Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Self driving buses, trains, trucks etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I think self-driving cars will get here eventually, but people underestimate the difficulties involved.

On one side, turning visual information into actionable data is very, very difficult. On the other, using network data (from traffic lights, other cars, traffic updates) is a security nightmare.

There's a big difference between a car that beeps when you are moving out of your lane, and a car that you get into, set your destination, and have a nap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

cnocbui wrote: »
    Have they managed to finish the software they thought could be written to get the F35 fighter to do all the things they said it could do?

Didn't think so.

The F35 needs hundreds of millions lines of code. It will take many people, many years to write that and test it.

The F35 in its current basic form is good to go and has already been combat proven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

My software writing skills aren't up to it. My son on the other hand would be well up for it, but he's working on something else at the moment. He is probably more skeptical than I am, and he writes code probably 12 hours a day, 365.

I'd trust the folks over at Google more than you and your son.

As I said before, you can be as enthusiastic or skeptical as you like.
    We'll know very soon what the future for autonomous cars looks like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Don't know about the rest of you, but I am looking forward to seeing driverless buses, trains, taxis and luas

It's really not as far away as people think

Why do idiots continue with this drivel!

It will NEVER EVER happen 'cause they couldn't or just wouldn't be
    able to factor in the human element or all the eventualities that
    govern or surround transport!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Probably because they watched too many SciFi movies.

• Advertisement

We'll see how well the Waymo rollout next month works.

prinzeugen wrote: »

Sure that's fair enough.

Most cars have a 20 odd year life, so decades for ubiquity is reasonable.
    I also don't mind the limited human interaction. Even if you have to take control 1% of the time, that's 99% autonomous.

Sure that's fair enough.

I also don't mind the limited human interaction. Even if you have to take control 1% of the time, that's 99% autonomous.

But not 100% driverless. That will never happen in our lifetime.

Sure that's fair enough.

If the 1% of time you have to take control is not predictable, then you have to spend 100% of the journey with your hands on the wheel, paying attention to your surroundings. Not snoozing, reading, watching movies...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It will NEVER EVER happen 'cause they couldn't or just wouldn't be able to factor in the human element or all the eventualities that govern or surround transport!
    humans are unable to factor in all the eventualities too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

My software writing skills aren't up to it. My son on the other hand would be well up for it, but he's working on something else at the moment. He is probably more skeptical than I am, and he writes code probably 12 hours a day, 365.

Good for him, there is a fortune to be made in IT for those with the right skills. If he is as good as you claim him to be, a job in Silicon Valley paying north of $250,000 a year awaits him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Never Ever? And you call other people idiots? ROFL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

My software writing skills aren't up to it. My son on the other hand would be well up for it
    If the target was actually self-aware general intelligence - real AI - who would be thinking that's only a decade away from full reality?

Kudos - an excellent humble-brag.:D
    Am wondering about one thing. Why do you think a successful (safer than human) self driving car would need to be "self aware" to do the job? (that's kind of what that comment suggests I think?)
    That seems like a very high bar.
    I suppose it may involve getting closer to a sort of (limited) "general intelligence" than machines have gotten before (seeing [via sensors] + interpreting what is seen and acting on it at a human level of ability for specific task of driving a vehicle on a public road - edit: it's one job but there is quite a lot involved in it), but why self aware?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

fly_agaric wrote: »

Kudos - an excellent humble-brag.:D
    Am wondering about one thing. Why do you think a successful (safer than human) self driving car would need to be "self aware" to do the job? (that's kind of what that comment suggests I think?)
    That seems like a very high bar.
    I suppose it may involve getting closer to a sort of (limited) "general intelligence" than machines have gotten before (seeing [via sensors] + interpreting what is seen and acting on it at a human level of ability for specific task of driving a vehicle on a public road - edit: it's one job but there is quite a lot involved in it), but why self aware?

