Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portmarnock residents up in arms

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,364 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I wonder would you say that if you lived there.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Once they allow trains to overtake on the Dublin lines a lot of these problems will be resolved, current line is like something out of 1885 wild west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

I wonder would you say that if you lived there.

I wouldn't behave like that over a lousy 10 minutes

Once they allow trains to overtake on the Dublin lines a lot of these problems will be resolved, current line is like something out of 1885 wild west.

Is that even feasible?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,495 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Creative83 wrote: »
    Is that even feasible?

Some sections of the track could be tripple/quad tracked easily. but not all without smashing some houses.

• Advertisement

Some sections of the track could be tripple/quad tracked easily. but not all without smashing some houses.

Sure, we could decimate Clontarf, who needs them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,495 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Sure, we could decimate Clontarf, who needs them :rolleyes:

Why so negative, way less that 10% of Clontarf required. While the line between Kilbarack and Raheny would have houses right up to the lines, about half the line between Raheny and Harmonstown would have space for quad tracks, and from Killester Station to Clontarf road (except for the bit when the Howth road goes under the line).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/morning-trains-from-portmarnock-into-dublin-city-centre-to-reduce-frequency-1.3615664

I don't see their issue here... what I do see is that they are upset to be taken off the commuter line trains which will add 10 mins to their journeys via DART. :rolleyes:

That is really what they are complaining about, the quick diesel into town.

Oh well, times change, move on.

They're complaining about less trains during the busiest hour of the day. From 6 trains to 3 between 8 and 9 am. It means even more people having to get already over crowded darts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/morning-trains-from-portmarnock-into-dublin-city-centre-to-reduce-frequency-1.3615664

I don't see their issue here... what I do see is that they are upset to be taken off the commuter line trains which will add 10 mins to their journeys via DART.

not move on as times change isn't relevant, and they feel they have a legitimate complaint.
    Rubbish because there will be also a greater frequency of Darts through Howth Junction... the darts are practically empty from Malahide on which Portmarnock is the first stop

apparently the greater dart frequency will still leave less trains then what they currently have. so if true, then it's most certainly not rubbish.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

apparently the greater dart frequency will still leave less trains then what they currently have..

the number of trains is not really relevant though, just the actual overall capacity available. So if empty darts provide more capacity than 90% full commuters it's still a win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the number of trains is not really relevant though, just the actual overall capacity available. So if empty darts provide more capacity than 90% full commuters it's still a win

i'd disagree that it's a win. more like trading frequency for capacity. for it to be a win in my book, they would need to keep the same level of service as they have now with a capacity increase as well.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

i'd disagree that it's a win.
    of course you do...
    more like trading frequency for capacity. for it to be a win in my book, they would need to keep the same level of service as they have now with a capacity increase as well.
    but that's not realistic is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

I thought the point of the 10 minute darts was frequency. Being sold as everyone as you can walk down the station whenever without a long wait.

Yet now the passengers of these 3 stations are being told actually its for capacity. The exact reason we’re being told the timetable needs to change, for frequency not capacity. Slightly bizarre. As a commuter I’d much prefer the current regular 70% full trains with standing space at the 3 stations then a 20 minute gap just to sit on a slower train.

(And with high frequency buses due to serve some of these stations under Bus Connects, the link from north county stations to places like Beaumont, DCU etc are practically severed).

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭d15ude

Yes, times are changing. There are more houses in the area than ever before.
    If anything, there should be more and quicker trains!

I'm in D15, so no personal stakes in Portmarnock.
    But same issues here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I don't see their issue here... what I do see is that they are upset to be taken off the commuter line trains which will add 10 mins to their journeys via DART. :rolleyes:

Did you read any of that article?

In what parallel universe do you expect people dependent on a service to be content with a reduction in that service?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭PCros

This really has nothing to do with getting to town quicker on a diesel – yes it was nice sometimes to fly into/ out of town but that’s not the issue here.

I have used Portmarnock now for over 4 years and primarily used trains in between 7:30 and 8:15 in which I had a choice of 5 trains.

