Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

GT89 wrote: »
    Bray-Harristown would be a hell of a dead run and a waste of fuel. Donnybrook is in an ideal location for handovers on n11 services.

Fair point. I wonder what routes would use Harristown

• Registered Users Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Bambi wrote: »
    Take a look at the railings in the foreground, the lampost down the street, the church in the background. This was a handsome city once.

Then compare them to the brushed aluminium bus stop, the bus paint scheme, the dog ugly Luas in the background and SIPTU Towers looming above it all to put the tin hat of crapness on the scene

Vandalism.

Most of the 19th and 20th century churches in Dublin are sin ugly.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

As the first example of a "Dublin Junction", this clearly needs work. Very frustrating that we've decided to ignore what's been happening in other countries and tried to come up with a brand new way of doing it.

https://twitter.com/Feljin_J/status/1368994310012735494

It should be better once the light sequence is fixed to prioritise cyclists, and not have them start at the same time (they can't seriously be planning on keeping it this way, right?), but even so, it's a definite downgrade in safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Qrt

CatInABox wrote: »
    As the first example of a "Dublin Junction", this clearly needs work. Very frustrating that we've decided to ignore what's been happening in other countries and tried to come up with a brand new way of doing it.

https://twitter.com/Feljin_J/status/1368994310012735494

It should be better once the light sequence is fixed to prioritise cyclists, and not have them start at the same time (they can't seriously be planning on keeping it this way, right?), but even so, it's a definite downgrade in safety.

WHY isn’t there a flashing amber for bikes? That way you could just move to the second light (which shouldn’t even be the second one) and wait, or you could turn left pretty much straight away. I spent a summer in Germany where pedestrian greens and car greens conflicted, but because there’s a much more refined driving culture there, it ended up okay. I wasn’t a massive fan of it but cars always stopped for me and never ever even dared to use the horn...

Needs an urgent review.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

More to the point why doesn't he just move out into the right turn lane, instead of wasting a huge amount of time waiting at 2 sets of lights.
    I hate stupid cycle lanes like that, but you shouldn't just follow bad design for the sake of it use a bit of common sense and move right before the junction to be in the correct lane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

More to the point why doesn't he just move out into the right turn lane, instead of wasting a huge amount of time waiting at 2 sets of lights.
    I hate stupid cycle lanes like that, but you shouldn't just follow bad design for the sake of it use a bit of common sense and move right before the junction to be in the correct lane

I think he was just making a point.

If the design is for everyday people, most would feel uncomfortable doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Qrt wrote: »
    If the design is for everyday people, most would feel uncomfortable doing that.

exactly, these designs need to be safely usable by a child. I'm comfortable mixing with traffic and taking the lane etc, but many people aren't and that's what keeps them from cycling.

The comments there suggest the compromise was as a result of complaints by disability campaigners. Genuine question - is there a serious problem with the sight-impaired being hit by bikes in the Netherlands? Because the trade off with that junction is putting cyclists in danger.
    WHY isn’t there a flashing amber for bikes?

arguably there should be a flashing amber for cars turning left to make it explicit that they have to yield to bikes continuing straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭noelfirl

Anyone know if there's any 'regulatory significance' to the line of flashing cats eyes on the arms or are they just a sort of courtesy 'driver beware, please do not run over wheeled person'?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

loyatemu wrote: »
    exactly, these designs need to be safely usable by a child. I'm comfortable mixing with traffic and taking the lane etc, but many people aren't and that's what keeps them from cycling.

The comments there suggest the compromise was as a result of complaints by disability campaigners. Genuine question - is there a serious problem with the sight-impaired being hit by bikes in the Netherlands? Because the trade off with that junction is putting cyclists in danger.

I have no idea if there a serious problem with the sight-impaired being hit by bikes in the Netherlands but I understand the concerns. Ped islands are often not wide enough for someone pushing a buggy or a wheelchair and make the crossing distance longer for them or anyone else starting from the footpath.

Looking at the drawing for this junction, the cycle crossing lane should be shifted closer to the parallel pedestrian crossing. This allows left turning cars to turn the corner and be closer to perpendicular with cyclists continuing straight. The "shoulders" of the junction should be much bigger and the approach altered slightly to give better lines of running for cyclists.

Another issue (possibly the main one), is that drivers in Ireland aren't used to giving way and instinctively put the foot down as soon as they get a green light. The driving culture needs to change and, as you say, a flashing amber for left turning cars would help.

