Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gareth Thomas

• 24-02-2021 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/56133248

Opening up and having a debate about HIV is laudible and to be absolutely encouraged but I have to admit that I am a little uneasy about the way Thomas does this and his angle about "...normalis[ing] the public's view about what it's like to live with the virus."

Now, that's all well and good but Thomas did not wake up one morning to discover that he had contracted HIV due to a cruel twist of genetic fate akin to say, Parkinson's or MND. I hasten to add that we do not have the exact details to hand but it is fair to assume he contracted HIV through sexual activity.

My point is that if Thomas wants to have an open and honest debate then let's start by Thomas telling us how he contracted HIV and what aspects of his own personal conduct put him in such a postion that he contracted HIV.

So Mr Thomas, why not start your debate by addressing the huge elephant in the room here and start extolling the virtures of safe sexual practices and not this "Oh look at what happended to me. It can happend to anyone and I was just a victim of lady luck. But it's ok everyone I can take a pill which surpresses the virus. Carry on as you are."

I am not suggesting for one second he deserved it because it is guaranteed that accusation will be thrown at me by some posters. Perhaps it is just lost in the way he is portrayed in the media and media outlets are a bit slow to get into the gory details.

I am just a little uneasy at the way he comes across as some sort of innocent victim here. A little bit of mea culpa may be in order.

Comments

"Does everything have to be about everything?" is a line I heard thrown out in exhausted frustration once by someone who was working really hard on what he and I believed to be an important issue. But people kept hammering him with "But why are you not working on _this_ other issue is it not important???"

There are many complex angles to every complex issue. Many subsections that deserve time and focus in and of their own right. And it is a _good thing_ when a person decides to focus their energy on one of them.

It sounds like this guy has decided to focus on A) The Stigma of HIV and B) the out dated notions people have from the 80s about what it means to live with HIV today.

This is a good thing - so I am not sure anything is to be gained by pointing out _another different_ subsection of the topic that he has not focused on. There are other people who focus on those. He is focusing on this. Not focusing on every aspect of an issue does not de-legitimize or in any way take away from focusing on parts of the whole.

There are many people already "extolling the virtues" of safe sex practices. That is their chosen wheel house. This is his chosen wheel house. There is no requirement whatsoever for them to cross over if they choose not to.

That said though the article says "Thomas firmly believes using his platform to start conversations about HIV" and since you bring up the topic of HIV and it's relation to safe sex - he has achieved exactly that. You see - a person does not have to touch on every aspect of an issue if his agenda is to stimulate conversations on that issue. You just did it for him.

So you answer your own question of " So Mr Thomas, why not start your debate by " - by proving he does not have to. His platforming the topic in the first place in his own chosen way means _people exactly like you_ will do it for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

"Does everything have to be about everything?" is a line I heard thrown out in exhausted frustration once by someone who was working really hard on what he and I believed to be an important issue. But people kept hammering him with "But why are you not working on _this_ other issue is it not important???"

There are many complex angles to every complex issue. Many subsections that deserve time and focus in and of their own right. And it is a _good thing_ when a person decides to focus their energy on one of them.

It sounds like this guy has decided to focus on A) The Stigma of HIV and B) the out dated notions people have from the 80s about what it means to live with HIV today.

This is a good thing - so I am not sure anything is to be gained by pointing out _another different_ subsection of the topic that he has not focused on. There are other people who focus on those. He is focusing on this. Not focusing on every aspect of an issue does not de-legitimize or in any way take away from focusing on parts of the whole.

There are many people already "extolling the virtues" of safe sex practices. That is their chosen wheel house. This is his chosen wheel house. There is no requirement whatsoever for them to cross over if they choose not to.

That said though the article says "Thomas firmly believes using his platform to start conversations about HIV" and since you bring up the topic of HIV and it's relation to safe sex - he has achieved exactly that. You see - a person does not have to touch on every aspect of an issue if his agenda is to stimulate conversations on that issue. You just did it for him.

So you answer your own question of " So Mr Thomas, why not start your debate by " - by proving he does not have to. His platforming the topic in the first place in his own chosen way means _people exactly like you_ will do it for him.

"I am gay and HIV+- use your imagination as to how I caught it as I wish to focus on a different aspects of the HIV narrative"- is that helpful?

