Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

iPhone SE 32gb is this a bargain?

• 22-07-2017 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if this is a bargain for an unlocked IPhone SE 32 gb?

I'm not familiar with iPhone prices but am looking for a good 4" unlocked phone with good memory. €369 is cheaper than apple's site.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Q&A

Seems a good price for argos

http://checkargos.com/product/6875985

But from a quick google I found it cheaper here

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/apple-iphone-se-32gb-sim-free-unlocked-space-gray.html

I'm open to correction as I don't have one but I'd double check the argos specs - I've never heard of an iphone with expandable storage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Stick to Argos if your getting it. Far less hassle with warranty returns if something goes wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Stick to Argos if your getting it. Far less hassle with warranty returns if something goes wrong

Definitely go with Argos. I bought it off them in May (although I paid 469 !! After a few days I had an issue with the sound and calls. Went back into Argos - not even the store I bought it in and it was exchanged on the spot. Nothing like peace of mind

Edit. By the way 369 is a fantastic price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Maz2016 wrote: »
    Definitely go with Argos. I bought it off them in May (although I paid 469 !! After a few days I had an issue with the sound and calls. Went back into Argos - not even the store I bought it in and it was exchanged on the spot. Nothing like peace of mind

Edit. By the way 369 is a fantastic price

Exactly. I have had no issues with Argos ever.

I don't know if eglobal can be got in teh EU small claims court if they refused to cover something in warranty is my thinking. I know they have European warehouses but I'm not sure of the legality if say you needed to try and claim off them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

I getting product not available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Looks like that colour out of stock think silver and rose gold are same price

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

Excellent price, I'm tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭torrevieja

I wouldnt buy of Argos A lot of there Laptops etc are older than the models out there and when i rang dell they said that the model i was sold was not the latest edition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Wrong link.

I have a code for Ashbourne if anyone wants it for a silver. Collection Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

long_b wrote: »
    I getting product not available

You're on your phone, switch to desktop view, else it won't show up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,813 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

theres a few on adverts and done deal for a little cheaper, some private some shops

• Registered Users Posts: 23,813 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

sugarman wrote: »
    Decent price alright but fairly underwhelming specs wise this day and age.

Not turning into Apple v Android here, fan of both, but theres better value for money out there.

been thinking about getting one of these for a while as I like the 4 inch screen for one and I do like the iphones
    what I would like is an android fone with a 4inch screen so if you can recommend one that would be great
    I've only ever had an android fone and that wont change (mobdro) but have owned an ipad and ipod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Tempted tempted. Daughter has a 5s needing replacement and these are available in Argos UK where I am going on Wednesday.
    If I buy (and collect within the 7 days allowed) can it be returned to an Irish store if it goes faulty?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

mailburner wrote: »
    been thinking about getting one of these for a while as I like the 4 inch screen for one and I do like the iphones
    what I would like is an android fone with a 4inch screen so if you can recommend one that would be great
    I've only ever had an android fone and that wont change (mobdro) but have owned an ipad and ipod

It simply doesn't exist. The SE is a good buy at this price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,911 ✭✭✭dodzy

torrevieja wrote: »
    I wouldnt buy of Argos A lot of there Laptops etc are older than the models out there and when i rang dell they said that the model i was sold was not the latest edition
    Irrelevant. If you're buying an SE, they are hardly going to give you a 5/5S instead.

Great price, for a great phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

Sup08 wrote: »
    Wrong link.

