Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2020 - General Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Bit of a difference between Met Eireann's forecast and MT's this morning. MT's is the more optimistic,lets hope he is right

high pressure is ridging up from the south-west for a few days, apart from the odd light shower it looks mostly dry between now and next Friday, then back to normal service with Autumn really setting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Gonzo wrote: »
    high pressure is ridging up from the south-west for a few days, apart from the odd light shower it looks mostly dry between now and next Friday, then back to normal service with Autumn really setting in.

Met Eireann are giving widespread showers for later today,showers or longer spells of rain for the north tomorrow,more widespread showers for sunday and then rain spreading eastwards on monday in their long range forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Some heavy showers in Castlebar this morning and quite gusty at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Feeling very autumnal these past couple of days, cool and windy in Letterkenny with a few heavy showers. Nice and bright in between at least

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭pauldry

Very autumnal already but it will be warm next week and I wouldnt be surprised to see 23 or 24c in Pheonix Park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Exuberant and full of life out there! Wonderful and invigorating. West Mayo offshore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

There's just one fecking ex American storm after another getting dragged across the upper latitudes on the jet stream, so while it'll not be the worst it's never quite going to settle down.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a bit more showery today than I was expecting. Managed to get the grass cut, however it looks more like I tried to cut the grass with a Formula One car than a ride on mower as the tyres sank into the saturated soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Got a fairly heavy shower down near Limerick City at around midday. There seem to be a good bit of rain or showers forecast over the next few days in spite of rising pressure. I have a field of silage to cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

a bit more showery today than I was expecting. Managed to get the grass cut, however it looks more like I tried to cut the grass with a Formula One car than a ride on mower as the tyres sank into the saturated soil.

You must have awful soil there as the soil both here and in at my folks' in Garristown seems to be much less saturated. The local green got cut today and there were no tyre marks when I walked the dog a while ago.

Soil moisture defecits for well and moderatly drained soils are both currently 2 mm while it's -8 mm (practically saturated) for poorly drained soils. You must be in the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Same here! Whole parts of the lawn are now just mud. Well at least it'll stop growing soon enough.
    Chilly wind and V autumnal in Dublin 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Found yesterday and today pleasant in Dublin to be honest. A few passing showers but good sunny spells.

Listening to the wind in the background is very atmospheric and rather soothing. A lullaby rather than a warning.

My gas bottle ran out yesterday, and changing to the spare in a wind-whipped deluge was very..... interesting.

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭degsie

Again, it rained today.

degsie wrote: »
    Again, it rained today.

As Shakespeare said, " The rain it raineth every day."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭pauldry

I think the days of distinct weather for different seasons is changing. One good thing now is you can get a nice warm day in Spring Summer or Autumn but maybe not Winter. But it can rain very heavy any day now and it rains heavier in warmer temperatures. I think it rains about 10 to 20 per cent more in the past 5 years in the West than it used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Surprisingly it remained dry in cork city yesterday and was warm and humid with sunny spells.

This morning is another nice morning with patches of blue sky and cloud around but dry again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Sunny in Wexford again this morning, and yesterday was nice as well. The sky was almost completely clear last night

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

This September seems to be going the way of July and August. Very little in the way of actual sunshine to be had the last few days despite the broken, watery, bleached out colourless sky. We live in a beautiful country, but our sky is easily the most repulsively and consistently bland on planet earth.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭esposito

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    This September seems to be going the way of July and August. Very little in the way of actual sunshine to be had the last few days despite the broken, watery, bleached out colourless sky. We live in a beautiful country, but our sky is easily the most repulsively and consistently bland on planet earth.

Yep it appears to be a rinse and repeat job alright. Start of the month pretty good and then it deteriorates as the month goes on. I would love to have a full month where it’s dominated by high pressure close to us (ideally to our north) with no Atlantic influence whatsoever. Seems too much to ask for in this country.
    Wouldn’t it be amazing to get this for one of the winter months dragging in cold continental winds. I’ll keep daydreaming..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Showery morning here 14 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

esposito wrote: »
    Yep it appears to be a rinse and repeat job alright. Start of the month pretty good and then it deteriorates as the month goes on. I would love to have a full month where it’s dominated by high pressure close to us (ideally to our north) with no Atlantic influence whatsoever. Seems too much to ask for in this country.
    Wouldn’t it be amazing to get this for one of the winter months dragging in cold continental winds. I’ll keep daydreaming..

To be fair we did have that from mid March to the June bank holiday with only a few brief Atlantic interruptions. Though obviously we couldn't really take advantage and enjoy it because of lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭esposito

To be fair we did have that from mid March to the June bank holiday with only a few brief Atlantic interruptions. Though obviously we couldn't really take advantage and enjoy it because of lockdown

I know we did and was grateful for it but wouldn’t it be nice to get it for a month or longer in the summer or winter.

Overcast and breezy in D5. Dull dull dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Very heavy rain approaching Galway right now...seems to be losing intensity now on the radar just as it arrives

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Carol25

Bright fresh morning followed by heavy rain this evening South of Athenry. It seems we won’t have an Indian summer in September this year with the return of schools.
    Had a tree down beside our house after Storm Ellen, glad it didn’t do too much damage.

Carol25 wrote: »
    Bright fresh morning followed by heavy rain this evening South of Athenry. It seems we won’t have an Indian summer in September this year with the return of schools.
    Had a tree down beside our house after Storm Ellen, glad it didn’t do too much damage.

certainly no warmth this September. Monday and Tuesday will be fairly mild but from Wednesday it turns much cooler again and we will be back into a very unsettled scene from next weekend.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Great day here in Kerry, started a bit overcast and coolish but loads of sunshine from late morning up until early evening, overcast again and some light rain ( 0.4mm ).

Got up to a respectable 17.0C, 13.4C atm.

Out building a wall much of the day, hope the showers clear early tomorrow and I will get out again. Looks much the same Temperature.

anim_tfr0.gif

aromehd-41-26-0_fgm5.png

Really gorgeous day here by the Bailey lighthouse in Howth. Spectacular views, the air is so clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Bit of a difference between Met Eireann's forecast and MT's this morning. MT's is the more optimistic,lets hope he is right

Unfortunately so far for my area Met Eireann's forecast has been more accurate

Advertisement