• Advertisement

There is a flashing amber for left turning vehicles...no?

https://twitter.com/feljin_j/status/1368994315259830277?s=21

My point was that I think the first bike light should be flashing amber so bikes turning left aren’t held up unnecessarily.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There is a flashing amber for left turning vehicles...no?

https://twitter.com/feljin_j/status/1368994315259830277?s=21

My point was that I think the first bike light should be flashing amber so bikes turning left aren’t held up unnecessarily.

There is a line of flashing amber beacons on the road but they don't achieve much. Looking at the video again, at the first lights, the signal for cars seems to be a full green plus a solid amber left arrow. Perhaps it would be better with a green straight on arrow and flashing amber left arrow.

The point of the junction design was to avoid any potential conflicts between pedestrians and cyclists. A flashing amber so bikes can continue across the pedestrian crossing but must give away to pedestrians would be reasonable imo but the intention was full separation so cyclists get held on a red when pedestrians cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    A flashing amber so bikes can continue across the pedestrian crossing but must give away to pedestrians would be reasonable imo but the intention was full separation so cyclists get held on a red when pedestrians cross.

all pedestrian crossings should have a flashing amber for cyclists. A person on a bike is not a small car - road designers, the NTA etc don't seem to realise this.

(this is going a bit off topic for Busconnects though).

loyatemu wrote: »
    all pedestrian crossings should have a flashing amber for cyclists. A person on a bike is not a small car - road designers, the NTA etc don't seem to realise this.

(this is going a bit off topic for Busconnects though).

I don't think any road designers or anyone in the NTA think that a person on a bike is a small car. Advocacy groups for people with disabilities argued that there should be clear priority for pedestrians at cross and so cyclists should be held on red. I'm not saying that is right, I'm just saying this is one of the principles when the junction and the signalling was designed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Just seen on one of the Dublin Bus & CIE Buses FB group that GT116 is sporting the new TFI livery! Photo attached (all credits to Dublin Bus Photo Group). Must say the yellow doesn't really suit the front bumper of the GTs all that well.

p_haugh wrote: »
    Just seen on one of the Dublin Bus & CIE Buses FB group that GT116 is sporting the new TFI livery! Photo attached (all credits to Dublin Bus Photo Group). Must say the yellow doesn't really suit the front bumper of the GTs all that well.

They’re easily spotted now, often see the odd one on the 77a or 27. I love them really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭p_haugh

They’re easily spotted now, often see the odd one on the 77a or 27. I love them really.

Yeah they've been repainting the SGs for a few months, I believe around 50 are done now - GT116 is the first GT done however. Also noticed they switched the Dublin bus logo on the near side to show the Irish version first on this!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I have to say, I'm really liking the new livery in general *.

I've seen a lot out and about in the last few weeks and in the sun and with green leaves popping out in trees, I have to say they look really well.

Bright and colourful, without being twee. Much nicer then the old DB livery IMO.

* Yes, only issue being the yellow can be a bit much on the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Looks like ET

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

bk wrote: »
    Bright and colourful, without being twee. Much nicer then the old DB livery IMO.

*sad Dublin Bus noises*

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Strange livery application at front, would have been better if they left the lights yellow and and pained the Wright logo on the front in black.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

You'd want to give it a little smiley face (well a mouth or a nose to go with the two sets of eyes), Bussy McBusface

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

athlone573 wrote: »
    You'd want to give it a little smiley face (well a mouth or a nose to go with the two sets of eyes), Bussy McBusface

I always thought vehicle designs such as buses were slightly anthropomorphic or have elements of animals of some description. For example, many coaches go for a design that is reminiscent of grasshoppers with the wing mirrors resembling the antenna like structures on insect creatures.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

AngryLips wrote: »
    *sad Dublin Bus noises*

To be honest, I think regardless of the NTA pushing it or not, the Dublin Bus livery had become dated and was due a livery update regardless. I did quiet like the DB inspired Hybrid demo's livery too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

p_haugh wrote: »
    Must say the yellow doesn't really suit the front bumper of the GTs all that well.

Interesting number plate arrangement though...

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Interesting number plate arrangement though...

They had to wait for the custard to fully set I suppose.

They stick them back on at the Garage with double sided tape or silicone type glue.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

They've taken down a load of bus stops along the Howth Rd, should be seeing the new poles going in over the next few days. Looking forward to seeing them.

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    They've taken down a load of bus stops along the Howth Rd, should be seeing the new poles going in over the next few days. Looking forward to seeing them.

Why though, it's a pole, there was absolutely nothing wrong with the yellow ones.
    Also a huge waste of money....

A bus pole isn't going to attract people to use a bus.

What an absolute waste of money, improvement of services, speed up buses, get dwell times cut, traffic issues, lights, bus stops that can take a bus and sort out the absolute sh1t show of these poles they are erecting everywhere impeding traffic.

Advertisement