Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Harvey Weinstein and #MeToo/sexual misconduct scandals

Options

Comments

In relation to the nude auditions thing. Kaya Scodelario is going into detail on how young actresses are called in for such auditions for absolutely no reason. It's just disturbingly creepy.

https://twitter.com/kScodders/status/1388046720894910466

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Noel Clarke apologising for his actions and says he's going to seek professional help, but denies any criminal wrongdoing

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-56948644.amp
    He said: "I vehemently deny any sexual misconduct or criminal wrongdoing.

"Recent reports however have made it clear to me that some of my actions have affected people in ways I did not intend or realise."

His statement added: "To those individuals, I am deeply sorry. I will be seeking professional help to educate myself and change for the better."

So it seems there's definitely truth to some or most of the allegations.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,281 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I didn't do anything however I'm going to get professional help to educate myself and change for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Kaizer Sosa

Looks like John Barrowman could be another casualty of the Noel Clarke accusations. Video going around where Noel Clarke is re-telling stories at some convention with a few female Barrowman cast-mates of how he used to come up behind his co-stars and place his mickey on their shoulders.

Like how can you be so stupid or lacking in selfawareness to tell on yourself like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The non admittance admittance. Well, it makes sense to build on the non apology apology movement!

Many artists are in their own world, the socially accepted norms are a bit alien to them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Penn wrote: »
    Noel Clarke apologising for his actions and says he's going to seek professional help, but denies any criminal wrongdoing

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-56948644.amp

So it seems there's definitely truth to some or most of the allegations.

Essentially admitting the charges, but trying to reframe his actions as that of sickness, ignorance or both. Or in essence trying to play the "mental health" card, which seems cynical and disingenuous. No idea what kind of legal trouble be could yet find himself, but certainly this reads like a shoddy mea culpa to me

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

pixelburp wrote: »
    Essentially admitting the charges, but trying to reframe his actions as that of sickness, ignorance or both. Or in essence trying to play the "mental health" card, which seems cynical and disingenuous. No idea what kind of legal trouble be could yet find himself, but certainly this reads like a shoddy mea culpa to me

I think it's more a case of "I'll admit I did wrong and f*ck off for a while, just please don't bring any legal charges against me"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Looks like John Barrowman could be another casualty of the Noel Clarke accusations. Video going around where Noel Clarke is re-telling stories at some convention with a few female Barrowman cast-mates of how he used to come up behind his co-stars and place his mickey on their shoulders.

Like how can you be so stupid or lacking in selfawareness to tell on yourself like this.

Here's a link to the video and an article
    https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/john-barrowman-doctor-who-noel-clarke-b1840218.html

Not shocked to hear about Borrowman doing something like that. Don't know why either. If you watch behind the scenes in doctor who or Arrow stuff he always comes off as jokey etc.

As Clarke says in the video tho, Barrowman being gay helped him avoid any backlash.

No coming back this for him I think.
    London School of Dramatic Art (LSDA).

In a statement, Jake Taylor, principal and founder of the school, said Clarke, ran an "unsanctioned" practical acting workshop where he "set up improvisation exercises in which the students were told they had to get undressed and get ready for bed".

In response the school stopped Clarke taking unsupervised sessions "with immediate effect", he said.

Mr Taylor said Clarke had not been active at LSDA since 2015 and their professional relationship had ended.

On Friday, Mr Taylor said the school had been provided with further details about what happened at the session, as well as another session "previously unknown to us".

"Had we known about these details at the time we would have ended the professional relationship between Noel and our school with immediate effect," he added.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-56956429

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭p to the e

No coming back this for him I think.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-56956429

I've heard of the unsanctioned workshops like these taking place more than once in Ireland.

• Advertisement

John Barrowman apologizes for tomfoolery on the set of Doctor Who,
    With the benefit of hindsight, I understand that upset may have been caused by my exuberant behaviour and I have apologised for this previously. Since my apology in November 2008, my understanding and behaviour have also changed."

Here is Noel Clarke mentioning it.

Gadot saying what Whedon did to her.
    In a Saturday interview with Israeli news outlet N12, Gadot elaborated on her prior statement, revealing the content of Whedon’s threat.
    “He kind of threatened my career and said if I did something, he would make my career miserable, and I just took care of it instead,” Gadot claimed to N12 in remarks reported by several news outlets in and outside of Israel.
    The clash reportedly came when Gadot pushed back on some new dialog Whedon had written. During the exchange, he also allegedly disparaged Wonder Woman director Patty Jenkins.

https://deadline.com/2021/05/gal-gadot-joss-whedon-threatened-career-justice-league-shoot-1234752563/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its wandering into the area of office gossip with the Jenkins comments

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Seems very vague and also not really in the category of #metoo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

No link to the original interview Deadline is taking as a source; I had a quick check and N12 is entirely in Hebrew so no chance of me digging out the original form. Am curious, as the Deadline phrasing is very abstract so am wondering if she elaborated at all about what Whedon said of Patty Jenkins, and what she actually said. Taken at face value then, Gadot's remarks seem fairly coy TBH, certainly in comparison with her colleague Ray Fisher, who appeared content to burn his career via his remarks on Twitter.

One way or another, Whedon's career is toast at this stage. Hard to see a path back for him, even if after a few years break he returns with a performative "I've grown and learned" mea culpa.

