Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Club Secretary Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭webpal

Are we to print teamsheets from Foireann now? I dont think you can add players to servasport anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Hi all

Are Club/County Secretary's any use when wanting to discuss sales proposals to Clubs/Countys?

Secretarys are generally the only contact available for Teams online and I find it very hard to garner a response from them (and they wouldn't be my target end customer anyway).

How would I go about finding contact details for Coaches/Management teams of Countys and Clubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

What are you selling ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

callaway92 wrote: »
    Hi all

Are Club/County Secretary's any use when wanting to discuss sales proposals to Clubs/Countys?

Secretarys are generally the only contact available for Teams online and I find it very hard to garner a response from them (and they wouldn't be my target end customer anyway).

How would I go about finding contact details for Coaches/Management teams of Countys and Clubs?
    Use combination of local papers, club websites to find coaches info or county boards.
    Do any county boards put up a handbook like rugby provinces do with info of all officers of the club?
    https://d2cx26qpfwuhvu.cloudfront.net/munster/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/26104714/Red-Book-20.21-revised.pdf

What are you selling ?

Data/Analysis solutions for Team Performance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Hi all

Simple answer is it all depends what you're selling.

Lack of response from a club or county secretary would indicate to me that they're either not interested in whatever product or service you're offering, or else that they've already got a suppliers that they're happy with.

By the way, even if what you're offering is ultimately aimed at coaches/managers, you'll still have to go through officialdom such as secretaries & chairpersons anyway. Also, would be surprised if coaches/managers took any more kindly to cold calling or on-spec emails than secretaries do.

Still curious about what it is you're selling, though. If you told us, we might be able to better advise.

P.S. - I see you answered that last question while I was still typing it!

Good stuff. I guess it's the team manager(s) you need access to which is never straight forward.
    I generally message the PRO via their social media channels when looking for manager's details for challenge games etc.
    Big task though but probably worth it if you aren't getting any joy via the Runai.
    It probably varies from county to county as to what they publish online re club contact details.

Data/Analysis solutions for Team Performance

There we go. :)

To be honest, it's probably way above the level of 90% or more of "ordinary" grassroots GAA clubs. We get the odd email about it ourselves (maybe even from you!), but it's not something we've ever seriously considered.

You might have more hope at inter-county level, but obviously there's only a limited number of potential customers there, and many of them might already have this looked after already.

Yeh, in regards to what's on offer, there's nothing at this scale anyway.

A lot of 'live' stats stuff which are useless to be honest. Post-match reports etc are far more important (just from my own exp. for Soccer and Rugby Team Performance and analysis for Media)

To be honest, it's probably way above the level of 90% or more of "ordinary" grassroots GAA clubs. We get the odd email about it ourselves (maybe even from you!), but it's not something we've ever seriously considered.

You might have more hope at inter-county level, but obviously there's only a limited number of potential customers there, and many of them might already have this looked after already.

There is definitely a market there for Clubs though.

I'd obviously worry about the money they can spend but minimal analysis is still up for grabs and would be beneficial in my eyes anyway to what they do themselves.

Any club that takes themselves seriously should have it for their own analysis. Bigger clubs/Counties should have it then for player scouting/opposition analysis, insights etc.

In regards to Teams having it anyway. There's nothing at a decent level (from my knowledge).

• Advertisement

I dont see how it would be way above level of that many clubs and what are "ordinary" clubs btw?

A huge percentage of clubs senior sides as well as top intermediate sides would use video analysis if they can get it. Plenty of junior sides may think about it as well depending on the club, interest from coaches, players etc.

I dont see how it would be way above level of that many clubs and what are "ordinary" clubs btw?

A huge percentage of clubs senior sides as well as top intermediate sides would use video analysis if they can get it. Plenty of junior sides may think about it as well depending on the club, interest from coaches, players etc.

Jaysus. Out of everything I wrote above, I didn't think I'd be called on define what I mean by "ordinary club". But I'll let that one go, unless you really want to get into it. :)

For what it's worth, we've had just about all matches videoed ourselves for a good few years now, and team management and a couple of others review them all closely. I know many other "ordinary" (!) clubs do the same. But we've never considered engaging and paying for a professional third party to do the review and analysis.

