Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Taxi Driving PSV licence

Options
  • 25-03-2008 9:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Where do you apply for the PSV licence?

Cant seem to find this anywhere on the net.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

http://www.taxiregulator.ie/

Maybe something here and if not, they'll point in the right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Your first stop is your local garda station. TR will take over the issuing of licences some time in the near future. But atm it's your local garda...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Your first stop is your local garda station. TR will take over the issuing of licences some time in the near future. But atm it's your local garda...

Not every Garda station will take an application of you straight off. Many stations will take an application from you during an "in season"; a specified time when they will accept forms. I am unsure what stations do this so you will need to contact them individually.

You will need to find two reliable referees and obtain a Tax Clearance Cert (TC1); if you are a PAYE employee, it will take no time to issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Andystoran

Thanks,

How long does it take to get the test and results?

Andystoran wrote: »
    Thanks,

How long does it take to get the test and results?

Somebody on here posted that the queues are very long for the test at the minute; your best bet is to ask the Carriage Office (If you ever get through to them). From sitting the test to getting your license, it is a bare minimum of 6 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

Just applied for mine yesterday, this is how I went about it:

1. Registered with the revenue on this form http://www.revenue.ie/forms/formtr1.pdf

2. The revenue wrote back to me when I was registered to confirm I was registered, then I applied for Tax Clearance from the revenue using this form

http://www.revenue.ie/forms/webtc1.pdf

You can do it online but I didn't bother.

3. I went to my local Garda Station to pick up an application form for a PSV Licence.

4. When I received that I went to my local motor tax office to pay the fee of €16.00, they issued me with a receipt to bring to the Garda Station

You need the names, addresses and contact telephone numbers for two referees who will vouch for you on your application form.

2/3 (form says 2 but Garda said 3) head & shoulder photographs 3" x 4" (not passport size)

You need to produce your full licence for inspection, a copy of it is to sent with the application.

In my area tests are approximately every 6 weeks, I just missed the last round so I expect to be called in mid May.

What you need:

Tax Clearance Cert
    2/3 Photos
    Receipt from Motor Tax Office
    Copy of Driving Licence ( & original to produce to Garda)
    Application Form

Hope that helps.

Just have to go learn my geography now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Andystoran

Cheers, thats everything i needed to know, much appreciated.:o

Shifty wrote: »
    Just applied for mine yesterday, this is how I went about it:

1. Registered with the revenue on this form http://www.revenue.ie/forms/formtr1.pdf

2. The revenue wrote back to me when I was registered to confirm I was registered, then I applied for Tax Clearance from the revenue using this form

http://www.revenue.ie/forms/webtc1.pdf

You can do it online but I didn't bother.

3. I went to my local Garda Station to pick up an application form for a PSV Licence.

4. When I received that I went to my local motor tax office to pay the fee of €16.00, they issued me with a receipt to bring to the Garda Station

You need the names, addresses and contact telephone numbers for two referees who will vouch for you on your application form.

2/3 (form says 2 but Garda said 3) head & shoulder photographs 3" x 4" (not passport size)

You need to produce your full licence for inspection, a copy of it is to sent with the application.

In my area tests are approximately every 6 weeks, I just missed the last round so I expect to be called in mid May.

What you need:

Tax Clearance Cert
    2/3 Photos
    Receipt from Motor Tax Office
    Copy of Driving Licence ( & original to produce to Garda)
    Application Form

Hope that helps.

Just have to go learn my geography now!

Good man, Shifty.

I had totally forgotten about the 3"x4" pictures; which are actually quite hard to find somewhere that takes them. By the way, your referees will be contacted directly by the Gardaí so tell them to expect a call soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Saint Patrick

takes about 4-6 weeks to call you for the test. Then 4-6 weeks for the results and then another 3 weeks to sort yourself out - collect badge, nct, etc. Try to do the psv pre-test before you go for the real psv exam as this will give you an idea of what is on the real exam.DO NOT TRY ringing the carriage office. Go into them, they are based in Dublin Castle. They never ever answer the phone.

Try to do the psv pre-test before you go for the real psv exam as this will give you an idea of what is on the real exam.

The pre-test is a waste of €300 IMO. It just parrot teaches you the required answers on the PSV test, which in itself is not at all hard; should you pass the test, you will still need to know how to get to them, which the pre test will never teach you.

Go pick up a decent street map, the Golden Pages and a tourist guide and learn off the main government offices, hotels, shops, tourist attractions and transport stations in Dublin, the streets and areas they are in and note how to get to them; after that, try learn some main streets, roads and areas of Dublin, as well as how to get to a few of the outside towns; Naas, Bray etc. Learn your fares and the Rules of the Road and after that, you will be fine. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shaydy

Can anyone tell me what the restrictions are for being granted a psv application by the garda?

Would a previous drink drive ban?

Thanks in advance

shaydy wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what the restrictions are for being granted a psv application by the garda?

Would a previous drink drive ban?

Thanks in advance

Any criminal record may affect your chances, though you have the right to appeal if refused. There are many instances of appeals being upheld in the courts.

Personally speaking here, if you have a drink driving ban and you want to apply for a PSV you have some f**king cheek.

Hamndegger wrote: »
    if you have a drink driving ban and you want to apply for a PSV you have some f**king cheek.

