Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Personally and anecdotally, I am glad that we occasionally have a POV post that exemplifies Trumpism from across the pond. Derived from obvious talking points promulgated by American Republican politically far right news media sources like Fox & Friends, Breitbart News, and from Trump’s mouth, or Trump’s failed attempts to circumvent his Twitter 6 January congressional insurrection ban.

We currently have a thread in our Philosophy forum that discusses Orwellian 1984 doublethink. Many examples can be had from past (and future 2024) Trumpism POVs like the continuous fake news label by Trump’s followers, that would be useful also in our Philosophy forum Doublethink thread. Fake news being applied to anything that conflicts with the Republican talking points, or Trump’s Big Lie conspiracy theory 2024 presidential election platform.

Such examples of doublethink used by Trump followers, as well as American Republican far right posters, allow us to examine anecdotally their thinking, in contrast to ours. Especially when they claim election frauds rejected by their own Republican US Attorney General William Barr, rejected by over 60 court adjudications, and rejected by the recent Arizona Republican paid Cyber Ninjas election audit.

Such far right posts, ironically using the word right, a doublethink expression in itself, exemplifies an alternative universe to the one we think we live in. Reminds me of Trump’s Kellyanne Conway “alternative facts” expression, when she substituted pseudo evidence to replace evidence that rejected Trump’s positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Thanks I think, Black Swan. But you need to be corrected as you assume too much and quite incorrectly for that matter. I don't watch Fox News (except on election days, and then I keep switching between FNC and MSNBC), or Breitbart News, or even listen to Trump. I get the vast majority of my news about Trump and the Right from Realclearpolitics.com, allsides.com, 2 conservative news entities, and 2 liberal news entities. I make my decisions and opinions after balancing out what I read from both sides and I enjoy reading how both sides report so differently on current affairs. I dunno... maybe I'm just overeducated and too in tune with all that is going on politically.

An aside... I've recently watched the movies Children of Men, and Snowpiercer. Excellent representations of Orwellian societies. Here is a question for your group. Liberal run urban cities are about the closest thing to Orwellian structure there is here, yet they are almost all hellholes for all but the affluent and about as far from Utopia as you can get here. Why is that?

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,268 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’m over educated and too in tune. There you have it I know better than you, no wonder he’s stuck down Trumps rabbit hole.

Amazing... so you support going after Trump so you can get as many of his allies as possible and lock them up for anything that surfaces from their past, or make things up to get them like in Flynn's case and Stone's. Government agencies pick targets they don't like, throw darts, and see what sticks? Man, you would have loved 1930's Germany.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I think it's you who'd be more at home in 1930's Germany. 😉

The only thing that would change is the name of the fuhrer you'd worship.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? In contemplating his expected run for the Republican 2024 presidential nomination, let Ireland and the other world democracies not forget what happened earlier this year. Especially now, when Trump’s supporters are trying a bit of revisionist history, including hundreds of arrested defendants, reclaiming that it was a peaceful crowd that broke into the congressional building on that day of infamy.

Fortunately, there are hours of videos to show the mob violence as it happened, and ironically, many of those video recordings of violence were made by Trump supporters and posted online by them. Lots of mob violence face time on mobiles.

The hallmark of America as the world’s leading democracy was its peaceful transition of power between presidents after elections. That dramatically changed on 6 January 2021 when sitting President Donald Trump encouraged a mob of his supporters at a rally within sight of the Capitol to violently break into the building while the US Congress was in session.

People died and were injured as a result, and Congress was forced to flee for their lives while the violent mob of Trump supporters with Trump hats and flags smashed their way through police barricades, windows, and doors, injuring many Capitol police officers, including the death of one.

The Republican Vice President, whom chaired the congressional session per the US Constitution, had to flee to safety, while many Trump supporters shouted hang Mike Pence! Because Pence would not betray his constitutional duties to certify the Biden win, they saw him as a traitor to their Trump cause. An ominous rope with noose was prominently displayed for hanging Pence immediately outside the Capitol building.

A more important question for us than what does the future hold for Donald Trump, is what does the future hold for Ireland and the other democracies if Trump is allowed to slip away after that day of infamy, and worse, if he once again occupies the Oval Office, and then refuses to leave it peacefully, again?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,487 ✭✭✭✭briany

The fact of the matter is that there is a large group of people in the United States who will never turn their back on Trump no matter how much evidence you offer that he is a crazy charlatan (the speech he gave at the Capitol, the conversations on tape with Bob Woodward, the call to Georgia SoS trying to 'find' 10,000 more votes). They're living in a whole other reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

And a lot of them are dying from covid I assume. And even if they weren't they tend to be the older population so a certain amount of them will have died over this 4 year term lessening his Trump's chances more.

Yes, there were a few overzealous individuals on Jan6 and they should have been prosecuted. But the vast majority of those you call rioters are best represented by this Public Enemy Number One...

https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2021-01/12/22/tmp/0308066dc00f/9a5e411bcef2895088754ac24a6568bc-23.jpg?crop=625:327;0,89

• Registered Users Posts: 40,088 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭Christy42

Overzealous people who killed someone? I believe that is exactly what people are talking about when they say revisionist history. I have said before I was tracking the donald.win before and after that err... "kerfuffle". The tone shift was immediate from egging on violence to pretending they were always perfectly peaceful and never discussed violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

719 charged so far. In the US not everyone arrested is charged. So far more arrested. Overzealous is trolling.

Noto needs help.

The only person killed in the protest was a unarmed woman protestor who was climbing through a window by an overzealous police officer. Why does your side keep that proven lie that anyone else was killing, going? Do you not see how comments like that are laughable when you talk about other's lies?