I hear what you are saying that by throwing it out there generally it then allows others to 'fill in the specific gaps' i.e. it goes without saying. On the other hand, he could be accused of skirting around the issue and that it is not really an open debate.

I think how he (or anyone) catches HIV is more than just a mere subsection. I am quite sure if he caught it via a hospital blood transfusion for example this fact would be mentioned in every article but here there is no mention of how he caught it- it is a sanitised almost a la carte debate.

He even said it himself- he had no idea about HIV up to a few years ago until he caught it which is quite astonishing.

Do we did need to know that for pure example and taking a sweeping generalisation for the sake of emphasis, he was heading out every weekend and getting down and dirty in a Cardiff bathhouse and engaging in lengthy bouts of Chemsex with random strangers with zero protection or he went mad one weekend in San Fran? No.

I don't think it would take too much for him to focus on removing stigmas while at the same time mentioning the importance of safe sexual practices- that is all he has to say really and tbh I am not entirely convinced that people by and large have the same outdated notions from the 80s. But that is just my personal view.

It is his choice how he wishes to deal with it or what narrative he wishes to set or what wheel house he adopts. Thomas was under no obligation whatsoever to go public and no doubt it helps him personally while making the topic live in the public conscious. It is to his great credit that he has gone public.

He has chosen to focus on stigmas etc. Fine. But IMO how one catches HIV is vitally important in terms of educating the public and I am just a tad queasy with what I regard as a somewhat sanitised version. Just my two cents.

"I am gay and HIV+- use your imagination as to how I caught it as I wish to focus on a different aspects of the HIV narrative"- is that helpful?

Again - you are focusing on what he is not saying rather than what he is saying and evaluating if it is "helpful" or not. The only way I can respond to that is to simply re-type the entire post I just typed. Because the reply is literally the same.

To evaluate if his message is helpful or not - I would focus on the message he _is_ spreading and what the content of that message is.

Is it helpful to destigmatize many aspects of living with HIV? Yes. Yes it is.

Is it helpful to take outdated ideas of what the public think live with HIV is and update them? Yes. Yes it is.

If it helpful to construct fantasies about bathhouses and "chemsex" and "random strangers" and serial nymhomania? No. Not so much. Some people with HIV - straight people and homosexuals - contracted it from a single sexual encounter. A 30 year old virgin can court a partner of any gender for months before having sex and contract it. So why the automatic need to jump to sordid backstreet promiscuity?

Further discussing how _he_ contracted it misses the point. His message is about _all_ people who live with HIV. Who contracted it in any of the ways it is possible to do so. So focusing on how one single individual contracted it - rather on his more global message about how everyone lives with it - seems superfluous in the extreme.
    I think how he (or anyone) catches HIV is more than just a mere subsection.

You can think it - but thinking it does not make it true. His message seems to be focused primarily on what it is like to live with HIV. As such how he contracted it is not just a mere subsection - I would argue it is not _even_ a subsection. In the same way that if you start a cooking show focusing solely on cakes - you are generally not required to discuss how flour is made.

So if he was spreading a different message where how he contracted it had more relevant I _still_ would have posted the first post above. But since his message seems to be about what it is like to live with HIV - it is even less relevant still.

None of that message or narrative requires discussion of how it was contracted.
    He even said it himself- he had no idea about HIV up to a few years ago until he caught it which is quite astonishing.

Depends what you think he means - or what he actually means. If he means he had literally no idea to the point of knowing it even existed then that is somewhat surprising yes. Not astonishing. Just surprising.

But he did not say this. He said he knew nothing "about" it and I am not as surprised by that. As I take him to mean that he shared the same ignorance's about it that he has now committed himself to dispelling in others.

For example I was just writing on another thread about Tourettes Syndrome today. Nearly all of what I have learned about it came in the last 3 years and mostly from two youtube channels before I started reading science papers on the matter. I knew "nothing about" it before that really.

And by that I do not mean _literally_ nothing about it. I knew some things. Mostly what comedy sketches or Entertainment Media highlighted about it. But I had an astounding number of points of ignorance about it. "I know nothing about that" is a common and convenient turn of phrase. It is not a phrase to be taken 100% literal. But I would say that three years ago I knew nothing about Tourettes in the same way I read him to mean he knew nothing about HIV.
    I don't think it would take too much for him to focus on removing stigmas while at the same time mentioning the importance of safe sexual practices

He certainly could. I am not saying otherwise. What I am saying is that him choosing _not_ to does not take away from anything he _does_ say. Again "Does everything have to be everything" is the phrase that comes to my mind. There are any number of things he _could_ say. But it is up to each individual voice to decide what aspects of the message are dear to them - and spread that message.

