Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Movies on TV

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 tragedyman1978

Death on the Nile on RTE1 on Saturday !!!
    Its class, pure old fashioned entertainment, all star cast, Peter Ustinov as Hercule Poirot !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,995 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Apocalypse Now
    tonight (thurs 27th sept) 9pm/10pm film4/film4+1

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

eolhc wrote:
    Apocalypse Now
    tonight (thurs 27th sept) 9pm/10pm film4/film4+1
    Just bought Redux from CDWOW for £1.99 last week!

Might compare and contrast tonight! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

1.99 for Redux? You got ripped off. That reissue is a piece of trash. Copolla didn't even clean up some of the inserted scenes (eg meeting the french family) so they look like an eyesore compared to the main footage.

Copolla = sad old man looking for a cash-in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

O Brother, Where Art Thou? Tonight (30th September), RTE 2, 9 pm. A must watch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Film: The Crazies
    On: Channel 4
    Date: Wednesday 7th November
    Time: 02:35

(1973, Horror, George Romero) The US Army moves into a town to investigate a mysteriously infected water supply, only to find it has had a sinister effect on the people who've drunk it, turning them into homicidal killers.

Romero's reasonably low-budget third film which is full of the usual harsh powerful imagery and gloomy themes that his films tend to deliver.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,075 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Channel 4 - Monday / Tuesday morning (depending on how literal you want to be) - 00.10 - Zatoichi
    It's up for film of the week this week so here's a chance to get some support for the film. Takeshi Kitano's remake of the blind swordman story is probably not as strong as some of his other films, but it still makes for compelling viewing. Plus, it has the most downright superb and non-sensical ending of the last decade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

FILM: Re-Animator
    On: Channel 4
    Date: Sunday 9th December 2007 (starting in 21 days)
    Time: 01:05 to 02:50 (1 hour and 45 minutes long)

Loosely based on H P Lovecraft's classic horror tale, Stuart Gordon's film stars Jeffrey Combs as Herbert West, a young scientist who has a good head on his shoulders... and another on the lab table in front of him. Gordon, borrowing from every comic book and B-movie he's ever read or seen, creates a wonderfully OTT tale of body parts being put together that's part horrific, part fun and always enjoyable.
    (Premiere, Widescreen, 1985, 18, 4 Star)

Director: Stuart Gordon
    Starring: Jeffrey Combs, Bruce Abbott, Barbara Crampton, David Gale, Robert Sampson, Gerry Black

Excellent horror on tonight at 10pm. The descent

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

I liked the ending of that movie. :eek:(The descent that is)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Phantasm 2 on BBC 1 @ 1am tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,995 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Pans Labyrinth
    monday 9pm film4

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

BBC1 tonight after midnight - Color of Night its one of those films that isn't much good but can be fun to watch.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Oh my God is anyone watching this! :D:D Definite new leader in the 'Worst Movie I Ever Saw' category! Seriously....I don't know where to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Two coming up - tonight BBC2 Thirst an Aussie vampire flick which is well regarded by those in the know and tomorrow night one of the greatest films of its era The Sweet Smell of Success. Burt Lancaster and Tony Curtis in blistering form on the streets of Manhattan chewing up and spitting out all who stand in thier way.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,642 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Total Recall tonight at 9 on RTE 2!

Paul Verhoeven at his best, good old fashioned arnie mayhem, 4 boobed chick, taken from a Phillip K Dick storey (we can remember it for you wholesale), Sharon Stone, loads of guns/explosions/fights, and Mars! This movie has it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    4 boobed chick
    She had 3 boobs.. you don't forget something like that! :D

basquille wrote: »
    She had 3 boobs.. you don't forget something like that! :D

i was positive of that too, till i saw this recently!
    http://www.slateman.net/images/misc/total-recall.jpg

Will keep my eyes pealed when the scene comes up anyway..purely for verification purposes only of course..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

i was positive of that too, till i saw this recently!
    http://www.slateman.net/images/misc/total-recall.jpg

Will keep my eyes pealed when the scene comes up anyway..purely for verification purposes only of course..
    It was definitely 3.

It was a reference to the Triple-Breasted Whore of Eroticon 6 form the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

aye, just the 3! thats what i always thought till i saw that pic, it must be a photoshop or something..

• Registered Users Posts: 34,352 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Oh no! 3 boob chick got shot! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

aye, just the 3! thats what i always thought till i saw that pic, it must be a photoshop or something..
    You just don't forget 3 boobs, not even with photoshop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

Total Recall is on again tonight (UTV 22:30), but there are two even better films on:

Arlington Road: a film about terrorism and paranoia, with one of the greatest twist endings I have ever seen. It was made in 1999, didn't get shown much after September 2001, but now it carries an extra layer of resonant meaning.
    TV3, 21:50

Taxi Driver: need I say more? New York looks very different today, this is set before "Zero Tolerance" and the Disneyfication of Times Square.
    Channel4, 0:45

also: Mad Dog and Glory is on: I haven't seen that, but the reviews are encouraging - another good De Niro film, I read.
    UTV, 02:25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

Zoolander
    I seen better but a reasonably good watch
    Friday RTE2 9:35

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

It's on pretty late but The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is on tonight at 1:10am on Channel four. Well worth the watch. Brilliant horror film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

On RTE 1, late Monday night (01:55 -03:55 on Tuesday morning).

This is a faithful version of the Anne Tyler book, with an Oscar-winning performance from Geena Davis, as a kooky dog trainer. The dog belongs to a man (William Hurt) who has totally withdrawn in to himself, after his son was killed and his wife (Kathleen Turner) left him... and the dog's misbehaviour leads to a broken leg.

Well, I thought the book was excellent, and the film even better. It's not an easy watch, but rewarding as an insight in to how men deal with life, and there are quite a few funny moments too. (Gorp? What is Gorp?) The reviews were mixed, depending on how well the critics got it: I think Roger Ebert's review was spot-on.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,443 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Tell No One (Ne le dis à personne) is on Sky Premiere this week (just after midnight, every night). Excellent little thriller with Kristen Scott Thomas.

Based on the Harlan Coben book, Tell No One. Rating of 7.4 on IMDB
    The pediatrician Alexandre Beck misses his beloved wife Margot Beck, who was brutally murdered eight years ago when he was the prime suspect. When two bodies are found near where the corpse of Margot was dumped, the police reopen the case and Alex becomes suspect again. The mystery increases when Alex receives an e-mail showing Margot older and alive.

Worth Sky+ing at least for a rainy night ....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,075 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Kung Fu Hustle - tonight, C4, 12.10: mental martial arts film which makes little to no sense, but is one of the most brilliantly excessive films in many years. Stupidly fun

Belle De Jour - Friday, TG4, 11:40: a supposedly fantastic Luis Bunél surreal drama from 1967 about a housewife who becomes a prostitute.

Advertisement