I dunno. I don't agree. I think there is a way back for him including just taking a break and coming back with a new project. People who have done worse have come back having repented less e.g. Mel Gibson. I know the MeToo movement has changed the game a little but not that much I don't think.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Gibson's reasons were that he was an alcoholic and langered during his outbursts. Not so for Whedon, who just seems to be an unpleasant person, at least to some people anyway. But then we're only getting one side of the story here as he's remained schtum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I know Gadot refused to do the "gag" where The Flash lands face first in her bosom (the same gag done between Banner and Natasha I'm AOU) and that it was a double in the actual film but I would assume there's more and worse.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    I dunno. I don't agree. I think there is a way back for him including just taking a break and coming back with a new project. People who have done worse have come back having repented less e.g. Mel Gibson. I know the MeToo movement has changed the game a little but not that much I don't think.

As Tony points out, Gibson's out was his drinking; plus let's face it, the guy has languished in the "straight to video" tier of filmmaking ever since his public exposure. He was once one of the biggest stars in Hollywood, a bankable name to attach to any production.

What adds spice to the Whedon story is that in the 90s he was paraded as a pioneer for writing "strong female characters" in TV (even if IMO, in retrospect it was basically one archetype, endlessly repeated); the revelations that he was an outrageous shít - minus the convenient excuse of addiction as fuel to the fire - only made his fall longer and harder. There was an element of deep hypocrisy within the story.
    FunLover18 wrote: »
    I know Gadot refused to do the "gag" where The Flash lands face first in her bosom (the same gag done between Banner and Natasha I'm AOU) and that it was a double in the actual film but I would assume there's more and worse.

I remember watching the theatrical cut and a little taken aback Whedon - the supposedly great Saint Joss Whedon - wrote something that wouldn't have been out of place in a Carry On flick.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It's not unheard of unfortunately, granted it's for predatory reasons generally. James Franco was doing it with acting students too. Have a weird feeling that it might be rampant in Hollywood but not sure about UK.

https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1391771274280640513

• Advertisement

Is Seth doing the Tarantino I’m shocked I just never knew it was happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I think he has some plausible deniability on that.

But in the interview, he specifically says that he was wrong in 2018 to say he'd keep working with Franco. This is more of him changing his stance, then responding to new inforomation.

pixelburp wrote: »
    As Tony points out, Gibson's out was his drinking; plus let's face it, the guy has languished in the "straight to video" tier of filmmaking ever since his public exposure. He was once one of the biggest stars in Hollywood, a bankable name to attach to any production.

What adds spice to the Whedon story is that in the 90s he was paraded as a pioneer for writing "strong female characters" in TV (even if IMO, in retrospect it was basically one archetype, endlessly repeated); the revelations that he was an outrageous shít - minus the convenient excuse of addiction as fuel to the fire - only made his fall longer and harder. There was an element of deep hypocrisy within the story.

Whedon's out is that he’s behind the camera and his sins are lesser. The fact that it’s the hypocrisy that adds "spice" to the allegations only shows how shallow they are; there's a cohort of fans who care about that and the general movie and TV audiences couldn’t care less.

Seems so. What a prick.

Kevin Guthrie star of both Fantastic Beasts film and Dunkirk and TV's The Terror jailed for 3 years and put on Sexual Offenders Register after being convicted of sexual assault yesterday.

Danny Masterson will stand trial on 3 rape charges.
    Danny Masterson, the actor best known for his role in That ’70s Show, must stand trial on three counts of rape, a judge said on Friday.

The determination by Charlaine F Olmedo, of the Los Angeles superior county court, came on the fourth day of a preliminary hearing where the prosecution laid out its evidence.

That included dramatic and emotional testimony from three women who took the stand to say that Masterson raped them in 2001 and 2003.

Olmedo said she found the women’s testimony credible for the purposes of a preliminary hearing, where the bar for sufficient evidence is much lower than at trial.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/may/21/danny-masterson-that-70s-show-rape-trial

Lady Gaga has spoken out about the lasting pain and trauma of being sexually assaulted as a teenager, revealing she suffered a "total psychotic break" years after being left pregnant by her alleged rapist.
    The Grammy award-winning singer -- real name Stefani Germanotta -- recalled her harrowing experience in an emotional appearance on the premiere episode of "The Me You Can't See," a new docuseries co-created by Prince Harry and Oprah Winfrey that aims to tackle the stigma around mental health.

Source CNN

She won't name the music producer but sides with #metoo movement

Charlie Hanson Removed As Producer On Netflix’s ‘After Life’; Ricky Gervais “Shocked & Appalled” By Misconduct Allegations
    British television producer and director Charlie Hanson has been removed from Netflix’s Ricky Gervais comedy After Life and he has been suspended by BAFTA amid allegations of sexual misconduct.

Both Netflix and BAFTA were sent an anonymous email this week containing allegations about Hanson. The Times of London reported on Saturday that he is the subject of complaints from 11 women, who have detailed accusations dating from 2008 to 2015. Hanson strenuously denies wrongdoing.

Netflix confirmed Hanson is no longer a producer on After Life. A spokeswoman said: “On Monday, we received an anonymous email containing historical allegations about a producer on one of our titles. Whilst the allegations are unrelated to his time on the show, we immediately removed him from the production and referred the matter to the police........”

https://deadline.com/2021/05/charlie-hanson-removed-after-life-suspended-bafta-netflix-1234766445/

James Franco to Pay $2.2 Million in Sexual Misconduct Settlement - Source E

• Advertisement

Swedish police have open an investigation into rape claims made against Joel Kinnaman.

Advertisement