If everyone just lined up to say what they could say, then everyone would just end up saying the same message pretty much. And what use is that to anyone? Anyone who came out to discuss HIV would just repeat the same bullet points as the last guy/gal? Why?

What complex issues require is multiple voices saying individual things in individual ways. Each one focusing on the aspects of that issue that are meaningful or important to them. And united together those voices make a holistic useful overall movement. We do not need clones touting a party line and making sure to hit all the same "key points" as each other each time. You might as well just walk into the local police station, sing a bar of Alices Restaurant, and walk out (old musical reference there, sorry).

But somehow it seems to me often this is what people want. There seems to be an unspoken thought in the minds of some minority that goes something like "If you want to lend you voice to issue X then you must cover points X1 X2 and X3 or something is off and we will call you on it".

• Registered Users Posts: 40,736 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I dont see the point here at all to be honest. As far as I am concerned how he got it is irrelevant. I honestly cant see any reason to discuss how he got it other than shame and judgement.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I honestly cant see any reason to discuss how he got it other than shame and judgement.

You see that is my point..why not? Where is the shame and judgment? I don't see any shame or judgment. Those are both emotive words that you have introduced which is surprising. I am of the view that alluding to how he caught it is extremely important if you are on a quest to educate and enligten the public. I fail to see how anyone could see any different. Nobody wants gory details or a detailed account.

As I said in my earlier post if it was caught via a blood transfusion I bet my mortgage it would be mentioned in every article but here it is silence: "Oh well we are not going to tallk about that. Let's just focus on this aspect generally". Fine but it just reeks of 'brushing it under the carpet'.

He wishes to focus on removing stigmas - I get that 100% but at the same time I find that there is a slight lack of candour. That is what I find peculiar. Following his reports you would be forgiven for thinking he just woke up one morning HIV+. That type of thing just happens to gay men.

I guess perhaps I am comparing him with Olly Alexander. Of course Thomas does not have to do anything.

Sorry taxAHcruel but life is just too short to reply to your post in detail. I know I am focusing on what he does not say- I have made no bones about that and it is clear from my posts and my whole reason behind the thread. You don't agree with that focus. Fine. All I will say is the overall respsonse "focus of what he says and not on what he does not say" is quite frankly a cop out IMO. It is possible to focus on both. We will not agree on this point.

• Advertisement

You see that is my point..why not? Where is the shame and judgment? I don't see any shame or judgment. Those are both emotive words that you have introduced which is surprising. I am of the view that alluding to how he caught it is extremely important if you are on a quest to educate and enligten the public. I fail to see how anyone could see any different. Nobody wants gory details or a detailed account.

As I said in my earlier post if it was caught via a blood transfusion I bet my mortgage it would be mentioned in every article but here it is silence: "Oh well we are not going to tallk about that. Let's just focus on this aspect generally". Fine but it just reeks of 'brushing it under the carpet'.

He wishes to focus on removing stigmas - I get that 100% but at the same time I find that there is a slight lack of candour. That is what I find peculiar. Following his reports you would be forgiven for thinking he just woke up one morning HIV+. That type of thing just happens to gay men.

I guess perhaps I am comparing him with Olly Alexander. Of course Thomas does not have to do anything.

Sorry taxAHcruel but life is just too short to reply to your post in detail. I know I am focusing on what he does not say- I have made no bones about that and it is clear from my posts and my whole reason behind the thread. You don't agree with that focus. Fine. All I will say is the overall respsonse "focus of what he says and not on what he does not say" is quite frankly a cop out IMO. It is possible to focus on both. We will not agree on this point.

The point is about removing stigmas. Honestly Im totally lost here. I dont need gory details at all and Im really puzzled why anyone would. I honestly think focusing on the hows and whys is completely unnecessary when the focus is on challenging the stigma.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

To be honest, im not sure how much praise he should get as an HIV+ advocate. He only went public with it because a tabloid was threatening to publish his story first.

Nikkie tutorials, a youtube makeup artist, only came out as trans because people were blackmailing her and she wanted to get there before them. She was also praised for her bravery.

