Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARGO Cargo Bike Assembly

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The canopy hangs down around the box, and I think you'd be ok round the front and sides,, but the problem is that you have to cleat it to the back of the box, and I think, while you could use longer elastic straps, you'd have a gap at the back that would let rain in just where a child would be sitting.

This isn't the cover, I have, but it's similar enough:

http://bicyclebelleboston.com/2015/09/29/installing-clarjis-bakfiets-canopy/

This is their canopy at the back; very similar to mine. There's a roll-up window that's nice on warmer days, but you can see that the back does hang approximately straight down.

IMG_3877-300x224.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭what_traffic

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I saw something in Woodies that would fix it better than electric tape. Sort of a clear patching material. If it ever gets bad, I'll use that.

Try a camping store, I got a clear epoxy resin years ago for tent repairs, should work for a canopy like this, worked well on the tent, still able to use it.

Thanks for all the tips @tomasrojo
    Probably may end buying a Clarjis canopy and modify the box to accommodate it.

Try a camping store, I got a clear epoxy resin years ago for tent repairs, should work for a canopy like this, worked well on the tent, still able to use it.
    Seamgrip from McNett
    https://outdoor.mcnett.eu/seamgrip/

thats what I use - they have other products, like tape that may also work?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

this stuff is great too. i;ve repaired 3 or 4 tears in my canopy with it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gorilla-Clear-Repair-Glue/dp/B00O1F4T9I

• Advertisement

Thanks, everyone. I'll keep an eye for these.

Getting Custom Waterproof Cushion made for the child seat
    Attachment not found.
    Will upload a pic when its done.

Custom Waterproof Cushion
    ARGO_CUSION_SMALL.jpg

515340.jpg

Never managed to source a 2nd hand rain cover since my last post, but now one is available.
    https://argobikes.com/products/raincanopy

Purchased it yesterday. €120 + €20 for shipping
    Hopefully it will be robust enough, does not look as heavy duty though as ones
    provided by Clarijs (based on price)
    https://en.clarijs-fietstassen.nl/collections/bakfietstenten-afdekzeilen

One thing - its not fully enclosed, but probably be sufficient for my needs. Will post update once it is has been installed.

how did you get it for 120?
    interested to see some photos when you get it, and whether it could be adapted for a bulllt (the blaq pak equivalent for the bullitt is 3x the price)

site_owner wrote: »
    how did you get it for 120?
    interested to see some photos when you get it, and whether it could be adapted for a bulllt (the blaq pak equivalent for the bullitt is 3x the price)

Whoops - you are right, good spot. Offering 30% discount if one filled out a 10min survey before October 31, 2020
    via newsletter:
    "
    (Because you have supported ARGO in the past, we are offering a special deal in exchange for a small amount of your time.)
    "

it says:
    The ARGO rain canopy is made of durable vinyl for lots of rides. The canopy hardware installs in 5 to 20 minutes. And from there, the canopy takes 3 to 5 minutes to add onto your ARGO when you need it.

• Advertisement

cool, is the discount code unqiue :)

cool, is the discount code unqiue :)

No idea, try "ConnectConnect30" before the 30th Oct

Attachment not found.
    ARGO Box Dimensions
    511281.jpg

looks similar in size to the shorter base bakfiets @tomasrojo

Here is the official one
    https://argobikes.com/pages/argo-dimensions

Also in a recent newsletter can now can buy a DASHBOX (a bit expensive considering one can create similar features with regular box with a bit of DIY skills)
    https://argobikes.com/products/argo-dashbox

Does not look like one can buy the Dashbox instead of the regular box if purchasing the full kit.

In case anybody here is interested in purchasing; in todays Spring ARGO Cargo Bike Newsletter there is a discount code

For Europe
    We have a limited number of ARGO Cargo units available for 2021. Once these are gone, it will be at least 12 months before we have more units available to purchase. In the mean time, you now have a coupon for EU units here. It is 10% off of the price and will be the only discount available for the remaining units. The code is "AlmostSpringEU". It expires on March 15th, 2021 and is only for the EU ARGO Cargo Kit

This is pic of the back hook (the other hook is for the simple box cover)
    Pic_22_rr.jpg

550109.jpg

This is pic of the back buckle, this attach's rear or the canopy to the back hook
    Pic_23_rr.jpg
    550110.jpg

This is pic of the front of the box, this attach's front pole of the canopy to the box.
    Small Velcro stickers either side of the front fork
    Pic_24_rr.jpg
    550111.jpg

Rain Canopy on the box (has a buckle and strap - to hold down the front corners of the canopy )
    Pic_25_rr.jpg
    550112.jpg

Looks good!

thats a great looking setup! nice colors :)

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Looks good!