Maybe we're just guilty of a misperception that it would be too expensive. Wonder if the poster here might be able to give a ballpark figure of what typical fees might be? And if that brings into the scope of what an "ordinary" ;) club might consider affordable after all, then that might change things....

Jaysus. Out of everything I wrote above, I didn't think I'd be called on define what I mean by "ordinary club". But I'll let that one go, unless you really want to get into it. :)

For what it's worth, we've had just about all matches videoed ourselves for a good few years now, and team management and a couple of others review them all closely. I know many other "ordinary" (!) clubs do the same. But we've never considered engaging and paying for a professional third party to do the review and analysis.

Maybe we're just guilty of a misperception that it would be too expensive. Wonder if the poster here might be able to give a ballpark figure of what typical fees might be? And if that brings into the scope of what an "ordinary" ;) club might consider affordable after all, then that might change things....

Having someone else beyond the regular coaching team review the tapes etc can bring something very different. different set of eyes and all that
    Doing video yourself can be done but do you break down the video like the third party can do?
    And you keep saying ordinary clubs. what is that and what makes a club be more than an ordinary club?

All right then, let's talk about what I mean by an "ordinary" club.

To me, an "ordinary" club is one like ourselves. Rural area. Membership fees €80 per adult player, €50 for non-player, and €20 underage. Operating at senior in one code, and intermediate in the other. Fairly competitive in both, but unfortunately, not actually successful. Last adult county title was back in 2008.

Total income for the year from all sources in the region of €80k to €90k, and every cent of it needed. Some years we might have a grand or two left over....other years, we spend more than we take in.

Finding maybe an extra €5,000 a year for professional analysis of eight or ten matches would be a tall order, if that's what it would cost. But again, maybe I'm way off with my guess as to the cost. That's why I'm wondering if we might get a ballpark figure here.

Now, while we're at it....an "extraordinary" club might be one of the larger clubs in Dublin, for example, where there could be 2,000 or more members, membership fees up to €300 per person, and total income from membership alone running into hundreds of thousands of euro each year. That's before you consider other income, from maybe a bar or function room, as well as all sorts of other stuff.

Finding say €5,000 in their annual budget of €500,000 or more wouldn't be as tall a task as finding €5,000 in our budget of €80,000.

I'm not saying in any way that professional analysis wouldn't have its uses. My point is that for many clubs, it probably seems unaffordable.

But ‘Video’ analysis is absolute bottom of the barrel stuff and kinda embarrassing to hear in 2021.

Again, even having worked with Amateur Rugby teams in the past (based in South Africa), video analysis is the absolute minimum that should be done.

Insights from a data provider, opposition analysis, pre/post match insights and scouting all are what is needed these days.

Teams not wishing to use it will simply fall behind. There’s no need to hire a million analysts for your own team then as a provider would be doing it for you.

But ‘Video’ analysis is absolute bottom of the barrel stuff and kinda embarrassing to hear in 2021.

Again, even having worked with Amateur Rugby teams in the past (based in South Africa), video analysis is the absolute minimum that should be done.

Insights from a data provider, opposition analysis, pre/post match insights and scouting all are what is needed these days.

Teams not wishing to use it will simply fall behind. There’s no need to hire a million analysts for your own team then as a provider would be doing it for you.

Hi again. :)

Look, realistic bottom line is that it would be a money thing.

I can obviously and immediately see the benefits that a service like yours could bring to our club. Could give us a significant advantage over our rivals and put us in a much better position to challenge for a senior county title.

But whether or not we could actually afford it is the key consideration. Any chance of a ballpark figure at all? PM me if you prefer. Would genuinely be interested to find out.

Hi again. :)

Look, realistic bottom line is that it would be a money thing.

I can obviously and immediately see the benefits that a service like yours could bring to our club. Could give us a significant advantage over our rivals and put us in a much better position to challenge for a senior county title.

But whether or not we could actually afford it is the key consideration. Any chance of a ballpark figure at all? PM me if you prefer. Would genuinely be interested to find out.

Yeh 100% money is the bottom line. There’s no two ways about that.

If you were at a club that had the money and don’t want to hear about the ideas though it’s an issue for sure. Same with Secretarys not passing the message on etc.