I think putting these reluctant advocates on a pedestal is extremely disingenuous. They didn't necessarily want to promote conversations about being HIV+ or trans, they just wanted to cover their own backs and get there first. The only special thing about them is that they're in the public eye so now they have to carry that cross publicly. I'd have much more respect for the ~30 something local lad who has Poz in his grindr profile.

I am of the view that alluding to how he caught it is extremely important if you are on a quest to educate and enligten the public.

And as I pointed out multiple times already - it entirely depends what you are aiming to educate the public about.

For example if I want to educate the public about where their food comes from - I would happily go into the production processes of flour.

If however I am educating the public on how to bake cakes - the production process of flour is irrelevant and superfluous and would distract from my main message.

Similarly if I wanted to educate the public about the disease HIV itself - I would certainly discuss how it is contracted and how to prevent contraction of it.

If however my message or goal was to educate the public about what it is like to _have_ HIV and to live with it day to day - then discussing how it is contracted is an irrelevant waste of time. Worse - as I said already - it risks personalizing a general message. If the _general_ message is about how _all_ people with HIV live with it day to day - then discussing how _one_ person or group of people contracted it risks constraint of that message.

What is not useful or helpful in anyway is constructing fantasies about how he contracted it. Specifically - as you have done - to construct fantasies about the most promiscuous back street drug taking serial sex imagery that you gravitated towards and pretended was just random. A fantasy supported by nothing but another fantasy imagining what you think he would say had he contracted it another way (such as through a blood transfusion).

We simply do not know how it was contracted in this case and it is not relevant. It could have been in any number of ways. Some of which might give him good reason to not want to discuss it. I know one person who contracted it via rape for example. I know another person who was mugged from behind with a needle stuck in her arm and a voice saying "This needle is covered in HIV you need to get to the hospital as quick as you can so give me all your money as fast as you can and go". Thankfully either the needle was clean or she just got lucky because she never contracted it. But imagine the horror of that moment and how she has suffered since.

So no - we have no basis to demand or expect anyone's medical history. Especially in a situation where it is wholly irrelevant and not useful to the message being offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

The limit of my gay sex ed was being shown Philadelphia in SPHE in Transition year. This was 2005!

This created a huge amount of stigma in my generation towards HIV, Gareth Thomas speaking honestly about his experience helps stop that stigma.

We all know how he most likely got it but that's beside his point which is to reduce stigma.

The big problem still in this country is the absolutely atrocious sex education that gay people get

The limit of my gay sex ed was being shown Philadelphia in SPHE in Transition year. This was 2005!

This created a huge amount of stigma in my generation towards HIV, Gareth Thomas speaking honestly about his experience helps stop that stigma.

We all know how he most likely got it but that's beside his point which is to reduce stigma.

The big problem still in this country is the absolutely atrocious sex education that gay people get

Hmmm yeah - to be fair I think sex ed for everyone regardless of sexual orientation is appalling (not sure how much its changed)

But yes - I never knew a huge swathe of things about sex or sexual health etc until I was in my mid 20s - I learned zero at school - a good bit at college - a good bit through peer education and health groups set up by Gay Mens Health Project and a good through googling to figure stuff out

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

We simply do not know how it was contracted in this case

Which is exactly my point. As I said already, he did not wake up one morning and find himself HIV+ just like that and as I have also said if he contracted it by say, a dirty needle then that would be clearly mentioned in every article. That is as guaranteed as it can be.

I have a slight issue with the half a story construct. You don't want to hear the gory details- neither do I but if he is going to go public (he did not have to do so) then 'we' are entitled to ask questions. It makes you uncomfortable and you feel it does not matter in any event. Fine and the rest of us should just put 'two and two' together with a bit of a nod and a wink. As 'simple' as that.

What does an 18 year old think:-

18 yr old: "Garth Thomas is HIV+. What does that mean?”
    Parent: “Google it.”
    18 yr old: "So how did he catch it?
    Parent: "Oh that doesn’t matter."
    18 yr old: "Dirty needle? Blood transfusion? Sexual misadventure?
    Parent: "Again it does not matter"
    18 yr old: “Thomas also came out as gay around the same time. Is that connected or relevant as the two issues seem inextricably linked?”

How can you possibly start to remove stigmas but yet stay silent on such a critical point? Sorry but I am not buying it. You disgaree- fine.
    and it is not relevant. It could have been in any number of ways. .

Maybe he caught it baking cakes or milling flour...who knows.