If I could only rotate the photos when using the
    [IMG][/IMG] tag?

thats a great looking setup! nice colors :)

Pure luck on the colors,
    The Canopy is pretty good, better than I thought when I originally opened the box. It should be able to fit any box of a similar size as it is designed to be pretty flexible in the way it is installed with its use of buckle and straps. Does not offer 100% rain protection, but should be fine for most of my needs.

• Advertisement

My cover just arrived today (hacking it to the bullitt)

The poles don't seem to connect tightly? I'm using tape to secure temporarily. Was yours the same?

My cover just arrived today (hacking it to the bullitt)

The poles don't seem to connect tightly? I'm using tape to secure temporarily. Was yours the same?

They are loose alright but only once removed from the canopy? An elasticated version would been nicer alight for the two long poles, have that system for a Vaude tent I bought 20yr; and it still works. I cannot see myself assembling the canopy on the fly when out and about.

ok, yeah, thats the same experience i have so. the metal connector between the 2 poles is very loose and i've dropped it a few times already.
    feeding the tubes thru the loops is also a bit of a pain so i agree i wouldnt be setting it up at the side of the road.

still trying to work out placement for the eyes and loops. its not easy to estimate what way the pole will bend. bit of trial and error so far.

how do you find coverage at the back towards the handlebars?

ok, yeah, thats the same experience i have so. the metal connector between the 2 poles is very loose and i've dropped it a few times already.
    feeding the tubes thru the loops is also a bit of a pain so i agree i wouldnt be setting it up at the side of the road.

still trying to work out placement for the eyes and loops. its not easy to estimate what way the pole will bend. bit of trial and error so far.

how do you find coverage at the back towards the handlebars?

Its fine for me currently, am thinking about putting in a detachable Velcro flap for very heavy rain conditions. Its more on my radar right now.

How did you get on with the fitting site_owner? Am sure you will have people interested in your endeavors.
    One thing I would say about the ARGO - is was designed for the local environment. (Denver Colarado)
    The box I got back in 2018 was plain plywood, a non-runner for a maritime climate; grand for 1km above sea level in a dry climate. They have been improving on things like this though in time as the boxes now all come painted, so maybe in time the Rain Canopy will improve as well.

I got it attached and it looks good but the fit is only ok

slightly too long so cant steer, would need to cut 5cm off the tent poles
    also, because its too long, its sitting a bit high at the front
    because of that, its a little wobbly, i think getting it tighter at the front would solve that (if i cut the tent poles...)

it also needs some eyelets or velcro to stop it flapping at the sides, which is not a big job either

i'm kind of 50:50 at the minute, might try return it, but i got stung for taxes that i presume i wont get back.
    if i modify it, then i wont be able to return it, and I'm not 100% confident that of whether modifying it would fully solve the issues

552520.jpg

552521.jpg

Thats a pity, the front setup of the Bullit is challenging.
    Did you explore installing to the inside of the box to be able steer?
    Not sure will cutting the poles work, you lost the tension within the canopy.
    Maybe keep it (non-modified) and try and sell it second hand to an ARGO owner?

cutting it should work. the box shape on the bullitt means the front of the canopy is much higher than the box. by cutting the back end of them, it will push the canopy further down the poles and more inline with the shape. i'll take a photo later so you can see what i mean.

i tried installing the front mounts in a few differernt places. they really need to go out the front so that the frame bends the poles in the curved shape.

i tried installing the front mounts in a few differernt places. they really need to go out the front so that the frame bends the poles in the curved shape.
    True - if you were to install on the inside would need a few more or the brackets(installed on the lower front section of the box) to hold the poles in place.
    I will follow your lead as well on the side flapping issue. Need to buy me some decent velcro.
    Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement

Purchased the following for the canopy to reduce flapping in wind. (thanks site_owner for getting me moving on this)
    https://www.homefocus.ie/velcro-stick-on-black
    It is a similar product that came with the ARGO rain canopy i.e for the flaps on the very front of the box.
    The velcro glue is NOT strong enough for the job it needs to do here.

I tested the following glue (https://diy.evo-stik.co.uk/product/serious-glue) and it works very well on the canaopy and the painted wooden box.
    Will post photos once have them to hand.

Advertisement