In short that time frame is the busiest time of the morning and now with the new timetable there will be only 3 trains within that timeframe which is madness to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

By that logic, if the frequency of trains is not relevant, then why bother with a 10 min DART in the first place?

Portmarnock station is very much a commuter station. Massive passenger numbers heading southbound in the morning and northbound in the evening. DARTs are empty during the day. They will be rammed at 7-8am and 6-7pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

d15ude wrote: »
    Yes, times are changing. There are more houses in the area than ever before.
    If anything, there should be more and quicker trains!

I'm in D15, so no personal stakes in Portmarnock.
    But same issues here.

Worse in D15.

There are plans for ~900 homes immediately north and south of the station as part of Fingal CoCo's Local Area Plan. Some have been built, more are in the process of being finished and about to go on the market.

NTA's response? Cut frequency.

This will put more cars on the road. Cars which otherwise would be sat on a driveway a mere stone's throw from the platform. I know of 2 families who are changing their morning routine - dropping kids to creche, then drive to work rather than take the commuter train as they currently do.

Rubbish because there will be also a greater frequency of Darts through Howth Junction... the darts are practically empty from Malahide on which Portmarnock is the first stop

Wrong and wrong.

Greater frequency through Howth Jct. Does not mean greater frequency through Clongriffin and Portmarnock as half of those trains will take the Howth spur.

Portmarnock is the second stop and is already standing room only at rush hour.

• Advertisement

NTA's response? Cut frequency.

You couldn't make it up!

Also, isn’t part of the new Bus Connect system for Swords and surrounding areas to be more reliant on the rail network too? How exactly is this going to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

PCros wrote: »
    You couldn't make it up!

Also, isn’t part of the new Bus Connect system for Swords and surrounding areas to be more reliant on the rail network too? How exactly is this going to work?

It's not

lawred2 wrote: »
    It's not

Could you explain why not?

There are two new proposed bus routes from Swords:
    -1 serving Malahide and Portmarnock stations every 20 mins (281)
    -1 serving Malahide station every 30 mins (60L)

Also from Kinsealy there is a route directly to Clongriffin station (280).

Pages 16/17 - https://busconnects.ie/media/1307/busconnects-local-brochure-dublin-outer-north-web_tagged_resised.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Word is that IE/the NTA may be about to review the Howth Junction and Portmarnock stops, how soon any action will come from the review however is unknown, but remember this timetable is only valid for 3 months.

GM228 wrote: »
    Word is that IE/the NTA may be about to review the Howth Junction and Portmarnock stops, how soon any action will come from the review however is unknown, but remember this timetable is only valid for 3 months.

I wonder what alternative solutions are open to them.

Reverting to the original diesel stops probably doesn't fit alongside 10 mins DART schedule south of Howth Jct.

What about a rush hour DART shuttle from Malahide to Howth Jct? It's a pity the Howth Jct platform layout wouldn't allow for this shuttle to continue back up the Howth spur, in effect creating a 3 point V shaped shuttle service.

Any other options?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

I wonder what alternative solutions are open to them.

Reverting to the original diesel stops probably doesn't fit alongside 10 mins DART schedule south of Howth Jct.

What about a rush hour DART shuttle from Malahide to Howth Jct? It's a pity the Howth Jct platform layout wouldn't allow for this shuttle to continue back up the Howth spur, in effect creating a 3 point V shaped shuttle service.

Any other options?

There is plenty of padding so stopping once more at the stations is an option.

Wrong and wrong.

Greater frequency through Howth Jct. Does not mean greater frequency through Clongriffin and Portmarnock as half of those trains will take the Howth spur.

Portmarnock is the second stop and is already standing room only at rush hour.
    Please don't make up stuff and pretend it's a quote of mine...

Please don't make up stuff and pretend it's a quote of mine...

Apologies, should be a quote from OP, quoted from post #10. Had to manually fudge the username because the mobile version crapped out. My bad!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭Deviso

As well as everything being built in Portmarnock. There's planning permission for 550 units beside Clongriffin Station.

A reduction of even 1 Dart/Train is not feasible. Clongriffin/Portmarnock/Malahide residents are getting shafted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

just wait until they put the dart extension in place.....

Advertisement