Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Folk and Trad Songs/Videos

• 27-02-2009 6:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭

This isn't so much a list of 'the worlds greatest folk songs', just your favourite.

For me, The Green Fields of France (Willy Mac Bride), And the Band Played Waltzing Mathilda, and The Town I loved so well are among my favourite tunes, folk or otherwise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 captain a

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Great idea, thread stuck.
    Post your favorite but try not to be spamalicious!

hi,
    i wasnt trying to be spammy, i just actaully posted that tune in a seporate thread, but somone moved/edited it meantimes, hence the completely irrelevant tagging.

my own favourite of late would be this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z3A5Tgy47M

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

captain a wrote: »
    hi,
    but somone moved/edited it meantimes

That person would be me. A thread with no discussion and just a link to a YouTube video is hugely pointless. Whereas this thread isnt so much of the pointless! So I merged them for the benefit of all!
    You werent being spammy, dont worry! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Song for Ireland
    Molly Ban (one a many different names)
    Streets of New York
    McShane
    Dreams of Home

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Don't think this has been done before, if it has then apologies!
    Here's a few to get it started, you'll notice I'm slightly banjo biased!:D

Shona Kipling and Damien O'Kane

Damien O'Kane

Gerry O'Connor

Darren Maloney

James Kelly

So lets see your favourites, might find some new trad I didn't know before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Luke Kelly's rendition of Joe Hill,
    The Fureys - Belfast Mill
    Ewan McColl & Peggy Seeger - Derek Bentley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

U2's version of the Spring Hill Mining disaster
    or
    Sinéad O'Connor's version of Peggy Gordon
    or
    Liam Clancy's version of The Rocky Road to Dublin
    or
    Van Morrison's version of The Star of the county Down

among many favourites

• Advertisement

More stuff!

Kevin Burke:

John, James and John Jnr. Kelly:

Damien Mullan:

Andgelina Carberry & Martin Quinn:

Lúnasa(Kevin Crawford):

Caoimhín O'Raghallaigh & Mick O'Brien:

So has anyone got any to add? Or is the forum only for rebel music at this stage?:pac:

captain a wrote: »

we put a harp on this today, so that link is a dud now, it sounds cooler and its moved here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BYyaClsX_o

k thnx bai

Here's some more stuff, all full length gigs, brilliant for seeing bands live that you haven't had the chance to see yet!:)

Flook

Paddy Keenan

Sharon Shannon

Lúnasa

Kevin Burke

Dervish

Four Men and a Dog

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Great thread!

Hey Jesjes, I don't mind the threads being moved together, but do you think a title change is in order? None of the videos I posted are folk songs, all instrumental trad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Green fields of France by Dropkick Murphys is mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

by the many wonderful Folk singers and songs We have,I think,Just a rock in the Atlantic,SO much Talent

Locamon wrote: »
    U2's version of the Spring Hill Mining disaster
    or
    Sinéad O'Connor's version of Peggy Gordon
    or
    Liam Clancy's version of The Rocky Road to Dublin
    or
    Van Morrison's version of The Star of the county Down

among many favourites

I Remember the Magical Late late show,the 25 Years of the Dubliners,
    I was no fan of Bono(only like his voice when He sings Lol)
    When He sang it He blew me away!!!!!!!!
    What a Voice,when He use,s it to SING Ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Pollythene Pam

Dainty Davey. A tradition song that has stood the test of time.
    Especially when sung by Luke Kelly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I've been enjoying Carrickfergus by Alan Connaught recently. Also Tommy Sands 'There were Roses'. This island is literally streaming from the seams with brilliant folk musicians. The pity is that we never hear them on the radio or anything like that. You really need to go to old dance halls, pubs, hotels etc. to hear these people. Or youtube :D

• Advertisement

Denerick wrote: »
    I've been enjoying Carrickfergus by Alan Connaught recently. Also Tommy Sands 'There were Roses'. This island is literally streaming from the seams with brilliant folk musicians. The pity is that we never hear them on the radio or anything like that. You really need to go to old dance halls, pubs, hotels etc. to hear these people. Or youtube :D

Hi.
    I love that song there were roses.
    onetime I was singing I wish I was in carrickfergus and a witty flat mate said "Aye so the **** do We lol.

There is a song called Kilkelly Ireland I once heard sung on the late late show,it is based on a whole bunch of letters found in an attic of a house in America.The letters spanned many Years and were from the parents of one of their children forced by poverty to emigrate never to return.
    I know I am giving very skimpy information but wonder if anybody knows who sang it?
    It,s title may not even be kilkelly Ireland,it was very poignent song though.I know its a long shot but would love to know more about song&artist so I could find a copy of it?
    Thanks in advance :)

Oops. ynotdu see below..

ynotdu wrote: »
    Hi.
    I love that song there were roses.
    onetime I was singing I wish I was in carrickfergus and a witty flat mate said "Aye so the **** do We lol.

There is a song called Kilkelly Ireland I once heard sung on the late late show,it is based on a whole bunch of letters found in an attic of a house in America.The letters spanned many Years and were from the parents of one of their children forced by poverty to emigrate never to return.
    I know I am giving very skimpy information but wonder if anybody knows who sang it?
    It,s title may not even be kilkelly Ireland,it was very poignent song though.I know its a long shot but would love to know more about song&artist so I could find a copy of it?
    Thanks in advance :)

I posted a link to this song already in this thread. ;)

Story and song here..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm3cpx-9kPg

Possibly the saddest and most beautiful song I've ever heard.. :(

You can find it on 'Green Fields of America - Live in Concert'. It's available on iTunes.

There's also a Dubliners recording of this song but it's not a patch on Robbie O' Connells version in my opinion.