Ballpark figures would depend on the level of data required but I could supply numbers anyway just for a quick look.

Media is where the bigger money is at then.

As a former club secretary myself - and as somebody who's married to our current one! - let me say it's not necessarily that such messages aren't passed on. Instead, it's that they're just not replied to, if the club isn't interested enough to start making inquiries.

As regards a ballpark figure...understand it would depend on level of data/analysis required...can we simplify it by asking for a ballpark figure for the minimum level you'd recommend for a club operating at senior level in their county championship?

Heading out for a few hours now, for duties including ones linked to return to adult training tonight, but will be back later. And am still curious. :)

As a former club secretary myself - and as somebody who's married to our current one! - let me say it's not necessarily that such messages aren't passed on. Instead, it's that they're just not replied to, if the club isn't interested enough to start making inquiries.

As regards a ballpark figure...understand it would depend on level of data/analysis required...can we simplify it by asking for a ballpark figure for the minimum level you'd recommend for a club operating at senior level in their county championship?

Heading out for a few hours now, for duties including ones linked to return to adult training tonight, but will be back later. And am still curious. :)

That's kinda where my worries were though, as in, are the secretarys actually passing on the brochures etc.

Minimum level for Senior Hurling club would be:

- Analysis for their own players/matches only

- On receipt of video and lineups from the club, data would be available within an agreed contracted length of time, likely 72-96 hours for a lower scale team

- Lowest level of data points available would be (all offensive): Puckouts, Dead-Balls, Shots, Cards. They would all have XY data too (which is the most important part then given that the Products available allow for some nice in-depth searches then, depending on the data you're permissioned for.

- Access to Products where Player stats etc are freely available for what the team is permissioned for

That would likely be in-and-around €1,000 depending on how many matches that team would be expecting.

If a team required more in-depth data for matches that aren't generally covered (and therefore need more people coding them), it would reach about €4,000-€5,000.

For counties we do vary from sport-to-sport but we do have Camogie Teams paying €8,000+ and Men's Hurling and Football paying €12,000+, however, they use extra Products that clubs wouldn't have use for anyway (ie club player scouting)

For the sake of an €800-€1,200 investment, it's a no-brainer for clubs from my opinion and experience anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭kksaints

That's kinda where my worries were though, as in, are the secretarys actually passing on the brochures etc.

Minimum level for Senior Hurling club would be:

- Analysis for their own players/matches only

- On receipt of video and lineups from the club, data would be available within an agreed contracted length of time, likely 72-96 hours for a lower scale team

- Lowest level of data points available would be (all offensive): Puckouts, Dead-Balls, Shots, Cards. They would all have XY data too (which is the most important part then given that the Products available allow for some nice in-depth searches then, depending on the data you're permissioned for.

- Access to Products where Player stats etc are freely available for what the team is permissioned for

That would likely be in-and-around €1,000 depending on how many matches that team would be expecting.

If a team required more in-depth data for matches that aren't generally covered (and therefore need more people coding them), it would reach about €4,000-€5,000.

For counties we do vary from sport-to-sport but we do have Camogie Teams paying €8,000+ and Men's Hurling and Football paying €12,000+, however, they use extra Products that clubs wouldn't have use for anyway (ie club player scouting)

For the sake of an €800-€1,200 investment, it's a no-brainer for clubs from my opinion and experience anyway.

A lot of clubs will try and do that themselves with volunteers. I've helped out a team in both Hurling and Football with it. There's an app that gathers data in match which most managers seem to be happy with at club level.

• Advertisement

Reality is that 800 to 1200 euros is the equivalent if a set of jerseys but personally I do support that type of match analysis but I guess it boils down to affordability or priorities in current climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Buy a decent club camera with another go pro strapped to it to capture close ups. Thats probably €1000+ gone.
    Get volunteers to man camera at games.
    They can also be used for other teams in club and if the club is lucky to reach a final the copies of game can be sold for €10 to recoup costs.
    Appoint someone in management team to trawl videos for stats. It doesn't have to be hugely in depth.
    Could be same person who does in game stats, or someone else as it is very time consuming.

It’s unfortunate that the bigger picture isn’t being looked at in the above posts, but it is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Personally, I think a lot of the spending on some things that clubs could do is a bit pointless - particularily when you look at the overall spending a club does.