Trump and all other former US Presidents are not above the law. But we both know the Legislative Branch of the government often works against the president for pure political reasons, the 2 purely political impeachments of Trump are prime examples, and Executive Privilege helps guard from compulsory process of the legislative or judicial branches of the government, and maintains the separation of powers.

I lived through Watergate. The crooks and those who masterminded it should have been arrested. But the spying of the opposing campaigns was nothing new. John F Kennedy was great at it. Nixon was stupid and got caught in the cover-up as he had nothing to do with the break-in. It would have been better for him to have taken the tapes out on the Whitehouse lawn and burned them. Nowadays they just gain FISA warrants to spy on the other campaign by fraudulent means… and get away with it.

Do you think all the high ranking democrats, included Obama who demanded to be kept abreast of the spying as it happened according to sources, should be prosecuted, for their part in the apparent criminal FISA warrant by lies, deceit, and forgeries to spy on Trump’s campaign?

And there is no similarities between Capone and Nixon investigations to the aids, advisors, and associates of Donald Trump. Ridiculous.

Nixon drove the coverup. You're not the only one here that lived through Watergate. Plenty of his aides went to prison.

Keep your revisionism to Trump. Remember that Ford pardoned Nixon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,468 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Do you hold the view that BLM protests were nothing really and only for a few overzealous individuals were nothing to even think about?

lol overzealous police officer. Not sure what female has to do with it but she was female. Given over 100 police officers were hospitilised that day do you think he should have stuck around to find out how peaceful this group forcing themselves through a window to get at the elected representatives. The ones shouting murder with a nice noose outside? The same ones who had been calling for violence against Pelosi, Biden and Pence beforehand and during?

You are correct the death I was thinking of was later ruled natural though the events of that day affected. I change my statement to the "overzealous" people who hospitilised over 100 police officers.

Other people's lies? Are you going with that with a straight face? Aside from pushing the big lie on here and supporting the man whose main constant is lying?

As in the case of the few overzealous protestors that caused destruction of property in the capital should be prosecuted, the same should have happened with the many BLM and antifa protestors that caused destruction of property and harm from their violent actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,191 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"But Trump" is not a good look, to signal out Trump supporters while turning a blind eye to similar events. Do you hold there should be equal justice under the law? Do you hold the hundreds of thousand of protestors across American cities that caused injury to police officers and property damage, primarily by BLM and antifa from reports, should ALL be prosecuted like the several hundred on Jan 6? In 2000 the police association noted 2,000 law enforcement officers were injured during those protests.

• Advertisement

Did they commit federal offenses? Jurisdiction matters - local protests are a matter for the states to adjudicate.

So you disagree with Trumps depiction of them as a thugs, terrorists and anarchists? If you recall he was calling out governors for not stamping out the portestors. What of course you wanted him to do was simply accept that some of them get a bit overzealous but mainly they are not a problem!

Probably a couple dozen. Take a look at the outcome of many that were prosecuted in the link. The vast majority were found "Not Guilty – all charges." Sure looks like the overwhelming arrests were a waste of government time and simply a witch-hunt orchestrated against Trump supporters who merely felt they had the right to go into the "People's House" and have their voices heard.

Guilty of "Parading in a Capitol Building" seems to the the most serious of offenses for those found guilty. Laughable, wouldn't you say?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_charges_in_the_2021_United_States_Capitol_attack

I'll say it again... those that caused destruction of property and engaged in violence should be prosecuted!!!!! Yes, I would say those that were at ALL the protests including the one on Jan 6, that were simply not where they should have been and did not participate in violence or destruction of property, should not be prosecuted.

This is the Trump thread so in this case "But Antifa" is not a good look. i am talking about Trump because this is the Trump thread. Yes any "overzealous" protestors from BLM riots should be prosecuted however the crimes are very much not the same. One is a protest turning into a riot and the other is attempting to overturn democratic results using violence.

Edit: There is also no but Trump. You referred to the Jan 6 violence as some protestors as being overzealous. Now you are annoyed I have referred to Jan 6.

The vast majority of protestors on Jan 6 were not attempting to overturn the election results. They only wanted their voices heard by their 'representatives" in government. Suggesting otherwise is quite silly.

I am not annoyed by your referring to Jan 6. I'm annoyed at the blatant hypocrisy of most here because it's Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,487 ✭✭✭✭briany

They had no business whatsoever entering the Capitol. Not a single one of them. If they want to protest, do as the others did on the day and leave it outside.

Voices heard about what? What exactly did they want to talk to their reps about? They had their voices heard at the ballot box, and lost. But since they didn't accept that they wanted even more time to discuss it?

And what did they expect to gain from their voices being heard? Wasn't going to change the outcome.

They didn't want their voices heard, they wanted to get their own way. They had been convinced by Trump that the election was stolen. If ones accepts that that is what they believe, then it really isn't unreasonable that they would won't the fraud stopped and the real winner, ie Trump, declared.

Isn't that what was really going on? Trump had told them that the election had been stolen, that indeed their voice had been silenced. So they went to the capital to correct the injustice.

The other alternative is they didn't believe the election was stolen, in which case what exactly did they want to voice to their their reps?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

A couple of months back they were claiming that the person shot was a "young girl", so it is a bit of progress in that they have very slightly turned down the scale of irrelevance.

• Advertisement

Trump, in his speech told them to go to the Capital to “peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard.” From all accounts they wanted their Representatives to hear them that they though certifying the election was premature at this point because of all the problems and suspect behavior dealing with the election.

Advertisement