I posted a link to this song already in this thread. ;)

Story and song here..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm3cpx-9kPg

Possibly the saddest and most beautiful song I've ever heard.. :(

You can find it on 'Green Fields of America - Live in Concert'. It's available on iTunes.

There's also a Dubliners recording of this song but it's not a patch on Robbie O' Connells version in my opinion.

Have listened to it three times already and still has the same effect as first time i heard it.

how stupid I was not to spot it on your original post,only excuse I can offer is I was and still am a newbie to boards.ie.It may say I have made over 300 posts but 298 of them were me telling mods how wonderful they are:D or I had taken too much *whiskey in the jar;)*

Really thanks a million!

I am posting a link below to the song *Clare to here* It was a number 1 for the Fureys but the link is to Ralph Mc Tell singing it as he wrote it when sharing a flat with three Irish bricklayers in the UK.
    The Fureys changed his version and when i saw him perform in Ireland he had to sing his own song as a cover of the Fureys version(by his own admission:)) I prefer his version and He IS as gentle a guy as his songs(streets of London etc)suggest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmDfehaYayE

banjopaul wrote: »

Hi Banjopaul,I,m not really a fan of traditional Irish music without Lyrics but got a good buzz from this,It is Barney McKenna(image wise always painted the *stupid* one in the Dubliners.He plays a Medley of tunes on the banjo.where would You or others who might check it out put his talents compared to others on a scale of 1 to 10?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scawc6Q9heI&feature=related

Hi Banjopaul,I,m not really a fan of traditional Irish music without Lyrics but got a good buzz from this,It is Barney McKenna(image wise always painted the *stupid* one in the Dubliners.He plays a Medley of tunes on the banjo.where would You or others who might check it out put his talents compared to others on a scale of 1 to 10?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scawc6Q9heI&feature=related

Well he has to be respected seeing as he was responsible in a big way for popularising the banjo in trad, and fair play to him for that, but to be honest he's not that great a musician, like nowhere near as technically talented as the players that are around now, even in that video he hits plenty of bum notes. He has a feel for the music alright, but there's nothing special at all about the way he plays in my opinion.

For a bit of contrast have a look at this:

Brilliant music, far better than McKenna, in my opinion of course, and thats only a young lad who I happened to stumble across on the comhaltas site, like not someone famous at all.

You should try get into the instrumental music a bit, its all linked in as part of the tradition! Can't do any harm anyway!:)

Edit: I purposefully didn't give a rating out of ten, music is far to complex to simplify it down to a rating.

banjopaul wrote: »
    Well he has to be respected seeing as he was responsible in a big way for popularising the banjo in trad, and fair play to him for that, but to be honest he's not that great a musician, like nowhere near as technically talented as the players that are around now, even in that video he hits plenty of bum notes. He has a feel for the music alright, but there's nothing special at all about the way he plays in my opinion.

Brilliant music, far better than McKenna, in my opinion of course, and thats only a young lad who I happened to stumble across on the comhaltas site, like not someone famous at all.

You should try get into the instrumental music a bit, its all linked in as part of the tradition! Can't do any harm anyway!:)

Edit: I purposefully didn't give a rating out of ten, music is far to complex to simplify it down to a rating.

I cannot deny the talent of that guy and i realise how difficult an instrument the Banjo is to play,still i did not get the umph from it that a good Ballad can give.I do find though when sometimes i,m in Clare and in a pub amongst an appreciative crowd I can get right into it(with some aid from alcohol)as if that is were Irish jigs&reels were meant for, that enviroment(or in poorest of times playing amongst neighbours in thatched cottages&sipping poition)for whatever reason i can enjoy ballads sober and without company:confused:

same thing happens to me when i watch Irish dancing leaves me a bit cold but the UMPH put into it by for instance Riverdance makes it more appealing,so i guess some of it is my problem:)

I should have been a bit clearer about the 1 to 10,even though it is slightly off topic for this thread,what i really meant was say compared to Bluegrass etc, that can be very lively!,proably wiser that you did not try to compare even on a narrower basis though.
    Regards

Thanks for the clip and the speedy reply&hey great that these traditions are being kept alive,was looking like Ireland wanted to ditch ALL its heritage&culture during the *boom*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Hi Scien,I enjoyed both those clips.what put the UMPH in was the Uileann pipes on Davy Spillane and the bodhron on the Corrs.

I think the Fureys vocal talents leave a lot to be desired but not their brilliance at playing musical instruments!

As haunting as kilkelly is(with lyrics)First time I heard Finbar Furey play this on the Uileann pipes it blew me away!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8rULrp_J5E&feature=related

• Advertisement

Have listened to it three times already and still has the same effect as first time i heard it.

how stupid I was not to spot it on your original post,only excuse I can offer is I was and still am a newbie to boards.ie.It may say I have made over 300 posts but 298 of them were me telling mods how wonderful they are:D or I had taken too much *whiskey in the jar;)*

Really thanks a million!

I am posting a link below to the song *Clare to here* It was a number 1 for the Fureys but the link is to Ralph Mc Tell singing it as he wrote it when sharing a flat with three Irish bricklayers in the UK.
    The Fureys changed his version and when i saw him perform in Ireland he had to sing his own song as a cover of the Fureys version(by his own admission:)) I prefer his version and He IS as gentle a guy as his songs(streets of London etc)suggest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmDfehaYayE

Glad you enjoyed it! Just out of interest, was it the version you were looking for?

'It almost breaks my heart when I think of Josephine, I promised her I'd be coming back with pockets full of green.' Ralph McTell is one of my favourite songwriters! Good choice! :cool:

The Lonesome Boatman Poem if you haven't come across it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3cl7Q2GI50

Advertisement