11-09-2020, 23:14   #31
Slow-starter

Really interesting and encouraging to read these posts. 34, going 35 myself. Only officially came out to people close to me last year. Finally comfortable with myself but still slow to tell people. Still scared of losing friends and family.

(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-09-2020, 19:36   #32
Ten of Swords

Congrats
16-09-2020, 20:23   #33
Gael23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow-starter View Post
Really interesting and encouraging to read these posts. 34, going 35 myself. Only officially came out to people close to me last year. Finally comfortable with myself but still slow to tell people. Still scared of losing friends and family.
I’ve been seeing a counsellor on and off since I started this thread and the first line of your post is what we have been doing the most work on, getting me to be comfortable with myself as a gay man. Second I still struggle with but something we talked about rings in my head constantly because it makes so much sense. That is by coming out you are not looking for a Hines approval but their acceptance of you. I’m still struggling to tell people but I’m going to tell a friend as soon as things calm down. Don’t forget the possibility your family know, I’m not sure myself but I’m assuming they don’t
(2) thanks from:
20-09-2020, 11:17   #34
Annasopra
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gael23 View Post
I’ve been seeing a counsellor on and off since I started this thread and the first line of your post is what we have been doing the most work on, getting me to be comfortable with myself as a gay man. Second I still struggle with but something we talked about rings in my head constantly because it makes so much sense. That is by coming out you are not looking for a Hines approval but their acceptance of you. I’m still struggling to tell people but I’m going to tell a friend as soon as things calm down. Don’t forget the possibility your family know, I’m not sure myself but I’m assuming they don’t
Families a lot of the time do know from working things out.
20-09-2020, 11:26   #35
Taltos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytheparrot View Post
Families a lot of the time do know from working things out.
Nephew came out just a short while ago to his parents. In fairness the extended uncles and aunts all had a fair idea. I was more worried about how his folks would react but they were troopers and gave him a huge hug.
Asking his dad a few days later how his son was - “he’s a lot more comfortable in himself”

Just hope others have such a positive reaction from family but know they don’t.
Advertisement
29-04-2021, 09:23   #36
i_steal_sheep

First time I ever said the words "I'm Gay", I was 28. And that was out loud to myself. Then to others. Best thing I ever did. I'll just always regret not doing it sooner ... but everything for a reason and in it's own time. It'll be OK.
05-05-2021, 21:56   #37
Gael23

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_steal_sheep View Post
First time I ever said the words "I'm Gay", I was 28. And that was out loud to myself. Then to others. Best thing I ever did. I'll just always regret not doing it sooner ... but everything for a reason and in it's own time. It'll be OK.
Sorry only seeing this now. My therapist is really pushing me to do it.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Share Tweet