Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N52 - Cloghan to Billistown [open to traffic]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I sometimes have to do a Tullamore-Belfast drive which can be a right pain, I've tried a few different ways including via the M50 and three tolls, via Navan is a good one but it's also a very poor road in places. A proper N52 for the whole length would be a god send.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭roadmaster

N52 Northbound.jpg

TII dont want motorists getting ideas there is further good road after Turin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

There was a stop-go on the Billistown end yesterday to allow workers to survey the area around the crossroads at that end. Looks like Westmeath CoCo are pushing on with bits and pieces they can be doing while tendering bigger stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

roadmaster wrote: »
    yeah it opened before Christmas, its on a bit of a go slow to finish for some reason, mainly just accommodation access roads, Fencing, one or two batters and landscaping still to be done. The fact that TII/WCC have let certain sections of the road open this long with out safety barrier has got me thinking maybe they have being penny pinching and they are not going to erect them.

Still no safety barrier as of yesterday and just a few guys about snagging stuff.

The road looks fairly well finished off since i traveled the route last (except for safety barrier mentioned already)

I'm not usually overly worried or vocal about safety items missing as I'd be the one saying "if they kept their eyes open they wont need them" :) but I am very surprised by the lack of barrier on this route. They have built up the road in one spot particular as you come East just past Cloghan Cross and there's a road down under you on the right and it doesnt take a lot to land down there. I cant see it been left like that but no sign of anyone doing anything at the minute about it.

cargo wrote: »
    Still no safety barrier as of yesterday and just a few guys about snagging stuff.

The road looks fairly well finished off since i traveled the route last (except for safety barrier mentioned already)

I'm not usually overly worried or vocal about safety items missing as I'd be the one saying "if they kept their eyes open they wont need them" :) but I am very surprised by the lack of barrier on this route. They have built up the road in one spot particular as you come East just past Cloghan Cross and there's a road down under you on the right and it doesnt take a lot to land down there. I cant see it been left like that but no sign of anyone doing anything at the minute about it.

I was in a NRDO office on semi official business last week and i asked where are the barriers in cloughan. I got told there where none as TII believe they cause more damage than they stop. So they are trying to phase them out in road design and have a more gental slope on a bank instead. They only problem is as you have seen in cloughan the drops are very severe. So somebody is not reading drawing correctly

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Passed by the bee hive this morning there seams to be a small compound set up. Possibly to do with this project?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Phase 2 of this has gone to tender: https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase.asp?PID=138268

6km of new Type 1 single carraigeway at a cost of €11m.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭hondar

marno21 wrote: »
    Phase 2 of this has gone to tender: https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase.asp?PID=138268

With a bit of luck this might start early next year.

topic.jpg

Stopped in the Cloghan Inn for lunch during the week and i read a small bit about the next phase in the local paper called the topic

• Advertisement

I presume thats all in including land purchases?

roadmaster wrote: »
    I presume thats all in including land purchases?
    Land purchase and advance works will likely be progressed in parallel with the tender process. I was surprised to see a tender appear this early to be honest.

It looks like the advance works have started at the Delvin end of this project as a good few trees have being chopped and hedges pulled.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Will this be a clear run of good road, now, between Delvin and Kilcormac?

Strange that this road is getting mostly Type 1 SC upgrades, whereas the N55 is getting mostly Type 2 SC...

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but perhaps the longer-term aim of TII is to redesignate this road N33?

Would make sense, if it were to become a National Primary, to have better standard SC than a National Secondary, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Hopefully, they done a super job on the 1st new road so hopefully be the same here, them narrow twisty parts of the road around Turin are a nightmare

Work to start shortly on this as per CIS

https://twitter.com/CISireland/status/1112736002773315584

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Kevtherev1

April Fools ? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

Will this be a clear run of good road, now, between Delvin and Kilcormac?

Delvin to Birr iwould be good road.

Though Birr needs a bypass of the N52/N62, hopefully extending past Riverstown. That would just leave the very poor section just before Borrisokane.

Does it take long before the contact award notice is shown on extenders? I presume ROD are clients rep again?

Sorry if this has been answered before, but are Fox's doing this one as well?

• Advertisement

Anyword on who got the project? It will be interesting when this is complete will westmeath county council turn there attention to north of Delvin and upgrade to meath border?

I see on etenders it says this contract award is gone for review. Does that mean there is an issue or is that standard ?

5233120-6 Road construction works
    Published notices Date of Dispatch Publishing status
    Contract notice (TED (v209)) 15-11-2018 19:10 Published
    Contract award notice (TED (v209)) 24-04-2019 19:10 Sent for review
    Lots

Just seen this seams to before valuation service and not construction

N52 Cloghan-Billistown Phase 2 awarded to Fox Building & Engineering

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=138268&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=2&PP=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders

€12m should start soon.

Props to BelfastVanMan for the scoop above. :)

Seems Fox's are slowly but surely rebuilding the National.Secondary network single-handedly! :-P

In all seriousness, though, should be a good job, and will plug the gap nicely between the upgraded parts south of Devlin and south of Turin Cross.

It will be good road nearly all the way from delvin to birr which will be fantastic. As mentioned above Borrisokane is in bits i dont think i drove on a surface as bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Passed here yesterday and was surprised to see diggers and all heavy equipment in already digging road path. Anyone know a timeline when it is due for completion?

dar_cool wrote: »
    Passed here yesterday and was surprised to see diggers and all heavy equipment in already digging road path. Anyone know a timeline when it is due for completion?

Fox's don't hang around.... :-D

dar_cool wrote: »

It’s good enough land with no structures of note to be built and nearly all off line I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s opened in 15 months

A few photos i took of the project last night. There is confirmation the boom is back as foxes have lovely new shiney site offices

• Advertisement

An a few more

Advertisement