Thanks for the reply

If you have a ban ongoing there's no way of getting a licence and id agreed that would be cheeky however if you have had a ban and served your time surely it has to be assessed on a case by case basis?

There's a large difference between a glass of wine and getting done for being 0.002 over the limit that ten bottles and killing someone on the way home

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Thanks for the reply

If you have a ban ongoing there's no way of getting a licence and id agreed that would be cheeky however if you have had a ban and served your time surely it has to be assessed on a case by case basis?

There's a large difference between a glass of wine and getting done for being 0.002 over the limit that ten bottles and killing someone on the way home

Very true, however when it comes to your insurance be prepared for some seriously big figures, and yes they will want to see your license, so no porkies

Thanks for the reply

True, you have served your time but equally it shows how irresponsible you can be behind the wheel; would you feel confident if you knew your cabbie had a conviction for drink driving?

As it happens, the chances are you would get it but with a fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 happy37

True, you have served your time but equally it shows how irresponsible you can be behind the wheel; would you feel confident if you knew your cabbie had a conviction for drink driving?

As it happens, the chances are you would get it but with a fight.
    "as it happens" "chances are" "you would" you dont know what your talking about, stop waffling. If your ban is finished & your endorsements have ran their course, no problem.

happy37 wrote: »
    "as it happens" "chances are" "you would" you dont know what your talking about, stop waffling. If your ban is finished & your endorsements have ran their course, no problem.

Nice to see you have an excellent grasp of debating issues using facts and reason :rolleyes:

Gardaí do and still vet applicants and it is their call if you are in their eyes "unfit" to hold a PSV license. I said any convictions may affect your chances and that one may appeal a refusal if one has been barred. If you are of the opinion that those who have been disqualified from driving will absolutely not be refused, that isn't really any issue to me. How and ever, it is the case and a quick check of court records will show you that appeals from all manner of refused applicants happens on a very regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dinkydee

Thank you so much for information regarding taxi driving, it is much appreciated. Newbie with no idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Saint Patrick

My partner went out on road this week, oh and the stories he had..... anyway, never mind all that. Can anyone tell me where the taxi drivers go to the loo and where do they go to get a bite to eat? Is there a pit stop he does not know about???? Thanks guys!

My partner went out on road this week, oh and the stories he had..... anyway, never mind all that. Can anyone tell me where the taxi drivers go to the loo and where do they go to get a bite to eat? Is there a pit stop he does not know about???? Thanks guys!

Trees, Lucozade bottles, the odd garage with a loo thats accessable,any where quiet (but not so quiet you'd get mugged :eek:), Airport is a good bet (it's clean, except for the Kesh in Dublin)

• Advertisement

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Trees, Lucozade bottles, the odd garage with a loo thats accessable,any where quiet (but not so quiet you'd get mugged :eek:), Airport is a good bet (it's clean, except for the Kesh in Dublin)

Burger King around town is good as they keep later hours; that or ask nicely at hotels and they may let him. Food wise, it's 24 hour shops or fast food joints which pretty much means city centre. Avoid the Bitter Cabbie aka Spar Baggot Street if you want a rational sensible man to come home to you; it is the feeding house of misery guts.

For myself I like the Esso down at junction of Long Mile Road and Naas Road....Mmmmmm feel the caffine!!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

Burger King around town is good as they keep later hours; that or ask nicely at hotels and they may let him. Food wise, it's 24 hour shops or fast food joints which pretty much means city centre. Avoid the Bitter Cabbie aka Spar Baggot Street if you want a rational sensible man to come home to you; it is the feeding house of misery guts.
    good one how true :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 bopsy

Just applying for a licence myself at the moment. Is there work out there at the moment or are taxi drivers just trying to call the regulators bluff.
    Say I worked 4 week days 8am-5pm and then 1 weekend night from 7pm-3am.
    What kind of money is there to be made?
    I know this is hard to answer but a ball park figure would be handy.

bopsy wrote: »
    Just applying for a licence myself at the moment. Is there work out there at the moment or are taxi drivers just trying to call the regulators bluff.

For days on those hours, I'd expect a little over €100 per day. The Saturday would be better, I'd suggest €200ish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 bopsy

So probably better to vary the hours to take in a few evenings during the week as well?

So probably better to vary the hours to take in a few evenings during the week as well?

Yes; peak hours always means more potential customers. The two rush hours are fairly busy and should prove better for you.

Trust me you'd be mad to even consider it part time not let alone full time, there are just an unreal amount of cars out there now especially on weekend nights.

Before you shell out €7-8k on the plate etc why dont you take a spin into town some friday night at ten, drive from o'connell st up Georges st and straight up to Camden st and then come back down the same way and time yourself and see how many taxis are on the road

Its a large layout and you will work hard to get it back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

would a Garda who knows me be suitable as a referee? + who else would you recommend?

• Advertisement

would a Garda who knows me be suitable as a referee? + who else would you recommend?

Whomever you use, they need to be actually somebody who does actually know you and not just of of you. The Carriage Office will ring the referees and ensure that they do indeed know you so make sure it is somebody who knows you well and not just a fleeting contact. I don't believe that there is a problem using a Garda as one, no though I stand to be corrected on this.

Advertisement