Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Really weak fingernails

• 30-12-2006 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭

Any ideas on what I can use to try and strengthen my nails. They are weak and brittle. I have used every nail hardener/strengthener I could find and they do not work. I have a drawer full of useless products that make all sorts of promises.I have tried taking supplements with silica, that didn't work either.My hair and skin are ok, it's just the nails.
    I have just cut them short, there is no point trying to grow them.Has anyone used anything that actually worked.:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Oils like Omega 3 and fatty acids are good for the nails, though if your skin and hair are ok that mighten't be the reason your nails are weak. Nail varnishes strengthen your nails, and Cutex nail varnish remover has some sort of nail-strengthening ingredient in it.

Vaseline Intensive Care hand cream is also fantastic for your nails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭lilrayosunshine

Stop cutting and start filing.. cutting your nails can shock them..

Eat more protein! Eggs are best-full of protein!

Try not to paint your nails for a while because using nail varnish remover can damage your nails (even when it says it won't)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

zinc supplements are also good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

So are calcium supplements.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Thanks everyone,
    I'm off to the chemist to get Omega 3 oils, zinc, calcium tablets, vaseline intensive hand cream and half a dozen eggs in the shop next door. If all this doesn't work I'm buying falsies.
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

I've tried everything to help my nails but the only thing I can do is keep them short. They're really flexible and they peel a lot. I can't use any sort of polish on them because it just ends up peeling off with the top layer of the nail and causes all the underlying layers to peel off slowly as well. Good luck!

Advertisement