Well I suppose it doesn't have to be self aware, I just suspect general intelligence might be inseparable from self awareness. Why do I think GI - because driving isn't wrote: ever observed another car, vehicle cyclist or pedestrian and read their intentions from their 'behaviour'; That 6-8 year old girl sprinting down the footpath in the direction of pedestrian crossing. No neural network is going to predict the next sequence of events. I look cars ahead often to be prepared. Anyone who thinks real driving in all weather conditions with multiple types of vehicles, objects, children pedestrians can be distilled to basically a complex but predictable scalextric set is simple minded.

A large amount of driving is entirely predictable, but the edge cases can be doozies.

Well I suppose it doesn't have to be self aware, I just suspect general intelligence might be inseparable from self awareness. Why do I think GI - because driving isn't wrote: ever observed another car, vehicle cyclist or pedestrian and read their intentions from their 'behaviour'; That 6-8 year old girl sprinting down the footpath in the direction of pedestrian crossing. No neural network is going to predict the next sequence of events. I look cars ahead often to be prepared. Anyone who thinks real driving in all weather conditions with multiple types of vehicles, objects, children pedestrians can be distilled to basically a complex but predictable scalextric set is simple minded.

A large amount of driving is entirely predictable, but the edge cases can be doozies.

You are talking about reaction times to random issues

A machine, with a multitude of sensors, will always out perform humans. This is old news

Folks can say this will not be coming for x many years but it will be coming sooner than most realise.

The big push to spread mass adoption will be from the insurance industry i.e. Drive yourself if you want, but expect to pay a farcical premium for the privilege

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That's exactly what a neural net does. It learns from experience just like humans do. The neural net for self driving cars won't be based off the information and experiences of just one car, it will be based on the millions of cars they have on the road collecting data.

Alpha Go is a great example of this. It was just given the rules of the game and then played game after game. It eventually discovered effective techniques and strategies that humans had developed. Over time it even discovered ones of its own that humans now use.

That's exactly what a neural net does. It learns from experience just like humans do. The neural net for self driving cars won't be based off the information and experiences of just one car, it will be based on the millions of cars they have on the road collecting data.

Alpha Go is a great example of this. It was just given the rules of the game and then played game after game. It eventually discovered effective techniques and strategies that humans had developed. Over time it even discovered ones of its own that humans now use.

A neural net can learn how to do things, only if it has encountered the circumstances before. No neural network can anticipate or predict, particularly by observing human behaviour - their sensor systems couldn't even 'see' the little girl running down the footpath, let alone understand how children behave nor anticipate or predict what could happen next.

I think general intelligence is required to match human driving capabilities. Neural nets don't come close.

Remember Musk saying he would have an autonomous car cross the US? His latest tweet:

"V9 moving to wide release now. Holding back Autopilot drive on navigation for a few more weeks of validation. Extremely difficult to achieve a general solution for self-driving that works well everywhere."

Another shining example of how just thinking something can be done with technology is faith-based rather than reality based is Musk's belief that Tesla could have factories stuffed full of robots and clever software that could make cars at blindingly fast speeds that humans couldn't begin to match - 24/7 365, even though Fiat, GM, Toyota and Nissan have all tried that. End result was Musk employing lots more people, sidelining a lot of robots and tweeting 'humans are underrated'. No kidding.

You are talking about reaction times to random issues

A machine, with a multitude of sensors, will always out perform humans. This is old news

Folks can say this will not be coming for x many years but it will be coming sooner than most realise.

The big push to spread mass adoption will be from the insurance industry i.e. Drive yourself if you want, but expect to pay a farcical premium for the privilege

Load of tosh from start to finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

markodaly wrote: »
    Never Ever? And you call other people idiots? ROFL

It will never, ever, ever, ever, happen! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭plodder

We're only a few years from seeing self driving lorry convoys on motorways. In truth though, automation has been creeping in for a few years already, like the emergency braking technology on trucks. The lowest hanging fruit will be picked first. Eg, self driving cars on motorways. No pedestrians, predictable, consistent road design, far fewer "targets" to track. There is huge value in being able to drive yourself to the m-way entrance and let the machine take over until you leave the motorway where you take over again. As regards self driving outside of highways/motorways, it will happen sooner in the US than here; that's for certain. Road design standards are much more consistent (and even rational) in the US. Though again, you might find that it will happen here on a subset of roads that have been electronically surveyed first and the automation knows what to expect as regards road/junction layout. So, the default would always be manually operated, but some segments of a journey might be automatable.

plodder wrote: »
    We're only a few years from seeing self driving lorry convoys on motorways.

