event that happened five years ago "until recently".

In any event, the party at that time was basically the PDs 2.0. To the right of FG on economic issues - some fairly interesting but unachievable stuff on tax reform and significant criminal justice reform with minimum mandatory sentences etc.

After the ex-FG people like Geoghegan and Creighton left the party, it was basically taken over by an extremist fringe. It's a completely different entity now than it was in 2016.

I read the party's manifesto in 2016 and there is actually a good deal of lefty stuff there about renewable energy and all that stuff.

Zero mention of abortion, for example.

I would challenge you to read the 2016 manifesto and point to anything in it that would be dramatically out of place in a FG manifesto today, beyond the flat-tax idea and the three strikes policy.

http://michaelpidgeon.com/manifestos/docs/renua/Renua%20GE%202016.pdf

N.B. History has proven them right in at least one regard - total opposition to the St. James's site for the NCH. Maybe if Creighton got elected in 2016 we wouldn't have spunked €2.5bn of taxpayers money

PunkIPA wrote: »
    According to the profile in the Indo or Times last week, Cllr. Geoghegan left Renua in 2016, at the same time as Creighton.

I'm not sure I would consider an event that happened five years ago "until recently".

I wonder if feelers were put out to the bould Lucinda to see if she was interested in a comeback in the by-election. Whole abortion issue is now settled so I doubt there's much lingering bad feeling. She certainly possess what appears to be the main credential for this contest, ie the 'right gender'.

Speaking of which, Deirdre Conroy, who I believe is the former Deirdre de Barra, is seeking the FF nomination
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/dublin-bay-south-byelection-ff-councillor-deirdre-conroy-to-seek-nomination-1.4561783

Would certainly ensure FF are not outflanked among the D4 liberals...

Seemingly FG looking to fast-track the by-election
    in order to take advantage of its head start on Sinn Fein in the contest, and to avoid a possible anti-government swing in the autumn as Covid restrictions wind down.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fine-gael-seeking-early-by-election-dublin-bay-south-w8fgp03vn

Not really getting the SF bit tbh. They would not generally be expected to be FG's main challenger from the left in this sort of constituency. But on the other hand if there is such a massive swing to SF across the country over the housing issue, then it won't matter when the vote is held or who the FG candidate is...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Jizique

I wonder if feelers were put out to the bould Lucinda to see if she was interested in a comeback in the by-election. Whole abortion issue is now settled so I doubt there's much lingering bad feeling. She certainly possess what appears to be the main credential for this contest, ie the 'right gender'.

Speaking of which, Deirdre Conroy, who I believe is the former Deirdre de Barra, is seeking the FF nomination
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/dublin-bay-south-byelection-ff-councillor-deirdre-conroy-to-seek-nomination-1.4561783

Would certainly ensure FF are not outflanked among the D4 liberals...

Another barrister, just what the country needs to ensure the survival of the tribunal class; I hear the investigation into Covid is happening next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yeah Lucinda is biding her time before parachuting back with FG colours

This isn’t the right time for her though

One question - when does Murphy pick up his “pension” and how much will it be?
    I really have an issue with him picking up any kind of a stipend before his “official retirement date”?
    I wondr how much the 3 Marys (Harney, Hannafin and Coughlan) pull from the state monthly, all still well below their official retirement age.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Marcos

I'm not sure of how much of a pension he gets, but AFAIK know Ministers are eligible to pick up their pension at 50 years of age. I'm sure someone on here would be able to confirm or deny that.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Jizique wrote: »
    I really have an issue with him picking up any kind of a stipend before his “official retirement date”?
    I wondr how much the 3 Marys (Harney, Hannafin and Coughlan) pull from the state monthly, all still well below their official retirement age.

He will get the pension at 65, which for him is in 2047.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

This is the deal that Daragh Murphy got, Eoghan was a full minister so add a bit on for that,

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30968563.html

• Advertisement

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    He will get the pension at 65, which for him is in 2047.

Haha - that’s what you think, and that’s what they want us to think.
    I am sure I heard he would have to wait two years for it.

Haha - that’s what you think, and that’s what they want us to think.
    I am sure I heard he would have to wait two years for it.

You read that one off Facebook I suppose.

Eoghan Murphy will be getting his pension, relative to his length of time as a TD/Minister, at 65 in 2047.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Jizique wrote:
    One question - when does Murphy pick up his “pension†and how much will it be? I really have an issue with him picking up any kind of a stipend before his “official retirement date� I wondr how much the 3 Marys (Harney, Hannafin and Coughlan) pull from the state monthly, all still well below their official retirement age.

I don't know what your career is but I'd guess you wouldn't like for you to be kicked out of your job after five years, and I'm definitely sure you would object if you couldn't get any pension entitlements earned from your work.

Marcos wrote:
    I'm not sure of how much of a pension he gets, but AFAIK know Ministers are eligible to pick up their pension at 50 years of age. I'm sure someone on here would be able to confirm or deny that.

It's common enough for pension schemes to allow you draw down from age 50 up. Gardai can retire early for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

She should start a new party... waste of time going back to fg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Actually her as fg leader as she isn't a weak populist kite flyer, would actually be a great coup for fg...

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    You read that one off Facebook I suppose.

Eoghan Murphy will be getting his pension, relative to his length of time as a TD/Minister, at 65 in 2047.

Hate to disappoint you but i am not on FB; I know he gets 65k wind-down payment over 8 months, but getting redundancy for opting to leave your job voluntarily is bizarre.

Hate to disappoint you but i am not on FB; I know he gets 65k wind-down payment over 8 months, but getting redundancy for opting to leave your job voluntarily is bizarre.

You were asking about his pension, which he will get in 2047 when he turns 65. Not in 2 years as you claimed you read somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

The banks do it as well, lots of executives resigned after the crash and got a lump sum,

I don't know what your career is but I'd guess you wouldn't like for you to be kicked out of your job after five years, and I'm definitely sure you would object if you couldn't get any pension entitlements earned from your work.

It's common enough for pension schemes to allow you draw down from age 50 up. Gardai can retire early for example.

He wasn’t kicked out of his job, he is still a TD.
    I have no objection to him getting a pension, but I do object to him (a) not being able to fund it himself from contributions made from his well paid job, just as I do, and (b) being able to draw it down before his constituents are.

The pension arrangements for guards (and Defence force members) are a separate issue and worthy of a further thread.

• Advertisement

The banks do it as well, lots of executives resigned after the crash and got a lump sum,

He is not working for a bank. He is not taking a redundancy offer from a corporate.

He plans to go off to work on nuclear disarmament with some tax-free NGO, having previously worked in a tax free role for the UN, and good luck to him.

Advertisement