I have a code for Ashbourne if anyone wants it for a silver. Collection Monday.
    Yes please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

torrevieja wrote: »

How is it Argos fault, if you failed to do some basic research on the model you purchased?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Phonicks

got a code for a silver in blanchardstown to give away PM me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭trompele

Wexford code for silver model if anyone interested.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

It might lock to the first sim card put it

Alpha_zero wrote: »
    It might lock to the first sim card put it

nah when you buy from vodafone, three etc they subsidise the price and then lock them to make sure the user will paying them for calls texts and data so they will eventually get the full cost of the phone and more in return, you can eventually get them unlocked and the stay unlocked for life

argos is not a provider so will are selling it unlocked and it will remain so

Phonicks wrote: »
    nah when you buy from vodafone, three etc they subsidise the price and then lock them to make sure the user will paying them for calls texts and data so they will eventually get the full cost of the phone and more in return, you can eventually get them unlocked and the stay unlocked for life

argos is not a provider so will are selling it unlocked and it will remain so
    Mr.S wrote: »
    No, this is a practise networks use on some phones, mostly android devices.

These are sim free iPhones. Basically the same as buying direct from Apple.

There is some confusion around this, a sim free phone is not the same as a factory unlocked phone, the person in argos told me that the phone would lock to the first network, and apple sales said the same thing.

There is some confusion around this, a sim free phone is not the same as a factory unlocked phone, the person in argos told me that the phone would lock to the first network, and apple sales said the same thing.

Interesting, were they sitting beside you in a pub?

Or

Your probably mixing it up with activation lock

Well that's complete rubbish. I bought the iPhone SE in Argos in May. Put my 3 SIM card in. Then I ported over to meteor and put my Meteor sim in and that worked no problem! Then, I put my Spanish sim in(had it before roaming changed) and that worked. So you are not tied to any network if you buy in Argos

Well that's complete rubbish. I bought the iPhone SE in Argos in May. Put my 3 SIM card in. Then I ported over to meteor and put my Meteor sim in and that worked no problem! Then, I put my Spanish sim in(had it before roaming changed) and that worked. So you are not tied to any network if you buy in Argos

Since you've been using an SE since May would you recommend this phone Maz2016? :)

Does buying a phone in Argos offer the same guarantees/warranty/return options as buying from a phone shop 3/Vodafone etc? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Phonicks wrote: »
    Interesting, were they sitting beside you in a pub?

Or

Your probably mixing it up with activation lock

I worked in phone retail for several years and there are ways of making a handset lock to the first network. However this is done when the intention is that the phone will be subject to a contract or a pay as you go agreement where a minimum topup would be needed to unlock.

I'd find it hard to believe that argos are selling a phone that's restricted in this way. If they describe it as sim free, it is sim free. If it were to then lock to the first provider you used, it would fall eligible for a refund, repair or replacement for up to six years (provided that, if it's more than six months old, you can prove a fault existed when purchased - which won't be too hard if your receipt says sim free and the handset is telling you it's network locked).

Since you've been using an SE since May would you recommend this phone Maz2016? :)

Yeah I would. Saying that I had the 16GB 4s model which had got old and slow. If your upgrading from an iPhone it's great as everything carried over including texts, photos etc. The SE has Apple Pay , so if your with AIB/Ulster bank you can use it for that. It allows you delete a lot of the apps that come on the phone as default. I find the camera good, although I don't use it a lot. I paid 469 and I'm glad I purchased it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

That's incorrect, not sure why they told you that.

This phone is 100% sim free, regardless of what sim you first put in. That practise is done when you buy a subsidised phone from a network.

It happens in the US, if you buy a SIM free device and insert an AT&T SIM it'll lock itself to them. Crazy but ongoing.

• Advertisement

That's incorrect, not sure why they told you that.

This phone is 100% sim free, regardless of what sim you first put in. That practise is done when you buy a subsidised phone from a network.

The SE is a great phone, it's basically an iPhone 6S (bar a different selfie camera and no force touch) with the design of the iPhone 5/S, so it's perfect you want the smaller screen size. I use one as my work phone and love it.

You get the same warranty as any store, and Argos are pretty good at replacing faulty stock. You also get the standard warranty direct with Apple if Argos cause any issues.

I contacted Apple sales and they also said it would lock to the first network, sim Free means the phone was once locked to a network, as opposed to Factory unlocked where the phone was never restricted.

Advertisement