In a lot of instances, as said above, clubs actually have their own volunteers helping out with video and stats and they are happy enough to leave it that way and spend the money else where - where there's usually a far bigger return on investment.

Granted the bigger clubs might be spending money on stats etc but that would be rare at the amateur level.
    If every club were spending money at it, there's no benefit to be had from it (some would say you get left behind - again, I don't buy it)
    It's a bit like an overweight lad going out and spending 4K on an ultra light bike to improve his cycling performance......when there are obviously better areas to spend the money on.

So, I may have knocked the product being discussed here (apologies, just my own opinion) but generally clubs get approached from people selling their wares via email/social media etc all the time and while they might be discussed at various levels, there may not be a response back to the original communications because you know, everyone has a day job and time is limited.

kksaints wrote: »
    A lot of clubs will try and do that themselves with volunteers. I've helped out a team in both Hurling and Football with it. There's an app that gathers data in match which most managers seem to be happy with at club level.

Except the volunteers wont have the software to do it anywhere near as well or be able to commit the time that the people like the OP can.
    Buy a decent club camera with another go pro strapped to it to capture close ups. Thats probably €1000+ gone.
    Get volunteers to man camera at games.
    They can also be used for other teams in club and if the club is lucky to reach a final the copies of game can be sold for €10 to recoup costs.
    Appoint someone in management team to trawl videos for stats. It doesn't have to be hugely in depth.
    Could be same person who does in game stats, or someone else as it is very time consuming.
    And who would code the videos? Break the videos down. not all in management teams would be able to do that as you say its time consuming and theyve lot of other things to do when coaching on top of their jobs....
    It’s unfortunate that the bigger picture isn’t being looked at in the above posts, but it is what it is.
    +1.
    Totally missed the point

Look,
    you're trying to sell a product, and you've a right to defend the concept etc, but there's lots of areas that clubs have to make decisions on in relation to spending and indeed the time of it's volunteers. That's the bigger picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭kksaints

Except the volunteers wont have the software to do it anywhere near as well or be able to commit the time that the people like the OP can.

And who would code the videos? Break the videos down. not all in management teams would be able to do that as you say its time consuming and theyve lot of other things to do when coaching on top of their jobs....

+1.
    Totally missed the point

True but its a value for money thing. Is the stats that you get worth the extra costs? I personally feel that it would be, the more stats you have the better, but a lot of managers and in particularly club treasurers wouldn't agree.

kksaints wrote: »
    True but its a value for money thing. Is the stats that you get worth the extra costs? I personally feel that it would be, the more stats you have the better, but a lot of managers and in particularly club treasurers wouldn't agree.

Yeh this is it exactly and like the other poster said too.

Instead of having volunteers chip in with what they believe is helpful, you instead have people who so have created Products and Dashboards for Premier League clubs, LNR Rugby teams etc and already have top-end products available for these teams to slot into.

Granted, for some clubs, they just mightn’t be able to afford top-end stuff, but to be happy out with volunteers doing a few things for them in their spare time is depressing if they have any want to improve.

Yeh this is it exactly and like the other poster said too.

Instead of having volunteers chip in with what they believe is helpful, you instead have people who so have created Products and Dashboards for Premier League clubs, LNR Rugby teams etc and already have top-end products available for these teams to slot into.

Granted, for some clubs, they just mightn’t be able to afford top-end stuff, but to be happy out with volunteers doing a few things for them in their spare time is depressing if they have any want to improve.

Massive emphasis on "improving" - not all clubs are about "improving" on the pitch and clubs have different ideas about where "improvements" can be made.

Volunteers is how these clubs exist by the way.

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    Massive emphasis on "improving" - not all clubs are about "improving" on the pitch and clubs have different ideas about where "improvements" can be made.

Volunteers is how these clubs exist by the way.

You can take the massive emphasis on ‘improving’ away.

It’s about gaining an Edge on your opponents and not slipping too.

You don’t have to improve but you can’t fall behind and have it be too late then to catch up due to stubbornness against an evolving period for Sports Data.

‘Getting stuck in’ doesn’t cut it anymore.

Advertisement