Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Laois - Grand Canal Dock.. let's do a test!

• 02-08-2018 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,656 ✭✭✭✭

Morning all,

I need to be in the city centre next week for 10am coming from Portlaoise. Let's see how viable public transport really is shall we? :)

- I have a car and normally drive to south Dublin. Driving is still an option. There's a multi-story car park nearby but not sure of the day rates

- I've previously driven as far as the Red Cow and gotten the LUAS. This seems time-consuming (+40 minutes or so on the LUAS and waiting around time) and expensive (parking cost as well as the fares) on top of the fuel bills though

- Another option I suppose would be a CIE/JJK bus to the city centre. I've used the latter once or twice (€15 return I think it was) and it was alright if frustrating ("the "I would have been x miles further up the road by now if I'd driven" feeling as it plods along and detours off at Kildare)

- Getting a train would mean driving to the station (paid parking I think) and the costs there of course

- No I won't be cycling

- Don't have a Leap card

So, although this is a genuine need next week, I think it might be interesting and fun as a way of seeing how viable and cost-effective the alternatives to driving are for those like me who are commuting long distances these days.

What's my best choice? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Morning all,

I need to be in the city centre next week for 10am coming from Portlaoise. Let's see how viable public transport really is shall we? :)

- I have a car and normally drive to south Dublin. Driving is still an option. There's a multi-story car park nearby but not sure of the day rates

- I've previously driven as far as the Red Cow and gotten the LUAS. This seems time-consuming (+40 minutes or so on the LUAS and waiting around time) and expensive (parking cost as well as the fares) on top of the fuel bills though

- Another option I suppose would be a CIE/JJK bus to the city centre. I've used the latter once or twice (€15 return I think it was) and it was alright if frustrating ("the "I would have been x miles further up the road by now if I'd driven" feeling as it plods along and detours off at Kildare)

- Getting a train would mean driving to the station (paid parking I think) and the costs there of course

- No I won't be cycling

- Don't have a Leap card

So, although this is a genuine need next week, I think it might be interesting and fun as a way of seeing how viable and cost-effective the alternatives to driving are for those like me who are commuting long distances these days.

What's my best choice? :)

7:20am train out of Portlaois, change at Park West for the Phoenix Park tunnel service and arrive at Tara Street Station at 8:50.

1hr32mins

• Registered Users Posts: 36,093 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

1huge1 wrote: »
    7:20am train out of Portlaois, change at Park West for the Phoenix Park tunnel service and arrive at Tara Street Station at 8:50.

1hr32mins

Or stay on that train directly to Grand Canal Dock itself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭satguy

1hr32mins

There is a station on Barrow Street (Grand Canal Dock Train Station). so don't get off at Tara Street.
    https://moovitapp.com/?from=Portlaoise&to=Barrow%20Street,%20Dublin&fll=53.037013_-7.30131&tll=53.34013_-6.23648&timeType=arrive&time=1533290400000&customerId=4908&metroId=502&lang=en&t=1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Or stay on that train directly to Grand Canal Dock itself

Yeah would be the better option

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

They usual do an annual parking offer which is quiet good but you would need to wait a few months for it to start again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    They usual do an annual parking offer which is quiet good but you would need to wait a few months for it to start again.

I wonder would that still apply now that they've changed the provider to Apcoa

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I wonder would that still apply now that they've changed the provider to Apcoa

I was looking to see how everyone knew he wanted to go to grand canal dock as it's not in the text of the OP, only city Centre, that's why I said Tara Street.

I should pay more attention to the thread title I future...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,656 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Morning all,

First off.. thanks very much for the replies :) Some more details which may help..

I'm starting a new job which will normally be based in Kildare, but involves a few days in town first this week so this is only a short-term need - I actually wouldn't have accepted the job if it was based full-time in the City Centre because of the hassle and time involved in the commute, but for 4 days I'll live with it :) Need to be in by 10am.

I've been looking into this and the train is out - I'd have to drive to the station (I'm at the other end of the town), pay parking, pay train fare, (pay LUAS?) and the time lost and mode-changes, would be infuriating... bear in mind I don't live in Dublin anymore, drive everywhere and don't really DO public transport. I spent nearly 30 years dealing with Dublin Bus/Irish rail and wasted days of my life in missed connections, buses/trains that didn't run, and the rush hour crush was always fun when the bus drivers tried to beat their lap times. or trying to get downstairs while they bounced over the ramps up around Northside SC on the old 27.

That leaves me with...

- Buses (JJ Kavanagh or Bus Eireann as Deedsie says above) - either would do I suppose, but what are the 7AM loadings like? Would I be able to get a seat? (particularly on the JJK one which from the timetable starts in Limerick)
    I see enough eejitry from Dublin Coach on the roads daily (excessive speeding, last-minute lane changes and of course the regularly broken down coach on the road) that I'd rather avoid these if possible. The thread here would put anyone off too!

