Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campervan insurance

• 22-01-2020 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

I rang Allianz who are my insurer about adding a camper to the insurance and they said Dolmen are the only Irish company to do camper insurance. Is this true? A quick Google would suggest it more or less is which I find very surprising.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Three companies, Stuarts, Dolmen or the Club insurance through the Motorcaravan club.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Three companies, Stuarts, Dolmen or the Club insurance through the Motorcaravan club.

They’re insurance brokers though, not insurance companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Dolmen issue Axa policies, Stuarts are Aviva or at least they used to be and I assume that they still are. Not sure who the club use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Alkers

i am insured with Allianz through Richardsons

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I've used Dolmen last 2 years. No complaints

• Advertisement

Dolmen love sending you away for more paperwork.

-"Can I transfer my camper insurance to another camper for a week please?"
    -"As long as it fulfils these arbitrary criteria then please submit an illustrated thesis of the vehicle you'd like to temporarily insure, complete with these 20 forms to be stamped in an analogue fashion at these 20 geographical locations and we'll get back to you!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Dolmen love sending you away for more paperwork.

-"Can I transfer my camper insurance to another camper for a week please?"
    -"As long as it fulfils these arbitrary criteria then please submit an illustrated thesis of the vehicle you'd like to temporarily insure, complete with these 20 forms to be stamped in an analogue fashion at these 20 geographical locations and we'll get back to you!"

You must have rubbed them up the wrong way. I've read so many stories of people having a hard time with them. Remember they get every kind of chancre wanting to insure their work van with them pretending it's a camper to get it cheaper, they must also get people transferring insurance to a work in progress camper that isn't fully registered.

I imported a van from Japan, had no regplates, there was no walk way from front to back but no bulk head either. I sent them photos they said yes I got it serviced and the mechanic filled out an engineers report and stamped it. Every year I renew zero hassle. I also always take open drive for 50 euros extra.

You must have rubbed them up the wrong way. I've read so many stories of people having a hard time with them. Remember they get every kind of chancre wanting to insure their work van with them pretending it's a camper to get it cheaper, they must also get people transferring insurance to a work in progress camper that isn't fully registered.

I imported a van from Japan, had no regplates, there was no walk way from front to back but no bulk head either. I sent them photos they said yes I got it serviced and the mechanic filled out an engineers report and stamped it. Every year I renew zero hassle. I also always take open drive for 50 euros extra.

Was it converted? How old was the van?

Alkers wrote: »
    Was it converted? How old was the van?

Yea it was always a camper, I got in in 2009 and it's a 91 so it was 18 years old at the time 29 years old now

Yea it was always a camper, I got in in 2009 and it's a 91 so it was 18 years old at the time 29 years old now

If it's a factory built camper then it's a lot easier. Ours is a conversion so they were looking for a "conversion certificate", which we don't have. In the absence of this they wanted a SIMI registered main-dealer garage to carry out an assessment and to certify the conversion. As we've a Mazda Bongo, no Mazda main dealers wanted to know about it and would only have been willing to do the assessment, nothing to do with campervan status.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Used Stuart insurances myself, have the 1.8m head height & van is actually a camper, and had been previously insured as one and was a doddle with them, they have a checklist and need a few photos but it was a pretty easy process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 woodsn

Hi, do you have any idea how much it would be to insure a first time 24 year old driver on a VW Transporter Campervan?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,363 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

woodsn wrote: »
    Hi, do you have any idea how much it would be to insure a first time 24 year old driver on a VW Transporter Campervan?

You will find it next to impossible to get insurance at under 25.

woodsn wrote: »

It's a group scheme so it's fixed at 400ish euors but there are rules including that you must be over 25 and have decent amount of no claims bonus on you own policy, partners policy might count. You need to contact them as soon as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hrcbob

I think it’s worth mentioning to anyone looking to take out a camper policy for the first time that it doesn’t work like taking out a regular motor policy.
    I’ve found this out the hard way over the last few days.
    From what I see they require all the documentation that a regular policy requires but UP FRONT as opposed to within 10working days from the policy start date as is the norm with other motor policies I have encountered.
    Unless you have a habit of hoarding renewal documents for your primary vehicles, getting your hands on proof of current no claims is a 3-4 day process.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I'm sure this has been asked on here before a 100 times so sorry! I know you cannot use your campervan as a daily driver, but is there anything stopping you using a converted van not registered as a camper daily ? If you have a private insurance policy and private tax on it and there is an incident and its being used as a camper will it void the policy ?

dashoonage wrote: »
    I'm sure this has been asked on here before a 100 times so sorry! I know you cannot use your campervan as a daily driver, but is there anything stopping you using a converted van not registered as a camper daily ? If you have a private insurance policy and private tax on it and there is an incident and its being used as a camper will it void the policy ?

You can get camper policies where you don't have a daily driver but they are more expensive.

In most instances however, the difference between camper tax and cc based private tax (private use of a van would be on old cc rates) would probably cover the extra premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭dashoonage

alias no.9 wrote: »
    You can get camper policies where you don't have a daily driver but they are more expensive.

In most instances however, the difference between camper tax and cc based private tax (private use of a van would be on old cc rates) would probably cover the extra premium.

Thanks, do you know who does those policies so i could explore the option?

Thanks, do you know who does those policies so i could explore the option?

Call Dolmen and Stuarts, see what they say. It'll always come back to your own circumstances and the van you're trying to insure. What works for someone else might not work the same for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭Shoog

Just approached Richardsons Insurance, when I said it was a conversion they asked for an engineers report and front to back access before anything else. Since our Suitably Qualified Person didn't issue an engineers report (simply submitting the revenue paperwork on our behalf) we would need to get another engineers report. Also seems that the old front to back, and undoubtedly the 1.8M head height, are still the defacto norm for self converted campers.

So back to IVETA (Campion) for us.

Shoog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Aussie John

I am living in Australia ... I own a campervan in Ireland and I wish to sell it ... I have had the CVRT complete ( passed with flying colours ) and I thought I would insure it to sell . No broker wants to deal with me due to living out of Ireland ( I am Irish !)

Can I sell without insurance ; does anybody know or can anyone help ?Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭Shoog

I am living in Australia ... I own a campervan in Ireland and I wish to sell it ... I have had the CVRT complete ( passed with flying colours ) and I thought I would insure it to sell . No broker wants to deal with me due to living out of Ireland ( I am Irish !)

Can I sell without insurance ; does anybody know or can anyone help ?Thanks !
    You do not need insurance to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

What are the typical policy restrictions under this heading:
    is it ltd to x days pa
    or
    kms pa
    or what?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bondgate

I would avoid the Motor Caravan Club of Ireland for insurance, as they really dropped me in it, just because I wanted my insurance certificate in time for a trip to the UK. Paid the premium well in advance so I would have the certificate of insurance in good time, but they let me down. Told me on a Friday I was covered, but on the following Monday I got my premium cheque returned, and told to get insurance else where. If I had gone, I would not have been covered. Very unprofessional. AVOID, is my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bondgate

Good

Advertisement