How many is 'a few'? Three?

How much would you bet that by the end of 2021 there will have been
    - at least three convoys
    - containing at least three trucks per convoy
    - commercially operated (not a controlled test, but trucks carrying normal freight for an existing distributor)
    - completely self-driving, no human driver required once they enter the motorway (even if the driver has hardly anything to do, or is only there 'just in case', if a driver is required in the cab ready to take over it is not a self-driving vehicle)

RayCun wrote: »
    How many is 'a few'? Three?

How much would you bet that by the end of 2021 there will have been
    - at least three convoys
    - containing at least three trucks per convoy
    - commercially operated (not a controlled test, but trucks carrying normal freight for an existing distributor)
    - completely self-driving, no human driver required once they enter the motorway (even if the driver has hardly anything to do, or is only there 'just in case', if a driver is required in the cab ready to take over it is not a self-driving vehicle)
    I'd say if the driver is not driving, it is a self-driving vehicle (at least some of the time).

The point of my post was that the technology has already begun creeping in and will continue to do so.

The article below says we would have self-driving convoys by the end of this year. So, three years seems a cautious enough prediction.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/aug/25/semi-automated-truck-convoy-trials-get-uk-go-ahead-platooning

They would love convoy automation in Australia. As it is now, big semi's and road trains slipstream crossing the country, at least on the Nullabor bit, where one truck will drive with a bare 2m gap between it and the back of the one in front. The following truck saves a lot of fuel as it has no wind resistance. After a few hours of that, tail end charlie will overtake and take over making a hole in the air while the former lead coasts behind.

Potentially very dangerous, you would think, but they have been at it forever.

I'd say if the driver is not driving, it is a self-driving vehicle (at least some of the time).

I disagree, not if a driver is needed in the cab and might have to take over at any time.
    Putting your car in cruise control and taking your hands off the wheel doesn't make your car self-driving :)

The article below says we would have self-driving convoys by the end of this year. So, three years seems a cautious enough prediction.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/aug/25/semi-automated-truck-convoy-trials-get-uk-go-ahead-platooning

Note that the article was published in 2017 and said there would be trials in 2018, but the trials don't seem to have taken place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

Note that the article was published in 2017 and said there would be trials in 2018, but the trials don't seem to have taken place.

Paper never refuses ink.

I predict they will within three years though :pac:

On the definition of "self driving" there seems to be a consensus on how it is classified with five different levels.

In a way the truck convoy is a special case, in that the convoy is led by a human driver and the following vehicles aren't truly autonomous. But, it's an interesting case, because I'm convinced we will see them before any other kind of self-driving and the idea could spread to car convoys on motorways as well, with many of the same benefits as "true" autonomous cars.

There is huge value in being able to drive yourself to the m-way entrance and let the machine take over until you leave the motorway where you take over again.

This is what I would call self-driving. You get to the motorway and you don't have to lift a finger until you are leaving the motorway. Take a nap, read a book, watch a movie, eat a picnic - no engagement or attention required until you leave the motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

We'll see I suppose.
    As said many times already the technology companies think the approaches they have now or refinements/extensions of them (which presumably won't ever deliver us a self aware machine, just one very good at doing the task it has learned/been trained to do) are enough for a problem like driving + are shovelling resources at it to be "first".
    Assume a lot of heads will roll + large fortunes will go down the drain if they have gotten it as badly wrong as you think...

I'm not an expert at all but as far as I understand one of the difficulties with these neural network model approaches is almost the opposite of "predictability", that they are not easily understandable for humans. It is hard to pin down exactly why they have made a particular decision (which becomes very important when they make an incorrect decision that needs to be "debugged"/fixed) and simpler models are used to try and "explain" in a rough way what the neural network is doing/why it makes the choices it does. As mentioned above (new strategies found by ones trained to play games), they have thrown up surprises for their programmers/creators when applied to problems because of this unpredictable aspect.

Advertisement