- Driving and LUAS - 3 options here: Red Cow P&R, Cheeverstown P&R (what's the security like here? It's a tenner cheaper than Red Cow. For a reason? It would have the advantage of being a bit further out the N7 from a traffic perspective), or I can drive to Sandyford, get free parking at my former office and get the Green Line

- On the bike point. I haven't cycled since I was a kid, and do enough driving around Dublin that the crappy roads, having buses and trucks passing you with inches to spare, jay-walking pedestrians, and idiots in cars/vans changing lanes without looking or indicating make this a non-runner for me.

I've bought myself a Leap card in advance of this so am setup there either way.

So, given the above, bus or LUAS? And which LUAS option? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kc56

Morning all,

First off.. thanks very much for the replies :) Some more details which may help..

I'm starting a new job which will normally be based in Kildare, but involves a few days in town first this week so this is only a short-term need - I actually wouldn't have accepted the job if it was based full-time in the City Centre because of the hassle and time involved in the commute, but for 4 days I'll live with it :) Need to be in by 10am.

I've been looking into this and the train is out - I'd have to drive to the station (I'm at the other end of the town), pay parking, pay train fare, (pay LUAS?) and the time lost and mode-changes, would be infuriating... bear in mind I don't live in Dublin anymore, drive everywhere and don't really DO public transport. I spent nearly 30 years dealing with Dublin Bus/Irish rail and wasted days of my life in missed connections, buses/trains that didn't run, and the rush hour crush was always fun when the bus drivers tried to beat their lap times. or trying to get downstairs while they bounced over the ramps up around Northside SC on the old 27.

That leaves me with...

- Buses (JJ Kavanagh or Bus Eireann as Deedsie says above) - either would do I suppose, but what are the 7AM loadings like? Would I be able to get a seat? (particularly on the JJK one which from the timetable starts in Limerick)
    I see enough eejitry from Dublin Coach on the roads daily (excessive speeding, last-minute lane changes and of course the regularly broken down coach on the road) that I'd rather avoid these if possible. The thread here would put anyone off too!

- Driving and LUAS - 3 options here: Red Cow P&R, Cheeverstown P&R (what's the security like here? It's a tenner cheaper than Red Cow. For a reason? It would have the advantage of being a bit further out the N7 from a traffic perspective), or I can drive to Sandyford, get free parking at my former office and get the Green Line

- On the bike point. I haven't cycled since I was a kid, and do enough driving around Dublin that the crappy roads, having buses and trucks passing you with inches to spare, jay-walking pedestrians, and idiots in cars/vans changing lanes without looking or indicating make this a non-runner for me.

Regarding trains, I use the trains frequently including the PPT trains to Grand Canal Dock. By and large they run on-time and the changeover from the Portlaoise-Heuston to PPT trains is well timed with 5-10 minutes waits. Add to that the horrendous traffic on the M7/N7 once the holiday period ends which affect the bus services as well as driving, train makes more sense. The fare with city-centre extensions includes train to Grand Canal Dock, Dublin Bus (90/1450, Luas to city centre.
    If you're starting in Portlaoise, there are the options of the express Cork and Limerick trains plus bus/luas.
    I think you should look again at the rail options. As I said, the services are quite reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,656 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

kc56 wrote: »
    Regarding trains, I use the trains frequently including the PPT trains to Grand Canal Dock. By and large they run on-time and the changeover from the Portlaoise-Heuston to PPT trains is well timed with 5-10 minutes waits. Add to that the horrendous traffic on the M7/N7 once the holiday period ends which affect the bus services as well as driving, train makes more sense. The fare with city-centre extensions includes train to Grand Canal Dock, Dublin Bus (90/1450, Luas to city centre.
    If you're starting in Portlaoise, there are the options of the express Cork and Limerick trains plus bus/luas.
    I think you should look again at the rail options. As I said, the services are quite reliable.

I'll only be doing it for a week though and the Irish Rail site (which doesn't seem to include fares in the banner journey planner) suggests it'd be hideously expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Morning all,

That leaves me with...

You need to get to Grand Canal Dock right? For simplicity sake I'd suggest driving to Red Cow and getting a Red Luas to NCI and then walking 10 minutes over the Beckett Bridge if you need to get in for 10. If it was an earlier start I'd have suggested driving to the old office and getting the Green Line into Charlemount but the M50 around 9 is the 7th circle of hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

How about driving far closer in and parking free somewhere very near Luas red line?

Honestly, for four days. I’d probably find out what a days parking in car park costs and be done with it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

I was looking to see how everyone knew he wanted to go to grand canal dock as it's not in the text of the OP, only city Centre, that's why I said Tara Street.

I should pay more attention to the thread title I future...

I was caught out too!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Parkpnp, e12 a day for that area

Advertisement