Annasopra wrote: »
    The point is about removing stigmas. Honestly Im totally lost here. I dont need gory details at all and Im really puzzled why anyone would. I honestly think focusing on the hows and whys is completely unnecessary when the focus is on challenging the stigma.

Half stories and lack of transparency lead to stigmas in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Parent: “Google it.”
    Parent: "Actually, that's a private matter for Gareth and isn't actually important. People make mistakes in life but that's okay, the important thing is to know the facts about the virus itself."
    18 yr old: "Oh okay, thanks. You're a good parent!"

• Subscribers Posts: 40,944 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

all you need is the words of the guy himself
    "I knew nothing about HIV - and the reality is there's a version of self-stigma as well, where the person themselves doesn't understand the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You do realise the tabloid UK press were going to out him, 'in the public interest of course' both the time he had to go home and tell his parents before they read it and again when he tested positive for HIV. In both cases GT had no choice. The fact that he has used his own situation to improve lives for other people is a good thing.
    Now partyguinneass you seem to regret that we've moved on from the 1980s.

There you go. But you see according to some other posters that is not relevant or even connected and merely a "subsection". How he caught HIV is but a trifling little footnote. Don't worry about.

Education is about honest open facts and transparent discussions no matter how uncomfortable it may make some feel. Anything less leads to stigmas and misinformation.

Water John wrote: »
    Now partyguinneass you seem to regret that we've moved on from the 1980s.

You clearly have not read any of my posts or you have just lazily reached into your pocket for a generic stock reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

There you go. But you see according to some other posters that is not relevant or even connected and merely a "subsection". How he caught HIV is but a trifling little footnote. Don't worry about.

Education is about honest open facts and transparent discussions no matter how uncomfortable it may make some feel. Anything less leads to stigmas and misinformation.

Like to be honest it would be helpful for someone like him to discuss PEP, PREP etc. Or even the basic use of condoms. But I doubt he'd get as much airtime because the generic often right wing media tends to still see gay sex as "dirty".

I think it would be helpful if he called for gay sex education in schools but I would fear even today a backlash from the heteronormative who wouldn't feel it as relevant!

Which is exactly my point.

Well - no. Your "point" is that you feel it should be - or should have been - mentioned and discussed. A point you have not yet backed up in any way. Nor have you rebutted the reasons I have offered as to why the opposite is true. I discussed several reasons why mentioning it is not required. I discussed several reasons why mentioning it would be a bad thing. You replied to _none_ of those. Just skipped over and ignored it.

I will add _another_ reason not to mention it to the list of things you have already dodged. Brevity. We live in the age of twitter and short attention spans. When getting a message out there it behooves one therefore to be concise and to the point. Adding a whole dialog to his message about how he contracted it therefore is not only superfluous for the reasons I discussed already - but would in fact elongate a message that could otherwise be short and to the (his) point.
    then that would be clearly mentioned in every article.

As I said in the post you are replying to "A fantasy supported by nothing but another fantasy imagining what you think he would say had he contracted it another way"

Your only evidence for something you have no evidence for - is to imagine another scenario you have no evidence for - and declare what you imagine _would_ be done/said in that scenario.

So you are evidencing one fantasy by reference to another. Nothing more.
    'we' are entitled to ask questions.

Of course you are. But you should do so while realizing you are not entitled to get answers. You do not deserve them. You do not require them. You have no basis to demand them or expect them.

So by all means ask! No one suggested you shouldn't. I know I haven't.
    It makes you uncomfortable

Does it? Seem you know me better than I know myself then because I was not aware of feeling any such discomfort. Or is this another fantasy? I have not once said any such thing makes me uncomfortable. And I have not once said discussing any aspect of it makes me feel uncomfortable. You are simply making this stuff up now.
    Fine and the rest of us should just put 'two and two' together

Also not what I said either. I am not saying people need to "put two and two together". What I am saying is that it is not necessary to do so at all because _nothing_ about the message the guy is putting out requires it. Not one aspect of the message he offered - or the goal he claims to be striving for - requires any background on how the disease was contracted. At all.
    What does an 18 year old think

Well you seem to know what people would say in scenarios that did not happen - and what people like me feel despite not having expressed those feelings - so why stop there when you could imagine what some random 18 year old thinks too? :) Is any part of your central point on this thread reliant on anything except what you have imagined in your own mind?

But this fantasy - much like most of your others - is a fantasy about entirely the wrong thing. What your fantasy dialog shows is not that things about Gareth's medical history are relevant. Rather what your fantasy dialog shows is extremely bad parenting.

Were the same conversation to occur in my house it would go something more like this:

Parent: <Proceeds to explain what a virus is, what HIV+ specifically is, and how it affects the person who has it>
    Parent: <Proceeds to explain that how any one individual catches it is irrelevant to their message - but then explains the multiple ways such a disease can be caught and how to avoid it in each case>

The rest of your contrived little fantasy dialog then would not happen as it would have all been addressed. The 18 year old in question would also not be left with the false notion that this is some disease linked solely to homosexuals but that it is equally a concern of heterosexuals.

So actually your nonsense makey up conversation proves my point not yours. Should such a conversation happen then Garth's goal of consciousness raising - stimulating learning and conversation - and removing of falsehoods and stereotypes - would be achieved. And discussing how he in particular contracted it would add absolutely nothing to those goals or achievements. Because we as parents should be educating our children on _all_ the risk factors involved.

You are strawmanning now.

What "some other posters" are actually saying is that sex education and messages about contracting the disease are important too. What "some other posters" actually said to you is that we need voices discussing those things in our society too.

And yes sex education is pretty poor in many countries. Not helped by little pearl clutchers who think discussing the subject of sex with children is some kind of bad thing.

But what "some other posters" have been telling you is that there are other messages - other voices - and other discussions to be had in the discussion too. That it's having a mixture of voices and messages - each focused on separate aspects of the whole - that will give a stronger overall holistic message on the topic.

And those other aspects do not all require a discussion of contraction of the disease - and much less how any one single individual contracted the disease. As I said twice already - I would discuss the production process of flour if I was discussing the origin of food stuffs. I would not do so if I was discussing how to bake a cake. Two very related subjects - but certain information can be relevant in one context and entirely irrelevant in another.

As I said at the beginning "Does everything have to be everything???".

Back what up? It's a point of view. Do you know what that means?

The double standard in your post seems to be completely lost on you. You hammer the 'truth' angle when it suits you but then assert your own point as truth but with nothing to back that with but your own point of view. You have gone around in a circle with some major mental juggling going on.

Strawmaning...lol...it is you that deemed it a "subsection". That was your word not mine. You have said repeatedly that it is not relevant in your opinion how he caught HIV. You called it a "subsection" and not the main focus of his quest. I point out that is a little more relevant than that in my opinion and now it is deemed 'strawmanning'. Give me a break.

Jesus man you don't half go on...and what's with the silly baking analogy when it comes to HIV transmisison...HIV transmission is akin to the flour making process in baking cakes ie. not very relevant. Right. Honestly, would you listen to yourself.

• Advertisement

Points of view can be backed up too you know. Just because you choose not to does not mean they can not be.

And yes I have backed up my point of view multiple times. You decided to ignore and not reply to any of it. But that does not mean it was not there.

For example I pointed out that when making a _general_ message about life with HIV to discuss how one individual contracted it risks constraining the message to people like that. Whereas to leave it out entirely means the message is more universal. You simply ignored this. That does not mean I did not say it.

Another example I pointed out how the disease is contracted is not at all relevant to a message about living with it. Because if you are discussing what living with it is like - then that is going to be just as true for someone who contracted it sexually as it is about someone who contracted it medically. This too - ignored.

In my most recent post I also pointed out how in the twitter generation it is often useful to keep messages short. So including superfluous information or discussion just needlessly makes the message longer. Also ignored.

Also I discussed how when discussing a complex topic like HIV - we are better off having many people making many different messages and discussing several aspects and subsections of the whole rather than everyone being expected to discuss everything about it. A mixture of voices and messages rather than drones all saying the same things. Also - you guessed it - ignored.

So no - the "double standard" you mention is just another in a long line of things that you have imagined but is not actually there.

You seem to think it is relevant however. But I am not seeing a single sentence in any of your posts showing how it actually is. While I have offered several reasons why it isn't and why mentioning it is actually counter productive. All ignored by you.

So yes the analogy stands - the accusation of straw manning remains accurate - and the relevance of how the HIV in this one particular case was contracted remains a mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

MOD:: Enough of this. Gareth Thomas can decide for himself what he does or does not talk about. End of discussion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement